Rojo Mexican Bistro - Novi
44375 twelve mile road
Novi, MI 48377Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
Rojo Mexican Bistro - Novi
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.rojomexicanbistro.com/
- Phone: (248) 374-4600
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Everyday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Wednesday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Thursday 4:00pm - 11 pm, Friday and Saturday 4:00pm - 12:00am, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Mexican
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Rojo Mexican Bistro - Novi
Authentic Mexican fare, great drinks, and extensive amounts of tequila have never looked so goodContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Rojo Mexican Bistro - Novi reviews from OpenTable diners
24 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (10)good for groups (9)special occasion (7)late-night find (3)vibrant bar scene (3)great for lunch (3)kid-friendly (3)hot spot (3)great for outdoor dining (2)neighborhood gem (2)romantic (2)notable wine list (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Make sure to order the right dishOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/7/2014I think the experience of this restaurant depends on the dish you order. I read reviews before going , and after our group's experience I can guess that it depends on the entree ordered. I agree with other reviewers who say the mixed drinks are weak. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON MIXED DRINKS/MARGARITAS HERE! The chips were good, the salsa was fresh and the appetizer of table side guacamole was excellent. I was looking forward to my entree until it came. The re-fried beans were average, the rice was horrible, and my wet burrito was bland and disappointing. I would have rated this restaurant with 1 star had I not tasted my husbands dish.. I would have never guessed both came from the same restaurant, it was great. It's all in what you order.
- Taco nightRickDined on 11/4/2014Great selection on taco night will keep coming back beer specials tooSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- celiaDined on 11/1/2014My husband and I dined here the other night and loved it! The service was excellent! I enjoyed a unique cocktail called Agave Spice. Gold tequila, lime and chili infused agave in a martini glass. Spicy yum! The tableside guacamole was fabulous! My husband had some great fajitas and I had mussels that were in a delicious sauce. Will dine there again for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/24/2014Food was awesome! It was a great place to go for a Friday night dinner date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Okay food - great ambienceflavorDined on 10/18/2014I would recommend this as a date place, great tequila selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful Restaurant, Great FoodTheInformantDined on 10/4/2014I had a wonderful and memorable evening dining at Rojo. The decor inside is beautiful and spacious, and yet still intimate enough to be relaxing and private. Our food came in large portions and tasted fabulous, and they made some of the best Margaritas I've ever had. They also have a very extensive Tequila selection, if that's your thing. The service was good and friendly, with a few touches of flare that made it feel even more fancy. I had a great time at Rojo, and I would recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MY #1 Stop for MexicanLovetoeatVIPDined on 9/20/2014Rojo just catapulted to the very top of my list of Mexian restaurants to go to. We arrived early afternoon and were immediately seated. We ordered the tableside Guac. as an appetizer and I must say, it was the best one I've had. Eveyone really liked their food, I had the Chimichanga and the outer wrap was light and flaky, not greasy at all. It was packed with meat, melted cheese, and all sorts of other flavors inside every bite. The Margaritas were great, and the price was even better. My friend ordered a shrimp dish in a red sauce. the flavor was exceptional and it was packed with so many large shrimp. Service was also great. Will definitely be making this my go-to place for Mexican food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Upscale Mexican FoodAngelDined on 8/31/2014Not your usual mexican fare where everything tastes the same. 3 in our party ordered tableside guac, shrimp diablp tacos, scallop tacos, and enchilades verdes. All was good -- could have been hotter temperature-wise. The beans were almost cold. Food came out really fast after the guac made at the table. Margaritas were good too. Food tasted great though and would go again.Special Features:
- SurprisedDoctorandMrsFDined on 8/23/2014Went to Rojo on a Saturday night. Our table was ready for us on time. We enjoyed the table side guacamole very much . The salsa wasn't bad and they had hot sauces in two flavors to add to it which helped. The chips were somewhat fresh. We live across the street from a popular Mexican restaurant and we drove 20 minutes to go to Rojo. It was worth it , we will return .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 294 reviews are from the Rojo Mexican Bistro - Novi reviews archive.
- Not Very good..................SbyersDined on 7/26/2014We went to Rojo's on a recommendation from a friend. We do not live close to the Novi location, but we decided to try anyway. I was kind of disappointed that the restaurant was kind of dirty and the booth that we were sat in, was ripped and taped up. I found the pricing a little high for Mexican, but figured if it was great food, well worth it. My husband asked the waiter about the fish (Mahi Mahi) tacos and they were recommended. When he brought them, you could smell the fishy smell right away. My husband could not eat them and sent them back. I ordered the chicken enchiladas which the chicken was in chunks, not shredded. And I thought a small portion for the price. I do not think we will be going back. Sticking to Mexican Village.Special Features:
- InfomercialOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/18/2014When we booked this restaurant, we were unaware that it is a franchise -- with a mission to sell their customers a membership. The waiters are trained to present the buy-in option to diners. We weren't interested so found it kind of annoying. Food was ok, and service was just ok too. I ordered a drink to be served with the meal. The beverage never appeared despite a reminder to our waiter and a request to other personnel. While we like the ambiance of this mall location, we are unlikely to return to Rojo.
- TerrificOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/16/2014Rojo has terrific food----great guacamole made table side. Service was very good.Special Features:
- Our go to Mexican foodicemanDined on 7/12/2014Rojo is our go to Mexican food place. We've never had a bad meal and the prices are reasonable. Great margaritas as well!Special Features:
- upscale mexicansusieqDined on 6/21/2014Love Rojo's tableside quacamole, Tastes like my homemadeSpecial Features:
- Gathering with friendsdragonladyDined on 6/19/2014I love it when I order the guacamole and they come right to the table and make it right there. The food, drinks, and atmosphere is fabulous.Special Features:
- FabulousCrdjnmDined on 5/31/2014Rojo was an excellent dining experience. Our waiter Ryan was awesome he was personable attentive and offered numerous suggestions. He was very knowledgable about the various menu offerings and took the time to interact with us on various occasions. The food was phenomenal the stuffed jalapeños were amazing. The shrimp diabla was just the right amount of spicy and flavorful. Awesome experience great for date night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not greatShanthiDined on 5/30/2014food is good, good for groups and i like the ambience. Waiter checked for water and stuff promptly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Avoid the ChimichangaOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/3/2014Disappointed with my main course. The Chimichanga was more like a Chick Pot Pie.
- Got Tequila?RedWineLover88Dined on 4/18/2014Great selection of tequilas and the sangria was yummy. Red wine was ok. Table side guac was fresh, needed salt and lime juice, then it was very good. Server was new and made some errors, but effort was good and she was pleasant. Very moist strawberry shortcake-like cake. We will go back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Date nightOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/18/2014This was a good place for a quick dinner before heading over to the movies.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good atmosphereeazeDined on 4/15/2014The food was good, the ambience good - our service was outstanding! It was a slow night so the noise level was low - but perfect for an evening for visiting with a group of people.Special Features:
- YumOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/4/2014Everything was great. The margaritas are delicious and so was the calamari and enchiladas. Service was excellent as well!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mexican delishzechandmandyDined on 4/4/2014The food was delicious & the dessert was mouth watering. Great place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Girls Night OutMichellekrashDined on 3/22/2014This was the first time I have dined at Rojo and I'm so happy I made reservations! This place was CRAZY busy! My girlfriend & I had a very small table & seemed to run out of room before our dinners even came out! We tried the guacamole - prepared tableside was nice, but we were hoping it would be made to our order - more tomato, less cilantro, etc. Luckily, he did ask how spicey we wanted it. Between the salsa, guacamole & chips & HUGE JUMBO Margarita's we were filling up. Dinner - wet buritto was great & her tacos looked good, beans & rice were good...rice wasbn't dry like some restaurants. To top it off - a dessert to die for!!! It was moist! Tthe table worked and the service more than made up for it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and very goodBillJDined on 3/21/2014Excellent food and very good service - well above averageSpecial Features:
- Always a great timeBYPhotoDined on 3/11/2014This was the 4th time I've been to Rojo in Novi, I brought 3 newbies with me and they truly enjoyed their meals and their drinks and are quite likely to return. We love the Taco Tuesday specials and it cushioned the blow to my wallet since it was my treat. The table side guacamole is a great option since you can have them customize it to your taste, ie not to spicy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not satisfiedlovetoeatDined on 3/1/2014I was not satisfied with the food, I also feel the food was over price. I had the burrito bowl and I think Chipotle burrito bowl is much better and cheaper. Sorry :(Special Features:
- Menu has been totally revampedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/1/2014Menu has been totally revamped and the dish that I used to get was not on the menu. I believe it was called the Relenos? It was stuffed jumbo shrimp. I opted for another shrimp dish and I was not pleased. The calamari was the worst calamari i have ever had. the stuffed peppers had No spice to them at all. I will not be dining here again.Special Features:
- Good eats!minnieDined on 2/15/2014We were in a party of four - the food was very, very good. It came in a timely manner and was hot and fresh. Your bar seemed to be a bit behind- we waited a LONG time for our cocktails. The server said he were running low on glasses:(. He also told us the house margarita wasn't very good - we should go with the "Special" margarita. It was okay, but way too expensive. Our bar bill far out-priced our food bill and we only had 2 drinks each.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Needs UpdatingOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/9/2014While the food was good (not great), the restaurant is getting a little tired. My chair was so wobbly that I had to switch it with a chair frmo another table. This location has gone downhill since it opened, Our server, on the other hand, was wonderful. I was disappointed that we were not permitted to pay with gift cards because we had taken advantage of the Sunday night special. Evidently, there is a policy that you can't do both, but that policy is not on the specials menu (or anywhere else that I could find)
- Love Mexican foodAndraDined on 2/7/2014We eat at Rojo a few times a month but this last visit was a disappointment. For a place that was not busy service was slow even the guy that made guacamole table side took forever and over salted it. I witness the wait staff having more personal conversations time then time spent servicing their customers. We eat out a lot and I don't appreciate when you have to wonder where your server went or have to nap someone else to please find them. Again if the place was busy I would of understood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Such a disappointmentJoyceDined on 1/18/2014The open table seating was great. While shopping in the area, I did a search for restaurants. I had come across the name Rojo several times reading magazines and reviews. I only had a table for 2 as this appeared to be a happening spot with several large groups. It took awhile to be greeted at my table for drinks. No alcoholic beverages were purchased. Lemons had to be requested at least 4 times for my ice tea. The waitress recommended the Margherita Chicken (I believe this was the dish) over the Chimichanga. The Margherita Chicken was totally bland with no flavor whatsoever. I asked for limes to give the chicken taste but this didn't work either. My dog ended up eating the chicken. -sorry but true -Special Features:
- Great RestaurantMonicaDined on 1/18/2014The food was great with reasonable prices! The atmosphere was very inviting. This was my first time at Rojo. I will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RojoOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/31/2013It was not my first time in Rojo and I m very pleased with food, as usually. I cannot say the same about service. This time it was very slowly, non attentive and very forgetful. It was look like the server either never work in this field before or just filled the spot because of busy night. Other than this its no complain.Special Features:
- Fresh mexican food!marbear79Dined on 12/31/2013This is one of my favorite mexican restauraunts. The food is fresh and the service is great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food So-SoOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/31/2013We made reservations for New Year's Eve for an early dinner with our 14 year old son. We got seated right away, which was nice. The guacamole that is made table side was excellent. The calamari was horrible, very weird texture. The steak and chicken fajitas were just OK. Nothing great. The steak was grisly and over-cooked. We've been there before and the food is usually good, but it was not on New Year's Eve. We may give it another chance.Special Features:
- Good Food- Disorganized serviceJoeBlowDined on 12/26/2013Our server was inexperienced but friendly and tried his best. The bar was poorly managed: it took no less than 25 minutes to get our first drink order. A Margarita in a Mexican restaurant should not be a challenge. Our appetizer arrived, but we were out of chips for the guacamole and had no silverware. I got the chips myself. We wanted to have a draught beer and were told the draught was inoperable, but then I saw one go by with another server, so eventually I got one. We'll try this place once more; hopefully they've just opened and haven't figured it all out yet. Good food, but inexcusable service.Special Features:
- Good Food. Fun for a date nightOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/21/2013Everything was great but the music at the bar was loud & not relevant to the restaurant theme. I've eaten in the main dining room before & enjoyed that more. However the food & service were both great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not the GreatestNotagainDined on 12/20/2013This place is not the best place for mexican food. The food was edible, but not good. Very bland with no spice or flavor. The best thing I had was the cocktail, which was full of flavor. I enjoyed my time at the restaurant, but it will be a place i will never visit again.Special Features:
- Food was BlahmazdaDined on 11/9/2013Food was blah! My husbands dish was not very hot. I havent been there in a ear but it appears they have changed their menu and prices. It use to be a hgh end Mexican restaurant now it is nothing special. Salsa tasted like tomatoe sauce no flavors. They use to have little ottles of spices to add to salsa to get the degree of hotness that you desired. They no longer have it just a dish of sauce. Service was goodSpecial Features: