261 College Street
New Haven, CT 06510Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://roiarestaurant.com/
- Phone: (203) 200-7045
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 10:30am - 2:30pm
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 2:00pm
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm -10:00pm
Sunday: 4:30pm - 7:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, French, Contemporary European
- Executive Chef: Avi Szapiro
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from ROÌA Restaurant
ROÌA Restaurant is located in the heart of downtown New Haven next to the Shubert Theater and adjacent to Yale University campus. ROÌA is housed in what was originally the grand restaurant of the historic Taft Hotel built in 1912. The charm and grandeur of this architectural gem have been restored to create a setting where you can enjoy great food and great company. Featuring local and seasonal ingredients prepared in the French and Italian traditions, ROÌA is an elegant choice for any dining occasion.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
ROÌA Restaurant - Best Restaurants in New Haven ›
ROÌA Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
93 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (71)special occasion (55)romantic (42)good for groups (39)neighborhood gem (37)great for lunch (23)notable wine list (21)great for brunch (18)hot spot (14)vibrant bar scene (8)kid-friendly (5)late-night find (4)scenic view (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- RoiaDinnerswinner11Dined on 11/23/2014Great Restaurant, still somewhat unknown in New Haven. Eventually it will become a New Haven staple.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food, great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 11/22/2014we had a nice table for two - and dinner was excellent. for starters pate was delicious as was pasta with mushrooms. Main courses were pork loin slow cooked and very tender and kales salad was deliciousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LovefoodDined on 11/15/2014We had a late dinner at Roia and again the food was prepared perfectly. The Coho salmon was delicious - save room for dessert because it is fantastic. We always enjoy our meal here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great service, great settingJBearDined on 11/14/2014Ordered the steak frites. She ordered the duck. Both were perfectly cooked. Serving staff very attentive despite a busy floor. Charming yet elegant decor without being pretentious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fan-tastic - we are in love wtih this restaraunt.SnapsterDined on 11/13/2014We have been enjoying this great new restaurant in New Haven. Chef/Owner Avi Szapiro has a light and delightful cuisine blending Italian and French touches using local farm-to-table ingredients. Prices are reasonable and on a par with its local peers. A recent weekday lunch felt like we were in Milan or Paris and not quotidian New Haven. All items were delivered promptly and were superb. The arugula tasted as though it had just been picked. The wine list is complete but not over-populated. Our server suggested some wine that was very good value. In all a great choice, our favorite in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Glad we returnedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/7/2014Great spot for a meal...elegant but not over-the-top. Very attentive staff. Diverse crowd at lunch - lively but easy to converse. We will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food great, chairs not so muchfoofoodfinderDined on 11/6/2014The food was outstanding, the service gracious, and the decor is beautiful, the ceilings and light fixtures very impressive. only one complaint - the bistro tables and chairs are so small that it was uncomfortable. There just isn't enough room on the bistro tables for all the service ware that needs to be on the table. I felt like I was going to knock something off the table when I reached for my wine or water glass. The tables are fine if you're having a quick coffee, but for dinner, it felt extremely cramped and a little low. The bistro chairs were too small and wobbly and very uncomfortable. I noticed a number of other diners were sitting in very awkward positions. Unless you're quite tiny, request banquette seating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Roia ReviewsfbtaDined on 11/6/2014The usual fabulous ambience and service ( even on a packed night during restaurant week). The poussin is as great as chicken can be. The skate was tender, sweet and delicious. The chocolate hazelnut feuilletine with creme chantilly must become a staple. And who could imagine a doughnut's being fabulous? Well, this one filled with apple cider cream was!!! Please keep all as menu items.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect dining!!NewhavenDined on 11/5/2014I had dinner with my friends at Roia in restruarant week. As we were three, we ordered all dishes offerred for restuarant week and shared. All foods were perfect!! Also their wine paring was really good. even we ordered second dishes for the dessert since the were soo good! Definitly I am going to visit again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely restaurant!luv2dineoutVIPDined on 11/2/2014This was our first time at Roia and we enjoyed our meal. The duck was particularly delicious.Special Features:
- The food at Roia makes me happy!sandyVIPDined on 11/1/2014We had a misunderstanding with our waitress who brought out multiple courses at once but that was quickly rectified. Cocktails, bagna cauda, the half chicken and the ricotta salad stood out. Lovely dinner.Special Features:
- Terrible ServiceDateDined on 11/1/2014Me and my wife were the only people of color dinning that evening. The service was terrible, it took the waiter 20 minutes to bring us water. We also had reservations it took them 20 minutes to seat us. We go out on date night every weekend this was definitely the worst date night we ever had. I would not recommend this restaurant to anyone.
- Great food and reasonable pricesdivedogDined on 11/1/2014Great food and service, ambiance is a bit lacking for the quality of the food. Tablecloths would help. Lots of space so it would probably be a good choice for a larger group. Not quite up there with Union League or Heirloom, but a bit less expensive as well. Our group of four ordered four different appetizers and four different entrees and nobody was disappointed. We had to get to a play and they got us out of there in time without feeling at all rushed. We brought our own wine and paid the $25 corkage fee, but they have an extensive wine list.
- Terrific ambianceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/31/2014This space is imbued with an almost tangible provenance. Closest thing to time travel in New Haven.Special Features:
- FavlocaldineDined on 10/31/2014The small plates/ appetizers/ salads were all shared at our table and they were all delicious ! The best chicken liver pate I have had ever! That alone is worth a trip back and their bread is just wonderful. Everyone enjoyed their entrees. With only one comment that the sword fish was a little dry but still tastySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ROIA, a Gem in the New Haven crownThought4foodDined on 10/28/2014Even if you need to make something up, go celebrate at ROIA's! The chef puts his heart and soul into creating wonderful salads, soups, desserts etc Enjoy!Special Features:
- Overlooked gemMiniDriverDined on 10/26/2014My husband and I dined at several of New Haven's finest over the weekend, and this was by far the best. Interesting, tasty food served in an old hotel dining room. Friendly and knowledgable service, too.Special Features:
- DisappointingyalenhboosterDined on 10/22/2014i've been ordering Jack Daniels in restaurants for over 40 years. This is one of only three or four during that time that did not stock JD; even though they had a couple of much less popular brands and of lesser quality. Waiter was too apologetic all night; constantly apologizing for not having his "cheat sheet" with him. I've never ever heard waitstaff refer to a "cheat sheet." Food was below average with small portions. Had to ask for more bread service. Wine was removed from the table "to be kept chilled" but the waitperson was slow to refill glasses. Even though highly recommended by someone I trust, I will not return and will not recommend it to anyone.
- Best restaurant in New HavenOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/22/2014We went here to celebrate a birthday. It is a stunning space, and the food is without parallel in New Haven. A wonderful restaurant.Special Features:
- Great foodbb48Dined on 10/18/2014Great dinner at 7 on Saturday night, but service suffered. After we were seated and asked for a wine list, the server disappeared for 15 minutes. No one else looked in our direction. Couldn't order a glass of wine, or food. Restaurant was clearly busy, it was prime time, but if they can't handle the crush, don't accept the reservations that closely spaced, and don't seat walk ins (right in the doorway. Food really good - solid ingredients, well prepared, nicely presented.Special Features:
- sunshineVIPDined on 10/17/2014Dined at the restaurant and did NOT get points...enjoyed the meal...good serviceSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/12/2014Everything was excellent except the waiter forget to give me my take home as I had only eaten a small amount of my dinner.Special Features:
- ExcellentnycrosieDined on 9/27/2014Had dinner with a few friends on a Friday night. From the cocktails we started with at the bar to the dessert everything was delicious and top notch. Would highly recommend.Special Features:
- OKBennyDined on 9/27/2014The food was good, but not exceptional. My egg plant was served in an interesting way but color-wise was vey bland over all the plate. The tomatoes that could have added color were good but colored with the same dark brown sauce. The menu choices were good. The service was quite good. Most restaurants today have tables that are too small so a lot of shuffling of dishes etc. is needed for each course. This was particular true here for a table for two, which was fit more for a cocktail lounge.. Higher price restaurants should not be this way.
- Outstanding FoodFoodieWhoCooksDined on 9/26/2014We began our dinner with the Salami appetizer, which my friends wanted. I was lukewarm because I don't generally like Italian salami. Well, this salami was a revelation. There were three varieties, and one was better than the next--delicious with the fig tapenade. For the main course, I ordered the steak frites, which I was hesitant to try because the beef was grass-fed, which I had heard could be dry because of the lower fat content. Well, ROIA disabused me of another erroneous preconception. The steak was extraordinarily tender, juicy, and delicious. The fries were among the best I had ever had. The service was also superb. Our waitress was thoughtful, attentive, friendly, and well-informed. We had a wonderful experience.Special Features:
- Good - great waiter!PhillyDined on 9/26/2014The food was very good. I am sure it would not be to everyone's liking- but the freshness and flavors were wonderful. I enjoyed it.Special Features:
- Great food and attentive serviceElmCityFoodFanDined on 9/20/2014Delicious food and beautiful presentation. The menu has some thing for everyone! The desserts are wonderful and the brunch scones are outstanding! The ambience and service are outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Taft has been resurrected!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/20/2014A fantastic blend of French and Italian cuisine, beautifully redone interior within the legendary Taft building; highly recommended for an exceptional meal out. The pappardelle with hen ragu, quite possibly the best pasta dish I have eaten anywhere in the world.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Low curb appealToniVIPDined on 9/17/2014Booked the reservation for a business dinner, but had to leave and change venues immediately because the place did not appeal to my client. It was too casual for what was expected to be a fine French dining experience. The elegance of the previous place had been stripped by current decor and set up.Special Features:
- Great lunch!BDayGirlAquarianDined on 9/16/2014The food was outstanding. The descriptors on the menu were totally down-played! We were very pleasantly intrigued by our meals. The service was great. We had an excellent afternoon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic experience!LarryDined on 9/14/2014Enjoyed our Sunday dinner immensely at Roia. Professional service, beautiful wine and exciting dishes. We will return.Special Features:
- fussbudgetVIPDined on 9/13/2014Pasta and fish were very good, esp liked melted leeks with Arctic char. Nice celeriac soup. Pancetta was limp and yet so tough as to be unchewable, and pretty tasteless. I was expecting a crisp texture and far more flavor. Thank you for taking the pancetta off the final bill.
- Expertise on a plateBorn2DineDined on 9/6/2014Chef Avi presents his expertise and creative abilities that we haven't witnessed in quite a while. Those who truly enjoy dining on well prepared food will love this restaurant.Special Features:
- FabulouspatfitzDined on 9/5/2014From the imaginative cocktails to the excellent entrees to the delicous deserts it was fabulous. The staff was extremely helpful pointing out how the entrees are prepared to steering us to the best of the best, all things considered, Roia has now rocketed to one of our famous places for dinner.Special Features:
- New favoritepanagisvVIPDined on 8/28/2014Roia has been around for about a year now. I liked it from the very beginning, but it's slowly becoming my favorite restaurant in New Haven, a well-known foodie town! Everything on the menu is delicious. Their fish of the day is (clearly) different every time and every single time I've had it, it's spectacular! The wine list is great and the staff are extremely nice, polite and knowledgeable. The chef/owner Avi is also very nice and friendly, as well as excellent in what he does! The space, the former gala room of the Taft Hotel, is truly gorgeous, with beautiful detail seen everywhere. I keep going back and keep loving it!Special Features:
- EnjoyablePTmomDined on 8/22/2014Creative food, attentive service; overall, a very enjoyable experience. Even though they were not crowded, the noise level was high.
- A great dining experience!AVKHDined on 8/16/2014We had a wonderful dinner at Roia, with excellent food and great service. We were truly wowed by every dish, each one better than the last. The menu was an interesting and eclectic mix with options for all tastes, including vegetarians. We will definitely return!Special Features:
- Good, but flawedCulinaryCurtDined on 8/15/2014Had found this place, based on some other reviews I was hopeful... Open and spacious, the place is nice, but not what I would consider "cozy". They had my reservation and seated us quickly (they weren't very busy). The trouble was our waitress. Just not trained very well. We asked about a couple Ketel One cocktails with stuffed blue-cheese olives. The waitress didn't know if they had Ketel One. She then wandered off to find out... after seeing her wander around, fold some napkins and such, she came back and asked "if we were ready". We asked about the drinks again, she wandered away again and came back saying they didn't have Ketel One and had to then leave again to find out what other options they had. The night went on like this. Sigh.Special Features:
- Delicious, quality foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/15/2014I have been to this restaurant numerous times and always have a delicious meal. The ingredients used are of outstanding quality. The space is beautiful and the staff friendly. Waitstaff can be a little slow but other than that it's hard to find a flaw with the dining experience.Special Features:
- Everything was beautiful!SharVIPDined on 8/13/2014I went to Roia on a quiet August night with my parents. We had a great meal! The resturant was lovely and the service was delightful.Special Features:
- The following 3 reviews are from the ROÌA Restaurant reviews archive.