Rod N Reel
4165 Mears Avenue
Chesapeake Beach, MD 20732Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Rod N Reel
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.cbresortspa.com/
- Phone: (410) 257-2735 ext. 107
- Hours of Operation:
Saturday Breakfast Buffet: 8:00am - 12:00pm Sunday Breakfast Buffet: 8:00am - 1:00pm Lunch Daily: 11:00am - 4:00pm Dinner: Sunday & Monday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm, Tuesday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm Happy Hour 3:30pm - 6:30pm and again from 8:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Barbara Collinson/ Joe Misero
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Our Chesapeake Beach Resort features several wonderful options for an event with a view. Choose from the elegant Chesapeake Ball Room or the functional and attractive Hotel Board Room. Have fun in the sun! Enjoy your social event or company function outdoors on our beach. The possibilities are endless. Beautiful breezes on the waterfront, gorgeous views and open space treat our guests to the ultimate Chesapeake Bay experience. Our Chesapeake Ball Room is ideal for conferences, banquets, receptions, meetings and holiday parties. It accommodates up to 350 guests and can be divided for smaller, more intimate affairs. On a clear day, you can see the Eastern Shore from anywhere in the room.
- Private Party Contact: Banquet Sales 8777636733
- Entertainment: Entertainment and outdoor waterfront dining in season. Join us for HALF PRICE APPETIZERS in the Rod'N'Reel Lounge! Monday-Friday from 4PM to 7PM. For a great value in the Rod "N" Reel Dining Room, join us for Fresh Flounder stuffed with Crab Imperial $18.99. Join us for Happy Hour 3:30-6:30PM and again from 8:30-10:00PM!
- Special Events: Enjoy luxury hotel accommodations with balconies overlooking miles of the Bay’s beauty and serenity, a full-service spa and salon, marinas with slip rentals and charter fishing, two restaurants and an outdoor café on-site serving sumptuous dishes. Boardwalk Cafe bar open Friday & Saturday 3:00PM to 1:00AM; Sunday noon to 9:00PM.
A word from Rod N Reel
Rod ‘N’ Reel has been a premier waterfront dining destination since 1946. While feasting on delicious local seafood you can smell the salt air and feel the Bay breeze as the bustle of harbor activity unfolds before you. Gilles Syglowski, Food Critic for What’s Up? Magazine, boasts, “Superb. The fish was moist and delicious…overstuffed with a smooth, tasty imperial crab mixture-a simply delightful dish! “Jumbo lump crab cakes have been the signature dish here for decades but tenderness, juiciness and flavor also abound in our certified steaks. Saturday Rise ‘N” Shine Breakfast Buffet, 8 am to 12 pm. Sunday Breakfast Buffet is wildly popular, 8 am to 1 pm, folks drive miles for smiles and an abundance of creative fare on Sunday. Lunch and dinner served 7 days.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Rod N Reel reviews from OpenTable diners
14 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (12)neighborhood gem (8)good for groups (6)special occasion (5)great for brunch (5)romantic (5)fit for foodies (3)kid-friendly (3)great for outdoor dining (3)great for lunch (3)hot spot (2)notable wine list (2)vibrant bar scene (2)Show More
- Good restaurant, but VERY slowamooreVIPDined on 11/21/2014Our food took over an hour to come out. The waitress was very nice, and the chef came to see us, but there were only four tables and it still took them over an hour to serve us. Not sure why.Special Features:
- just what I was looking forjusbeachyDined on 11/7/2014I was planning a quick getaway spot with nice amenities, spa & comfortable accommodations with and nice dining experience for my birthday. Everything was just was I was looking for. The service at Rod-n-Reel was excellent, prompt & courteous wait staff, the food was hot, and flavorful and the price was within a decent budget. The restaurant decor was very appealing with nice view of the Chesapeake harbor.Special Features:
- Gem of the Bay for food & viewBoxcarr89Dined on 10/18/2014Amazing view of the Bay with weddings outside, seasonally. Best clams casino and Lobster tail, ever. Nice, family owned, historical restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good seafood restaurantPasmalDined on 9/17/2014Rod N Reel is a good seafood restaurant. The mussels dish was disappointing but the lobster special (at a very affordable price) made up for it. Our waitress was friendly and efficient. I would recommend this place.
- Service was OUTSTANDING!FoodyDined on 9/14/2014We were celebrating a special occasion, and Elisabeth made the experience wonderful! Everyone enjoyed their meal, and she was very efficient, attentive, and pleasant! I would just come back to be served by her.Special Features:
- Good food!awawDined on 8/19/2014Really good food! There are not many restaurants around Chesapeake Beach but this one was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Avoid at all costPford1229Dined on 8/16/2014Let's just looks at the numbers 31 minutes to get drinks 48 minutes for children's dishes ordered at beginning of meal 60 minutes for appetizers 93 minutes for entrees It all equals 0 more visits to this establishment
- 1 hour ride to disappointmentSET4JETDined on 8/16/2014We were very disappointed with the restaurant after a long ride from Silver Spring Md. to research the establishment. The food was cold and it took a very, very long time for the food to come to the table, close to an hour after eating appetizer. It took sometime for the manager to recognize there was a problem and finally said something to us after taking with another patron closely who was concerned about the service. The server indicated that there was a problem / back up in the kitchen; however, she disappeared and did not provide any update on the status of the food. Finally the food came and it was cold. The taste was okay; however, We have no plan to visit you establishment again.Special Features:
- Cheers !lobsterdealDined on 8/14/2014Thanks again for such a fantastic afternoon luncheon with great friends. Always good to see you all!!!Special Features:
- The following 417 reviews are from the Rod N Reel reviews archive.
- Great seafood with a view!HoldthenutsDined on 7/26/2014The food was absolutely delicious. Kids really enjoyed sharing a lobster! Great summer spot with a great view. We will certainly be back! Our only concern was that our server didn't seem well trained in understanding food allergies. I think a bit more education about food allergies would be helpful.Special Features:
- Seafood Extravaganza was deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/23/2014The Wednesday night seafood extravaganza was wonderful. The food was scrumptious....from the salad to the fried shrimp to the lobster tail to the deserts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Almost PerfectMegsBenedictDined on 7/18/2014Clams Casino appetizer was delectable. I had Seafood Neptune which was served in a boat of melted butter, which I found to be unnecessary to both the presentation and the flavor of the dish. The seafood was overpowered by the butter taste and could have used some seasoning to counterbalance it (if they insist upon keeping that presentation), such as Old Bay or J&O. The roasted potatoes were unseasoned and dry but the side of roasted julienne vegetables were flavorful, colorful, and delicious. My meal ended with a chocolate pate dessert that was lacking in presentation but abundant in richness. Despite slow service on a slow evening, the experience was enjoyable. We had a lovely view of the Chesapeake Bay and boats docking nearby.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restarauntDinkyDined on 6/29/2014We invite our friends and family to join us every 5th Sunday to join us for Rod nReel wonderful brunch and take part in the other events like the board walk and beautiful atmostphere . Our group seem to group for each event, the restaurant is clean the environment is welcoming and warm, the services are professional and friendly. We love it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot to visitFoodyDined on 6/18/2014I've gone to this restaurant several times, but never for the Wednesday night buffet. It was a nice change from the normal menu options. What was a nice surprise was the complimentary lobster that comes with the buffet. Although we didn't have any utensils to crack the lobster, we made do.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Father's Day OutingHappyDadDined on 6/15/2014Excellent choice for Fathers Day. Food was outstanding and with very scenic view of the bay. Trying to get daughters and wife to take me back real soon!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Father's Day brunchLadyJDined on 6/15/2014Our dining experience started off with an issue regarding the reservation made thru open table, holidays are off limits for reservations made thru your organization. However the Restsurant accommodated us very quickly and efficiently, the staff was friendly the food was wonderful! I have only great things to say about this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent!dinerDined on 6/15/2014This is a wonderful place for the family to dine. It's very kid friendly and I will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great viewOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 6/12/2014The view is out of this world and the food is very good and the prices are reasonable what more could you ask forSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SharonOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/8/2014Brunch is great for family celebrations, will put this one on my list!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great viewamooreVIPDined on 6/1/2014That pretty much says it. It is also one of the best restaurants in the Chesapeake Beach, North Beach area, but that isn't saying much!Special Features:
- Perfect boating destination.OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 5/26/2014Good food good serve easy dockage and excellent atmosphereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- View of the bay is beautifulOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/25/2014Food was good but it took almost an hour to arrive at the table.Special Features:
- Get Judy away from hostess stand!PranaVAVIPDined on 5/17/2014Maybe she had a bad day, but Judy's attitude was bad enough for me to write about it in this review and it trumped our experience at the restaurant. She seated us in an unfriendly manner and when we asked if we could sit closer to the windows you would think we asked if we could give her a root canal. We also noticed the look on servers' faces as she bossed them around. The food was good and the view is nice, but the place feels more cookie-cutter like a chain than a nice warm homey local restaurant. It appears to be better for large groups.Special Features:
- Good Food & Beautiful SceneryNew2FoodDined on 5/11/2014We went for the Mother's Day Brunch. The food was good and the kept refilling the items that ran low. Plenty of options to choose from & the lines moved fast. Right on the water/boardwalk, with a hotel, casino & waterpark within walking distance. Great choice!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mothers Day BrunchmomofthreeDined on 5/11/2014I would never ho back there for Mothers Day brunch....$27/ adult and $17/ child was ridiculous...especially when all my kids ate were doughnuts and fruit. There was not anything special about the food items provided and it was way to crowded.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't beat the view!notbadVIPDined on 5/4/2014Food was very good. Service was spotty: dirty booth, took forever to get drinks, but the wait staff was nice. And you can't beat the view!Special Features:
- Location , location, locationTraceyPaulVIPDined on 5/3/2014If only the restaurant could match the location quality then it would be a force in the region. Good for large groups or weddings but forget about the Rod and Reel if your looking for a special time for you and your significant other, I'd skip the Rod and Reel.Special Features:
- Great View, Great FoodfoodieforayDined on 5/3/2014In the last two years we returned to Rod n Reel to try it again after many years of not going there. Previously we had not been very fond of their food, mostly because the seafood was overcooked. They had a lobster special so we took a chance. We were pleasantly surprised and have returned to eat there 3 or so times a year since. (We eat out once a week and like to go to different places.) We have tried different things on the menu and all have been good. Our daughter is vegetarian and they have a couple of good entree options for her too. We went there earlier in the year for a library fundraiser dinner where there was a dinner buffet and they did a great job with that too. The food was all cooked well and tasted good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Rod and ReelrestaurantluverDined on 5/1/2014Always a great place to eat whether its dinner or breakfast. The view of the bay makes it even better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always fun!YummyInMyTummyDined on 4/29/2014We've been here many times. The food is always consistent the restaurant is very clean with a friendly, attentive service. Recommended.Special Features:
- Lovely TimeDiningOutGuruDined on 4/22/2014Dining here was a great experience especially since it was a surprise dinner that was taking place. The food was fresh and delicious and I will be back for more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun and ScenicLovelyDined on 4/20/2014We had a nice Family Easter brunch with more than enough choices for breakfast. When we found that our party of 8 was split into two tables my mom contacted a waiter who promptly got a manager who very shortly found us a round table for 8 so that we could have our family Easter brunch. Food and atmosphere was happy, bright and plenty of good food.Special Features:
- don't bothertaggie1Dined on 4/19/2014We booked for the Saturday before Easter. We were not told that we would only be able to order off of a shortened menu, so many of the things on the regular menu were not available. The food was really bad, crab cake mostly filler, other sea food tasted like frozen Mrs Paul's. French fries under cooked. Altogether a very unpleasant dining experience, but still pretty expensive. For $19 one would have expected some crab meat in the crab cake!Special Features:
- Great catchGREATDined on 4/11/2014Service was excellent; food was prepared as we asked and available in a timely pace.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely and ScenicSlimDined on 3/30/2014Need a place to relax with a view, this is the perfect place to come. The food a little pricy but worth it because the service is great and the food very well prepared and the potion size was nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice eveningTamiVIPDined on 3/29/2014the ambiance was very nice because we had w window overlooking the water. The food was tasty and prsented fairly nicely. We enjoyed the complimentary portiwne cheese and crackers (especially the "everything" thin cracker.Special Features:
- Seafood BuffetOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/20/2014Love this place in general. Courtesy staff that remembers regulars, Selections were good but lacked lighter soups - both offerings were heavy cream based. Rarer beef option would be nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had the all you can eattookyDined on 3/13/2014We had the all you can eat buffet. The steam shrimp was delicious with the cocktail sauce. However they didn't keep the buffet line fully stocked, you had to wait for restocking and return back to the table and get back in line and our waitress was not that attentive to clear the table of used dishes, provide water or ask if evrerything was ok. The atmosphere is always great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I was with seven of my greatJayRayVIPDined on 3/9/2014I was with seven of my great friends, some were visiting from PA and others were co-workers. We have breakfast at different places every three months. I suggested Rod and Reel because I try and go to the Chesapeake Spa Resort also at least 3 times or more a year. They all said this was the best spot yet because the food was absolute great and there were so many items to choose from. And the price was well worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expected better presentation!SeaDiverDined on 2/20/2014A seafood buffet is usually a really special dinner to go to! Brought out-of-town guests that enjoyed meal but nothing special. .. Presentation poor - looking like it just came out of the cooking pots in the kitchen. No decorations on buiffet area just plain white cloith, chafing dish containers placed sideways so hard to see what dish was and harder to get food out of. No labels on each one, or on salad dressings to know what it was without opening container, breaded food and green beans cold, selection limited. Best item was the steamed shrimp with Bay seasoning. All tasted OK but I was disappointed. Service slow to poor. Rod n' Reel could do better with little added expense to at least make it a pretty presentation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.