Rockwood Grill and Blue Star Lounge
74855 Country Club Drive
Palm Desert, CA 92260Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Rockwood Grill and Blue Star Lounge
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.rockwoodgrill.com/
- Phone: 7603411788
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, American, Californian
- Executive Chef: Bryson Crittenden
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Rockwood Grill and Blue Star Lounge
The Rockwood Grill is a sophisticated all-day dining venue featuring an upscale-casual menu of diverse American classics. Made from scratch daily from locally sourced ingredients, the dishes are expertly prepared and served in an atmosphere of warmth, comfort and sophistication.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Rockwood Grill and Blue Star Lounge reviews from OpenTable diners
8 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (5)scenic view (5)good for groups (4)fit for foodies (3)special occasion (2)kid-friendly (2)romantic (2)great for brunch (2)notable wine list (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- If you are a hotel guestOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/16/2014If you are a hotel guest, this is a great place for breakfast. The buffet is the way to go. Freshly made omlettes, pancakes, a plethora of baked goods, lox and bagels. Toast and cereal, too. You can also order from the menu. Eggs Benedict was delicious. Fresh squeezed orange juice, and good coffee. Wait staff was very attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- restaurant reviewRosamondVIPDined on 6/1/2014This restaurant used to be the elegant, well appointed Tuscano. What a disappointment now. Booming '? tribal/ music, overpowering the room. Salad of beet and 'greens' arrived without the citrus vinaigrette. Requested the same, and 2 ramekins of watery red wine dressing brought. The 'greens' were bruised and OLD with black spots. Shameful. . The leaves hanging over the bowl. Nothing refined. One could buy 'baby greens' at Vons! Luke warm water sat in a smudged bottle on the table. No ice offered. Overly intrusive, loud waitress, with heavy accent. We were not able to understand the specials that she recited. Perhaps put them on a written card on the table. Bill brought to table for $160, not itemized at end of meal.
- Great hotel restaurantReginaVIPDined on 5/27/2014I was recommended to this place while staying at Marriott. I can't say enough good things about them. The service was wonderful and the food is to die for. The menu at first glance seems pricey since everything is a la carte but the side dishes are large and can easily be shared. The bread is very good and they give you a small loaf which is ample. I would easily go back hereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not a popular place for lunch??ConvenientAndGoodVIPDined on 5/12/2014There was barely anybody there at 1:30pm. Our salads were good, the dessert was fine, and the view of the man-made lake is fantastic.Special Features:
- The following 47 reviews are from the Rockwood Grill and Blue Star Lounge reviews archive.
- Simply Amazing!MelaniethefairestDined on 5/3/2014Ordered the buffet for $38 and was extremely pleased! The food was delicious and fresh! The pasta bar was to die for and the chef was very nice. So many desserts to choose from, I recommend the creme brûlée! It was amazing! I would return again!Special Features:
- Holiday HappeningsSailboatDined on 4/20/2014We love their brunch here for the holidays. Food is great and the service is friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outdoor Repasttim520Dined on 3/19/2014The menu had the perfect choices for lunch, especially the salads. The wines by the glass choices were extensive and we had no trouble selecting. The environment was great -- shaded, out of the wind and pleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great buffettennisfanVIPDined on 3/15/2014King crab legs are rare in a buffet and a nice feature. The prime rib was better than Lawry's. Dessert bites are a nice touch.Special Features:
- Best Buffet and dessert barTasteBudDined on 3/1/2014The best Alaska king crab and superb prime rib. Have been going for over 25 years and the dessert bar keeps getting betterSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice placeReview4uDined on 2/16/2014limited menu, great mini desserts all you can eat for $15 :) great outdoor for smores, drinks, dinner at their fire pits.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best meals we haveGregDined on 2/14/2014One of the best meals we have had in a long time. We were there for valentines day and had the price fixe menu. It was wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not your typical hotel foodCandi935VIPDined on 2/6/2014We were pleasantly surprised to see the interior changes at the JW MARRIOTT dining areas. I was a little worried when we sat down but once the salad and then our entrees arrived...it was great. The pork shank was wonderful served with polenta. The salmon was done just right, not dry. I would definitely eat here again and take friends. I just wish they had an apple desert. Not fond of chocolate but love a fruit desert. Coffee was OK but weak. They did bring a shot of espresso to us to make it better. Very nice.Special Features:
- Rockwood GrillCarsonDined on 12/30/2013We had a very nice experience at the Rockwood Grill located in the Desert Springs Marriott in Palm Desert. Our lunch was excellent and we both had hamburgers. The heirloom and avocado salad was fabulous and it was served as an included side dish. We also ate their on New Years Eve and the dinner was very good as well. I am happy to recommend the Rockwood Grill.Special Features:
- Good for ChristmasMJRIVVIPDined on 12/25/2013Not sure the Christmas Buffet is a good judge of this outstanding restaurant. Food excellent. Excellent selection of meats, with prime rib, lamb, ham, chicken, and pork. Excellent seafood. Excellent sushi bar. i thought it was a bit pricey at $69 per person. I would return.Special Features:
- Lovely BrunchchefaVIPDined on 11/29/2013Food and service were terrific on a busy holiday weekend. Front desk was a bit chaotic but then again the place was packed. The outdoor patio is so beautiful it's one of the best views in the desert. Resort prices are expensive but not out of the question. Just a great place to enjoy a brunch with family or friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Thanksgiving feast!RichfromCincinnatiDined on 11/28/2013I made the reservsation so we would have a guranteed place to eat while on vacation for Thanksgiving. All of our expectations were exceeded - the quality and variety of the food on the buffet and the service and restaurant furnishings were outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent food; very pricey for valueCalfoodieVIPDined on 11/24/2013Food was good but prices were outrageous with pizza being the exception. Meat portions were tiny and sides were extra. Wine selection was poor and unbelievably pricey. $11 per glass for wine we see everywhere for 8.99 a bottle. Cheapest bottle $48. Service very slow. And this is their every meal casual restaurant !!
- ExcellentDpendolaDined on 10/31/2013My gf and I went here for her birthday. She got the PorkChop which was to die for..I got the Lamb Chops which I think we're touched by god. Overall everything was incredible, also the in house beer is excellent if you are a beer connoisseur. The wine list is also very extensive. Ooh and just a word of advice..try the Calamari.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellentqueenjDined on 10/25/2013Went twice during our stay. First time had Elena. Best server ever. She's a gem. Second time Was for the seafood prime rib buffet. The food was great. The desserts tremendous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best of the best Prime2berijonDined on 10/18/2013The best of the best Prime Rib / Sea Food Buffet. Excellet service in general.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/29/2013Brunch here is the best in the area...excellent cook to order omelettes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant Clientele LoudMemberVIPDined on 6/7/2013The food here is unusual and very good. The eggplant side, pizza and date torte are excellent. The salmon also very good. However, on a Friday night, the crowd was quite loud and unruly. A large party with kids and very obnoxious adults occupied the back room, making the other three tables ask to be reseated in the middle of their meals. Not the restaurant's fault, but maybe they should have been given a private room for the 15+ people and allowed the other guests to enjoy their dinners. We went for Restaurant Week, and the $38 prix fixe was well worth the price.
- Rockwood Grill FabulousOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/8/2013Great food, outstanding service...a highlight of our trip to the desert.Special Features:
- Excellent dining in Palm DesertOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/30/2013The Rockwood Grill at the J. W. Marriott Desert Springs did not disappoint on any of our appetizer or entree selections (market salad, wedge salad, halibut, seafood with pasta and chicken paillard and an eggplant side dish). The grilled entrees come with a choice of side sauces (the halibut and the chicken are grilled). We chose the lemon caper butter which was OK but perhaps a bit plain or unimaginative. The dessert (apple tart with cinnamon ice cream) was absolutely stellar! If their other desserts are similarly gourmet, then I would come here for the desserts alone. Service was outstanding as was the contemporary, open atmosphere. I will definitely return on our next visit to Palm Desert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place for outdoor dining.sguerreroVIPDined on 4/27/2013Nice place for outdoor dining. Their dinner buffet is a great value and make sure you leave room for the deserts they are something to behold!Special Features:
- Wonderful lake views insideTerrilmVIPDined on 4/23/2013Wonderful lake views inside and out. Love the service and the food! The Burrata Cheese app is great...We had the white fish and 2 had the filet. All good. I like that they offer so many sauces for each item. Had two diners in the party that are very specific with exactly what sauces etc.. could be on the dish or on the side. Server got it all perfect!Special Features:
- Food & Service were excellent.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/19/2013Food & Service were excellent. Birds flying through the outdoor seats and under tables is annoying and takes away from the ambiance.Special Features:
- Rockwood GrillcheeseorchocolateDined on 4/8/2013The designs very good. The food was fresh and also very good. The placement of this restaurant was not great in that you must walk through a giant hotel lobby to get there. The open floor plan denies the space an intimate feeling, but that being said we were all happy with our dinners and the pricing was very fair.Special Features:
- Request outdoor table!lagunatic345VIPDined on 4/2/2013Be sure to request an outdoor table. We didn't and wish we had. The service was superb, as was the food. I also expected the prices to be higher for the quality. During our vacation in Palm Desert, this restaurant was by far our favorite.Special Features:
- Awesome prime rib and kingtennisfanVIPDined on 3/15/2013Awesome prime rib and king crab legs. Not a huge selection at the. Buffet, but those two items is worth the price of admission alone.Special Features:
- One of our favorite stopsHBfoodieVIPDined on 3/7/2013One of our favorite stops in the desert. Beautiful sunset views over the mountains through the palm trees. The Blue Star Lounge was our first stop. Although there was a large private party in the patio and several conventioneers in the Lounge the service and cocktails were excellent. Our next stop was the Grill where the food was fresh and flavorful with a variety of local favorites including hand tossed pizzas. Our server Elena was exceptional. She went out of her way to insure our dining experience was unique. This is why we return again and again to the Grill and Lounge.Special Features:
- Buffet was extensive but otherOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/22/2013Buffet was extensive but other than the beef not terrific. Should have ordered off the menu. It was just my husband and me but despite lots of room in the restaurant we were seated very close to to families with rambunctious children.Special Features:
- The Sunday brunch is superb.dterrisVIPDined on 2/3/2013The Sunday brunch is superb. The variety and quality of foods is outstanding. The $45 price is more than fair for this quality brunch.Special Features:
- Good not greatCologurlDined on 1/26/2013Good food. Wouldn't call it great, it was ok for a hotel spot. Because of reviews I had read, knew to expect a loud vibrant place. As promised! Bar was alive and well. The buffet for Fri and Sat sounded like a good value at $35. Crab legs, etc. we had the pasta seafood dish, and cat h of he day. They were both good, nothing to jump up and down about. Would go back again another trip, just not this time. Discount card not good on weekends, if you have one. Am sure there are better restaurants in the area.Special Features:
- Buffet Friday and SaturdayAllanDVIPDined on 1/4/2013Buffet Friday and Saturday nights is outstanding value.
- Fine hotel restaurantJeffVIPDined on 12/31/2012This was formerly the Lakeview Restaurant at the JW Marriott Desert Spring. It's been nicely updated and modernized but lacks the warmth of the old restaurant. The service was very attentive. The menu, which contains basic hotel restaurant fare with a few twists, was a bit limited for my taste. However, what I did order (a cheeseburger and soup) was good. All in all, this is fine for a hotel restaurant but it's not worth making a special trip if you're not staying at the hotel.Special Features:
- Excellent food and service.mab19VIPDined on 12/25/2012Excellent food and service. We did the Christmas Dinner buffet as well as several breakfasts and couldn't have been more pleased. Thanks Rockwood.Special Features:
- I booked this restaurant forOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 11/22/2012I booked this restaurant for the Thanksgiving dinner with my family. The impression I got from the website is that there will be a fixed menu for dinner. Instead, the only option upon arrival was a buffet. The food was good, but the overall ambiance lacked intimacy and attention to detail. The wine list was short and overall the experience felt cheap, very hotel like. Not what I was expecting.
- The food was excellent butOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 11/5/2012The food was excellent but overpriced. There is a better dinner option at this hotel, the Mikado. I was specially incensed that the waiter refused to accept our $50 OpenTable Check as partial payment on the bill. They put it on our room tab and said to straighten it out at the front desk when we checked out. Trouble is - the check is made out to 'Open Table Restaurant Memeber" - not to the hotel. I told her for the last four years the Mikado, at the same hotel, has accepted the Open Table checks and she said "Oh no I don't think so - they're not supposed to." So we are going back to the Mikado, probably tomorrow night, and I'll bet we get to use the check there. If not, we will stop going to restaurants at the Desert Springs JW Marriott.Special Features:
- Salads were very good butFrankJudyVIPDined on 10/29/2012Salads were very good but we were disappointed in the entrees, as portions were small and not up to the standards of the prices charged.