Rockin Baja Lobster Gaslamp
310 5th Ave.
San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
Downtown / Gaslamp
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
Rockin Baja Lobster Gaslamp
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.rockinbaja.com/
- Phone: 6192346333x
- Hours of Operation:
Daily: 11:00am - 4:00pm
Daily: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Mexican
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Contact: Dee Dee 6192690444x
A word from Rockin Baja Lobster Gaslamp
Rockin' Baja is a full service and fun Mexican-Seafood restaurant that offers uniquely prepared Baja style seafood presented in rustic steel buckets. We created a diverse menu filled with exceptionally great, finger lickin’ good fun food delivered fresh to your table daily. Kick back, drink an ice cold beer or margarita, enjoy a shot of tequila and experience all the good times that are Rockin’ Baja.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMexican
- Diners' Choice WinnerLate Night Find
Rockin Baja Lobster Gaslamp - Best Restaurants in Downtown / Gaslamp ›
Rockin Baja Lobster Gaslamp reviews from OpenTable diners
29 reviews since May 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelEnergetic
good for groups (15)great for outdoor dining (15)late-night find (10)great for lunch (7)hot spot (7)vibrant bar scene (7)kid-friendly (6)special occasion (5)great for brunch (4)neighborhood gem (4)fit for foodies (2)romantic (2)scenic view (2)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Great for Happy HourOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014Had a large group of people for a going away party. It was a typical busy night in the Gaslamp on a Friday night. They had a great window table ready for us and the server was better than the best. She was awesome...she was fast, fun and always checked up on us. I would give her 5 stars and they food was great. Good value for the money. Thank you!Special Features:
- good lobsters!starDined on 8/12/2014We enjoyed having lobster dinner at Rockin Baja Lobster Gaslamp!Special Features:
- Not Rockin by no meansNinaDined on 8/1/2014The only great experience I had was notifying Rockin Baja Lobster I was running late for my 9:30 pm reservation to which they gladly held open. However, the service was poor and the food was not as great as I had remembered on a prior visit. Regarding the shrimp and lobster bucket....well the lobster was overcooked, dry and stuck in the shells. The honey butter was not served with the tortillas. When we did receive the honey butter, it was not edible tasting. The poor service and the food was probably the result of it being nearly after 10 pm and the staff was busy cleaning up and the food was no longer fresh. I would not recommend for a late night find.Special Features:
- Great find!FoodieVIPDined on 7/12/2014We happened upon this restaurant while in San Diego recently. It was a nice place, offered good drinks, food & service. It is very laid back, family-friendly and easy on the wallet ;)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 4th JulysdjulesDined on 7/4/2014Very busy but waitstaff had good attitude despite it ask. Sea if Cortez seemed to be missing food, much smaller than before. Not enough spice on anything, had to ask for additional seasoning. Considering the crowd, not too bad. Other visits have been much better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- QueenbeeVIPDined on 6/30/2014It was good, service was a little slow maybe short handedI would recommend this to a friend.
- It is What it IsseafordinerVIPDined on 6/28/2014Rockin Baja is not for everyone. It is not a bad place to get some burritos, but it feels a bit run down and not very appetizing. A communal salsa bar and silverware in a large cup say it all. It's just not a place that even belongs on Open Table. Does not seem to appeal to diners that make reservations and more like a Mexican Fridays. Reviewing this is not really fair, it's just not a dining experience worth discussing.
- Good food and lots of funAlanDined on 6/20/2014The Rockin Baja Lobster is a place to go and enjoy yourself. The ambience is energetic, the service is good, and the food is fine. We had the lobster tail bucket and it was very good and more than enough. Garrett, our server took good care of us. Overall, we were very happy with the Rockin Baja Lobster.Special Features:
- First timer....CrusaderVIPDined on 6/5/2014First time here. Good food and good service...great place to hang out!Special Features:
- ExcellentWingedmarsupialDined on 6/3/2014Excellent dinner. Big buckets of lobster and crab. Loads of different drinks promos.Special Features:
- Rockin Baja LobsterDelmardanDined on 5/17/2014When we're downtown we always have to make a stop at Rockin Baja Lobster Gaslamp - love the Baja Buckets and fun sitting on patio watching the crowd and pedicabs on 5th avenue.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tourist Grade DiningplaywithyourfoodDined on 5/8/2014We enjoyed the outdoor patio dining and the people watching it afforded. The "serve yourself" chip and salsa bar was a novelty with a nice variety of salsas; the green, habanero and mango were table favorites. We started with guacamole, and while presented with a generous portion, the avocado taste was lacking and was reminiscent of store bought pre-packaged guacamole. Our table ordered Surf n Turf Tacos, Tempura Shrimp Tacos and the Shrimp Bucket. The taco plates were nicely presented and the tacos were tasty, however, the rice and beans were more of a cold starchy mess, not worthy of the calories. The Shrimp Bucket was impressive looking, but it was surprising to find out the shrimp were "peel n eat", not noted on the menu.Special Features:
- The following 22 reviews are from the Rockin Baja Lobster Gaslamp reviews archive.
- LovethefoodDined on 5/4/2014Great place food is excellent service is great will go there every time we visit San DiegoSpecial Features:
- MartynaDined on 4/18/2014Great seafood meals! Everything was pretty yummy except the drinks were so weak! I had two different margaritas that were really low on the tequila and my other family members agreed about their own drinks also. Step it up Baja, your food is really good, make a better impression with the drinks!Special Features:
- okOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/28/2014The food was very salty so we really did not enjoy it. We had the golden basket and I would not order it again.Special Features:
- fun night outGeoffVIPDined on 3/28/2014We had a good time at the restaurant and enjoyed a good meal, but felt the price point (although good for the neighborhood) was a bit high for the food we received. I would go back but probably not order the combo buckets again. They were great at substituting out the sweet & sour for lime juice in our margaritas!Special Features:
- Service was slowOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/25/2014We had a large group of 12 so I understand that it may take a little longer to get all entres out. But it took almost an hour and a half to get the food. It was tasty, but on the cold side by the time we received it.Special Features:
- Our Favorite Restaurant!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/22/2014We love Rockin' Baja. You cannot go wrong here if you love sea food! Our favorite item on the menu is definitely the Baja Bucket for 2. It is plenty of food for 2 people and is delicious every single time!I would recommend this to a friend.
- enjoyed baja bucket, givesaggie5Dined on 3/1/2014enjoyed baja bucket, gives you a little bit of everything to eat. waitress was awesome. will eat there again when in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun place in the Gaslamp QuarterRexThePumaDined on 2/16/2014Went for a birthday and had a party of 6. We were seated and service was great- drinks were never empty, food came out quickly and was tasty, chip & salsa bar was excellent and a cool idea. Ambiance was what you would expect, and even early in the evening they had a crowd. Would definitely come back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AccomodatingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/15/2014I found the hostess and servers very helpful and cheerful. The food was very good and the chips and salsa bar was a big plus. The price was reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little pricey for what youRamoDined on 2/14/2014A little pricey for what you get.. might have enjoyed a lot more if the price would have been reasonable. Hostess seemed rude. Server made up for that though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2014I thought Joe's Crab Shack was good until I ate here. Sorry Joe!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Valentines Day DiningDavidDined on 2/14/2014This was our first time at Rockin Baja Lobster, and the food was fantastic! Our server, Enrique was attentive and was there when we needed him, and not hovering like some servers do. We really enjoyed to Golden Bucket which was probably the best Lobster we've had since relocating here from the East Coast. Enrique was very nice, and he made us feel comfortable and valued as customers! All servers should be like him.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No wow factorWolfDined on 2/14/2014Drinks were great...food not so great . The seafood bucket was ok but had no wow....drinks were great . Our waiter was wonderfulSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love The Salsa Bar!TheGemVIPDined on 12/21/2013Don't miss the late night happy hour for the $5 house margaritas! I think this is one of the best values in the Gaslamp.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Buckets are awesomedjinnDined on 10/28/2013The seafood buckets were great and we liked the endless chips and multiple varieties of tasty salsas to choose from. Fun place and good food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Padres NightTweetersDined on 9/20/2013When we went to RBL there was a Padres Game and the place was packed. We were immediately seated and we made reservations on line, which was great. It was hard to hear conversations however. The food was good, as usual, but not outstanding. We had to ask twice for more tortillas for our fajitas; water and drinks were refilled on time and the staff was attentive. We love the chips & salsa bar, especially the mango/peach salsa. We will be back again before the next Padres game we have tickets for!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cool venueChiefFoodOfficerVIPDined on 8/6/2013Nice location and good service are the hallmarks of this hip Baja Mexican restaurant. Chips & salsa are plentiful as you serve yourself, but not the best quality. Fajitas were okay - not the best but not the worst. Will go back and try again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OK mexican food - the nachoNYCHaynesVIPDined on 7/13/2013OK mexican food - the nacho bar was the big hit - I would stick to drinks and appitizers ( the shrimp and lobster are over cooked)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Place for FunOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/9/2013This restaurant is a bit loud for conversation, but the food was very good. The service was good too. Prices are reasonable. The chips and salsa bar is excellent and is self service. All in all our party of 7 really enjoyed this place.Special Features:
- wouldn't have thought it...chefboyrdVIPDined on 7/5/2013Exterior appearance says rowdy bar... correct assumption, but the food was excellent. The Lobster Tacos were fantastic and the portabella mushroom taco ran a close second. I would love to go back and explore more of their menu! Servers were very attentive also.Special Features:
- A Fun PlaceCMsteveVIPDined on 7/3/2013This place is fun and energetic. The service and the food were both good. The menu is also fun to read and order from. The place is casual and quite enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeRonnieDined on 6/28/2013The restaurant is a great place to enjoy good food and drinks! The staff was excellent and made you feel like you wanted to be there. Would recommend this place to anyone looking for great food, drinks and lively ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.