1469 18th Street
San Francisco, CA 94107Neighborhood:
Potrero Hill / Dogpatch
Pan-AsianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.rocketfishsf.com/
- Phone: 4152829666
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm; Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Pan-Asian, Japanese
- Executive Chef: Kenichi Kawashima
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Will cater sushi and other menu items.
- Private Party Facilities: Rocketfish is an affordable, semi private and private party venue with a distinctive vibe. From standup cocktail receptions featuring platters of delectable oysters, Japanese tapas and sushi, to a multi-course sit down dinner served in our private room, our thoughtful and professional staff will see to your every need. Special arrangements include: Music and Multi Media options, Late Night Service, Valet Parking, Flowers, Party Favors and more.
Capacity: Rocketfish has 34 seats in its private dining room with standing room for up to 50. Our Bar/Lounge seats 40 with standing room for up to 70. The two combined rooms are available for a full buyout, with minimum food and drink guarantees. Catered Lunch or Dinner are available with free delivery.
- Private Party Contact: Marco 4152829666
- Entertainment: Karaoke every Thursday night after 8:30. Check our facebook page for sporadic weekend music.
A word from Rocketfish
Come discover the multi-faceted flavors of Essential Asian cooking at Rocketfish- where Chef Kenichi Kawashima invites you to enjoy his very personal interpretation of ingredient driven Japanese & Pan Asian cuisine on Potrero Hill. Rocketfish is the perfect place for an affordable date, a family friendly night out, group dining or a casual business get together at Happy Hour. With two rooms to choose from, we are also available for private functions and have earned a loyal following for our outside catering. SUSHI,SASHIMI,NOODLES,VEGETARIAN SPECIALTIES, SLIDERS & CREATIVE ENTREES At Rocketfish, you can also expect to find the unexpected on our list of nightly specials- utilizing fresh, local and organic ingredients. Full bar and an excellent wine & sake list. We hope to see you soon.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Rocketfish reviews from OpenTable diners
- Disappointing FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2000VIPDined on 10/27/2012We had dinner there last weekend. We enjoyed the casual ambiance but the food was not good. There was something wrong with every dish we ordered. Do they not taste the food they serve there?
- Cocktails need serious work.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/18/2012Cocktails need serious work. The fish in the sushi was minced.
- Amazing birthday dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/29/2012First time there, my husband wanted to take me out to dinner for my birthday before we went to the symphony, we got there early for our reservation, but it was no problem since they had just opened for the dinner shift. Our waitress was excellent, I wish I remember her name but she was extremely nice and very knowledgable about the menu and all the daily specials. The food was amazing and the prices were very reasonable. We loved the Hawaiian spring roll , the White Walu sashimi it was to die for, and many other yummy dishes. We would definitely go backSpecial Features:
- The menu isn't as dynamicJamieVIPDined on 9/15/2012The menu isn't as dynamic and creative as it used to be when it first opened but still plenty of solid options on there.Special Features:
- The chef is an innovativeShopdivaDined on 8/14/2012The chef is an innovative sushi master..Gotta love him! It would be great if they added a limited sushi menu for lunch..Special Features:
- I guess we really hit it onOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/8/2012I guess we really hit it on an off night. The Pork Belly app(which came last) was so overcooked we had to return it. Our drinks didn't come until after the first 2 rolls were sent out. We ordered kampchi sashimi but recieved the nigiri. We didn't sat anything until our bill came and saw that we were charged for the sashimi. I had to return the bill for correction. There was no apology or discount after numerous problems. It was also a Birthday celebration which was a real bummer. I have only heard good things about this place so I thought it was a good spot for Birthday Celebration.Special Features:
- Sushi are very fresh & goodKathyDined on 8/1/2012Sushi are very fresh & good ratio of rice to fish where they don't roll your fish in to much rice. If you are into Kareoke, come Thursday night.Special Features:
- Love This Place!winefreekVIPDined on 7/20/2012This is a great neighborhood place that has turned into one of my favorites in SF. We always sit in the bar if there's space, which can be especially difficult during Happy Hour. Great drink, sushi, and small plate specials! Andy the bartender makes terrific cocktails and is lots of fun to chat with. Service elsewhere in the lounge can sometimes be outstanding and at other times just OK. Lots of veggie and land options (and not just tempura!) for the non-fish eaters. It's worth the trip to Potrero for us. Food is always good and drinks are always great, plus stunning views of the city while standing outside the restaurant at 18th and Connecticut.Special Features:
- Go on Tuesday's and look forBunnyfishDined on 7/10/2012Go on Tuesday's and look for Aaron!! Best sushi chef EVAAAAARRR! ^_^
- This place is a cozy littleOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/10/2012This place is a cozy little bar, the server was very friendly! The fish we ordered was good and fresh. Thursday nights they have Karaoke. This is a fun relaxed date spot.Special Features:
- The food was good, but notEricVIPDined on 3/28/2012The food was good, but not wow and the service was not very good. I wouldn't go back when there are so many other good places out there to try.
- Some of the food was excellent;theatergoerDined on 3/10/2012Some of the food was excellent; a bacon-wrapped Kobe beef special was exquisite. Other food was very disappointing -- the sushi special was so-so, the edamame wasn't warm enough, and the sauce that came with the vegetable tempura was way over ginger-y. The service was also inconsistent; some things we ordered came out quickly, but the vegetable tempura that we ordered as an appetizer took around 45 minutes and came out after our entrees had arrived.
- Korean restaurant by dayOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/14/2012Beware if you want to come here for lunch because its another restaurant. Its some sort of pop up Korean restaurant. The food was delicious and the waiter/bartender was great! I had the ramen with fried chicken. It was a good portion and it was yummy!Special Features:
- Service was very attentiveFishfoodloverDined on 1/28/2012Service was very attentive and anticipatory. Food was fair to good but not as hoped. There was no Uni which we were looking forward to treat ourselves to. The grilled Filet was very good and cooked just right, not over cooked, and still juicy. We had asked for bowel of white rice but got a bowel of sushi rice instead. We were also hoping to see duck on the menu but was disappointed that it was not available. Oh well. Nice ambient nonetheless .
- Delicious food & drink. EspeciallyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/9/2012Delicious food & drink. Especially liked the Oyster shooter with quail egg and sake, the seaweed salad, the specialty sushi rolls (Rocketfish), the Hawaiian spring roll appetizer, and the sliders (only critique on those is that the slider buns were slightly too buttery, but the kobe beef was nicely cooked). Service was great, and atmosphere was pleasant. Interesting menu. Definitely want to go back and try other items that I wasn't able to order the first time (too many good options).Special Features:
- Garlic edamame, the RocketfishThomasCarrollVIPDined on 12/31/2011Garlic edamame, the Rocketfish roll, pork belly sliders, and tasty cocktails... this place is quickly becoming one of my favorite restaurants in the City!Special Features:
- The food was really good andOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 12/7/2011The food was really good and our server was very informative and talked us in to trying one more thing which was exellent. Ahi tartar with avacado, ginger, jalapeno and an awesome sauce! I think the coctail we had was a Green Rocket and it had cucumber, mint, etc. and all the flavors really came through. The only drawback was it was extremely cold temperature wise in the restaurant but we would go back again.Special Features:
- Dissapointing at bestOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 12/3/2011We had suprisingly bad service and the food (we had some happy hour specials, sashimi, vegetarian rolls, and sides) was mediocre. There was confusion from the host when we arrived, despite our opentable reservation, then we were eventually told by someone else to just take a seat anywhere. It took longer than expected for our server to arrive and when he did, he was clearly in a very bad mood and managed to only grumble at us, not check on us, and forget to put the applicable happy hour prices on our bill. It was my second time there and I won't be back. (I was equally dissapointed when they first opened and I got appetizers and drinks at the bar, but decided to give them another chance b/c the space is/used to be great.)Special Features:
- Actually, on this night atamberEaterDined on 11/27/2011Actually, on this night at the end of the Thanksgiving weekend, the restaurant was delightfully deserted and quiet and we could have a conversation and hear each other. However it is usually too loud and crowded and even if there is a table we end up going elsewhere because we don't want to have to scream at each other. So I gave it the noise rating for my usual experience there.
- More sports bar than sushi barOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/26/2011A bit of a mixed-up sushi bar that is more like a neighborhood pub than an izakaya. The grilled tongue was tasty, but the miso soup was bland. The classic rock soundtrack was more sports bar than sushi bar. The service was a little spotty -- the warm sake we ordered came cold, the server seemed a little spaced out at times. OK for what it is, but I wouldn't go out of my way to return to eat here.
- The food was fun and the environmenOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/19/2011The food was fun and the environment was casual and exciting. The service was absolutely horrible.Special Features:
- We took new friends from NYCSireneDined on 11/11/2011We took new friends from NYC to Rocketfish. We got to sit in the corner booth of the bar section. The drinks we got - including the non-alcoholic, cucumber-flavored sparkling water - were expensive but outstanding, as was the food. We all especially loved the seaweed salad. (Word: the house margarita I ordered was quite spicy, even to the Cuban and Mexican friends who tasted it!)Special Features:
- Once again we went for theOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/25/2011Once again we went for the Tuesday night special and was very happy! Great drinks, great sushi! You can easily carry on a conversation. Excellent service!Special Features:
- Overall we had a great timeOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/15/2011Overall we had a great time at Rocketfish the other night. The food was outstanding and we really enjoyed the Pork Belly Sliders. I'm a sucker for good Happy Hour's and I have to say they have one of the best. Great selection of drinks and a pretty good selection of traditional and pub-like Japanese dishes, accompanied with outstanding service from hostess to server. They also have a DJ that occasionally spins on certain nights which is always a treat. I would highly recommend this place to anyone looking for a great place to relax and enjoy some great food amongst friendly staff and good music.Special Features:
- Unique offerings in both cocktailsOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 10/13/2011Unique offerings in both cocktails and food. Excellent vegan selections as well. Eager to return.Special Features:
- OverpricedOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 9/29/2011Very!!! expensive for what it is. We ate very little sushi and still managed to spend $150. Plates are very small, so it adds up fast. Drinks are good.
- Great selection of very freshOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/17/2011Great selection of very fresh fish. Kenichi displays well honed knife skills, preparing proper sized cuts for the right mouth feel and taste. A refreshing offering of some expertly prepared traditional dishes such as Ankinmo, Zuke and tender Tako sliced on the bias. A great variety of rolls, fusion dishes and daily specials to satisfy typical American palates as well.Special Features:
- Was surprisingly barren forOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 9/17/2011Was surprisingly barren for a Saturday night. For the price both food and service were only marginal
- Sushi is just okayOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/17/2011The food was just ok. Drove pretty far for sushi but wouldn't go out of our way for their sushi again. Nothing special..Special Features:
- Interesting sashimi choices.OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/12/2011Interesting sashimi choices. Avoid the fusion rolls. Would come back to check out the all you can eat sushi on Tuesdays.
- Really some of the best SushiYamoDined on 9/6/2011Really some of the best Sushi I have had in San FranciscoSpecial Features:
- The all you can eat sushiOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/9/2011The all you can eat sushi Tuesday deal is fabulous! The sushi is solid quality.Special Features:
- Rocketfish Sushi Rocks!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/31/2011Rocketfish has extremely fresh & creative sushi selections. The Sushi chef is exceptionally friendly and remembers us & our usual sushi orders as well as ALWAYS prepares one of his creative, delightful and delicious sushi "surprises" on each visit (almost weekly). Our seven year old son enjoys his creative rolls, whimsical octopus and other adventureous dishes. We and our son celebrate "Sushi Night" once a week and Rocketfish is one of the best and a great value. Rocketfish soars above all others and truly rocks!Special Features:
- Excellent! You could carryOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/19/2011Excellent! You could carry on a conversation easily, and the restaurant was pretty full which is very nice. Sushi was great! We will be back and we also own B&B's one of which is on the #22 which stops right in front of the restaurant so we will be sending lots of guests there as well. We drove there and parking was not a problem either.Special Features:
- Great sushi, sashimi & cocktails!JuliannaSFVIPDined on 7/2/2011We love Rocketfish. The sushi rolls (try the Rocketfish) and sashimi are both excellent. The saki and cocktails complement the food well. The menu is varied with a selection of ever-changing specials (including non-sushi/non-seafood options). We visit Rocketfish several times a month...Special Features:
- The Rocket Roll was the bestOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/17/2011The Rocket Roll was the best thing we had, for sure! The other things we ordered (don't remember the name but they were off the daily specials list) were good, too, but they didn't compare to the roll. My boyfriend and I both said we would come back again even if the only thing we got was that roll!Special Features:
- Exceptionally interestingHenryWilliamDined on 5/5/2011Exceptionally interesting sushi variations, presented by a knowledgable waitstaff in a friendly manner.Special Features:
- Most of the rolls we got wereMikeVIPDined on 5/4/2011Most of the rolls we got were delicious but the shrimp tempura roll was very chewy and really dry. Great location and would like to go back.
- Food was very good. However,GerryDined on 5/4/2011Food was very good. However, it was a bit pricey. Tables were mostly crammed together in the dining room which was also rather noisy.Special Features:
- I've dined at Rocketfish multipleOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/3/2011I've dined at Rocketfish multiple times, including on their Tuesday all-you-can-eat sushi night. The hostess was extremely welcoming and promptly seated us despite the packed restaurant. The lounge area has a comfy yet modern ambiance to it, as well as a full bar, and big screen for all the sports fans. The other dining area is a bit more mellow and better for more intimate dinners. Overall, each time I've dined there the service was impeccable and never overly intrusive or under attentive. The menu offers both fresh melt in your mouth sushi/sashimi as well as some interesting fusion dishes for those not huge fans of raw fish. Not to mention, their signature cocktails are fantastic! Absolutely worth the trek to Potrero Hill!Special Features: