Rock 'n Chair
2409 Dune Drive
Avalon, NJ 08202Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Rock 'n Chair
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.rocknchair.net/
- Phone: (609) 967-3300
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Daily in Summer: 4:00 pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Fusion / Eclectic
- Executive Chef: Chef Matt McComb
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Our beautiful fieplace room is perfect for a rehearsal dinner or any event up to 60 guests. The private banquet room "Upstairs" at the Chair can host any event up to 200 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Diane McDevitt 6099673300x
- Entertainment: Nightly (in season).
A word from Rock 'n Chair
Rock'n Chair offers a new appearance, great food, exciting atmosphere & live entertainment. The warm & inviting atmosphere is sure to enhance your dining experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Rock 'n Chair reviews from OpenTable diners
12 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (9)kid-friendly (3)good for groups (3)fit for foodies (1)neighborhood gem (1)romantic (1)late-night find (1)vibrant bar scene (1)great for brunch (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Great outdoor diningJoanVIPDined on 8/22/2014Went there for breakfast and the service was great. The food was delicious and plentiful.Special Features:
- CrabcakeDined on 8/16/2014A group of 6 of us dined here over the weekend thinking we were in store for some good old fashioned Jersey Shore seafood only to be met with a sub par meal. The seafood chowder was bland and needed a tablespoon of salt just to get it down. The cheese in the arugula salad was quite the distraction from enjoying the salad as a whole. The crab cakes were tasty but a little dried out. The servers seemed unpleasant and uninviting. Not all bad however, the ambiance was outstanding. Overall I give it a 2.7 out of 5.Special Features:
- No longer a legend.KWSCBDined on 8/14/2014The service was very friendly despite being totally overwhelmed by "no shows" in the kitchen (a common problem in August at the shore). We had one bad piece of fish which was promptly and apologetically replaced but neither meal was anything to get excited about. This place has a legendary name but the legend is no more.Special Features:
- Potential not fulfilledLorraineVIPDined on 8/9/2014Most food ordered was dry and without much taste. Waiter was hard to find. Hamburger however was excellent.
- The following 47 reviews are from the Rock 'n Chair reviews archive.
- Great placeHowlme01Dined on 7/15/2014Live music and good food . Service was great and we look forward to returning again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JOJOVIPDined on 7/12/2014Significantly overpriced for sub-par food and service.Special Features:
- Nice supriseJoepaVIPDined on 7/7/2014I was pleasantly surprised. Good service and nice atmosphere. All meals were upstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VacationTimeout98765Dined on 6/28/2014I took my chances and read the reviews and we were so glad we went. We had great food and service!! Restaurant was cold but as soon as we said something they took care of it. If you want to sit outside make sure to ask when making your reservation. Great spot and would definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Avalon great foodboysDined on 6/1/2014Awesome food the best tuna ever would recommend this place. The prices are fair too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No Control Over!1210VIPDined on 5/27/2014We recently had lunch here and dined on the porch overlooking the side street. The food was excellent and we enjoyed the experience. After we ate, as we were winding down, a large delivery truck stopped just outside where we were sitting and did it's delivery with the diesel engine running. The fumes were uncomfortable and had we still been eating we would have needed to move indoors. Not the restaurant's fault and it did not ruin a very enjoyable experience.Special Features:
- Excellent Meal!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/24/2014A new chef is in town--and the meal was delicious. I had the scallops, substituted mashed potatoes for rice, not a problem. The best part of the meal was that it came to the table piping hot--bonus! They have added a raw bar and the Cape May Salts were wonderful.Special Features:
- Birthday Party with 10 guestscmacDined on 2/22/2014We started with appetizers choosing the calamari and the lobster rolls, they were really good. The menu had a wide variety, and while some guests went with the personal pizza's and or a burger others went with full blown dinners from the specials menu. I chose the salmon which came from a special priced section of the menu and it came with a drink, soup or salad and a small portion of dessert, very reasonable. While I enjoyed my salmon the other party guests were all pleased with their choices. To be honest, it was hard to choose what I wanted but I think that's one reason I liked the Rock n Chair. Highlights were the calamari, lobster bisque soup, pizza and scallops. My dads birthday dinner was a success, thanks Bobby Dee and staff!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding food New Year's Eve.OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 12/31/2013The chef did a fabulous Job on all 4 of our dinners on New Year's Eve. A night you don't usually expect great food. The service, as usual, was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An unexpected treatJAvalonDined on 12/31/2013I hadn't been to this restaurant for many years, and had no idea what it had become. This was New Year's Eve, so the menu was limited to about half the usual items. All excellent! I had the french onion soup, and it was the best I've ever had, including Paris. The veal scallopini was as good as anywhere. My daughter had the mac and cheese, with lobster, crab, shrimp and scallops. Delicious and rich. Excellent bar. A bit pricey, but one of those places that you don't mind because the food is so good. Our waitress was very friendly, but had to track her down a couple of times. The others that I saw seemed to be on top of things. I look forward to going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingMonicaDined on 11/16/2013We had chosen this restaurant after looking at the online menu and when we got there we were informed that the menu had been changed due to a new chef and the website had not been updated. The menu was not 1/4 as good as their last one. The food we ordered was OK at best. Nothing was delicious, but it wasn't inedible. The service wasn't bad while we were there, but after checking our credit card statements, we realized that we our cards were double charged. When I called the server explained that he had accidentally rang up our cards wrong and had to void the initial transaction. Mistakes happen, but wish we were told that evening about the mix up, rather than worrying about my credit card. Overall, not great and we won't be returning.
- not what it once wasJackVIPDined on 9/1/2013everything average. unfortunately with the restaurant almost empty we were seated at a table on a route used by bus boys, waiters, hostess. Not a good experience.
- Delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/1/2013We ordered a crab leg appetizer. It was one pound of snow crab legs with drawn butter. The crab came right out of the legs. It was perfectly steamed. We looked at the menu and had our choices ready until we saw the angus burger being served to a table next to ours. Wow! Amazing burger. It comes with homemade chips and coleslaw. I can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Impressed!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/31/2013With all the high-end places to eat in Avalon, I figured I would give it a shot. We ate on a Tuesday and got the Bacon wrapped filet and a seafood dish. Well prepared, edges a tad burnt (I like it that way). Only downfall is it does not come with a soup or salad. Everything is a la carte. Decent wine/drink selection and awesome outdoor deck at sunset!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EhHyeDocVIPDined on 7/27/2013The ambiance is not bad, but the food is terrible and way overpriced. I don't mind eating mundane quality food now and then if it is low in price. But to charge as much as they do for the below average food is not appetizing. Either make the food better or lower the prices.Special Features:
- Avalon FavoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/14/2013We have been visiting the Rock n Chair many time this summer. the food and service are very consistent. One of the best things on the menu is the mahi wrap but all of the food has been good this year. They have very good specials also as well as a large wine and drink menu. The servers there are all experienced and very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bobby Dee's Rockin' Chair - Avalon,CurlyGirl2Dined on 7/13/2013A group of 10 of us, including 4 children dined at Bobby Dee's Rockin' Chair this past weekend. We visit Avalon every Summer and always make a reservation at the Rockin' Chair during our visit. Never fails to disappoint us. Great menu selection as well as specials; large portions with good value for the price; great martini and wine list and excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A "Don't Miss" RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/10/2013Many friends have recommended the Rock n Chair and they were right. Service was great, food was awesome, especially their dinner specials. Wine list very reasonable and I noticed many wines have a 90 plus rating. I recommend their outdoor deck if you can get a seat, great experience. I was told by the server the Expresso martini was their signature drink, the best I ever had! You must try this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not BadMikeTDined on 7/5/2013Had a dinner with another couple on the deck. Restaurant looks over all the action on Dune Dr. which is pretty cool if you're sitting outside. The food was good, service was okay, not any better or worse than other bars/restaurants in Avalon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant SurpriseOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/11/2013Very enjoyable experience. Variety of food ordered by my party and everything was rated very good.
- Pretty badCabowinegirlDined on 5/4/2013Service was horrible. Our waitress kept forgetting about us My margharita pizza was completely soggy, cold and there was no cheese. Had to send it back I would go back for a drink at the bar and some music... But never for dinnerSpecial Features:
- Recommend the bar, not restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/27/2012While I always enjoy the bar at The Chair the restaurant falls short. Lacks ambiance, food was average at best and the service was not that great. Should have known better when it was only a quarter full on a holiday weekend. Hit the bar and grab some apps but skip dinner in the restaurant. I did hear after the fact they added a brick oven for pizzas and those are good. Will try next time at the bar.Special Features:
- Go somewhere else...SoHungryVIPDined on 12/28/2011Horrible. Cost around $200. for two adults and two children to have dinner. We would have enjoyed our meal better at a drive through. It was awful. Food was not good, service was slow. My husband went to the bar and got his own drink. The place was nearly empty - so crowds were not the issue.
- I do not like to give badOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/10/2011I do not like to give bad reviews, but we were very disappointed. Food was fair at best, my $31. filet was too peppered and saucy. My husbands pecan coated chicken was a pecan coating with a little chicken. Pretty restaurant, outside patio was nice but no tables were availale. Maybe better to order from their casual menu?
- 5 starsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/31/2011First time diners at the Rock n Chair. We heard many great things between the new chef, menu and the beautifully renovated outdoor deck. Hostess made us feel at home as soon as we walked in the front doors. It did not stop there, service exceptional and food was awesome. Try the nightly specials, one of a kind. We heard you serve breakfast on weekends, can't wait to come back. Great job!!Special Features:
- I have been to many restaurantsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/31/2011I have been to many restaurants throughout the shore communities and the Rock n Chair's food and service is by far the most exceptional!Special Features:
- We have eaten here occassionallyMandatoryReviewerNicknameDined on 8/13/2011We have eaten here occassionally and usually found it solid and reliable but never spectacular in any way. Our most recent visit was pretty bad. Simply put, the food was not well-prepared. A big disappointment all around.Special Features:
- Great Food and Great Service.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/31/2011Great Food and Great Service. I have worked in the restaurant business for years and was floored by the flavor and presentation of the dishes. I would definitely go back to this restaurant!!!Special Features:
- Food was fine, however itOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/31/2011Food was fine, however it was very obviously to each of us dining we were our server's last table. Never brought bread to the table or offered coffee or dessert at the end of our meal. We had to askSpecial Features:
- We found flavors blended togetherOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/26/2011We found flavors blended together and over seasoned. No table linens, plastic covered table tops (Yuk). Staff was friendly and attentive, chef needs to lighten it up and let the food speak for itself.
- Lovely meal, solid service.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/18/2011Lovely meal, solid service. Very accommodating in changing our reservation. This was a second visit, coming for the first time in 2010 while on vacation. Friends who joined us for the first time also enjoyed the meal very much. Highly recommend if you are down the shore!Special Features:
- Food portions very small forOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/2/2011Food portions very small for price. Beer on tap warm and needed to be returned twice for different brands. Service is good but that is about all that's good. Not the Rock'n Chair of old.
- Flounder was overcooked andelheffeDined on 7/2/2011Flounder was overcooked and flavorless. Chicken parmesan was poor. Very expensive for generic food. Will not eat there again
- Bare plastic tables, 6 inPlannerDined on 1/15/2011Bare plastic tables, 6 in our party and the waitress came back torward the end of our dinner, never asked if we needed more drinks, very unattentive. Food was good but protions veried greatly.
- We had a great time! The serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/12/2010We had a great time! The service was excellent and our meals were delicious. The atmosphere at the restaurant was very nice. I have recommended this restaurant to several of my friends.Special Features:
- We've come back time and againOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/17/2010We've come back time and again and have never been disappointed. Friendly service, fast, but not rushed and a good menu. We ordered from the Lite menu tonight. The food was very good, well prepared and left us more than satisfied.Special Features: