Rock Center Cafe
20. West 50th Street
New York, NY 10020Neighborhood:
Rockefeller Center Midtown
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Rock Center Cafe
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.patinagroup.com/restaurant.php?restaurants_id=18
- Phone: 2123327620x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday – Friday 7:30am – 10:30am
Monday – Friday 11am – 4pm
Sunday – Thursday 4pm – 10pm
Friday – Saturday 4pm – 11pm
Saturday & Sunday 10am – 4pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Burgers, Steakhouse, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Antonio Prontelli
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Delivery, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Rock Center Cafe
Rock Center Café is New York’s American Grill. We bring you chef-driven cuisine at breakfast, lunch, dinner and brunch, house-crafted cocktails, and some of New York’s top brews in one of the most memorable, landmark locations in New York City. With a stunning view of The Rink at Rockefeller Center in the winter months and Summer Garden & Bar, a spacious outdoor oasis in the summer months; we offer an exceptional setting with a series of original prints by the great American artist Andy Warhol and seasonally updated menus supporting local family farms. We are open 365 days a year.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Rock Center Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
146 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (103)scenic view (69)great for lunch (64)special occasion (39)kid-friendly (36)great for brunch (34)good for groups (29)neighborhood gem (27)romantic (24)fit for foodies (21)hot spot (19)vibrant bar scene (14)notable wine list (5)late-night find (5)Show More
- below parOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/17/2014I would not recommend this restaurant. I had reservations for four and two of us were seated in one outdoor section waiting for the other two people who were seated elsewhere. The waiter was friendly and attentive but the food was not good. Dry, over cooked fish served on a bed of unremarkable vegetables. There was no attempt at pleasing presentation and no evidence of seasoning in the food. Could have had a better meal at MacDonalds for a lot less money.
- Good spotGerryDined on 9/16/2014After many years of dining there, i still find the Cafe a fine place for a pleasant lunch and consistently good food. And what a scene, esp. In winter!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful Setting, Meh FoodNYNYItsahelluvatownDined on 9/10/2014Had breakfast here a few days ago, and loved sitting outside with a view of Prometheus and the fountain. Service was very good, with friendly hostesses as well. But the food was mediocre at best, and, of course, overpriced. The one expects as much in a touristy spot like the rink at Rockefeller Center, but the food was disappointing even with lowered expectations. I ordered a breakfast wrap and requested that only one egg be used. When wrap arrived, it was clear that it had been pre-made and reheated in a microwave. The eggs in the wrap - way more than one, that's for sure - were rubbery and flavorless. A side of potatoes were fine, albeit very plain. I guess one does not come here for the food. I still enjoyed myself, however.Special Features:
- There are much better choicespaz8861Dined on 9/9/2014The Rock Center Cafe has definitely declined in quality and value for money spent. Prices are above average for below average or at best average quality food. The portions are small and uninspiring. A truly forgettable experience. Will not return or recommend.
- Wonderful desserts!MinnieDined on 9/6/2014We try to eat here when we come to NYC. The atmosphere is very nice. We were disappointed with the filet mignon - it was a very poor cut of beef. The desserts were amazing (banana split and lemon tart).Special Features:
- Poor Service and FoodWinthroptravelerDined on 8/31/2014The brunch menu on this site is not the same as what they offer. Also the small brunch menu is served from 10am-12.30 only. Poor options. Had the American breakfast and all food was cooked, but bland. Not enough staff for the amount of people. Not worth the price of the overpriced food.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/30/2014Where do I begin, good points first. First of all, the ambience is great, right at the foot of Rockefeller. Now the bad points, they didn't have the tables organized. We got there, they took us to our table but ppl were still sitting, made us walk back around, had to wait for the buser to clean the second table. Finally get a seat, then the waiter hardly gave us any attention, had able to grab him. The food, guac not flavorful at all, recommend against it. Watermelon salad interesting. Grilled chicken wrap loaded with sauce and barely anything else. With no drinks, our bill was 82, for a meal that was flavorless, for service that was weak at best, but worth it for a once in a lifetime thing to sit outside by Rockefeller. Do it once only.Special Features:
- Good for outdoor diningMaryAnnVIPDined on 8/28/2014Definitely a tourist spot, but we wanted to eat outside in a nice atmosphere. The food was average to above average, a bit pricey but you are sitting in the middle of Rockefeller Center. We played tourist in our own city and had a nice dinner outside on a beautiful night in Manhattan.
- DisappointingNeighborDined on 8/26/2014The food and the service were not up to par. We asked for avocado dip without onions and it came loaded with onions. My friend ordered vegetables with dips and the dips were inedible. We had to keep flagging the waiter for service. To the restaurant's credit, the manager came to the table to apologize. But I wouldn't eat outside again. This location is a gem and it's sad to see the restaurant go down hill.Special Features:
- ChiChiDined on 8/26/2014Love the restaurant! Specially their breakfast options. The nutella croissant was delicious!! Will definitely come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rock Center CafebettyjeanDined on 8/24/2014The location is perfect! We sat outside right next to the waterfall and it was peaceful. The food was fine. Good for lunch. Good for kids since there is a children's menu. Not too expensive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rock cafemoninycDined on 8/22/2014It is a tourist spot. The menu is not extensive. very little in there for vegetarians. Will continue going there because of the location and convenience but not sure I will pan for meals as much as for drinks etc.Special Features:
- Good outdoor spotIluvnyDined on 8/20/2014Nice spot for outdoor dining. Limited menu however. Food was ok to good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- surpisingly good for touristy spotOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/20/2014I was happily surprised by the tasty food and good service given the super toursity location. A former NYC resident, I would not have chosen this place if my kids were not so tired from tramping around the city and we did not have a long wait for Top of the Rock. If you are not used to NYC pricing, then you may find the prices unreasonable. For the location and quality of the food and service, I was okay with the premium pricing. If you are lucky enough to be here on a nice weather day and can afford it, I would recommend this as a lunch spot for both tourists and locals alike.Special Features:
- Thoroughly mediocreOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014Booked here for convenience after going to the view at the top of the rock in the evening. There is nothing better than average about this restaurant. The burger is tasteless, the fries over-seasoned. The salmon was well presented but unexciting. Our waiter was indifferent and distracted, in general the service was disappointing. Head out of midtown if you can.
- restaurant weekOdileDined on 8/14/2014We booked a table during retaurant week, and were placed just in front of the golden angel, that was great. But when asked for the restaurant week menu, we had to move the back tables on the side. Food was worth the price - only 25$ for 3 course menu- but service was not so friendly. Guess the restaurant week was nice to discover the restaurant but the restaurant week do impact on what you get.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerAdelaideDined on 8/13/2014Enjoyed my annual "Birthday Dinner" - with my favorite Guacamole appetizer. Look forward to next time.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/13/2014Although the atmosphere is loverly the noise level is not good foe a business lunch.The food was mediocreSpecial Features:
- BreakfastfamilyfunDined on 8/13/2014We had 9 for breakfast, 4 adults and 5 children (4-11). The staff was very nice and the food was great. Fun place with great view.Special Features:
- Great atmosphere.lou501Dined on 8/10/2014When we arrived we were really lucky to be seated right next to the fountain, which made our visit. The food was little better than fast food really but with a high price tag. The cocktail I had was delicious and that mixed with the fountain made it a great evening. The quality of the food let it down though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better than the first timeRobynslp95VIPDined on 8/10/2014I went here during the holidays two years ago and was very disappointed . This time I really enjoyed the summer menu . The down side was slow service , freezing ac and long lines to the bathroom because of the outdoor patio. Wasn't the best meal but was good enough to return .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday dinnerFailedbirthdayDined on 8/8/2014I was great being outside looking at the water and statue in the heart of Rockerfeller center but the waitress was attentive to all her customers except us and mentioned that it was my birthday and nothing was done even though meal came with dessertSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food in a scenic spot!catsmeowDined on 8/7/2014This restaurant looks out on either the skating rink , or an outdoor garden seating, depending on the season, with the Prometheus Statute Fountain to the side. The food is very good, and the service was excellent!Special Features:
- lovely settingMomnatDined on 8/5/2014There were four of us and our food was good but portions were small, especially the hanger steak. Service was a little slow as our waiter kept on disappearing to the outside diners. The best thing about this restaurant is the setting.Special Features:
- NYC Restaurant WeekeatluvwellDined on 8/5/2014A friend and I specifically went to try this restaurant during NYC Restaurant Week. Therefore, our menu choices were limited. The gazpacho soup was good with a bit of spice. We both had the cod, which I found just fair, a little dry, but I my friend enjoyed it a bit more than I did. The lemon tart was deemed okay. I thought the banana split tartufo was quite good. The service was quite prompt and friendly enough. The scenery from the restaurant is nice and is probably beautiful in the winter when you can look out at the skating rink. The cafe has a pleasant ambience. Based on our experience, this might not be the place for you if you prefer big portion sizes.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food with a viewCTLeftyVIPDined on 8/4/2014Restaurant week brough us in, but we will definitely return. The choices on the special menu were great. There is something for everyone. The salad was large with the perfect amount of dressing. The salmon was done well with a crunchy farro salad underneath. The banana split tartufo was sweet, crunchy and flavorful. The sizes of the courses was perfect. YOu can also look out the huge windows at Rockefeller Center in all of its glory.Special Features:
- Good for work lunchesLoveditDined on 8/4/2014Great food, great location. A bit on the pricey side but great for work lunches. Service left a bit to be desired.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/4/2014Been here a lot of times for lunch and it is very nice. I like the outdoor seating where you can enjoy the waterfall and the statue, which feels like you are on vacation. Food is good. Sometimes when it gets busy it takes a while for service to be attentive, but you just have to relax and enjoy the ambience. They are accomodating with food, seating, and services if you request them. Their burgers and fries are very good. I also tried the salmon and pasta which were all very good as well. You need to keep in mind of which area you select your food. Some portions maybe less than others. Must try the banana split ice cream!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Dessert in the WorldOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/4/2014I had lunch at Rock Center Cafe during Restaurant Week, so the price was fairly reasonable. The organic greens were surprisingly tasty. The seared cod was also delicious. I believe they forgot about me- the waiter came over at one point and asked if I'd received the cod yet, then apologized when he brought it. But it was fine, I was happy just being there. Dessert was a banana split and it was heavenly. The ice cream half-scoops were coated on one side with a chocolate shell and the bananas were carmelized. The only complaint I would have is that since I had a reservation, I was expecting to be seated out on the skating rink area with a great view. Instead, I was seated off to the side beside a large hedge so couldn't see much of anything.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't beat the ambienceDanyloDined on 8/2/2014Food was expensive for what you get. Out door birds can be pesty if sitting by bushes. Quality was good.. Service was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/31/2014It's a wonderful place for lunch. Great location and great view of the fountain. We went there during the restaurant week offer. It makes the dining experience even better. I would recommend the place.Special Features:
- Perfect for a birthday celebrationjosepaez33Dined on 7/28/2014The food was amazing and the service exemplary. I highly recommend Rock Center Cafe and will return again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch with the grandchildrenpjobserverDined on 7/27/2014We took the grandchildren to lunch before the theater. The wait staff could not have been kinder or more helpful. They graciously dealt with all the needs that arose (and fell). The food was terrific and we were on our way to the theater with time to spare. The Rock Center Café should always be an option in midtown.Special Features:
- Go for the location, not the foodAmbrosiaDined on 7/27/2014Went for what I thought was a Sunday brunch. There were maybe three breakfast items. Limited lunch menu. Thought it was a bit overpriced for what you get. I make excellent scrambled eggs and theirs were not. I don't mind paying the price if the food is worth it but this was not. That said, it was very pleasant eating where the ice rink is in winter and in front of fountain. However I can see why it wasn't very crowded even at 11:30 on a Sunday morning. The locals all know better.Special Features:
- WonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/25/2014It was really nice a place I will never forget I got engaged there it was perfect and beautiful food was good and our service was amazing his name was Sean. It was amazing would go there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- such a shameShelleyDined on 7/25/2014The food was a really good standard but systemic operational procedures detracted from the experience. For two of the three courses we were delivered food and then sat and waited a considerable time for cutlery to eat it with.We exchanged glances with other couples in the same predicamentSpecial Features:
- Amazing lunch in the heart of NYCavideaterDined on 7/24/2014My family and I enjoyed our scrumptious three course meal in the heart of NEW York City. Delicious food, great servers, and great for people-watching.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/22/2014The service was too slow and not as polite as I expectedSpecial Features:
- Fun tourist trap with a great viewGobucks1Dined on 7/20/2014Sure, it's a tourist trap but the food was good (hard to screw up a cheeseburger) if not over priced (welcome to New York) and the view and ambience was great fun. Our kids (11 and 7 years old) loved looking at the fountain and the server was great. Noisy, but not too loud to have a conversation without raised voices. Request outdoor seating if weather permits.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceBiaspvDined on 7/16/2014Not much variety but the appetizers and service were great!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.