Rock Bottom Brewery - La Jolla
8980 Villa La Jolla Drive
La Jolla, CA 92037Neighborhood:
La Jolla / Golden Triangle
BreweryPrice: $30 and under
Rock Bottom Brewery - La Jolla
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.rockbottom.com/la-jolla
- Phone: 8584509277
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 4:00pm Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm -11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food, Brewery
- Executive Chef: Alberto Lucatero
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Catering events can be arranged through our Banquet Coordinator. Go to http://www.rockbottom.com/la-jolla/banquets to see our offerings.
- Entertainment: Occasionally, we will have a live band or dj on one Saturday night a month, starting around 10pm. Please call us for details.
A word from Rock Bottom Brewery - La Jolla
A lively and casual dining experience, we feature fresh, handcrafted beers brewed on premise and an innovative menu. Our beers range in style from Pale Ales and Light Lagers to Stouts, Belgian-styles and Amber Ales. We also brew many specialty and seasonal beers, all of which are handcrafted by our Brewmaster using his original recipes. The atmosphere is rich in woods and gleaming brewing vessels. Our service is friendly and upbeat. Our moderately priced menu features a medley of items ranging from Fish and Chips to Roasted Chicken and Filet Mignon, a variety of interesting salads, and our world famous White Cheddar mashed potatoes.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Rock Bottom Brewery - La Jolla reviews from OpenTable diners
31 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelEnergetic
good for groups (21)neighborhood gem (12)great for lunch (11)kid-friendly (7)fit for foodies (7)vibrant bar scene (5)great for outdoor dining (5)great for brunch (5)special occasion (3)late-night find (3)hot spot (3)romantic (1)Show More
- Beer dinnerAlexDined on 10/20/2014Good beer, still no good starters (finger food for beer drinkers), good main dish, relaxed serviceSpecial Features:
- Good Place for a Bday PartyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014Good Food, Nice patio area for dining, would come back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great brewery restaurant.LoveDined on 9/19/2014The menu has changed since we were last there. Some great new additions. The stuffed peppers were awesome. Flavorful meal or could be split for appetizer. Great beer selection and the wine selection, although not extensive was great for a beer focused restaurant. Our waiter was awesome-knowledgable and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 9/14/2014Our dinner at Rock Bottom was just okay this time around. We actually went out because our house was so hot that we needed to get somewhere that had air conditioning. We both had burgers and they were just okay. Not up to the usual standard for Rock Bottom. It was nice to feel cold for about an hour and a half. Our server was wonderful.Special Features:
- Good Choice in La JollasassafrasDined on 9/5/2014My wife and two sons have dined here three times in the last 3 months when we visited La Jolla helping them relocate for graduate school at USCD. The food and service were good on all three occasions. The wine list is a bit limited, but it is a brewery so beer fans have many choices. It's a pretty casual place and the prices are quite reasonable, especially as compared to many restaurants in La Jolla.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rock Bottom was a great surprise!ShanboogDined on 9/4/2014The service was amazing, our waitress was fun and knowledgable, and gave great suggestions. The price was great! Amazing veggie tacos and you can't beat $6 for 6 beer tasters. And it was rare that I liked every beer! Definitely worth going, especially if you are watching something at La Jolla Playhouse, since it is less than 5 minutes away!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprisingly affordable!!mykegger1Dined on 8/30/2014Normally I have to leave half my wallet when leaving a brewery. My wife and I had 4 good beers and a great lunch for $60, great pizza,good wings. We'll b back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LNreviewDined on 8/22/2014Good quality food at a reasonable price. Good selection of locally brewed beer. The bar is more fun than the restaurant.Special Features:
- Always a great mealOpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 8/14/2014Great meal at Rock Bottom last week. Jim and I love the place and plan to visit again and again.Special Features:
- WRUG at Rock BottomWRUGDined on 8/14/2014We had a large party, service was slow, the food was okaySpecial Features:
- Happy HRAlexDined on 8/6/2014Not bad in general, food was good - meet was good. Beer crafting isn't good comparing to other micro breweries (and comparing to RB in AZ for example) - definitely can be better!! The real problem is - it is stinking there, more and more last time.Special Features:
- Very good food, great staffRandyDined on 8/4/2014Enjoyed our visit to Rock Bottom. It was quick, the food was good and the staff was helpful and pleasant.Special Features:
- Rock Bottom was greatOpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 8/2/2014Jim and I dined at Rock Bottom on Saturday night. We actually arrived 30 minutes before our reservation, and we were seated right away. The food was fantastic. Jim had the grilled chicken sandwich with mashed potatoes and I had my usual, a bun-less burger with cheese, bacon and a side salad with bleu cheese dressing. It was truly delicious. Even the iced tea was great (fresh brewed). We had a wonderful meal and will definitely put this place on our "visit often" list since we live about three blocks away. Even our server, Kayla, was amazing.Special Features:
- Great food and beer. Slow serviceFoodieBDined on 7/26/2014Had a great time. Food was good. Beer was also decent. Service was verrrry slow.Special Features:
- Don't use the restrooms!!letsmotorsdDined on 7/23/2014The mens restroom didn't appear to have been cleaned in a couple days. NASTY NASTY NASTY
- still don't know the writer's nameHarryHoutmanDined on 7/12/2014The service was horrible. The waiter never introduced himself just right away asked if we wanted something to drink. Then as the evening unfolded he rarely came by to check on drinks and when he did we were all empty and looking for him. The appetizers were brought out but no plates and he scurried off before we had a chance to ask for some. We waited but he never returned so had to use our napkins as plates. The food was dry and overcooked. Suspect to be left under the heat light to long. The night ended with this server getting an attitude with me because of splitting the bill and when asked for the manager, the manager sides with his "best server". I was shocked and will not be returning to rock bottom... EVER!Special Features:
- Delicious dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 7/12/2014My significant other and I dined at Rock Bottom on Saturday night. We had a great table and a very nice server. The food was fantastic. In fact, the manager paid for our meal because it took a long time to get to us due to a wedding party upstairs. She was the nicest manager I have ever met and we really enjoyed talking with her. We will definitely be back, as it is right down the street from our home.Special Features:
- poor serviceansuirenVIPDined on 7/7/2014The wait parson we had a lowest rating. She was chatting to the other wait parsons to take the place of service to us. We had called her many times before she came for order. In addition, We had to wait more than 20 min for our drinks to come and my Margarita had never came.Special Features:
- Outstanding serviceljfljollaDined on 7/2/2014We were lucky to have had a wonderful waitress by the name of Jacquelyn wait on us. She took great care of us. She was so friendly and efficient. She made us feel like we were very special and that we were the only customers she was waiting on at that time. She made out night very special and we will go back again thanks to Jacquelyn's wonderful service. Food was great and we had a nice booth.Special Features:
- The following 94 reviews are from the Rock Bottom Brewery - La Jolla reviews archive.
- fun restaurantkpigVIPDined on 6/20/2014Great restaurant for kids with plenty of choices for adults. Always sports on the TV's and with the World Cup on, it is exciting. I had wonderful chicken & avocado sandwich and a fantastic wedge salad. My grandson is there for the make your own pizza and make your own sundae.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good for group gatheringKeihDined on 6/8/2014Enjoyed good crafted beer and food with good service with all of us. Thanks for caring us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Suds and suchcharlieVIPDined on 5/28/2014Some great brews and fine brew pub food. Good choices, too many in fact. We were tempted by the pretzel choices but bi-passed those for street tacos, fish and chips and salmon ceasar. Hmmm fish eaters in a brew burger place.Special Features:
- Deck is pleasant.VisitorShowplaceDined on 5/26/2014Top grade draft ales (from a connoisseur). Good or great appetizers. Perfect venue for day meeting w visitors from East Coast.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice VarietyDinerRickDined on 5/24/2014Good food with lots of options to choose from. Plenty of in house brews along with wine and cocktails. Convenient location.Special Features:
- Great for kidskpigVIPDined on 5/23/2014my grandson only wants to eat at Rock Bottom when he stays with me. He loves the make your own pizza and make your own SundaySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rock Bottom is on TopVanillaDined on 5/3/2014High quality restaurant. Great value, and delicious food.Special Features:
- Everything was fine. OnlyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/8/2014Everything was fine. Only complaint is that I requested to have cake served to my husband at the end of our meal for his birthday and I had to remind them so I dont think my request was read. Also they gave all 3 of my children adult menus so my husband went to the hostess himself and got the right menus when my children questioned why they did not get crayons.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Appetizers are so so..burgers bad!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/28/2014Appetizers were way too salty(aka Calamari). Also, I ordered for couple of burgers(turkey/veggie) to go, easily the worst I have ever had.. totally disappointed.. :(
- Food is not bad, but stillAlexDined on 3/6/2014Food is not bad, but still no good options for appetizers/finger-food which is expected in the brewery.Special Features:
- We were in a bit of a rush,OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 2/4/2014We were in a bit of a rush, but our server was very accommodating. Drinks came out quickly and she took our order promptly. I ordered the meatloaf and my friend had the Cajun pasta. We waited 40 minutes for our food. So we asked for boxes when it arrived because we were now running late. I tried my friends pasta which was super salty and tasted like canned marinara sauce. She struggled to find the 3 pieces of shrimp she actually did find. My meatloaf was ok but dry. The lemon rice was just weird- and undercooked. I was very excited to try this place because from the outside it looked so best. From the moment we walked in to the moment we received our food, it felt like a glorified Applebee's. Gross! I will definitely not be returning.
- Group occasionMissyDined on 12/21/2013Planned to go to Rock Bottom for dinner with a group to celebrate a friends bday. The food and service was good. They brought a yummy dessert on the house for the bday girl. Only complaint was it was a bit noisy because we were seated under the speaker. Had to ask twice for them to lower the sound so we could hear each otherSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- too expensiveRafaelDined on 12/19/2013Food ok, good beer but overall too expensive for what it offered. A couple of beerd and an hamburger 40 $ it's too muchSpecial Features:
- Scheduled a reservation andOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/16/2013Scheduled a reservation and arrived 10 minutes early. Place was less than 1/4 full due to it was a slow time of day. Hostess was on the phone taking a phone order and ignored us. After the hostess completed the call, she asked us to wait "while they get the table ready" and promptly seated the party that arrived after us who didn't have a reservation. I can understand waiting while she took the other order due to it was a slow time of day with less staffing but to seat a party that arrived after us without a reservation when there was plenty of space is unacceptable to me. We didn't ask for any special requests and there was plenty of space to seat us.Special Features:
- Great microbrewery in La Jolla!MohoVIPDined on 9/28/2013I love coming to Rock Bottom in La Jolla. Every time I visit San Diego, I make it a point to come to this particular restaurant. Their beer selection is great, and their locally brewed beer tastes crisp and fresh every time. Their food is always great; the wings are particularly good because they are large, very flavorful, and juicy as opposed to the yucky crispy small ones typical of bar fare. The service is also outstanding. But I guess that can be said of any West Coast restuarant . We East Coast folk are used to rude service and are amazed when a waiter is actually attentive. At Rock Bottom, they are courteous, polite, and very knowledgeable! Great place! Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Nice Time.PurpleGrinDined on 8/24/2013Stopped in for a bite before a play down the street. A bit of confusion amongst the young hostesses but a great waiter with competence and poise. Amazing ahi appetizer. Quick drink service and reasonably priced. I found another comfortable place in La Jolla! Thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sporty atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/23/2013Belgium beer is awesome. Big enough to get place. Don't have to really wait long. Crowd is vibrant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Work LuncheonVJeffersDined on 7/25/2013The great thing about the online reservation was the fact that we didn't have to wait to be seated. Our order was received in record time and the food was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday Party PerfectClaireFlaireDined on 7/24/2013We held a birthday dinner for my two sons whose birthdays are days apart. We were looking for an energetic place with a great variety of food. We also wanted a spot that could comfortably accommodate our group that had grown to 18. Everything was perfect and we had a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My Birthday son LOVED this place!ChrisH3040VIPDined on 7/20/2013Ideal for my son's 28th birthday celebraton while in La Jolla! The menu is extensive and the home brewed beers are outstanding. We will definitely return when in the area again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Way too noisy!jrabbit4Dined on 7/20/2013Deters from enjoying the meal. Could not even hear the person across the table from me, Left with a raspy throat because I had to yell to be heard by my table mates. Suggestions-- have separate, closed rooms for parties over 6. Expand the patio dining, if possible. Even much yonger people around us were complaining about the sound level and the fact that everyone had to yell to be heard. This is why we don't frequent your restaurnat for dinner and why I can't recommend you for other than for off-hours. All that being said--love the menu and the food, and the serving staff are great. Need to ask the front folks to be a bit more welcoming. Please take all of this as constructive--if I didn't like you I wouldn't bother answering this!Special Features: