203 N. El Camino Real
San Clemente, CA 92672Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://roccos-restaurant.com/
- Phone: 9493887766
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: European, Italian
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Chef's Table, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Rocco's Restaurant
Locally owned and operated by local Master Chef Rocco Cobonara, we provide diners with a diverse menu, amazing cooking and extremely affordable prices.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Rocco's Restaurant - Best Restaurants in San Clemente ›
Rocco's Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
30 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (21)fit for foodies (17)special occasion (7)romantic (6)vibrant bar scene (3)great for lunch (2)good for groups (2)hot spot (1)great for outdoor dining (1)scenic view (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Good Restaurant but very noisyspierceDined on 9/6/2014The noise level was very high making it difficult to carry on a conversation with the other couple we went to the restaurant with. The food was very good and so was the service - but I would prefer a place where you can actually hear each other talk.
- Great dinner at Rocco'sDarmanDined on 9/4/2014This was our first time at Rocco's, and I was very pleasantly surprised. The restaurant is very small, but that also made it very intimate and very quiet, which was great for a very nice dinner. The service and food were outstanding. My wife's fish was cooked perfectly and she loved it, while my pasta dish was nice and al dente, and had great flavors. The server recommended a wine and it was also delicious. We have now added Rocco's to our list of favorite restaurants in SoCal.Special Features:
- Rocco'sSanClementeanDined on 9/1/2014Overall, food was great, and service was adequate. The seating area is rather small and somewhat oddly laid out, but the table service was adequate as well. Paella was superb as was the porkchops and empanada's.....Special Features:
- Average at bestMauricioDined on 8/19/2014Booked a table but clearly got the worst one in the house,right by the door which was actively opening and closing,and the guitar player who was about a yard from my ear. The chicken was served quite raw and had to be returned by which time I had finished my meal. Sorry about that was the extent of any apology. The bar was just to my left and seemed to draw a boozy crowd,one woman who was clearly drunk fell to the floor and when she left she collided with our table. Most people seemed to be well known to each other and the staff. The restaurant has potential but right now it seems to be more of a local hangout.Special Features:
- Dining at a local restaurant foodLocalKeith1Dined on 8/16/2014This is a local restaurant with terrific main dishes. The variety of Italian/Latino is extensive. The broccoli soup of the day was amazing. The desserts were good but not of the same quality as the entrees. Compliments to an amazing chef. I feel that it is a wonderful place for parties up to 6. Larger parties create a bit if difficulty due to a small kitchen. Service can be slow for large parties. Have addressed lack of parking with a valet lot that is located down the street. Validation was available for the parking lot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific gem in San ClementeG8placesDined on 7/31/2014Rocco's is a family owned place where you feel like you are home. Bell and Rocco are there daily. The food is always a new find. Their wine of the week is great. Bell will help find the right one for you. Go with Rocco's daily special. You will be always amazed. His ability to make a gentle sauce that adds the most exciting flavors. The regular menu is full of gems. The eggplant applitizer is delicate and will make everyone love eggplant. It's my and everyone who had shared with me, favorite. Last week Rocco created a gluten free ravioli stuffed with Yumm served with a mushroom sauce to lick your plate for. Enjoy!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful SelectionsDaraTheExplorerDined on 7/18/2014We visited as a party of 5. Our server made excellent suggestions. The menu selections were nicely customized. The seafood was very fresh. The cheese stuffed pork chop was enjoyed by both teenagers dining with us. The spinach accompaniment was fresh and tast. The risotto dishes were tasty and interesting. We highly recommend both the vanilla and chocolate crime brûlée.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find in San ClementeDGW005Dined on 7/17/2014I found this restaurant on yelp and the reviews were fabulous. You will not be disappointed!! The service was fantastic and the recommendations were perfect. I would highly recommend and I will return. Try the eggplant appetizer and the choc crime brûlée for dessert!!!Special Features:
- Service was the major drawbackOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/5/2014Our group was four total. When seated and commenting on how warm it was, our waitress told us "this is the hotest table in the restuarant. After serveral requests to cool things down, we accepted the fact that we would sweat through dinner. Food was good (escargot was excellent), but the experience was misserable, highlighted by our non-resonsive waitress, who we had to ask for things several times before getting a response. Didn't seem like she wanted to be there that night!!Special Features:
- Great find in San ClementeOCfoodieDined on 7/5/2014The sea bass was amazing...melt in your mouth good. The salad was excellent. No so sure about the empanadas...but then I'm not sure about empanadas in general. My husband had the risotto and I was lucky enough to get a bite. It was delicious. We will be back. Our server was warm and friendly which added to our positive experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful find!PanAmPatDined on 6/25/2014Our neighbors in San Clemente introduced us to this restaurant and we love it. It's very small so reservations are a good idea. It has a Casual but sophisticated atmosphere. The pumpkin ravioli was great. There is a nice private dining area for a group of 6-8.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulPatMDined on 6/21/2014Rocco's has a great feel, quaint and special. Rocco and Bella do a wonderful job of making you feel welcomed. Food is spectacular. Flavors, quantity, colorful. Definitely coming back to this local place again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent find!CaleyfDined on 6/14/2014So glad we looked on Yelp bc others wrote what a fantastic place this is and they were right! From everything to the appetizers to dessert! Phenomenal find! Thanks, Yelp!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rocco's Never FailsDianneDined on 6/14/2014We have been coming here since they opened. Their food is was good and consistent. When we want to have a nice meal experience we think of them. Booked on Open Table at the last minute on a Saturday night and got in!Special Features:
- great little placepsjackDined on 6/13/2014The food is just delicious. Every time we go, all four of us are very pleased. Last visit we had to wait a while for our reservation and they comped a round of drinks...great serviceSpecial Features:
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/7/2014The food & service is excellent! The restaurant is extremely noisy it was difficult to have a conversation with our friends.Special Features:
- mrdeanmrdeanDined on 6/6/2014Our first time at Rocco's and it was excellent. Food was crazy good and the service on par. The Chef owner Rocco seemed to handle and touch every plate that goes out and it shows. That is how all chef owners should conduct business when their name is on the door. Great job Rocco!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what I expecteddrinkeatbemerryDined on 6/6/2014Smaller than I expected so pretty loud inside and they only served beer (very limited) and wine. Appetizers and service were good, though.Special Features:
- donna1Dined on 6/2/2014It's a small place and was pretty noisy. We were on-time for our reservations and our table wasn't ready. We had to stand in the doorway waiting for the hostess to set up the table, wasn't real crazy about this aspect of our dinner. The food made up for that as it was outstanding. Would definitely go back to this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rocco's, San Clemente, CATrishDined on 5/30/2014Love this place. Yummy Escargot! Miss the Bone Marrow. Lots of interesting as well as "near" traditional food. Great variety and always interesting specials. The reason for only 4 stars, my shrimp was sadly overcooked even though I asked my server to tell the chef to cook it very little. They would have gladly replaced but we had ordered too much other stuff and decided to let it go. They were very nice about the whole thing. Doubt it will happen again.Special Features:
- We found a gem!TheMercsDined on 5/25/2014This place is small but all-around great! The portions are a perfect size and the ambiance is inviting. The food is absolutely delicious and our service was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 79 reviews are from the Rocco's Restaurant reviews archive.
- welcoming family restaurantCAandMAVIPDined on 5/18/2014People at Rocco's want to please and do a nice job of it. Food is traditional and nicely prepared. The location is in the heart of small shops and restaurants but easily accessed by freeway if you are traveling north or south on I5 and dinner in San Clemente fits your travels!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/12/2014We have been there several times and have always had a good experience. We have recommended Rocco's to others who have since gone there. They also have given good reports, especially on the food.Special Features:
- Fabulous!SCResidentDined on 4/12/2014One of my favorite places! Make sure you have a reservation as a small number of tables.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best in San ClementesanclemcjVIPDined on 3/30/2014Chef-owned restaurant, so you know who is making and serving the food. Good food that pleased even my 81-year old mother and her 95-year old husband, who don't like anything too fancy or spicy. Also pleased the more adventurous eaters in the group. Definitely something for everyone; good portions, not overpriced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for casual diningjoicee10Dined on 3/28/2014Friendly little dining spot. Food was very good and affordable. Wine prices are reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood GemDianneDined on 3/22/2014A wonderful place for a quiet dinner - noise at a minimum, soft background music. The escargot was fantastic! Service was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our mainstay in SCRB3FoodieDined on 3/21/2014Rocco's is a great local spot that has great food and enthusiastic service. It gets a little on the loud side, but it isn't unbearable by any means. Enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice decor, good fooduoprincessDined on 2/22/2014Very attentive waiter, risottos were tasty, but salty, empanadas yummy. Wine only. We're taken as soon As we walked in.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great night out in San ClementeGregMDined on 2/21/2014Make sure you make a reservation because Rocco's seems to be always filled. Ambience has a cozy feel. Not a big restaurant but warm and comfortable. Food was great. The Pork chop was to die for. Also the Paella was very good. Service was quick and very friendly. Try Roccos, i am sure you will love itSpecial Features:
- BLASTINGLY LOUDOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 2/21/2014The food is really good, the service is excellent. The wine is notable. But you won't hear a single thing that is said to you by the server or by any of your dinner companions. You will not enjoy your experience here because of the noise level. The era when this was trendy, or cute, or acceptable is over. The restaurant needs to rethink its niche.
- always a great dinner....greatCarolVIPDined on 2/20/2014always a great dinner....great service....delicious food!Special Features:
- excellent food/noise to loudRitaDined on 2/15/2014we sat by the bar and it was so hard to hear each other talk. acoustic are not good. The positive is that the food is great. Plan on going there on a less busy time and it should be fine.Special Features:
- Great little gemPattyDined on 2/14/2014We always enjoy an excuse to dine in this gem of a restaurant. Valentine's Day was just such an excuse. We could only get in at 5 o'clock which speaks to the popularity of the establishment. The food was great; excellent special ravioli with duck. Perfectly prepared bass. We always love the caprice salad. Wine recommendation was good. We finished with a creme brûlée. All in all a great evening.Special Features:
- Bday DinnerRinkabusDined on 2/7/2014We had a great experience. Rocco cooks amazing food. We highly recommend this little san clemente gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rocco's SCTMAGDined on 2/1/2014Great menu selections. Best risotto I have probably ever had. Although I have only been there once, this is probably the best Italian food I have had in Orange County for a long time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I'd rather keep this gem a secretOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/24/2014I almost didn't leave a review, as I don't want others to discover this little gem in San Clemente, but Rocco deserves all the success he has had, and will continue to have. It's not a terribly romantic place, as it is rather small, and loud, but it's a really fun neighborhood gathering place, and everybody walks around and talks to one another, and Rocco always comes by the tables and meets people, saying good bye to them by name when they leave. Food is overwhelming, as I look at the menu and picked so many dishes I wanted to try that I just gave up and told Rocco to make me whatever he wants, off-menu. It was a veal/eggplant/cheese/prociutto layered treat. Love this place.Special Features:
- Will definitely return!annmarieDined on 1/10/2014THIS WAS OUR FIRST TIME AT ROCCO'S AND WE WERE VERY PLEASED WITH OUR EXPERIENCE. WE ARE LOOKING FORWARD TO TRYING OTHER ITEMS ON THE MENU.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rocco's -- Visit Frequently!PatMDined on 12/28/2013Great little place. Atmosphere is excellent! Bella and Rocco do an excellent job and making you feel welcomed, as if you were at home. Food, what else can be said but to use the over-used phrase "to die for". Seafood Risotto, Paella, excellent European and South American flare, you won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OKOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/30/2013We arrived without a reservation at 6:30p and told they were fully booked the rest of the night, turned away. Subsequently went on Open Table, and to our surprise, there were plenty of openings from 7:30 pm on. When seated we peruse the weak wine list. The server had no idea what he was talking about with regards to our questions on the list. Perhaps the owner should do a better job at educating his staff on the wine list. Hint: then you might sell more wine...After we ordered our appetizer, we waited 10 min. The server returned, took our dinner order and asked if we'd like to start with an appetizer. Huh? During our wine and water glasses went empty without attention from staff. Food, just ok, uninspiring.