1131 Folsom Street
San Francisco, CA 94103Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.roccoscafe.com/
- Phone: 4155540522x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 7:00am - 11:30am
Saturday - Sunday: 8:00am - 4:00pm
Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 3:00pm
Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 4:00pm
Tuesday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
Saturday - Sunday: 8:00am - 4:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Italian
- Executive Chef: Chef Don
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Whether it's a Birthday, Anniversary, Wedding, or other Special Occasion, let Rocco's Catering do all the work! And remember, you also have these options:
• Host your party here at Rocco's Café - on Sunday or Monday nights you can have Rocco's all to yourselves! (Minimum number of people 30, Maximum 50)
• We prepare the food - you pick up or we deliver
• We prepare the food - we deliver, set up, and provide service staff
- Private Party Facilities: Host your party here at Rocco's Café! On Sunday or Monday nights you can have Rocco's all to yourselves! (Minimum number of people 30, Maximum 50)
- Private Party Contact: Chef Don 4155540522x
- Special Events: Rocco's Cafe was recently featured on Food Network Channel's popular TV Show "Diners, Drive-ins & Dives". The show aired on June 15th, 2009 and repeats often.
- Cross Street: between 7th & 8th Sts.
- Public Transit: Three blocks south from Civic Center BART station and Muni Station.
#19 Muni Bus stops at 7th and Folsom inbound and 8th and Folsom outbound.
#12 Muni Bus stops at 7th and Folsom
#27 Muni Bus stops at 7th and Harrison (one block south)
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Ample parking available on Folsom Street between 7th and 8th.
A word from Rocco's Cafe
Rocco's Café on Folsom Street is a neighborhood institution offering authentic, home-style Italian food with a taste of tradition. We have a full breakfast, lunch and dinner menu with brunch specials served all day Saturday and Sunday. Experience the excitement of an open kitchen. Rocco's is great for a casual lunch or a romantic dinner.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Rocco's Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
55 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (41)great for lunch (19)fit for foodies (18)great for brunch (16)good for groups (12)special occasion (11)kid-friendly (9)hot spot (8)romantic (6)late-night find (6)Show More
- Rocco's Fanfour2dineDined on 9/27/2014We went to Rocco's after an SF Giants game.Upon arrival we checked in with the Hostess and were immediately seated.We noticed any number of other Giants fans who appeared to be doing what we were doing. The Restaurant was busy with a very vibrant crowd. The servers were prompt, we were apprised of the evenings specials,and our orders were taken. The food was outstanding! This makes the 5th time I have dined at Rocco's & the friend who was with me remarked on how much he liked the food.The next day he informed me that he had recommended Rocco's to friends of his who live in The City and wanted to know where Rocco's was located! Sounds like Rocco's will be getting more recommendations soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Liver & Onions I've Ever HadpattiepeaDined on 9/25/2014OMG! It takes a special place to do Liver and Onions - nice size piece of liver, wrapped in onions and bacon and the gravy it was in was sweet and delicious with a side of spinach. Liver and Onions can be an acquired taste; however, this liver and onions was like prime rib and the best gravy in the world. I will be thinking of liver and onions until I visit Rocco's again - it really is the best!! So far, I've tried their their fried chicken, garlic mash potatoes and spinach [LOVED IT], French Dip sandwich [LOVED IT], and the garlic oil/paste that comes with the Italian Bread is what dreams are made of. It seems everything is delicious at Rocco's Cafe!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So good and full of historyCallMeTubaDined on 9/18/2014So this place has been around for 20+ years but it's still great food and awesome service. My boyfriend and I have been there twice now and both times the food was great and the service was exceptional. It's definitely going to be that restaurant that we eat at ever week just because we've been made feel so welcomed by the staff. The specials have been really good and even the Blue Cheese Crumble salad I had was great. Just all around good place to grab a meal.Special Features:
- Great Food and New Friends!MalindaZDined on 9/17/2014My husband and I went to Rocco's based on the Diners, Drive-ins and Dives show. It was all we expected and more! The place is small and the tables are close and we enjoyed striking up conversation with a lovely man from Australia. Paula, the hostess was very friendly and welcoming. And Rocco's grand son , now at the helm came out and greeted everyone. Oh, and the food was great! Portions are generous! Can't wait to go back on our next trip to San Francisco.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Maybe we ordered wronggrannygooseVIPDined on 9/13/2014Food was just OK. We had a reservation but were seated at a table by the open front door - it was cold. Most people love this place - just wasn't our bag.
- Fantastic Homemade Italian DishesTexas2SteppersDined on 9/13/2014This restaurant was featured by Guy Fieri on "Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives." It was a great dining experience for our first visit to San Francisco . . . homemade Italian dishes - we had one of the special features - Cheese Tortellini Alfredo topped with the house-marinated grilled chicken breast. It is a fabulous dish: mouth watering alfredo sauce pulled the whole dish together. We will do this one again and again. Excellent service!! This is a quaint cafe with a laid back atmosphere.Special Features:
- Theater CrowdLJE2Dined on 9/10/2014Great food, food service slow even during quiet times, wait staff so-so- no sense of urgency. Food was very good, I was extremely surprised. Party of 4 and everyone liked the food. Good portions. Will return, especially when going to theater.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingADBfoldemDined on 9/2/2014We chose Rocco's for a pre-theater dinner before seeing Motown. While the service was fine, the food was less than ordinary. The ravioli I ordered was nearly inedible and my daughter's pesto pasta was really ordinary. I can't understand all these great reviews.
- early dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014Went here for an early dinner before a show. At 6:00 had the place to ourselves. The chicken marsala great as advertised. Fun with friendly service. Only complaint is no full bar but the Bloodhound next door is a fun neighborhood bar.Special Features:
- Consistently goodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/20/2014Rocco's is one of my favorite places to take visitors who prefer good Italian and American food to more adventurous fare. One very hungry guest had an enormous appetizer of marinara-covered polenta with tomatoes and followed it with eggplant parmigiana and sauteed vegetables. She was happily full. A chicken caesar was enough for me, and pasta marinara filled up my other guest. Another very nice meal with pleasant service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a great find!SkripDiningExperienceDined on 8/19/2014We chose Rocco's based solely on the reviews on Open Table. We had no idea of restaurants in the area or where to go, so we felt comfortable choosing by 'Star Rating' Let me tell anyone out there in Open Table land, you will NOT BE DISAPPOINTED with Rocco's. It is located in a trendy area of San Francisco within walking distance of our hotel in SOMA area. The chicken marsala was the absolute best I've ever had!! Make sure to put this on your list! Not fancy Italian - Not fancy surroundings - Just GREAT food!Special Features:
- Fun @ Rocco's CafeFoodPal2014Dined on 8/15/2014My 2 friends & I went there for lunch, we had a fun time enjoying their food. We will come back for that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/9/2014I was traveling my niece in SF and found this on the hotel website. I liked the big menu and proximity to our hotel. Food and service were great. Would recommend to a friend if in that part of town.Special Features:
- Roccos CafewineanddineVIPDined on 8/8/2014Although parking was a bit challenging, we were glad that we circled the block a few times. We decided on the fried chicken and the steak salad for our entrees. Although the chicken was a bit darker on the frying, it was actually quite tasty. The salad was heavy on the dressing which made it soggy so it might be a good idea to ask for dressing on the side if a salad is ordered. The tables are very close together and we actually bumped elbows with the person next to us as we were eating. It was also very awkward when any of us got up without our rear ends too close to the neighboring tables (+ visa-versa). I would go back to try some of the other dishes that I saw close up- they looked very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another good timeOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/6/2014The 4 of us went to Rocco's after an art show opening. Chicken Caesars wonderful as usual. Filet of sole sandwich a winner. New Wednesday special was a choice of 2 pizzas. One of our party ordered the "cheeseburger" pizza (the other was like a margharita pizza). That delayed our whole order, and the crust came borderline too burnt - which explained the smoky smell in the restaurant. Otherwise a very pleasant evening at what remains one of our SOMA go-to places. We'll be back, hoping that other kinds of specials will reduce the smoke level and not take so long to prepare.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still one of my favoritesrenodeanVIPDined on 7/29/2014So, I've been going to Rocco's for YEARS. It's still great. I've had breakfast, lunch and dinner there several times over the years. I hope it never changes! I like to try their specials. I like ALL of their Italian and Pasta dishes. Sometimes I've just gotta have one of their great burgers! I love looking at all the photos of the different celebrities that have been there too.Special Features:
- always wonderfulmrB1VIPDined on 7/29/2014We always have the best time and best food at Rocco'sSpecial Features:
- Rocco a hitBubbaDined on 7/25/2014Went there before a Giant's game. Food was excellent. Fair price great service. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as advertised!LuvtoeatoutAG79Dined on 7/10/2014Second time to Rocco's after seeing it on the Triple D show. Had the Chicken Piccata and it was as good as the first time. I need to get here more often to try other things on the menu. I only get to San Francisco once a year, but make an effort to get here. Service was great and friendly. Food was fantastic. Sat at the bar watched the cooks do their magic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I love this placeLeeAnnDined on 7/1/2014Rocco's is my very favorite restaurant. I go here every chance I can. Whenever I run into someone visiting the city, even if I don't know them, I suggest they try Rocco's. Their Chicken Picatta is to die for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/26/2014It use to be excellent, but this time the food was tasteless.
- A Taste of ItalyAtlFoodieDined on 6/26/2014I have taken friends to Rocco's several times and have always had a delicious and filling meal. Chicken, fish, and pastas and their pairings are all excellent! It's a treat to sit at the bar and watch the chef and his assistants prepare the meals. I highly recommend this neighborhood gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!MindizzledazzleDined on 6/23/2014After seeing this diner featured in Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives, I had quite lofty expectations and I was definitely not disappointed! The decor had my eyes wandering the entire restaurant and the food was superb. I watched as my linguine with clams and white cream sauce was prepared and it was like watching magic happen in front of my eyes. I loved being able to watch the food being prepared. The entire experience was amazing. I wish I could go back to SF just to eat there again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 539 reviews are from the Rocco's Cafe reviews archive.
- Service was great, food not so muchMykeTVVIPDined on 5/21/2014The setting and the service were really great but the food was just okay. I had the sausage penne pasta which was supposed to be spicy, but was a bit bland overall. I tasted my husband's gnocchi which was also just kind of blah. My friend ordered the pepperoni pizza (served on wednesdays) which looked really yummy but I didn't taste it unfortunately.Special Features:
- Great find!laurtomVIPDined on 5/14/2014Exceptional service, interesting menu, takes pub grub to new heights. A delightful dining experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OMGDevinedinerDined on 5/9/2014The food was not so good. Bread rather dry, dipping oil terrible taste, eggplant parmesan was the worst I have ever had and the spaghetti was just ok. Not likely to ever return!Special Features:
- My breakfast placeDenisVIPDined on 5/7/2014This is a great not expensive little neighborhood cafe. I always go there for breakfast meetings near the office. The coffee is good, the food is good, the price is good. The portion size is generous but OK. I like this place.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rocca's - 2nd timeck94112VIPDined on 4/30/2014I was there on a business dinner. Can't say enough nice things for this restaurant. Good traditional Italian food, very good portions (not over kill), deliciousssss! Will go back again anytime.Special Features:
- GOOD Italion foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/18/2014We were going to Slims for a show and wanted to try a restaurant south of Market. Rocco's is like going back in time, it reminded my wife and I of childhood experiences in North Beach. The food was very good and we were assured there were not going to be vampires around that night because we both enjoyed allot of garlic!! We are going back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Made Fresh to OrderSouthCarolinaResidentDined on 4/12/2014This is a great neighborhood Italian restaurant. It's very small, but very personable with pictures decorating all the walls. You can see the cooks preparing each meal fresh to order, and you can taste the freshness and food quality in each meal. I ordered the eggplant parmesan and my wife got shrimp linguine. It was by far the best meal we had in San Fran, and we had a lot of good meals. Our hotel was not familiar with the restaurant, but some locals we trusted highly recommended it to us and we are glad we tried it out. I highly recommend Rocco's Cafe to anyone wanting a great meal in a casual, small setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, energetic crowdChrisDined on 4/8/2014I had dinner with my husband and a friend and everyone enjoyed their food and service. The only draw back was the noise level and the smells from the open kitchen but otherwise a great place to eatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place to watch yourOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/5/2014Great place to watch your food made right in front of you, if you choose to sit at the counter. Food quality is amazing!Special Features:
- The food was excellent, itOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/5/2014The food was excellent, it was served hot to our table. Every dish tasted fresh.I would recommend this to a friend.
- great restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/22/2014Great food .Don is the owner great chef and a nice guySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chaos, Great Food, Lots of Love.RichardDowneyDined on 3/22/2014If you're looking for a quaint and quiet eatery to slowly sip and enjoy the ambiance, you're at the wrong joint. This cafe is a wonderful mix of making new friends - translated as elbow-to-elbow seating with complete strangers - yelling over the cacophony to place your order, and scents of deliciousness the likes of which are beyond mere words. The service is joyous and sincere. The attention paid by everyone from "Double D" to the bussers is only surpassed by the amazing food. The Chicken Marsala? I have never had better. Deep, rich, slightly tangy and wonderfully satisfying, be sure to use the crusty heels of your bread to get every bite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Weeknight DinnerTracyDined on 3/19/2014We had a nice family weeknight dinner - solid food and attentive service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friday nightStefDined on 3/14/2014Made a reservation for 4 people, we arrived about 15 minutes ahead of our two friends who were joining us. There was an open table available and they weren't that busy, but we were left standing until about 5 minutes AFTER our friends arrived. That was kind of odd. Service was good except for the fact that no pre-meal bread was served until out actual meal came. Not a big deal, they just seemed to be having a bit of an off night service wise. Other than that, the food was delish as always. I had eggplant parm, my husband chicken parm (they don't have veal here, not sure why??) and our friends had chicken picatta and a yummy pasta dish with lots of scrumptious prawns. I always enjoy eating at Rocco's and look forward to our next visit.
- Best Sauteed Chicken Parmesan EVER!FabulousDined on 3/10/2014all of the people I take here love Rocco's... They have tried all sorts of things from the Polenta to the Chicken Pasta Specials.... But I just cannot go here and NOT get the Sauteed Chicken Parmesan. The chicken is perfectly done, the sauce is amazing and they put the perfect amount of cheese on top. So good. I have never tasted anything like it! LOVE ROCCO'S - the only thing better than the food is the fabulous staff. Friendly, smiling and attentive - they all very much seem to love what they do and what they put in front of you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rocco's RocksFoodieDined on 3/1/2014I live in the neighborhood and Rocco's is my go to place - breakfast, brunch, lunch or dinner. The menu has solutions for any type of hunger. Watching the cooks dish out is like being at cooking school - you can watch what they are making, almost from scratch. The service staff are fantastic - they ensure you are well taken care of, and they are friendly. Rocco's has everything going - try it out.Special Features:
- Food experienceGourmetddsDined on 3/1/2014Had visited Roccos before. Great service, food quality excellent with innovative chef presenting items with gusto. Our cioppinno was rich, full of crab, fish, mussels, spicy yet totally comfortable. Don, the owner circulates with small talk and contributes to the family/neighborhood feeling. Tight little spaces but everyone ends up in conversation about the food anyway. Price was higher than a visit one year earlier. 40 bucks for a bowl of cioppinno is not moderately priced in a restaurant of this bar/cafe status. I would still go back as the food was great! Reservations are accepted, a bonus for our group. Other restaurants are dropping the reservation option. Increasing a wait that might be extensive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.