1296 1st Street
Sarasota, FL 34236Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.roastsarasota.com/
- Phone: 9419531971x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch; Mon - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm-9.00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5.00pm-10.00pm
Closed Saturday and Sunday lunch for the summer thru August
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Andrew Thompson
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Entertainment: We offer a selection of live entertainment, throughout the year. In the courtyard live one and two piece musicians play light blues, jazz and other vocal and instrumental genres. In the upstairs lounge bar, single vocalists entertain with a selection of genres to suit all tastes.
- Cross Street: Pineapple Avenue
- Public Transit: Sarasota main bus terminal is a five minute walk from the restaurant.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Street parking is available as is valet, there is also a five story parking lot located at the back of the restaurant open seven days a week.
A word from Roast
Roast restaurant and bar is downtown Sarasota"s, newest destination restaurant, from chef owner Andrew Thompson. With multiple dining and drinking options, Roast offers something for everyone. Located in the heart of the performing arts district, guests can choose from a sumptuous and innovative 3 course meal in the transformed dining room, a casual cocktail upstairs with lite bites in the old world Floridian style lounge bar,, or a gathering of friends,libations and sharing platters in the gorgeous courtyard,adored with majestic palms and tropical plants. the courtyard features its own outside bar, fire pits and a purpose built rotisserie grill for weekend specials of whole roasted suckling pigs! We look forward to welcoming you to our exciting venue!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Roast - Best Restaurants in Sarasota ›
Roast reviews from OpenTable diners
131 reviews since May 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (76)fit for foodies (75)special occasion (61)neighborhood gem (53)romantic (53)good for groups (21)great for lunch (18)great for brunch (12)hot spot (10)notable wine list (8)scenic view (7)kid-friendly (5)vibrant bar scene (5)late-night find (3)Show More
- Amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/24/2014We had the quail, scallops, and Savor Sarasota - mussels, steak, salmon and calamari! It was my birthday and they gave me a glass of champagne! The waiter was amazing, great service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!FoodieDined on 8/23/2014The food and menu are both excellent! I highly recommend giving this place a try! The service is friendly and knowledgeable but slow. Be patient. It's worth the wait!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Roast RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014This was my first visit to Roast. I had wanted to sit in the courtyard but it was too hot so they seated us upstairs. (they did call me to notify me that we would be indoors). I was expecting to be downstairs but we had to climb a flight of stairs. I have bad knees so this was not a welcome surprise!The 3 of us chose the Roasted pork special that also included a glass of wine. The plate had a variety of vegetables along with thick slices of pork. An additional side dish of cauliflower aux gratin came with the entree as well. Everything was tasty but my pieces of pork included a great deal of fat.I would return to Roast because I saw several dishes on the menu that sounded delicious. The service was very good at first but declined later.Special Features:
- richardDined on 8/20/2014This was a great dining experience, and we will be back on many occasions.Special Features:
- A Night at RoastgailDined on 8/18/2014Weather permitting it has a lovely outdoor dining area. We were there on a Monday night in summer and the restaurant was not crowded so the noise level was minimum. The food was very good and all six were very satisfied with our selections. The service was excellent. The server explained the dishes very well and was quite efficient as well as gracious.Special Features:
- MartinDined on 8/17/2014While this was our first time at Roast we had been to this venue before when it was a different restaurant.We enjoyed our dining experience very much.Since it is so close to the Opera a House and theaters we expect to return oftenSpecial Features:
- Foodies - this one's for you!bonnemangerDined on 8/16/2014Our waitress was charming and highly knowledgable about the ingredients in each dish. The meal was superb. Between the four of us we ordered: Roast beet salad, goat curd, truffled honey; Arugula, avocado, queso fresca salad with cilantro and lime dressing; Neck of Lamb Tagine, with eggplant, couscous; Almond Crusted duck breast, confit leg hash, turnips, honey mustard jus; Roast grouper, sun choke puree, grilled artichokes, tomato. We shared the warm sticky toffee pudding with salted caramel ice cream - scrumptious! Excellent meal. Great ambience. This has now become our favorite restaurant. What a find!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood gemBlovenDined on 8/13/2014Great food and wonderful ambience. Looking forward to cooler weather and outdoor dining. Our waiter, Jordan, was excellent.Special Features:
- Everyone was blown away.greatDined on 8/13/2014I was scrambling to come up with a before theater restaurant... and I found Roast. All 6 of us had a great meal, super drinks (they made my cosmo RIGHT!) and an over-the-top dessert, recommended by our waitress, that we all shared. I got a "well done" from everyone.Special Features:
- Could be betterSarasotaDinerDined on 8/8/2014Very, very noisy. Service was poor. Three complete meals arrived, but our fourth guest got his meat without the side. Had to wait and wait. Our server was not attentive.
- Stick with the entreesfalcon38Dined on 8/8/2014Fourth trip to ROAST tempted us to try appetizers. Mussels were good but almost too spicy this visit although great in the past. Beef sliders were ordinary and on the dry side according to two diners. Grouper sliders got a mixed review. I loved mine, another in our party thought his were dry. One person had Savor Sarasota meal - steak - and was delighted. Wedge salad got rave reviews as did the artichoke ravioli. We could not figure out if the waiter was inebriated, but service was very good regardless. Drank great wine with our meals from limited, but superb selection.Special Features:
- Our waiter Jordan was incredible!SRQDowntownRes1Dined on 8/6/2014Our waiter Jordan was incredibly knowledgeable about the menu, attentive and engaging. Great conversationalist, very handsome and charming as well. The food was exactly as he stated, as he had suggested all our courses. Jordan is a GREAT asset to Roast!Special Features:
- Run to RoastCal66VIPDined on 8/2/2014The staff, ambience, and food was so terrific I returned the next evening. Corner of 1st & Pineapple. Deviled eggs, beet salad, salmon encrusted with wasabi are winners. Recommend a reservation. Valet parking available and a nearby garage. One of the best restaurants I've dined at with reasonable prices. Dining at the beautiful bar is available. Be sure to go upstairs for an after dinner cocktail. This is a winner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highly Recommended !Nancy1331Dined on 8/2/2014The Roast was an exceptional dining experience. I would say it was the best dining my husband and I have experienced in the 20 years we have lived in Sarasota. We were seated on the second floor, which was the best thing that could have happened. We sat in a quiet corner at the end of the bar. Just what we wanted. The food was outstanding. We each had appitizers (ahoi tuna and salmon plate), salads (local greens), and an entree (Lamb and Scallops), and were too full to order dessert. The prices were reasonable for the quality of food served. We can't wait to go back again, for the variety was extensive. Not a great place for younger children, but adults must try this interesting and old world charm restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SalmonSarasotanDined on 8/2/2014Everyone liked what they ordered, but they were out of grouper so I got the salmon which was small and slightly over cooked. It had sprinkling spices which were the same as the Cod which was just ok. One of my party ordered the "Roast". They loved it and it was a massive portion. There are other place to go for seafood.
- BuddyweiserDined on 8/2/2014Food was very good but everything was over salted. Too many tables too close together in rather small area causing overly warm and noisey environment. Restrooms to accommodate only one person at a time, not sure how they get away with that. Server was very congenial and accommodating.Special Features:
- OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014Great place.. The menu has so many interesting items that you won't find in other restaurants, you want to go again simply to try other items. The food was prepared and presented wonderfully, we had black grouper and it was the best. This will be one of our favorite places.Special Features:
- Wonderful MealOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/31/2014Roast provided a wonderful meal last weekend! I had the Cornish hen, which was superb. My friends had the NY strip and Salmon. The salmon was stated to be the best they'd ever had. My friend who got the strip said it was wonderful as well. Service was great! Prices were very fair. All in all, I'd recommend Roast to anybody, and think it's one of Sarasota's best at the moment!Special Features:
- TerrylovesfoodTerrylovesfoodDined on 7/28/2014We love Roast and have had 2 wonderful meals there. The last meal wasn't the best, as one of the strip steaks was pretty bad. The other strip was delicious and my rib eye steak was perfect. As usual, the duck fat fries were devoured! We should have brought the bad steak to their attention but we did not. If it occurs again, we will. We still love Roast.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ClaudioDined on 7/27/2014Beautiful place. Great location. The server was affable and professional. Food was excellent, well prepared and presented. Prices were high but reasonable for the place. Our second time here. We'll definitely go back.Special Features:
- Good location for opera, FSTlaurieslandVIPDined on 7/27/2014I had a good meal. considering I had to send it back to the kitchen twice and could have sent it back a third time. I started with the calamari appetizer, and it was very good. It came with about 1/8 c. dipping sauce, which was on the short side. I ordered my steak medium-rare, and it came out well done. I sent it back, and the kitchen returned it not rare but raw. The waitress said she was sorry and would tell the manager, who never materialized at our table. The plate came out a third time, and it was closer to medium-rare, but everything else on the plate was cold. The flavors were good, but the kitchen staff couldn't get it right.I would recommend this to a friend.
- I'm Back!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/26/2014While I have eaten at Roasts on different occasions and enjoyed it since it opened, My previous experience was a disaster. I was forced to sit downstairs in a crowded dining room with overworked servers. The food was not up to par and was even served cold. I gave it one more try this time and will be back because the food was great and I got excellent service in a quiet room, Library, upstairs. I love your liver pate but recommend you serve small canapy style interesting breads with it rather than large pieces of toast. The wedge also needs work (check out Libbys Wedge>Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazingjoe941Dined on 7/25/2014Wow my server bartender was james he made the night!! Also Blanca the manager was so nice. Food was really really really good! A must try in Sarasota. But over all the staff made us feel special and that what seperates this restaurant from all the others. Just go and get ready for amazing food and even better service! Which is hard to imagine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/25/2014Meal could not have been better. Prime rib was perfectly cooked with sides complimentary to meat. Upstairs corner table perfect; waitress knowledgeable, attentive and pleasant. Dessert scrumptious. Good food, wine and special friends made it a lovely and fun evening.Special Features:
- Third Time Same as the Firstfalcon38Dined on 7/24/2014Third trip to ROAST produced the same ambiance and great food as the first two - extraordinary dining experience. Heading back again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My new Sarasota favoriteWallStreetLawyerVIPDined on 7/19/2014OK, this has not been a lucky location for previous restaurants; but I think we finally have a keeper! Excellent food, terrific service, nice atmosphere. Some worthwhile without breaking the bank wine choices too.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/17/2014Hi, We had a great dinner, everyone enjoyed their food. We had a very excellent waiter who was studying acting at Asolo and he enhanced the experience. I would definately go back again.Special Features:
- Jdh1Dined on 7/16/2014A great Restuarant! Good food, reasonable prices, nice ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great AmbienceTommyboyDined on 7/14/2014My wife and I were on a time frame and decided to stop at the Roast for an appetizer and drink. Great food and service.Special Features:
- will go againGene10Dined on 7/12/2014Pre-dinner drinks at bar - dismal, bar not spiffy, drinks overpriced, no cherries for manhattan - dinner downstairs - excellent - roast pork and duck confit were superb, as were appetizers - Server Erica was fast, efficient, charming and helpful - would visit again because of food quality. and Erica - Something needs to be done about upstairs bar area - woodwork is beautiful, but is in dire need of refinishing - bar not well stocked - mirrors need to be resilvered - lighting is terrible - could be a gem of a restaurant/bar with a little more cash investment -Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique menu and delicious foodFrequentDinerVIPDined on 7/12/20142nd time trying Roast. Enjoyed it both times but was a little more adventurous this time and it really paid off Would Not order the dry aged steak but everything else we had was terrificSpecial Features:
- valuePerrtDined on 7/12/2014Food and presentation were excellent. The prices were reasonable and I felt that the overall value exceeded expectations. it also was nice to see a wine list that included affordable bottles of wine both red and white.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Business dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/10/2014Great place to showcase the local sarasota dining scene. Try the deviled eggs for sure.Special Features:
- Good findMelbieDined on 7/6/2014We are an older couple who have dined at Roast twice. We were introduced by friends and then took a friend for dinner. The food is quite good and we especially enjoy the option of "small plates". The space is attractive. It is a bit noisy but not overly so. The service is friendly. The outdoor area is lovely, although because it is summer and quite warm now we have not yet dined al fresco here. We look forward to many more happy times at Roast.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- jinxed location?tiggerlillyVIPDined on 7/5/2014Restaurants in this location seem to have problems because we have been to at least 3 of them and this one is no exception. We ate on the patio on a Saturday night and had issues with both service and food. Please be aware that if you choose to eat outdoors here there are no fans and bugs can be an issue.
- Good DifferentTeriDined on 7/5/2014We started with appetizer and the calmari was very good. I really enjoyed the salmon dish as it had an Asian twist served with sticky rice...just yummy! The sweet touch was an almond crusted raspberry type of tart and was truly tasty!Special Features:
- ImpeccableMammaMiaVIPDined on 7/5/2014Top notch service, Ray was pleasant, knowledgable, and attentive. The roasted pig and the herbal crusted salmon were impeccable.The sides completed the meal. Over the 10 days of vacationing in Sarasota this was our best experience dinning out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very enjoyableOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/3/2014It was really a nice change to enjoy a roasted dinner. I had the special which was roasted chicken, sounds dull I know but it was awesome. My husband had the roasted scallops and bacon and they were very good as well. The cauliflower augratin that accompanied my meal was fabulous. Our waiter was very attentive and engaging. There was a large group that was in the restaurant, who were pretty loud but I think it would be fairly quite if it were not for them. I highly recommendSpecial Features:
- Mixed REviewDanTVIPDined on 6/29/2014The service was absolutely excellent. The food was wonderful and I would most definitely come back. During dinner however, there were flys all over our table landing on the food, the glasses, the drinks. Was very disappointing to have them ruin our experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Taste of Britain!NewintownDined on 6/28/2014Warm ambiance in a cozy dining room within a historic building - Excellent! Food shows a British touch - I believe the chef is out of London. We had the special - fabulous roast pork dinner with generous helpings of potato, roasted veg and a scrumptious mushroom side dish plus a lovely glass of Pinot Noir for $26! Savor Sarasota menu - a nice variety of 3 courses - still was available as well as exceptional choices on the evening menu. The lamb dish was cooked to perfection and the shared charcuterie appetizer showed the chefs repertoire of meats & terrines. Thoroughly enjoyable and we will return to try our next Roast meal in the lovely courtyard!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.