1296 1st Street
Sarasota, FL 34236Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.roastsarasota.com/
- Phone: (941) 953-1971
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch; Mon - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm-9.00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5.00pm-10.00pm
Closed Saturday and Sunday lunch for the summer thru August
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Andrew Thompson
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Entertainment: We offer a selection of live entertainment, throughout the year. In the courtyard live one and two piece musicians play light blues, jazz and other vocal and instrumental genres. In the upstairs lounge bar, single vocalists entertain with a selection of genres to suit all tastes.
- Cross Street: Pineapple Avenue
- Public Transit: Sarasota main bus terminal is a five minute walk from the restaurant.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Street parking is available as is valet, there is also a five story parking lot located at the back of the restaurant open seven days a week.
A word from Roast
Roast restaurant and bar is downtown Sarasota"s, newest destination restaurant, from chef owner Andrew Thompson. With multiple dining and drinking options, Roast offers something for everyone. Located in the heart of the performing arts district, guests can choose from a sumptuous and innovative 3 course meal in the transformed dining room, a casual cocktail upstairs with lite bites in the old world Floridian style lounge bar,, or a gathering of friends,libations and sharing platters in the gorgeous courtyard,adored with majestic palms and tropical plants. the courtyard features its own outside bar, fire pits and a purpose built rotisserie grill for weekend specials of whole roasted suckling pigs! We look forward to welcoming you to our exciting venue!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Roast - Best Restaurants in Sarasota ›
Roast reviews from OpenTable diners
118 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (74)great for outdoor dining (58)neighborhood gem (58)special occasion (49)romantic (42)good for groups (20)notable wine list (14)great for lunch (13)hot spot (13)scenic view (9)vibrant bar scene (6)late-night find (6)great for brunch (3)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Outstanding meal this week @ ROASTTrailerkingVIPDined on 11/24/2014Our third visit to this restaurant this year and each time it was excellent. Can't wait to go back. Service was also excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This has become our new favorite.EaterVIPDined on 11/23/2014The food was delicious and our ribeye steaks arrived just as we had ordered them. We shared the duck fat fries and creamed spinach.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LoriDined on 11/22/2014It's an ok place in a great location. Probably best for bar food and drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Almost perfectLoriDined on 11/21/2014My three friends and I enjoyed a lovely dinner on Saturday night. I had never eaten upstairs - what a charming space! Our waiter, Luis, was delightful and so enthusiastic about the grouper and roast chicken specials that two of us ordered them. The only small disappointment was the ceviche - it wasn't citrusy enough for my taste, and it was a bit chewy. But other than that, it was a wonderful meal and we'll definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/20/2014Excellent food, everything was very well prepared and eye appealing. Portions were very generous. Roasted beet salad was beautiful presentation and very good. All meats were cooked to perfection and waiter made sure everything was to our satisfaction. Atmosphere was very cozy, bordering on cramped. Tables were pretty close which contributed to slightly higher noise level. Service to our table was slow, while other tables were tuning over more quickly. Overall, enjoyed the experience and would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bravo Roast!Amykinker12Dined on 11/19/2014Out for an evening at the Van Wezel I made reservations for 6 through Open Table. A friendly call was made to confirm the reservation and our party's need to be at the event by 8p. From the moment we walked in we were greeted with friendly smiling faces and warmth. The six of us ordered everything from herb encrusted Salmon (perfectly prepared) to Lamb shank (beautiful) seared chicken (juicy and flavorful) and the arugula salad and beef sliders. All were presented nicely with great asparagus and fall veggies. Our server James and trainee Zac were helpful with menu overview and suggestions. The bartender was fun and interactive as well. I will go back and take others to try. It is a fine addition to the Sarasota culinary scene! Bravo!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/18/2014Extremely good service. We enjoyed the food. the sides were delicious and the chefs special was fantastic. We had the chicken breast. The welcome into the restaurant was friendly and the atmosphere was warm and vibrant. a great find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service fiascoBarbDined on 11/16/2014The special for the day was ordered and then it was not available! Customer was told when rest of table was served their entree was gone and this unfortunate individual was served an Entree chosen by the chef? We are not sure who took it upon themselves to make this choice, but, suffice it to say, it was unacceptable. Upon ordering another entree, we are told that is not available. Manager 's attitude defensive rather than conciliatory! Very unprofessional and no compensation offered!
- Terrific steakSteakDined on 11/15/2014Perfectly prepared steaks and other specialties. Limited but fully adequate wine list, with a few unexpected pleasures. Very limited choice of single malt Scotch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Time at RoastGodofredoVIPDined on 11/15/2014There had been several iterations in this iconic location, all of which failed. So it was gratifying to see the new version, under a new name and presumably under new management as well. The place was packed, yet we were shown to our reserved table without delay. Unfortunately, we were seated next to a table of people who tried to outdo each other with shrieks every so often that conversation became impossible. After they left, a more serene atmosphere was evident. The food was well prepared and served. We had steak tartare and buttersquash soup as appetizers, and roasted grouper and fish and chips for main courses. The desserts were fruit/chocolate based. This restaurant's version of these classic dishes was superb in all respects, and as a matter fact, the best in their categories in Sarasota. Prices were reasonable. We will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Each Experience Better than the FirstLillyqDined on 11/15/2014This was my 3rd visit to Roast and again I was thrilled with my meal and service. Everything was fresh, well presented and delicious. Roast is definitely one of my favorite Sarasota Restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique decor and great food.JoanneDined on 11/15/2014We enjoyed our first visit to Roast - food, wine and ambiance were wonderful. We were seated upstairs near the bar, so it was a bit loud for a romantic dinner. I require a gluten-free diet and there were plenty of options; however, our server did not specify the my order had to be gluten-free and my soup arrived with croutons. I quickly received a new bowl of soup sans croutons. We will definitely dine at Roast again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NancyDined on 11/13/2014Roast is located in a historic building that has a beautiful outdoor eating area as well as a charming in side. It is located near the Sarasota Opera House, and so was a great choice for dinner before the performance. My husband is gluten and dairy free. The staff was most helpful in helping him select items that would meet his dietary needs. He was able to select delicious food, and we both enjoyed every mouthful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and locationDelaneyKDined on 11/11/2014Food was excellent and the location is handy for anyone wanting a nice dinner before the opera which is located just around the corner. When one of our party wanted an ingredient left off her salad, we were informed that the chef doesn't allow any changes. Hmmmm.... Overall, it was a great dinner.Special Features:
- Great!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/8/2014It was our 1st time to Roast. We went there to celebrate our anniversary! The food was fab! Service was fantastic! I wish I would have listened to our server on his recommendation for a bottle of wine. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MartinDined on 11/8/2014While the food was very good,we were seated upstairs where it was particularly noisy,apparently because rain prevented outdoor seating
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/7/2014We were pleased with our dinner at Roast but were very disappointed that our reservation seemed to have disappeared. It was made on line and we'd had numerous confirmations along with a phone call on the day of our dinner confirming everything once again. Then, on arriving, there was no reservation but they did find us a good table. The food was very good, comfort food and the service was very attentive. We will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WowMarshaKVIPDined on 11/6/2014From soup to duck, from beet salad to the pot roast...., enjoyed every mouthful. The service was also excellent- low key and pleasant.The look is easy on the eye and quite eclectic . Will definetly schedule a return engagement. Thanks for a lovely evening .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A terrific eveningDinnerfor2Dined on 10/30/2014Roast is located in a beautiful building in downtown Sarasota. I believe it was once an antique store and still has its former elegance. It has a wonderful relaxing feel when you enter the inside with an old fashioned dark wood bar. There is a quaint outside dining area as well. The whole place seemed cozy and inviting. The food was very enjoyable and unique. The quality of service was absolutely outstanding. The servers were attentive without spoiling the conversation going on at the table. They knew their menu well and never was there any rush to be done. A very relaxing evening. The Pot Roast was recommended and turned out to be a great choice. The crusted salmon was outstanding as well. We plan to return for another great evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great menu, good foodClassicDinerDined on 10/26/2014With everything that is done right, one wonders why the background music is often not in the background and sometimes not even conducive music for the menu. Service and food preparation are reliably good. Still the same interesting menu, though it may be time to change it a bit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always excellent food.P424Dined on 10/21/2014The food, as always, was excellent on our recent visit. Service tho was was almost cloying. He didn't listen to us or give any indication that he wanted to do anything other than finish the sentences he started. Luckily the creative menu, lovely setting and outstanding food are what will bring us back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findJwhitcombDined on 10/17/2014Love love love. So happy we stumbled across this gemSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What?ReggieDined on 10/17/2014Waiter was very knowledgable about the menu. He was a bit over the top with compliments to the ladies, felt phoney. We are there for a good meal not to have our ego massaged. Also, don't care for the "Florida" water poured from Voss like bottles. Still tastes awful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Toast to RoastjoyfulVIPDined on 10/17/2014Four of us dined on a recent Friday evening in the beautifully lit outdoor garden at Roast. The service was friendly and professional. We sat, ate and chatted and were not rushed. Three of us had the grouper accompanied by fresh summer vegetables. We all enjoyed our choice. One party had the crusted salmon which was flaky and grilled perfectly. All in all a perfect evening.Special Features:
- pleasantly surprisedLovefinedineDined on 10/11/2014Went on a Saturday night and thought it was very nice. Our waiter Ray was very energetic and we ordered what he thought was great, the pot roast. Very good. Then we ordered the dessert he recommended and it was fantastic. We ate outside with no bugs. The music could have been better but not bad. We always ask the wait staff whats good at any restaurant, and usually order what they think. That was a good decision here. thanks RaySpecial Features:
- Worth another lookKaycDined on 10/11/2014We had a wonderful experience here this past weekend. Our first two trips to this restaurant after they had recently opened we found the food to be quite good but the service very sketchy. We decided to give it another try and were so glad we did. Our waiter, James, could not have been better - a foodie himself, his passion for both the food and the chef was infectious - and all proved to be spot on. We can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- srqdiningDined on 10/11/2014My wife enjoyed roast salmon, and wedge salad described as the best ever. I ordered the pot roast and it was very good. All items on the menu left me wanting to return to try them. I think the roast scallops will be my choice on next visit. Wonderful dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousLivetodineVIPDined on 10/10/2014It couldn't be better.....service was exceptional. Food was creative and there was something for everyone even the picky diners.Special Features:
- Great lunch experienceGillDined on 10/10/2014Very good food and selections. Waiter knowledgable and excellent serive.Special Features:
- Delightful al fresco diningSRQKraftiGalDined on 10/5/2014Roast has fabulous food and we enjoyed dining in their outdoor patio. Our complaint is that our waiter seemed to be having some problems remembering things and when we were ready to leave and wanted our bill, he was inside and my husband had to go in and find him - and this at a time when it was not busy. Additionally, we discovered later that not only did we pay for our dinner, but our friend who accompanied us was also charged and paid for our dinner. So, while I would go back for the food, I would definitely refuse to be served by that waiter. On the positive side, their toffee pudding dessert is a must try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not Impressedejd77VIPDined on 10/4/2014Reading the reviews I expected somewhat better service and food, definitely not so. A/C seemed to be on the fritz, hot, hot, hot (and not in a good way). Ok so maybe that's not their fault, but still....Received warm tap water, now normally I don't even like ice in my water but this was awful! Drinks were not very good, Cosmo tasted like unsweetened lemonade! All in all, not a great experience!Special Features:
- NemaDined on 10/4/2014I must say the service was very attentive and helpful. The mulligatawny soup was hearty. The pork sliders were very nice. The tandoori chicken was tender. A side of smashed potatoes was tasty and buttery. Roast is in a charming building with a history of good food on the site. The wines by the glass were pricey and we did not order any.Special Features:
- Excellent ChoiceHitchDined on 10/3/2014With so many fine restaurants in and around Sarasota, we are pleased to say this is one of them. The wonderful experience started with a call to confirm our reservation and noting that the outdoor seating we requested may be affected by mosquitoes over the last week... but they weren't in evidence when we arrived. The entire meal was excellent, the server was friendly and professional, and she was very patient with us--outstanding customer service! We dined on 10/3/14 and will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Roast is the Roast of sarasotadining4mypleasureDined on 10/1/20141st time .....Everything was excellent!!!! my only beef (no pun intended) When I booked the reservation thru Open Table, I stated it was my 23rd wedding anniversary, requested a window seat and had a show at 8pm (6pm reservation). When we arrived, we were sat in the corner, furthest from the window, no mention of the wedding anniversary and just barely got out to get to the show. Communication break down....food, service, location will make me come back again...YES I will recommend this placeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner at RoastPim50Dined on 9/25/2014My husband & I love to try new restaurants instead of always relying on our old standbys. Thought Roast would be something different, but it was a total disappointment. Food was mediocre at best. The server was the only nice thing about our Roast experience. Not returning.
- Lovely neighborhood restaurantrudytootieDined on 9/25/2014Roast is a perfect addition to the downtown restaurant scene. Food is excellent, you can get smaller portions, as we usually do, as well as a full meal. Service was very good. Fish and Chips best I have had since England! We like Roast because it is not too stuffy, wonderful choice on menu, and near all the theaters and opera house.Special Features:
- Hidden GemslbeeDined on 9/24/2014You MUST try this place. The food is always outstanding and there are many enticing options on the menu that it's so hard to choose! Great date night spot. Always great service.Special Features:
- Great Dining ExperienceChefADined on 9/24/2014From start to finish - from the confirmation phone call - friendly and accommodating staff- thoughtful food - craft cocktails and warm ambience - awesome dining experience and will be a regular stop when visitingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A tEat here!FLSunshineGirlDined on 9/21/2014The menu is interesting, with a few classics and wonderful new tastes and combinations. Lots of choices, and even a delicious group of small plates. The staff is excellent and well versed in menu items and preparation which helps guide you through some hard choices of what to order. Wines selection is good with a nice variety of wines available by the glass. They also have a price fix 3 course meal that varies from month to month. And the desserts are worth the trip. The second floor has a bar from the 1920’s, comfortable chairs and a great place to gather amid lovely wood and stained glass doors and panels. Convenient to the FL studio Theatre and the Opera House.Special Features:
- Slow ServicegeorgeVIPDined on 9/19/2014Although the food is good the service was quite slow and we have been to the restaurant several times. There was a good 20 to 25 minute delay between clearing our appetizer dishes and receiving our entrees. When the Opera season starts this will not be tolerable.