1296 1st Street
Sarasota, FL 34236Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.roastsarasota.com/
- Phone: 9419531971x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch; Mon - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm-9.00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5.00pm-10.00pm
Closed Saturday and Sunday lunch for the summer thru August
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Andrew Thompson
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Entertainment: We offer a selection of live entertainment, throughout the year. In the courtyard live one and two piece musicians play light blues, jazz and other vocal and instrumental genres. In the upstairs lounge bar, single vocalists entertain with a selection of genres to suit all tastes.
- Cross Street: Pineapple Avenue
- Public Transit: Sarasota main bus terminal is a five minute walk from the restaurant.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Street parking is available as is valet, there is also a five story parking lot located at the back of the restaurant open seven days a week.
A word from Roast
Roast restaurant and bar is downtown Sarasota"s, newest destination restaurant, from chef owner Andrew Thompson. With multiple dining and drinking options, Roast offers something for everyone. Located in the heart of the performing arts district, guests can choose from a sumptuous and innovative 3 course meal in the transformed dining room, a casual cocktail upstairs with lite bites in the old world Floridian style lounge bar,, or a gathering of friends,libations and sharing platters in the gorgeous courtyard,adored with majestic palms and tropical plants. the courtyard features its own outside bar, fire pits and a purpose built rotisserie grill for weekend specials of whole roasted suckling pigs! We look forward to welcoming you to our exciting venue!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Roast - Best Restaurants in Sarasota ›
Roast reviews from OpenTable diners
104 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (61)great for outdoor dining (55)neighborhood gem (53)special occasion (43)romantic (42)good for groups (17)notable wine list (10)hot spot (9)scenic view (8)great for lunch (7)great for brunch (5)vibrant bar scene (5)kid-friendly (3)late-night find (2)Show More
- Always excellent food.P424Dined on 10/21/2014The food, as always, was excellent on our recent visit. Service tho was was almost cloying. He didn't listen to us or give any indication that he wanted to do anything other than finish the sentences he started. Luckily the creative menu, lovely setting and outstanding food are what will bring us back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findJwhitcombDined on 10/17/2014Love love love. So happy we stumbled across this gemSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Embarassed to bring friends here.sportsmanDined on 10/17/2014The worst service that I have ever experienced .We needed to ask a bus person no less then 3 times for water. We ordered wine. After 45 minutes, we once again asked the waitress for it.You could tell right away that the bartender was going to show us and our rookie waitress who was the boss. She made a derogatory remark when a person in our party politely spoke out. An hour and a half into this debacle we got our salads.When we retold our dining experience to the manager, the bartender in the background was repeating defiantly "that's not true". Are you kidding me? The server wasn't ready to handle this job and no one helped her out. The order got messed up, service was beyond slow,and some of the meals were disappointing.
- What?ReggieDined on 10/17/2014Waiter was very knowledgable about the menu. He was a bit over the top with compliments to the ladies, felt phoney. We are there for a good meal not to have our ego massaged. Also, don't care for the "Florida" water poured from Voss like bottles. Still tastes awful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Toast to RoastjoyfulVIPDined on 10/17/2014Four of us dined on a recent Friday evening in the beautifully lit outdoor garden at Roast. The service was friendly and professional. We sat, ate and chatted and were not rushed. Three of us had the grouper accompanied by fresh summer vegetables. We all enjoyed our choice. One party had the crusted salmon which was flaky and grilled perfectly. All in all a perfect evening.Special Features:
- pleasantly surprisedLovefinedineDined on 10/11/2014Went on a Saturday night and thought it was very nice. Our waiter Ray was very energetic and we ordered what he thought was great, the pot roast. Very good. Then we ordered the dessert he recommended and it was fantastic. We ate outside with no bugs. The music could have been better but not bad. We always ask the wait staff whats good at any restaurant, and usually order what they think. That was a good decision here. thanks RaySpecial Features:
- Worth another lookKaycDined on 10/11/2014We had a wonderful experience here this past weekend. Our first two trips to this restaurant after they had recently opened we found the food to be quite good but the service very sketchy. We decided to give it another try and were so glad we did. Our waiter, James, could not have been better - a foodie himself, his passion for both the food and the chef was infectious - and all proved to be spot on. We can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- srqdiningDined on 10/11/2014My wife enjoyed roast salmon, and wedge salad described as the best ever. I ordered the pot roast and it was very good. All items on the menu left me wanting to return to try them. I think the roast scallops will be my choice on next visit. Wonderful dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousLivetodineVIPDined on 10/10/2014It couldn't be better.....service was exceptional. Food was creative and there was something for everyone even the picky diners.Special Features:
- Great lunch experienceGillDined on 10/10/2014Very good food and selections. Waiter knowledgable and excellent serive.Special Features:
- Delightful al fresco diningSRQKraftiGalDined on 10/5/2014Roast has fabulous food and we enjoyed dining in their outdoor patio. Our complaint is that our waiter seemed to be having some problems remembering things and when we were ready to leave and wanted our bill, he was inside and my husband had to go in and find him - and this at a time when it was not busy. Additionally, we discovered later that not only did we pay for our dinner, but our friend who accompanied us was also charged and paid for our dinner. So, while I would go back for the food, I would definitely refuse to be served by that waiter. On the positive side, their toffee pudding dessert is a must try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not Impressedejd77Dined on 10/4/2014Reading the reviews I expected somewhat better service and food, definitely not so. A/C seemed to be on the fritz, hot, hot, hot (and not in a good way). Ok so maybe that's not their fault, but still....Received warm tap water, now normally I don't even like ice in my water but this was awful! Drinks were not very good, Cosmo tasted like unsweetened lemonade! All in all, not a great experience!Special Features:
- NemaDined on 10/4/2014I must say the service was very attentive and helpful. The mulligatawny soup was hearty. The pork sliders were very nice. The tandoori chicken was tender. A side of smashed potatoes was tasty and buttery. Roast is in a charming building with a history of good food on the site. The wines by the glass were pricey and we did not order any.Special Features:
- Excellent ChoiceHitchDined on 10/3/2014With so many fine restaurants in and around Sarasota, we are pleased to say this is one of them. The wonderful experience started with a call to confirm our reservation and noting that the outdoor seating we requested may be affected by mosquitoes over the last week... but they weren't in evidence when we arrived. The entire meal was excellent, the server was friendly and professional, and she was very patient with us--outstanding customer service! We dined on 10/3/14 and will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Roast is the Roast of sarasotadining4mypleasureDined on 10/1/20141st time .....Everything was excellent!!!! my only beef (no pun intended) When I booked the reservation thru Open Table, I stated it was my 23rd wedding anniversary, requested a window seat and had a show at 8pm (6pm reservation). When we arrived, we were sat in the corner, furthest from the window, no mention of the wedding anniversary and just barely got out to get to the show. Communication break down....food, service, location will make me come back again...YES I will recommend this placeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner at RoastPim50Dined on 9/25/2014My husband & I love to try new restaurants instead of always relying on our old standbys. Thought Roast would be something different, but it was a total disappointment. Food was mediocre at best. The server was the only nice thing about our Roast experience. Not returning.
- Lovely neighborhood restaurantrudytootieDined on 9/25/2014Roast is a perfect addition to the downtown restaurant scene. Food is excellent, you can get smaller portions, as we usually do, as well as a full meal. Service was very good. Fish and Chips best I have had since England! We like Roast because it is not too stuffy, wonderful choice on menu, and near all the theaters and opera house.Special Features:
- Hidden GemslbeeDined on 9/24/2014You MUST try this place. The food is always outstanding and there are many enticing options on the menu that it's so hard to choose! Great date night spot. Always great service.Special Features:
- Great Dining ExperienceChefADined on 9/24/2014From start to finish - from the confirmation phone call - friendly and accommodating staff- thoughtful food - craft cocktails and warm ambience - awesome dining experience and will be a regular stop when visitingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A tEat here!FLSunshineGirlDined on 9/21/2014The menu is interesting, with a few classics and wonderful new tastes and combinations. Lots of choices, and even a delicious group of small plates. The staff is excellent and well versed in menu items and preparation which helps guide you through some hard choices of what to order. Wines selection is good with a nice variety of wines available by the glass. They also have a price fix 3 course meal that varies from month to month. And the desserts are worth the trip. The second floor has a bar from the 1920’s, comfortable chairs and a great place to gather amid lovely wood and stained glass doors and panels. Convenient to the FL studio Theatre and the Opera House.Special Features:
- Slow ServicegeorgeVIPDined on 9/19/2014Although the food is good the service was quite slow and we have been to the restaurant several times. There was a good 20 to 25 minute delay between clearing our appetizer dishes and receiving our entrees. When the Opera season starts this will not be tolerable.
- Great TimeMikeDined on 9/18/2014We wanted to try this place across the street from one of the well known places in town and we discovered a real gem. Service was great, food was great! We will be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not for HandicappedBcs443VIPDined on 9/13/2014I went to Roast on Saturday evening. I had reservations made on OpenTable. I just had my hip replaced a month ago and this was a venture out for dinner with my wife and friends. I went to the desk and informed the young lady that our party had arrived. She was very nice and told us to go upstairs to be seated. I asked if there was an elevator, she said no. I informed her that I just had my hip replaced and that I had not used stairs and was concerned about going up stairs so early in my recovery. She was jovial but insisted that our table was upstairs and there were no tables downstairs. Because I was with friends and did not want to ruin their evening, up the stairs I went. My evening was filled with pain as was the next day. No elevator??
- OutstandingBpaxton5Dined on 9/13/2014It was our first visit but definitely won't be our last. The service was impeccable and the food superb. My husband and I shared the liver pate with fig jam and greens...excellent! We both ordered the roasted salmon...the best we've ever had. The other couple with us were equally pleased. As the restaurant filled up, the noise level rose. Coming earlier will fix that problem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service and food were exceptionalhappypreoperadinerDined on 9/8/2014The filet mignon was perfectly prepared, but the most notable feature was the courtesy, friendliness and knowledge of the menu displayed by our server (Jordan was his name, I believe) and his trainee. Thank you for a fine dining experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!JudyVIPDined on 8/30/2014Our first visit to Roast won't be our last. Some restaurants seem to lose focus that the food is the most important thing. But Roast certainly hasn't done that. We had the roast scallops, which was an inventive dish and surprisingly, not too rich since it included thick but crispy cubes of bacon in a Bordeaux reduction. We also had the day's special grouper with an array of grilled vegetables, and also a side of garlicky green beans. Everything was simply delicious. Can't wait to come back with some friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TeriDined on 8/30/2014From the tasty Wedge Salad to the wonderful Pig Roast it was a delight!!! The crusted salmon was also flavorful and devine. Our overall service was helpful with sugggestion. Even that delicious Cosmo Martini just added to the evening enjoyment.Special Features:
- Great, will go againbelugaDined on 8/29/2014Food was excellent, service attentive and price, for the quality, was quite reasonable. Will definitely go there again.Special Features:
- Multitasking1SavvyDinerDined on 8/29/2014Our waiter was doing double service as the bartender which adversely affected service. To the four of us that was a no-no for any nice restaurant. The food was good and pricing was reasonable.Special Features:
- Amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/24/2014We had the quail, scallops, and Savor Sarasota - mussels, steak, salmon and calamari! It was my birthday and they gave me a glass of champagne! The waiter was amazing, great service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!FoodieDined on 8/23/2014The food and menu are both excellent! I highly recommend giving this place a try! The service is friendly and knowledgeable but slow. Be patient. It's worth the wait!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Roast RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014This was my first visit to Roast. I had wanted to sit in the courtyard but it was too hot so they seated us upstairs. (they did call me to notify me that we would be indoors). I was expecting to be downstairs but we had to climb a flight of stairs. I have bad knees so this was not a welcome surprise!The 3 of us chose the Roasted pork special that also included a glass of wine. The plate had a variety of vegetables along with thick slices of pork. An additional side dish of cauliflower aux gratin came with the entree as well. Everything was tasty but my pieces of pork included a great deal of fat.I would return to Roast because I saw several dishes on the menu that sounded delicious. The service was very good at first but declined later.Special Features:
- richardDined on 8/20/2014This was a great dining experience, and we will be back on many occasions.Special Features:
- A Night at RoastgailDined on 8/18/2014Weather permitting it has a lovely outdoor dining area. We were there on a Monday night in summer and the restaurant was not crowded so the noise level was minimum. The food was very good and all six were very satisfied with our selections. The service was excellent. The server explained the dishes very well and was quite efficient as well as gracious.Special Features:
- MartinDined on 8/17/2014While this was our first time at Roast we had been to this venue before when it was a different restaurant.We enjoyed our dining experience very much.Since it is so close to the Opera a House and theaters we expect to return oftenSpecial Features:
- Foodies - this one's for you!bonnemangerDined on 8/16/2014Our waitress was charming and highly knowledgable about the ingredients in each dish. The meal was superb. Between the four of us we ordered: Roast beet salad, goat curd, truffled honey; Arugula, avocado, queso fresca salad with cilantro and lime dressing; Neck of Lamb Tagine, with eggplant, couscous; Almond Crusted duck breast, confit leg hash, turnips, honey mustard jus; Roast grouper, sun choke puree, grilled artichokes, tomato. We shared the warm sticky toffee pudding with salted caramel ice cream - scrumptious! Excellent meal. Great ambience. This has now become our favorite restaurant. What a find!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood gemBlovenDined on 8/13/2014Great food and wonderful ambience. Looking forward to cooler weather and outdoor dining. Our waiter, Jordan, was excellent.Special Features:
- Everyone was blown away.greatDined on 8/13/2014I was scrambling to come up with a before theater restaurant... and I found Roast. All 6 of us had a great meal, super drinks (they made my cosmo RIGHT!) and an over-the-top dessert, recommended by our waitress, that we all shared. I got a "well done" from everyone.Special Features:
- Could be betterSarasotaDinerDined on 8/8/2014Very, very noisy. Service was poor. Three complete meals arrived, but our fourth guest got his meat without the side. Had to wait and wait. Our server was not attentive.
- Stick with the entreesfalcon38Dined on 8/8/2014Fourth trip to ROAST tempted us to try appetizers. Mussels were good but almost too spicy this visit although great in the past. Beef sliders were ordinary and on the dry side according to two diners. Grouper sliders got a mixed review. I loved mine, another in our party thought his were dry. One person had Savor Sarasota meal - steak - and was delighted. Wedge salad got rave reviews as did the artichoke ravioli. We could not figure out if the waiter was inebriated, but service was very good regardless. Drank great wine with our meals from limited, but superb selection.Special Features: