Roast - A Michael Symon Restaurant
1128 Washington Blvd
Detroit, MI 48226Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $30 and under
Roast - A Michael Symon Restaurant
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.roastdetroit.com/
- Phone: 313-961-2500x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner Service: Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Happy Hour: Monday - Friday: 4:00pm-6:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Brad Ball
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cocktails, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Roast offers two Private Dining Options: 1. VIP Dining Room 10 people 2. Stateroom Dining 16 people.
- Private Party Contact: Roastevents@symonlive.com x
A word from Roast - A Michael Symon Restaurant
Roast- A Michael Symon Restaurant is all things meat! Including wood fired Dry Aged Steaks, Rotisserie meats, Charcuterie and Heritage meats. Roast also offers fresh seafood. Totally American but with signature Mediterranean flavors and textures, Roast is an upscale flavor house that highlights Iron Chef Michael Symon's unique ability to blend old and new into cutting edge cuisine!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
Roast - A Michael Symon Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Detroit ›
Roast - A Michael Symon Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
265 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (200)fit for foodies (189)romantic (126)notable wine list (107)good for groups (70)hot spot (63)vibrant bar scene (58)neighborhood gem (39)late-night find (9)great for lunch (7)scenic view (6)kid-friendly (5)great for brunch (4)Show More
- Amazingly wonderfulKDtableof3Dined on 9/18/2014Had our anniversary dinner at Roast this year and it was fantastic. Food, the service, and ambiance were all above standard. Chef even made us two items not listed on the menu. Amazing time, will always recommend to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- first time won't be lastOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/18/2014This was my first time here and it was superb. Food was to die for. Not too salty but just perfect. I was craving the brussel sprouts later that night. We wanted dessert so bad but we were so full after we had no room. Next time we may go for just dessert, but I say that now.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food could have been betterOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/15/2014The chacouterie for apps were delicious. I recommend getting the Mac and cheese as a side. Had the steak, however asked for medium and got rare. I then asked for it to go back on the grill and it came back medium rare. I was disappointed with that!Special Features:
- A bucket list restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/15/2014We have wanted to eat at this restaurant since it was first opened. Finally, we celebrated our 35th Anniversary here with a special night out. From the moment we arrived we were very well taken care of. The hostess was very pleasant and friendly. The waitstaff was professional and well versed in the menu selections. The food was prepared and served perfectly. The wine list was wide ranging. And the Happy Anniversary, edible, medallion with a candle on the dessert was a much appreciated touch. This restaurant is a combination of style and class, but not presumptive. Servers showed this instantly in the fact that they wore white shirts with ties combined with blue jeans. And this attitude ran through the whole experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Detroit's Best By FardjeatsdetroitDined on 9/14/2014Usually, come a few times a year for special occasions, and have NEVER.ONCE.Been disappointed. Michelle,our server, made our anniversary especially memorable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RoastedOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/12/2014Good experience overall. Quality of food was as expected, service was a bit on the slow side considering they were not terribly busy.Special Features:
- Fabulous!CanafoodieDined on 9/12/2014We had a wonderful dinner at Roast. Our server made us feel comfortable and engaged in conversation with us. We tried several appetizers and each one was presented beautifully and the flavours were extraordinary. Each dish was treated a little differently from what we might have expected but that reflects Michael's approach to fine cuisine. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!!!RooneyDined on 9/12/2014This was my husbands and my first experience at Roast. We had heard great things about the restaurant from many friends. We were very impressed with the atmosphere and clean upscale decor. The food was amazing and the only complaint would be that our meals were not as hot as we'd like. Roast has an extensive beer and wine list and loved the vibe at the bar during happy hour. I would go back and recommend this establishment.Special Features:
- Best date night ever!DatenightdinersDined on 9/12/2014Be brave and try something new, we had the charcuterie and one of the selections was head cheese I was nervous but tried it anyways and omg sooo good! Also ask your server to select a drink to pair with your food I promise they will not disappoint, my husband only drinks beer and they selected one for appitizer and one for entree and he loved both, I like cocktails and wine and it was like the waiter knew exactly what I would like and started me with a signature cocktail that had fresh grapefruit juice and a nice rye a combo I wouldn't have tried and I loved it the he selected my wine for dinner and a dessert cocktail that had expresso in it and my husband and I both had 2 of those! What a great night I could have hung out for hours eating!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our AnniversarysteakloverzDined on 9/12/2014I was recommended Roast by a friend for my girlfriend and I to try out. We enjoyed everything and our server Bryan was very helpful and attentive. He had went over the menu fully and was very easy to talk to. I found myself enjoying a Flanders sour ale and ate every bite of my 16oz dry aged steak special. The only downfall was we were sat at the table right in front of the bar during happy hour. Other than that the food alone will bring us both back... Along with the great service -Justin & MeghanSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine DiningMSU2014Dined on 9/9/2014Excellent place for a nice evening of laughs and memory sharing. Food was great and the service was outstandingSpecial Features:
- very good, very loudscottVIPDined on 9/9/2014This was my fifth time here. The food is great, one caveat that Michelle our server was right about, they undercook, medium rare was blood rare, so be warned. Food was very good, only small down the bread, if anyone cares, was just bread. Only bad issue, is that it is very very loud. Lots of large tables and business people eating and drinking. we took our son for a pre college meal, and had a hard time conversing, not a place for romance or heavy talk. otherwise great.Special Features:
- great date placegreatdateDined on 9/8/2014Food excellent drinks awesome only issue steak was a little coldSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- audimacDined on 9/6/2014Our waiter branden was awesome he wished us happy happy anniversary right from the start i tried the bone marrow ( a first for me) loved it both of our filets were delish they melted in our mouths i had the crab bernaise omg omg could bottle that! would definatley come back and bring friends there was a funny moment when i was squeezing fresh lemon on my marrow it slipped from my hands and had a julia roberts moment when it went flying across the restauant one of brandens crew assured me it wasnt the only time it had happened! overall top score great time great food great serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!knr2013Dined on 9/6/2014My husband and I went for his birthday and had an absolutely fabulous meal. To start, we had the beef cheek perogies, which were outstanding. Our meals were also amazing. The pork shank was so tender it fell off the bone. My husbands steak had amazing flavor. Our server was so friendly and helpful with the menu. We absolutely loved him! All in all, this was a wonderful dining experience and we definitely plan on returning.Special Features:
- Our new favoriteAmyKDined on 9/5/2014Roast was highly recommended to us, so we decided to give it a try for our anniversary. Absolutely the best in the D. We will definitely return for the happy hour specials and special-occasion dinners.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We will be back.bikebeersnburgersDined on 9/4/2014Another fantastic diner service. My list of people to split the Porterhouse for 2 is growing out of control...again, a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good, but down a notchnolimitsskierVIPDined on 9/3/2014We've been dining at Roast since it opened. While it's still a strong restaurant in the greater Detroit area, as new excellent restaurants enter the market, Roast is dropping a notch or two. The food is good; not great: the room is fine; not state of the art: the service is acceptable; not exceptional. I'll keep coming back because it's steady and very good, but unlike 5 years ago, there are several better options in Detroit these days.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedfoodyDined on 8/31/2014The inside of the marrow was cold and uncooked (pink). The beast of the day was dry and the vegetables were tasteless. The fillets mignon was room temperature. The porterhouse was dry and coveted with an average Verde sauce. Fries were soggy, Brussel sprouts were burned and had too much vinegar, spinach gratin was soupy, and the chicken wings had a thick gready skin that was not crisped. We used to love this place but were extremely disappointed with the food this time. The reputation of a restaurant is dependent upon quality and consistancy. Roast did not live up to its reputation this time. I was planning to hold an event there but I I decided not to after my most recent experience.
- Can't go wrong with MichaelFoziVIPDined on 8/31/2014Been to Roast twice and Lola in Cleveland multiple times. If Michael Symon owns the place prepare yourself for outstanding!Special Features:
- Great DinnerAnonymousDined on 8/30/2014Making reservations were super easy, no issues finding the restaurant, food and service were great!Special Features:
- good food, okay serviceSam23Dined on 8/30/2014Four of us ate at Roast to celebrate an anniversary. I think we all felt our food was quite good but not necessarily remarkable. Our service was a little odd. Our waitress took our drink orders but left our menus(which are large and bulky) on our table to maneuver around. Eventually she came and took our orders but as soon as we ordered appetizers she disappeared before we could give her our complete order, again, leaving us to deal with the bulky menus on the table. Eventually, we called her over to the table and asked if we could complete our orders and if she would take the menus away. It just wasn't the level of service that one expects from a restaurant like Roast.Special Features:
- Brussels Sprouts!!!IreneVIPDined on 8/29/2014Went for our anniversary. Warm & friendly greeting from hostess. Loved the semi-secluded booth we got. Our server was wonderful. Got the marrow appetizer & it was just okay. brussels Sprouts were delicious. New York Strip was a little tough in about 40% of the meat. Ribeye was excellent and very tender. Bar menu was great. We shared "the bar" for dessert and both loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expensive but not stuffyJaydean12Dined on 8/26/2014I really like this place because it is upscale but people can be loud and have fun here too. The food was amazing. It's expensive but worth it for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as usualBassmanDined on 8/26/2014Had dinner with a business associate this week. The bean salad was outstanding as was the ribeye. My guest had the pork shank and was blown away by it. This place is always a sure hit when I ever I visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and atmosphereMotorfoodieVIPDined on 8/26/2014Everything I ordered from appetizers to the dessert was fantastic. Michael Symon does it again!Special Features:
- Gem in DetroitR2fromDCDined on 8/25/2014If you're in Detroit, you must visit Roast in the Westin Hotel. There is a limited choice for foodies in Detroit so it was wonderful to find this gem of a restaurant. Atmosphere is terrific. Inspired menu and great service. The heirloom tomato and Feta puree appetizer was fabulous! We were there on a Monday evening and the place was hopping -- good sign of a good restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/25/2014Usually, we have to satisfy our "foodie" side when going to vegas... Nice to have such a place right here in Detroit! Food was excellent... the staff was awesome. Great place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Falls short of expectationsLove4foodDined on 8/24/2014Little disappointed because the first meal I ordered was not enjoyable (bland and had very little meat) so I asked the server if she could change it. I then ordered swordfish which came out half cooked. They took it back and made a new one which was prepared well and quite delicious. My husband ordered the Roast Beast (it was goat that day) which was a traditional preparation. Prepared well but nothing exciting about it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful time. . .Dlh48085Dined on 8/24/2014Staff were welcoming and accommodating of the three very senior citizens we brought in our party. The table was a bit large for the five of us and it made conversation difficult since the room was bustling a bit. Food was amazing, as always. My parents (both immigrants from Poland) rated the pierogies "better than the traditional ones we normally get." So, Mr. Symon: Not Bad for a 1/2 Greek, 1/2 Italian! You knocked a Polish specialty out of the park! Well done!Special Features:
- Girls' Night OutkdubDined on 8/23/2014Enjoyed ourselves at a round table with lots of energy and fun. The food took a long time to arrive, and the waitress misguided us when deeming the branzino had 'just a few bones' but otherwise the food and ambience were great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friday evening table for 7suz4848Dined on 8/22/2014Excellent meal, service was impeccable...again, a lovely experience at RoastSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lack luster menuOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/22/2014Coming from California expectations for an interesting menu were high. They failed. Barely could choose something I would eat. And the waiter was horrible
- Iron Chef qualityOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/21/2014My third time dining at the Roast and on each visit the food and service get even better. The offerings are definitely fit for a foodie. We selected an excellent Columbia Valley Merlot to accompany an "artisan cheese plate" containing a blue cheese, pear and pecans. The wine was decanted at the table and our glasses replenished by Kim, our attentive server. We ordered steak tartar, strongly recommended by Kim and it was as good as I have eaten anywhere. Beginning to feel full and satiated, we decided to skip the entrée offerings and continue with small plates. The sides including spinach with feta, polenta and rosemary fries were full of wonderful flavors. Don't skip dessert at the Roast; I recommend the "bar". I must return soon.Special Features:
- ChilliewillieDined on 8/20/2014Three people in our party ordered steaks and indicated that they were one of the BEST steaks they have ever had. There was not a thing we ordered that was disappointing. Would definately dine here again. Our waitstaff was excellent and very knowledgable about the menu and never hesitated to answer our questions. Thanks AmySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!InLove7414Dined on 8/18/2014I took the boyfriend here for his birthday and it was the icing on the cake to the already outstanding evening we had. The waiter, Brandon, was wonderful. The food was great. I had the chicken and the Mr had spaghetti with mussels... Mussels freak me out, however, I did try one and it was actually really good. I had tried them before at other restaurants but they were always super gross. Good job Roast! We will definitely be back to celebrate more events or just hang out at the bar for a bit after work or before a game or a concert. Great spot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LerbieDined on 8/17/2014We loved our server, Amy. She was attentive and made good recommendations! Loved the chopped salad,sprouts, rosemary fries, polenta, smoked pork chop, and steak but please, there is far too much salt on everything! We were drinking water like crazy after eating that evening and our feet swelled like balloons the next day. Pork is naturally salty, but everything else is not. Cut the salt in half and it will still taste good. People can add their own at the table. You are killing us with sodium! Aside from that, everything was well presented and our service was very good. Mr. Symon, please tell your chefs to lay off the salt shaker!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/17/2014A carnivore's delight. Menu contains a nice variety, the food was prepared and presented perfectly. The service was fantastic.Special Features:
- Top Notch!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014The food was not anything that I had ever had before. It was interestingly different. A foodies dream. The ambience and service was excellent. Perfect for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional experienceLindasthoughtsDined on 8/10/2014We went for a quiet elegant birthday celebration. Everything from beginning to end was fantastic. I highly recommend Roast for any occasion. You must try the bone marrow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.