Roast - A Michael Symon Restaurant
1128 Washington Blvd
Detroit, MI 48226Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $30 and under
Roast - A Michael Symon Restaurant
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.roastdetroit.com/
- Phone: 3139612500
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner Service: Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Happy Hour: Monday - Friday: 4:00pm-6:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Brad Ball
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cocktails, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Roast offers two Private Dining Options: 1. VIP Dining Room 10 people 2. Stateroom Dining 16 people.
- Private Party Contact: Roastevents@symonlive.com x
A word from Roast - A Michael Symon Restaurant
Roast- A Michael Symon Restaurant is all things meat! Including wood fired Dry Aged Steaks, Rotisserie meats, Charcuterie and Heritage meats. Roast also offers fresh seafood. Totally American but with signature Mediterranean flavors and textures, Roast is an upscale flavor house that highlights Iron Chef Michael Symon's unique ability to blend old and new into cutting edge cuisine!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
Roast - A Michael Symon Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Detroit ›
Roast - A Michael Symon Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
301 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (225)fit for foodies (215)romantic (137)notable wine list (116)good for groups (77)hot spot (74)vibrant bar scene (64)neighborhood gem (47)late-night find (10)scenic view (7)great for lunch (6)kid-friendly (5)great for brunch (3)Show More
- Birthday to remember...OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/29/2014I have wanted to eat here for awhile but never managed to find the occasion. Reservations were made for my birthday and I was ecstatic. The service, food, and overall experience were wonderful. It was personal and authentic and the food was above and beyond expectations. I no longer need a special occasion to go here. I will visit when I'm hungry!Special Features:
- First visit to Michael's placeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/28/2014First off the service was excellent and the food arrived timely and hot. We had the bravette sirloin and sea bass (out of scallops :( ), both excellent. The roasted root vegetables were wonderful, as were the beef cheek pierogies. I read great reviews on the brussels sprouts but ours were floating in vinegar and the walnuts were non existent, needless to say a disappointment. That said, the coffee and pumpkin ice cream to finish off our meal were top notch. Loved those pickled onions!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food!foodnetworkjunkyDined on 9/26/2014Came for the first time during restaurant week in Detroit and had high expectations on the food and service from all we had heard. Our server was very nice, but was not quite up to par with the service we were seeing other diners receive that were nearby. Server handed our menus asked if it was our first time and handed us an ipad with the win/beer list to browse. She did not explain the menu, the specials or the restaurant week special dishes. Super expedient as far as the food got it extremely fast and the runner bringing the apps explained what we were eating which was nice. Everything we ate was absolutely fantastic! NO complaints on the food....at all. Would definitely come back but hopefully get a different server.Special Features:
- Good dead cow and piggyjsbach417Dined on 9/25/2014Good dead cow and piggy. Well trained bartender. Extra characters.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Night Out1LuckyDuckDined on 9/25/2014We took advantage of Resturant Week and chose the Roast...so glad we did. Celebrating contunued recovery from Open Heart Surgery 5 weeks age... the whole experience was just what the "doctor" ordered. Our server was excellent, knowledgeable and very accomediateing. Gluten Allergy, no problem..she made sure what I ordered was gluten free. Loved the Pumpkin Ice Cream! The Filet was surpurb...Roasted Root Veggies and Creamed Spinach, YUMSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Flavor explosionFoodieFun319Dined on 9/24/2014Never disappointed with this restaurant. Every item was an explosion of flavor, the right size and left me with such a great experience. Everyone should try the bone marrow appetizer. It is decadent. The wait staff is always top notch. My brother was ecstatic about the wine choices. He found a wine that he loves from Portugal and hadn't had since he retired from the Air Force. The pumpkin ice cream for dessert was heavenly and was a great finish to steak and pork entrees. The porcini mushroom soup was perfectly made and so very flavorful. I would recommend this restaurant to everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Roast Never Disappoints Do Not MissDiner1Dined on 9/22/2014Our group of 8 went to Roast for Restaurant Week and had a GREAT meal. Several of the group started out with the Charcuterie Plate and thought it was the best they had ever had. Others had the mushroom soup; the perfect choice for a fall dinner and and salad which was fresh and delicious. Entree choices were a sliced sirloin steak topped with roasted red pepper strips and pickled onions and blu cheese. Wow! this was a real winner; excellent flavors and the steak don to order. The vegetarian had the red wine risotto with fall vegetables. This dish did not present well;looked very unappetizing, but the flavors were "right on" and the dish was delicious. Scallops were seared perfectly; moist and tender! Dessert Yum. Was a bit noisy.Special Features:
- Restaurant WeekFirstTimerDined on 9/22/2014Had a great experience at Roast during Detroit Restaurant Week. We were under dressed but never made to feel uncomfortable because of it. The service was great and the Bavette topped with blue cheese was out of this world. Amy, our server, was very kind, patient, and informative.Special Features:
- Worth the trip!Coolhand37Dined on 9/22/2014We drove from Indianapolis eat at a Chef Symon restaurant. We expected the food to be great, and it was. We were blown away by the service. Brian did an amazing job of giving menu highlights and wine recommendations. The night was memorable for a lot of reasons and was just a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just right portion sizesuzofgpDined on 9/22/2014This was the first time we sat in the dining area of Roast, instead of going tot he bar. It was during Restaurant week, and there were enough choices on the menu. All of the items we selected were delicious, and the portions were just the right size. There was one wine recommendation for the main course, and happily it did work for both the seafood and beef entrees.Special Features:
- rCapDined on 9/22/2014The timing between the salads & main course was 45+ minutes. That’s on the long side but the most disappointing aspect was I had to ask the waiter about the long delay, the food arrived promptly thereafter “lukewarm” Very disappointed considering the cost & our party of 6 was sparing no expense on food & drink!!
- Outstanding!DisappointedDined on 9/22/2014If the point of Detroit Restaurant Week is to introduce your establishment to a new audience, it was a complete success. Roast put its best foot forward and impressed me and my dinner companion. Both of us will be returning. The staff was knowledgeable, the food and wine excellent, and the spiced pumpkin ice cream dessert was a real treat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I am a Roast repeat offender!downrivergirlDined on 9/21/2014The best in Detroit. Great craft cocktails, diverse wine list, delicious entrees served ala carte. Sides are for sharing so order a few.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't think twiceFoziVIPDined on 9/21/2014Looking for outstanding food in Detroit? Not everyday you can eat in a Iron Chefs restaurant . Look no further....you won't regret it.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/21/2014we had a wonderful visit. we were blown away by the quality of the food we were served. truly wonderful!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Detroit Meat Lovers GemFineDiningFanDined on 9/20/2014My partner and I have been to Roast on several occasions, and have never been disappointed. Out most recent visit was during Detroit Restaurant Week, and we both ordered the hanger steak (sirloin) off the Restaurant Week Menu. It was superb - done to perfection. The blue cheese sauce that accompanied the steak was fabulous! I guess our only complaint was the valet parking outside the restaurant - it was very disorganized (I think there were two events going on at the hotel in addition to it being Restaurant Week). We ended up paying $10 to park in a deck across the street, since we didn't feel like waiting (what looked like) a half-hour to have the car valet parked.Special Features:
- Would go againKMH1Dined on 9/20/2014Our dinner at Roast was wonderful. We started with the lamb appetizer which was delicious and so tender it fell off the bone. I had a filet which literally melted in my mouth. Service was friendly and attentive, but not so attentive you felt your meal was being rushed.Special Features:
- Delicious meat!AllieDined on 9/20/2014We went for Detroit Restaurant Week. I had the roast beast of the day, a rotisserie pork, which was awesome. I loved that the pig was roasting on a spit that you could see (and smell!) from the dining room. It came with two sides: black-eyed peas, which seemed undercooked and unseasoned, and collard greens, which had a nice flavor and were cooked well. However, we also ordered the brussels sprouts and the spinach au gratin as a table. The table enjoyed the spinach, but I thought it lacked interest (yes, spinach in a pile of baked cheese tastes good, but it's nothing special). The Brussels sprouts were great. My husband had the bavette and loved it. You go for the meat, of course, but the sides should be just as good for the price.Special Features:
- Restaurant Week GemcbinthedDined on 9/20/2014Great meal and service, 2 of us had the pork, 1 had the bravette sirloin, and the scallops. All were great. Highly recommend getting some of the 'sides' as well. Feta and Spinach au gratin was great and the brussel sprouts were unbelievable (and I normally don't like them). Well worth a visit.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014The food was fabulous !!! We went during Detroit restaurant week and we were so glad we did.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014The restaurant was very lovely. Our waiter was friendly, pleasant and very helpful with questions we asked about the menu. I do not live in Detroit, but my aunt and uncle do. The wre very impressed with Roast and plan to return again. The food was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingSNM311Dined on 9/19/2014After reading about Roast, we were expecting a top-notch dinner, but the service and food were mediocre. The side dishes were inventive and delicious, but the entrees were bland and arrived at the table lukewarm.
- Amazingly wonderfulKDtableof3Dined on 9/18/2014Had our anniversary dinner at Roast this year and it was fantastic. Food, the service, and ambiance were all above standard. Chef even made us two items not listed on the menu. Amazing time, will always recommend to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- first time won't be lastLickPlateCleanDined on 9/18/2014This was my first time here and it was superb. Food was to die for. Not too salty but just perfect. I was craving the brussel sprouts later that night. We wanted dessert so bad but we were so full after we had no room. Next time we may go for just dessert, but I say that now.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food could have been betterFoodieDined on 9/15/2014The chacouterie for apps were delicious. I recommend getting the Mac and cheese as a side. Had the steak, however asked for medium and got rare. I then asked for it to go back on the grill and it came back medium rare. I was disappointed with that!Special Features:
- A bucket list restaurantMiPeteCDined on 9/15/2014We have wanted to eat at this restaurant since it was first opened. Finally, we celebrated our 35th Anniversary here with a special night out. From the moment we arrived we were very well taken care of. The hostess was very pleasant and friendly. The waitstaff was professional and well versed in the menu selections. The food was prepared and served perfectly. The wine list was wide ranging. And the Happy Anniversary, edible, medallion with a candle on the dessert was a much appreciated touch. This restaurant is a combination of style and class, but not presumptive. Servers showed this instantly in the fact that they wore white shirts with ties combined with blue jeans. And this attitude ran through the whole experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Detroit's Best By FardjeatsdetroitDined on 9/14/2014Usually, come a few times a year for special occasions, and have NEVER.ONCE.Been disappointed. Michelle,our server, made our anniversary especially memorable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RoastedOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/12/2014Good experience overall. Quality of food was as expected, service was a bit on the slow side considering they were not terribly busy.Special Features:
- Fabulous!CanafoodieDined on 9/12/2014We had a wonderful dinner at Roast. Our server made us feel comfortable and engaged in conversation with us. We tried several appetizers and each one was presented beautifully and the flavours were extraordinary. Each dish was treated a little differently from what we might have expected but that reflects Michael's approach to fine cuisine. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!!!RooneyDined on 9/12/2014This was my husbands and my first experience at Roast. We had heard great things about the restaurant from many friends. We were very impressed with the atmosphere and clean upscale decor. The food was amazing and the only complaint would be that our meals were not as hot as we'd like. Roast has an extensive beer and wine list and loved the vibe at the bar during happy hour. I would go back and recommend this establishment.Special Features:
- Best date night ever!DatenightdinersDined on 9/12/2014Be brave and try something new, we had the charcuterie and one of the selections was head cheese I was nervous but tried it anyways and omg sooo good! Also ask your server to select a drink to pair with your food I promise they will not disappoint, my husband only drinks beer and they selected one for appitizer and one for entree and he loved both, I like cocktails and wine and it was like the waiter knew exactly what I would like and started me with a signature cocktail that had fresh grapefruit juice and a nice rye a combo I wouldn't have tried and I loved it the he selected my wine for dinner and a dessert cocktail that had expresso in it and my husband and I both had 2 of those! What a great night I could have hung out for hours eating!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our AnniversarysteakloverzDined on 9/12/2014I was recommended Roast by a friend for my girlfriend and I to try out. We enjoyed everything and our server Bryan was very helpful and attentive. He had went over the menu fully and was very easy to talk to. I found myself enjoying a Flanders sour ale and ate every bite of my 16oz dry aged steak special. The only downfall was we were sat at the table right in front of the bar during happy hour. Other than that the food alone will bring us both back... Along with the great service -Justin & MeghanSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine DiningMSU2014Dined on 9/9/2014Excellent place for a nice evening of laughs and memory sharing. Food was great and the service was outstandingSpecial Features:
- very good, very loudscottVIPDined on 9/9/2014This was my fifth time here. The food is great, one caveat that Michelle our server was right about, they undercook, medium rare was blood rare, so be warned. Food was very good, only small down the bread, if anyone cares, was just bread. Only bad issue, is that it is very very loud. Lots of large tables and business people eating and drinking. we took our son for a pre college meal, and had a hard time conversing, not a place for romance or heavy talk. otherwise great.Special Features:
- great date placegreatdateDined on 9/8/2014Food excellent drinks awesome only issue steak was a little coldSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- audimacDined on 9/6/2014Our waiter branden was awesome he wished us happy happy anniversary right from the start i tried the bone marrow ( a first for me) loved it both of our filets were delish they melted in our mouths i had the crab bernaise omg omg could bottle that! would definatley come back and bring friends there was a funny moment when i was squeezing fresh lemon on my marrow it slipped from my hands and had a julia roberts moment when it went flying across the restauant one of brandens crew assured me it wasnt the only time it had happened! overall top score great time great food great serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!knr2013Dined on 9/6/2014My husband and I went for his birthday and had an absolutely fabulous meal. To start, we had the beef cheek perogies, which were outstanding. Our meals were also amazing. The pork shank was so tender it fell off the bone. My husbands steak had amazing flavor. Our server was so friendly and helpful with the menu. We absolutely loved him! All in all, this was a wonderful dining experience and we definitely plan on returning.Special Features:
- Our new favoriteAmyKDined on 9/5/2014Roast was highly recommended to us, so we decided to give it a try for our anniversary. Absolutely the best in the D. We will definitely return for the happy hour specials and special-occasion dinners.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We will be back.bikebeersnburgersDined on 9/4/2014Another fantastic diner service. My list of people to split the Porterhouse for 2 is growing out of control...again, a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good, but down a notchnolimitsskierVIPDined on 9/3/2014We've been dining at Roast since it opened. While it's still a strong restaurant in the greater Detroit area, as new excellent restaurants enter the market, Roast is dropping a notch or two. The food is good; not great: the room is fine; not state of the art: the service is acceptable; not exceptional. I'll keep coming back because it's steady and very good, but unlike 5 years ago, there are several better options in Detroit these days.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.