Roast - A Michael Symon Restaurant
1128 Washington Blvd
Detroit, MI 48226Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $30 and under
Roast - A Michael Symon Restaurant
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.roastdetroit.com/
- Phone: 3139612500
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner Service: Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Happy Hour: Monday - Friday: 4:00pm-6:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Brad Ball
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cocktails, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Roast offers two Private Dining Options: 1. VIP Dining Room 10 people 2. Stateroom Dining 16 people.
- Private Party Contact: Roastevents@symonlive.com x
A word from Roast - A Michael Symon Restaurant
Roast- A Michael Symon Restaurant is all things meat! Including wood fired Dry Aged Steaks, Rotisserie meats, Charcuterie and Heritage meats. Roast also offers fresh seafood. Totally American but with signature Mediterranean flavors and textures, Roast is an upscale flavor house that highlights Iron Chef Michael Symon's unique ability to blend old and new into cutting edge cuisine!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Roast - A Michael Symon Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Detroit ›
Roast - A Michael Symon Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
304 reviews since July 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (213)fit for foodies (212)romantic (139)notable wine list (113)hot spot (81)good for groups (77)vibrant bar scene (69)neighborhood gem (46)late-night find (18)scenic view (8)great for lunch (4)great for brunch (2)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- The menu was extremely limitedunhappyDined on 10/25/2014I expected a much larger menu! Very disappointed in my experience.
- Nice 20th Anniversary DinnerRichDined on 10/24/2014Can be romantic, if you are luck to get on of the few booths just behind the wine cellar and bar, which I had requested. We were first taken to a table in the middle of the room, but after mentioning my request and reservation way in advance, and which I had confirmed on the phone the day before, they were able to seat us at the requested booth. Our server was very good and friendly and the food was excellentSpecial Features:
- Great meal, great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/24/2014Staying at the Westin for our 25th anniversary, made reservations at Roast. Everything was great. My wife had the Marrow appetizer, I had the Crispy Pork Belly, then we shared the ribeye for two and some deserts. Service was great, food was awesome, exactly what we were looking for. Not cheap, but comparable to other restaurants with this level of serviceff and food. We wll definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our second visit did not disappointOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/24/2014Robert, our server was amazing. Knowledgeable of the menu, the wine list and also knew lots about the city as we were asking him questions about things happening. The food was great, but our experience was memorable due to his great service. A true professional. Sweetbreads were great, the Brussels Sprouts were sinful(haha!) and everything was enjoyable. The grouper we had the time before was better than the Ocean Trout, but nonetheless a great dish. Thank you Roast for hosting us again, and thank you Robert for making it such a wonderful experience.Special Features:
- Exactly what we expectedGandBDined on 10/24/2014We decided to try out Roast for our Anniversary dinner - we are glad we did. We had reservations for an early dinner and we got there a few minutes before and checked out the area and hotel that is connected. Everything was very clean and top notch. We were seated immediately and our server was extremely knowledgeable, polite and helpful. Food was very, very good. I'm not a fan of Brussels Sprouts but everyone we talked to said we should try them - so glad we did, they were delicious. Our steaks were cooked perfectly and all the sides we had were very tasty. Our dessert (The Bar) was fantastic. If you like chocolate, this will hit the spot. All in all a wonderful memorable dinner.Special Features:
- LoverOfFineFoodDined on 10/23/2014We were pleasantly surprised, the staff was happy, and professional. The ambiance was fun, and elegant, the food absolutely amazing. I had the Filet mignon crab bearnaise, my husband had the duck confit. The wine was a spanish malbec simple delightful. Dessert mango lime sorbet made with real fruit. Highly recommend this restaurant.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous ExperienceccecchiniDined on 10/21/2014Brussel sprouts and lamb sweetbreads were absolutely phenomenal. Wasn't a huge fan of the pork dish which was the chef's special. The duck confit was also very tasty. Ambiance and service was amazing!!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food - good and quicklotsofmeatDined on 10/21/2014Our server was attentive to our needs, she was friendly and informative. Our food came out quickly and was prepared properly. The restaurant was very clean, loved the décor. There was a lot of space between tables so I didn't feel crowded. I don't drink but I did like the ipad with wine / drink selections. It was a little dark, I do like a little more light so I can see the menu and chilly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic MealparisiensVIPDined on 10/19/2014We were a party of 4. Three of us had the filet mignon which melted in your mouth. The sides are served family style. Our Server was knowledgeable and very helpful with our wine and food choices.Special Features:
- Great AtmosphereFoodloverDined on 10/19/2014We loved the decor in the restaurant and our server was very personable and attentive. The food was good, but nothing exceptional. However, we did take previous diners' reviews into account and ordered the brussels sprouts which were outstanding.Special Features:
- Yet another great mealnumbersguy75Dined on 10/19/2014Hit up Roast for a dinner before going to a show at the Fillmore. We were greeted and seated quickly, but not warmly. We were taken to a nice booth by a window and faced the bar. Ordered mojitos and they were perfect. Appetizer: ordered the pig tails (daily special). They were quite tasty, but fatty...wife couldn't eat them. Wish we had the pork belly app instead. Entre: I had the NY Strip and my wife had the scallops. The NY was presented very well and cooked perfectly. She wanted something a little lighter and was very happy with the scallops. Sides: brussel sprouts truly are very good (not generally my favorite) and the fries were tasty too. Service: good and very friendly but could've spaced things out better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DissapointingKrislovetoeatDined on 10/18/2014Overly salty, cold and small serving. The food was disappointing. Special request for a specific desert was a no the day of reservation.
- Happy, happy tastebuds!ChefNikkiDined on 10/18/2014My husband and went to Roast for our 5 year wedding anniversary. We were immediately sat (we were 30 minutes early for our reservation) and given a private booth. Our water glasses were never more than half empty, our server was attentive and we never felt rushed. We went all out and ordered: Crudo, Root Vegetable Salad, Bavette Sirloin (I asked for medium rare, and it was more on the rare side, but still amazing!), Dry Aged Ribeye (perfectly seared to medium - husband said it was the best steak he's ever had!), Rosemary Fries, Braised Greens, Brussels Sprouts and Walnuts (I could have just eaten this and been happy!), Mango Sorbet, and The Bar dessert. We had no alcohol, and it was still was expensive, but totally worth the splurge!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing foodSpahrkleDined on 10/18/2014I think Michael Symon is great and I wanted to try this place for a long time. The food was a disappointment. Our waiter was attentive, but the service was really, really slow. We went early so it wasn't too crowded either. It's too expensive for mediocre food. We won't be back and we won't recommend it either.
- Terrific experienceGregDined on 10/17/2014Everything was really good. I'd like to be able to go with 4 1/2 stars. Service was quite good, though, the waitress was occasionally slightly awkward (one of those things where the conversation seemed to linger 5 seconds too long), but nothing bad. Filet mignon was the most tender I've had. The waitress said the Brussels sprouts would be life-changing. I'm not sure I'd go that far, however, they were outstanding. Nice place instead. Comfortable atmosphere. We would go back if we get the chance.Special Features:
- Not up to ParOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/16/2014I have dined at Micheal Symon's other restaurant, Lola, and thought it was fantastic. Although the food was good at Roast, the polenta was very lumpy and not up to what I would expect. The asian mushroom soup had no mushrooms in it. Overall, it was OK.Special Features:
- AwesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/11/2014Love going to Roast each and every time we visit Detroit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A toast to RoastratlasVIPDined on 10/9/2014while visiting Detroit on business I was recommended to meet some friends at Roast. It was a very delicious meal, and we had the roast pig (pork), scallops, Washington state oysters, and a filet. All were prepared wonderfully.Special Features:
- SkierDined on 10/9/2014This was my first visit to Roast after many great reviews from friends. I was not that impressed. There was great service but all 4 members of our party were not particularly impressed with the food. It was not bad mind you but I guess I had built up expectations beyond what I received. The wine list was extensive and very good but I think it was overpriced as was the food. Maybe we just ordered the wrong dishes as I heard the bone marrow was excellent.Special Features:
- Nothing specialAlabamaDined on 10/8/2014the meal was ordinary to unimpressive. Steak grossly undercooked even when asked to redo (medium should not be blood red throughout). No one had anything worth writing home about. Nothing horrid but nothing special. For the price. I expected more.Special Features:
- SpectacularChill198313Dined on 10/7/2014This was my third time to Roast, and my experiences have been amazing. They always have the right food for the season and prepare it expertly. The servers are always knowledgeable and seem as excited about serving great food as I am to eat it. My wife loves the extensive wine list too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My mom birthdayMrTopalli91Dined on 10/5/2014I was to roast couple weeks ago. It was my mom 50th birthday so I wanted to take Her to a new place. I had a reservation for 4 but for some reason I had to wait 15 min I don't know the reason. I saw empty tables which we got set after 15 min, there was no problem for the waiting but my brother is on walker so he had to wait. Waiter was very knowledge the only thing she didn't have was her smile. Food was exllent very satisfied. Since work in food my industry my self I would suggest the server to smile just a little bit more. Overall a good experience I would go backSpecial Features:
- wonderful restaurantdianeDined on 10/4/2014We were in town for the weekend and wanted to celebrate our anniversary at Roast. We tried to get reservations but nothing was available until 9:45 which was too late for us. We checked again at 5:00 that day and due to cancellations we were able to get in at 7:00. We had a wonderful dinner! The food and service was more than we expected.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Less than SpectacularkmcliffDined on 10/4/2014The food was good, but I expected a lot more, especially based on how much we spent. The entrees and desert for good, however we also got two sides, the Brussel sprouts and Greens. One was defiantly over loaded with balsamic and the other was too spicy to eat. We are glad that we went, but will not be returning.Special Features:
- barcoubarcouDined on 10/3/2014Had an amazing meal with my girlfriend for her birthday and our server Brian recommended the food and wine we should have. Everything was perfect. One of the best meals we've ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent As UsualieatfoodVIPDined on 10/3/2014We went here for a special night out for my fiance's birthday. Dinner was really great; he had the roast beast & I had a filet. He ordered the black-eyed pea soup which really delivered very little flavor and we really tasted one note from it. The server graciously took it off the bill. Service was great, ambiance was great, and the sides were a favorite, as usual. You won't be disappointed with this gem.Special Features:
- domer93Dined on 10/1/2014Still my favorite restaurant in Detroit - consistent quality and service each visit - I have been here at least 10 timesSpecial Features:
- Birthday to remember...OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/29/2014I have wanted to eat here for awhile but never managed to find the occasion. Reservations were made for my birthday and I was ecstatic. The service, food, and overall experience were wonderful. It was personal and authentic and the food was above and beyond expectations. I no longer need a special occasion to go here. I will visit when I'm hungry!Special Features:
- Consistent in Quality and ServiceLuvtoeatoutDined on 9/28/2014I walk away always satisfied with the presentation and taste of the creative cuisine the y serve. The wait staff is the best in Detroit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First visit to Michael's placepaulaakDined on 9/28/2014First off the service was excellent and the food arrived timely and hot. We had the bravette sirloin and sea bass (out of scallops :( ), both excellent. The roasted root vegetables were wonderful, as were the beef cheek pierogies. I read great reviews on the brussels sprouts but ours were floating in vinegar and the walnuts were non existent, needless to say a disappointment. That said, the coffee and pumpkin ice cream to finish off our meal were top notch. Loved those pickled onions!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food!foodnetworkjunkyDined on 9/26/2014Came for the first time during restaurant week in Detroit and had high expectations on the food and service from all we had heard. Our server was very nice, but was not quite up to par with the service we were seeing other diners receive that were nearby. Server handed our menus asked if it was our first time and handed us an ipad with the win/beer list to browse. She did not explain the menu, the specials or the restaurant week special dishes. Super expedient as far as the food got it extremely fast and the runner bringing the apps explained what we were eating which was nice. Everything we ate was absolutely fantastic! NO complaints on the food....at all. Would definitely come back but hopefully get a different server.Special Features:
- Good dead cow and piggyjsbach417Dined on 9/25/2014Good dead cow and piggy. Well trained bartender. Extra characters.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RoyalOakerDined on 9/25/2014Great food and nice bar upstairs at Motor Bar. I love their happy hour as wellSpecial Features:
- Special Night Out1LuckyDuckDined on 9/25/2014We took advantage of Resturant Week and chose the Roast...so glad we did. Celebrating contunued recovery from Open Heart Surgery 5 weeks age... the whole experience was just what the "doctor" ordered. Our server was excellent, knowledgeable and very accomediateing. Gluten Allergy, no problem..she made sure what I ordered was gluten free. Loved the Pumpkin Ice Cream! The Filet was surpurb...Roasted Root Veggies and Creamed Spinach, YUMSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Flavor explosionFoodieFun319Dined on 9/24/2014Never disappointed with this restaurant. Every item was an explosion of flavor, the right size and left me with such a great experience. Everyone should try the bone marrow appetizer. It is decadent. The wait staff is always top notch. My brother was ecstatic about the wine choices. He found a wine that he loves from Portugal and hadn't had since he retired from the Air Force. The pumpkin ice cream for dessert was heavenly and was a great finish to steak and pork entrees. The porcini mushroom soup was perfectly made and so very flavorful. I would recommend this restaurant to everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousKathieDined on 9/24/2014We dined during Detroit Restaurant Week and we were very pleased! I had scallops and my husband had steak, both were perfectly prepared. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Roast Never Disappoints Do Not MissDiner1Dined on 9/22/2014Our group of 8 went to Roast for Restaurant Week and had a GREAT meal. Several of the group started out with the Charcuterie Plate and thought it was the best they had ever had. Others had the mushroom soup; the perfect choice for a fall dinner and and salad which was fresh and delicious. Entree choices were a sliced sirloin steak topped with roasted red pepper strips and pickled onions and blu cheese. Wow! this was a real winner; excellent flavors and the steak don to order. The vegetarian had the red wine risotto with fall vegetables. This dish did not present well;looked very unappetizing, but the flavors were "right on" and the dish was delicious. Scallops were seared perfectly; moist and tender! Dessert Yum. Was a bit noisy.Special Features:
- Restaurant WeekFirstTimerDined on 9/22/2014Had a great experience at Roast during Detroit Restaurant Week. We were under dressed but never made to feel uncomfortable because of it. The service was great and the Bavette topped with blue cheese was out of this world. Amy, our server, was very kind, patient, and informative.Special Features:
- Worth the trip!Coolhand37Dined on 9/22/2014We drove from Indianapolis eat at a Chef Symon restaurant. We expected the food to be great, and it was. We were blown away by the service. Brian did an amazing job of giving menu highlights and wine recommendations. The night was memorable for a lot of reasons and was just a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just right portion sizesuzofgpDined on 9/22/2014This was the first time we sat in the dining area of Roast, instead of going tot he bar. It was during Restaurant week, and there were enough choices on the menu. All of the items we selected were delicious, and the portions were just the right size. There was one wine recommendation for the main course, and happily it did work for both the seafood and beef entrees.Special Features: