Roast - A Michael Symon Restaurant
1128 Washington Blvd
Detroit, MI 48226Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $30 and under
Roast - A Michael Symon Restaurant
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.roastdetroit.com/
- Phone: (313) 961-2500
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner Service: Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Happy Hour: Monday - Friday: 4:00pm-6:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Brad Ball
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cocktails, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Roast offers two Private Dining Options: 1. VIP Dining Room 10 people 2. Stateroom Dining 16 people.
- Private Party Contact: Roastevents@symonlive.com x
A word from Roast - A Michael Symon Restaurant
Roast- A Michael Symon Restaurant is all things meat! Including wood fired Dry Aged Steaks, Rotisserie meats, Charcuterie and Heritage meats. Roast also offers fresh seafood. Totally American but with signature Mediterranean flavors and textures, Roast is an upscale flavor house that highlights Iron Chef Michael Symon's unique ability to blend old and new into cutting edge cuisine!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Roast - A Michael Symon Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Detroit ›
Roast - A Michael Symon Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
318 reviews since July 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (224)fit for foodies (219)romantic (150)notable wine list (124)hot spot (89)good for groups (85)vibrant bar scene (72)neighborhood gem (47)late-night find (21)scenic view (8)great for brunch (2)kid-friendly (2)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Roast Does Not DisappointOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/18/2014Another very fine meal at Michal Symon's gem in the beautifully restored Book Cadillac hotel. Sides which were v large are more normal sized. Our entrees were superb - ribeye, sea scallops, and filet.Special Features:
- always a win with RoastOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/16/2014outstanding staff, food is amazing hands down my favorite steak in Detroit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Impeccable ServiceOliveShayDined on 11/9/2014I dined at Roast with a colleague-friend who lives out-of-town. After three grueling days we wanted to catch up and didn't want to make any well-thought out decisions. We told our waiter, David, the kind of alcohol we liked; he asked a few questions and returned with fantastic cocktails. We at least knew what we wanted for dinner but David did steer us down the path of deliciousness with wine and dessert. Everybody from the greeters to busboys were polite, considerate, efficient and friendly without being presumptuously familiar and we were able to enjoy the company without intrusive staff. Roast's roasted marrow is the best in town and the Brussels sprouts are amazing; it's hard for me to try anything new because I enjoy these so much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentMikeDined on 11/8/2014Best bone in ribeye I have ever eaten. Sides were delicious, especially the Brussel sprouts. Incredible dessert. Great service and recommendations by the waiter. Can't wait to eat there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quality as alwaysJonahDined on 11/7/2014Ive never had a bad experience at Roast. The staff and quality of the food is always top notch. If you're a meat eater then Michael Symons Roast is a restaurant you will love. Prices are around 3$$$ out of 4$$$$, around a higher end range but still affordable for a couple looking for a special occasion for the two of them. I'll continue to go back to Roast regularly as I really enjoy a well prepared steak by someone other than me every now and then.Special Features:
- Wonderful and romanticWC2BelleDined on 11/6/2014My boyfriend and I went here in search of a wonderful dining experience. At least twice a year we seek out a fine dining experience. We got that and much more. We were seated at a private, cozy, romantic table that gave us the privacy from the hustle and activities of the rest of the restaurant. The service and food was absolutely amazing. We really enjoyed the culinary experience. All top of the line from the Artsian Cheese to the Roast Beast. The whole experience was more fabulous, enjoyable, and amazing than I ever expected.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre-Concert DinnerA2FoodieDined on 11/6/2014We were going to the Jason Mraz concert at the Fox. We have eaten here before and had a great experience, so wanted to come back. Ambience is great. The dining area offers you a view of all the chefs preparing meals which is interesting to watch. They have a open roasting pit and somethig, pig, goat, etc is always roasting and the smells are awesome! The food is fresh and portions are appropriate. Our server, Brian was very friendly, attentive and did a great job. I had the Pork Chop, my wife had the Sirloin and we shared a side of Mac & Cheese...OMG you have to try this side, best Mac & Cheese I have ever had!!! On a nice evening it is a short walk to the Fox, or Tiger Stadium. Great addition to Detroit downtown experience.Special Features:
- What the .....goodeatzDined on 11/5/2014The food, service, and serving staff were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A big let downMikes2014Dined on 11/4/2014The server we had was honest and told us that the kitchen was having an issue that night, even the sommelier was to busy to help us choose a bottle of wine. This should had been our que to leave but we stayed. Our appetizers came out ice cold and our entree's where Luke warm. When we asked for coffee after our meal our server let's us know that the coffee wasn't that good. Needless to say I will not be back nor would I recommend it to anybody.
- Great FoodAk3536VIPDined on 11/3/2014The food has never been disappointing at Roast. It remains one of my favorite restaurants. Service wasn't spectacular but it was acceptable. The bartender did a great job of making a Hot Toddy for my girlfriend who was feeling under the weather. My only other complaint is that it was never asked if we were celebrating a special occasion. It was my girlfriends birthday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing ExperiencechicagofoodieDined on 11/2/2014I have been a follower of Michael Symon for years. When I lived in Cleveland in the early/mid-90s, I frequented Lola's and loved every meal I had there. Now that I live in Detroit, I am very happy that his restaurant, Roast, is so close. The food was exceptional as expected, wait staff was amazing and overall ambiance of the restaurant was top notch. For sides we ordered the roasted Brussels sprouts, mac and cheese, and polenta. Delicious!! For dinner we had the Bavette Sirloin with Blue Cheese sauce and the Fillet Mignon. Amazing! For dessert, we shared the caramel apple cheesecake and a chocolate bomb dessert. Roast will become a place for special occasions as well as a place to take visitors to Detroit.Special Features:
- Roast simply divine.Kozo66Dined on 11/2/2014A delightful dinner experience. Food quality was superb and the service was beyond excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/2/2014I visited one of Michael's resturant while in Cleveland. I was looking forward to visiting The Roast. If I compared it with the Cleveland resturant I was a little disappointed. The service was excellent!
- Disappointed!!!!FoodLover1Dined on 11/2/2014I have been to Roast on a few occassions in the last year or so and I loved it! But this last time I was just flat out disappointed. I was excited to take my parents for the 1st time and had been bragging about how great it is and it was not! Our server was unengaging, polite was not very informative, she didn't recommend anything to my parents. I found myself going to the menu and recommending dishes. She was MIA a few times, we had to ask another server to bring salt. Yes!!! I needed salt at Roast. I have been dreaming about the Dry Aged Ribeye steak for months, the last time I had it, it was perfectly seasoned and seared to perfection, I could not wait! What I got was an under cooked, ok piece of steak with a sweet sauce on top!Special Features:
- Excellent service!Leli1948Dined on 11/1/2014I had requested a specific server who never fails to disappoint, and is great at describing all menu items! Our out of town guests were very pleased and can't wait until next time they are in Detroit to return!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food - service very avergageNosducarVIPDined on 11/1/2014We had a great meal at Roast including the goat dinner. Unfortunately the service was underwhelming given the status of the restaurant. 4ppl at our table all had the same soup- 2 were brougt out initially and then the other two along w a 5th person's salad came out 7 minutes later. Drinks service was also slow. We may have had a newer waitstaff, but it was not what we were expecting given the reputation. The good otherwise was excellent.I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent all aroundMJPLDined on 10/31/2014Went here to celebrate my wife's birthday. We had an excellent all around experience. The service was perfect: our server knew all the offerings very well, she was there when we needed her, but not any more than we wanted. I had the marrow appetizer and the "roast beast" special of the day: goat. The marrow was good, well presented and the goat wasn't bad - although not my cup of tea, it was worth a try. My wife's pork chop was perfect. We also had sorbet of the day with mango and jalapeno, which proved a great combination of flavors. The cinnamon apple cheesecake was a fitting fall treat. Our only possible complaint was that the ultimate bill was $182, before our tip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Goat!DesiLuvsgoingoutVIPDined on 10/30/2014I had Roasted Goat for the first time in my life. It was Roasted and pulled like pork. It was delicious. Everyone at our table raved about their meals. If you get a chance go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The menu was extremely limitedunhappyDined on 10/25/2014I expected a much larger menu! Very disappointed in my experience.
- Nice 20th Anniversary DinnerRichDined on 10/24/2014Can be romantic, if you are luck to get on of the few booths just behind the wine cellar and bar, which I had requested. We were first taken to a table in the middle of the room, but after mentioning my request and reservation way in advance, and which I had confirmed on the phone the day before, they were able to seat us at the requested booth. Our server was very good and friendly and the food was excellentSpecial Features:
- Great meal, great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/24/2014Staying at the Westin for our 25th anniversary, made reservations at Roast. Everything was great. My wife had the Marrow appetizer, I had the Crispy Pork Belly, then we shared the ribeye for two and some deserts. Service was great, food was awesome, exactly what we were looking for. Not cheap, but comparable to other restaurants with this level of serviceff and food. We wll definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our second visit did not disappointTheIronKettleBBDined on 10/24/2014Robert, our server was amazing. Knowledgeable of the menu, the wine list and also knew lots about the city as we were asking him questions about things happening. The food was great, but our experience was memorable due to his great service. A true professional. Sweetbreads were great, the Brussels Sprouts were sinful(haha!) and everything was enjoyable. The grouper we had the time before was better than the Ocean Trout, but nonetheless a great dish. Thank you Roast for hosting us again, and thank you Robert for making it such a wonderful experience.Special Features:
- Exactly what we expectedGandBDined on 10/24/2014We decided to try out Roast for our Anniversary dinner - we are glad we did. We had reservations for an early dinner and we got there a few minutes before and checked out the area and hotel that is connected. Everything was very clean and top notch. We were seated immediately and our server was extremely knowledgeable, polite and helpful. Food was very, very good. I'm not a fan of Brussels Sprouts but everyone we talked to said we should try them - so glad we did, they were delicious. Our steaks were cooked perfectly and all the sides we had were very tasty. Our dessert (The Bar) was fantastic. If you like chocolate, this will hit the spot. All in all a wonderful memorable dinner.Special Features:
- LoverOfFineFoodDined on 10/23/2014We were pleasantly surprised, the staff was happy, and professional. The ambiance was fun, and elegant, the food absolutely amazing. I had the Filet mignon crab bearnaise, my husband had the duck confit. The wine was a spanish malbec simple delightful. Dessert mango lime sorbet made with real fruit. Highly recommend this restaurant.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous ExperienceccecchiniDined on 10/21/2014Brussel sprouts and lamb sweetbreads were absolutely phenomenal. Wasn't a huge fan of the pork dish which was the chef's special. The duck confit was also very tasty. Ambiance and service was amazing!!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food - good and quicklotsofmeatDined on 10/21/2014Our server was attentive to our needs, she was friendly and informative. Our food came out quickly and was prepared properly. The restaurant was very clean, loved the décor. There was a lot of space between tables so I didn't feel crowded. I don't drink but I did like the ipad with wine / drink selections. It was a little dark, I do like a little more light so I can see the menu and chilly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic MealparisiensVIPDined on 10/19/2014We were a party of 4. Three of us had the filet mignon which melted in your mouth. The sides are served family style. Our Server was knowledgeable and very helpful with our wine and food choices.Special Features:
- Great AtmosphereFoodloverDined on 10/19/2014We loved the decor in the restaurant and our server was very personable and attentive. The food was good, but nothing exceptional. However, we did take previous diners' reviews into account and ordered the brussels sprouts which were outstanding.Special Features:
- Yet another great mealnumbersguy75Dined on 10/19/2014Hit up Roast for a dinner before going to a show at the Fillmore. We were greeted and seated quickly, but not warmly. We were taken to a nice booth by a window and faced the bar. Ordered mojitos and they were perfect. Appetizer: ordered the pig tails (daily special). They were quite tasty, but fatty...wife couldn't eat them. Wish we had the pork belly app instead. Entre: I had the NY Strip and my wife had the scallops. The NY was presented very well and cooked perfectly. She wanted something a little lighter and was very happy with the scallops. Sides: brussel sprouts truly are very good (not generally my favorite) and the fries were tasty too. Service: good and very friendly but could've spaced things out better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DissapointingKrislovetoeatDined on 10/18/2014Overly salty, cold and small serving. The food was disappointing. Special request for a specific desert was a no the day of reservation.
- Happy, happy tastebuds!ChefNikkiDined on 10/18/2014My husband and went to Roast for our 5 year wedding anniversary. We were immediately sat (we were 30 minutes early for our reservation) and given a private booth. Our water glasses were never more than half empty, our server was attentive and we never felt rushed. We went all out and ordered: Crudo, Root Vegetable Salad, Bavette Sirloin (I asked for medium rare, and it was more on the rare side, but still amazing!), Dry Aged Ribeye (perfectly seared to medium - husband said it was the best steak he's ever had!), Rosemary Fries, Braised Greens, Brussels Sprouts and Walnuts (I could have just eaten this and been happy!), Mango Sorbet, and The Bar dessert. We had no alcohol, and it was still was expensive, but totally worth the splurge!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing foodSpahrkleDined on 10/18/2014I think Michael Symon is great and I wanted to try this place for a long time. The food was a disappointment. Our waiter was attentive, but the service was really, really slow. We went early so it wasn't too crowded either. It's too expensive for mediocre food. We won't be back and we won't recommend it either.
- Terrific experienceGregDined on 10/17/2014Everything was really good. I'd like to be able to go with 4 1/2 stars. Service was quite good, though, the waitress was occasionally slightly awkward (one of those things where the conversation seemed to linger 5 seconds too long), but nothing bad. Filet mignon was the most tender I've had. The waitress said the Brussels sprouts would be life-changing. I'm not sure I'd go that far, however, they were outstanding. Nice place instead. Comfortable atmosphere. We would go back if we get the chance.Special Features:
- Not up to ParOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/16/2014I have dined at Micheal Symon's other restaurant, Lola, and thought it was fantastic. Although the food was good at Roast, the polenta was very lumpy and not up to what I would expect. The asian mushroom soup had no mushrooms in it. Overall, it was OK.Special Features:
- AwesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/11/2014Love going to Roast each and every time we visit Detroit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A toast to RoastratlasVIPDined on 10/9/2014while visiting Detroit on business I was recommended to meet some friends at Roast. It was a very delicious meal, and we had the roast pig (pork), scallops, Washington state oysters, and a filet. All were prepared wonderfully.Special Features:
- SkierDined on 10/9/2014This was my first visit to Roast after many great reviews from friends. I was not that impressed. There was great service but all 4 members of our party were not particularly impressed with the food. It was not bad mind you but I guess I had built up expectations beyond what I received. The wine list was extensive and very good but I think it was overpriced as was the food. Maybe we just ordered the wrong dishes as I heard the bone marrow was excellent.Special Features:
- Nothing specialAlabamaDined on 10/8/2014the meal was ordinary to unimpressive. Steak grossly undercooked even when asked to redo (medium should not be blood red throughout). No one had anything worth writing home about. Nothing horrid but nothing special. For the price. I expected more.Special Features:
- SpectacularChill198313Dined on 10/7/2014This was my third time to Roast, and my experiences have been amazing. They always have the right food for the season and prepare it expertly. The servers are always knowledgeable and seem as excited about serving great food as I am to eat it. My wife loves the extensive wine list too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My mom birthdayMrTopalli91Dined on 10/5/2014I was to roast couple weeks ago. It was my mom 50th birthday so I wanted to take Her to a new place. I had a reservation for 4 but for some reason I had to wait 15 min I don't know the reason. I saw empty tables which we got set after 15 min, there was no problem for the waiting but my brother is on walker so he had to wait. Waiter was very knowledge the only thing she didn't have was her smile. Food was exllent very satisfied. Since work in food my industry my self I would suggest the server to smile just a little bit more. Overall a good experience I would go backSpecial Features: