Roast - A Michael Symon Restaurant
1128 Washington Blvd
Detroit, MI 48226Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $30 and under
Roast - A Michael Symon Restaurant
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.roastdetroit.com/
- Phone: 313-961-2500x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner Service: Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Happy Hour: Monday - Friday: 4:00pm-6:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Daniel Campbell
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Roast offers two Private Dining Options: 1. VIP Dining Room 10 people 2. Stateroom Dining 16 people.
- Private Party Contact: Roastevents@symonlive.com x
A word from Roast - A Michael Symon Restaurant
Roast- A Michael Symon Restaurant is all things meat! Including wood fired Dry Aged Steaks, Rotisserie meats, Charcuterie and Heritage meats. Roast also offers fresh seafood. Totally American but with signature Mediterranean flavors and textures, Roast is an upscale flavor house that highlights Iron Chef Michael Symon's unique ability to blend old and new into cutting edge cuisine!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Roast - A Michael Symon Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Detroit ›
Roast - A Michael Symon Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
252 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (191)fit for foodies (174)romantic (119)notable wine list (106)good for groups (73)hot spot (65)vibrant bar scene (56)neighborhood gem (38)late-night find (10)great for lunch (9)kid-friendly (7)scenic view (5)great for brunch (4)Show More
- Can't go wrong with MichaelFoziVIPDined on 8/31/2014Been to Roast twice and Lola in Cleveland multiple times. If Michael Symon owns the place prepare yourself for outstanding!Special Features:
- Great DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014Making reservations were super easy, no issues finding the restaurant, food and service were great!Special Features:
- good food, okay serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/30/2014Four of us ate at Roast to celebrate an anniversary. I think we all felt our food was quite good but not necessarily remarkable. Our service was a little odd. Our waitress took our drink orders but left our menus(which are large and bulky) on our table to maneuver around. Eventually she came and took our orders but as soon as we ordered appetizers she disappeared before we could give her our complete order, again, leaving us to deal with the bulky menus on the table. Eventually, we called her over to the table and asked if we could complete our orders and if she would take the menus away. It just wasn't the level of service that one expects from a restaurant like Roast.Special Features:
- Brussels Sprouts!!!IreneVIPDined on 8/29/2014Went for our anniversary. Warm & friendly greeting from hostess. Loved the semi-secluded booth we got. Our server was wonderful. Got the marrow appetizer & it was just okay. brussels Sprouts were delicious. New York Strip was a little tough in about 40% of the meat. Ribeye was excellent and very tender. Bar menu was great. We shared "the bar" for dessert and both loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expensive but not stuffyJaydean12Dined on 8/26/2014I really like this place because it is upscale but people can be loud and have fun here too. The food was amazing. It's expensive but worth it for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as usualBassmanDined on 8/26/2014Had dinner with a business associate this week. The bean salad was outstanding as was the ribeye. My guest had the pork shank and was blown away by it. This place is always a sure hit when I ever I visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and atmosphereMotorfoodieVIPDined on 8/26/2014Everything I ordered from appetizers to the dessert was fantastic. Michael Symon does it again!Special Features:
- Gem in DetroitR2fromDCDined on 8/25/2014If you're in Detroit, you must visit Roast in the Westin Hotel. There is a limited choice for foodies in Detroit so it was wonderful to find this gem of a restaurant. Atmosphere is terrific. Inspired menu and great service. The heirloom tomato and Feta puree appetizer was fabulous! We were there on a Monday evening and the place was hopping -- good sign of a good restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/25/2014Usually, we have to satisfy our "foodie" side when going to vegas... Nice to have such a place right here in Detroit! Food was excellent... the staff was awesome. Great place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Falls short of expectationsLove4foodDined on 8/24/2014Little disappointed because the first meal I ordered was not enjoyable (bland and had very little meat) so I asked the server if she could change it. I then ordered swordfish which came out half cooked. They took it back and made a new one which was prepared well and quite delicious. My husband ordered the Roast Beast (it was goat that day) which was a traditional preparation. Prepared well but nothing exciting about it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful time. . .Dlh48085Dined on 8/24/2014Staff were welcoming and accommodating of the three very senior citizens we brought in our party. The table was a bit large for the five of us and it made conversation difficult since the room was bustling a bit. Food was amazing, as always. My parents (both immigrants from Poland) rated the pierogies "better than the traditional ones we normally get." So, Mr. Symon: Not Bad for a 1/2 Greek, 1/2 Italian! You knocked a Polish specialty out of the park! Well done!Special Features:
- Girls' Night OutkdubDined on 8/23/2014Enjoyed ourselves at a round table with lots of energy and fun. The food took a long time to arrive, and the waitress misguided us when deeming the branzino had 'just a few bones' but otherwise the food and ambience were great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friday evening table for 7suz4848Dined on 8/22/2014Excellent meal, service was impeccable...again, a lovely experience at RoastSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lack luster menuOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/22/2014Coming from California expectations for an interesting menu were high. They failed. Barely could choose something I would eat. And the waiter was horrible
- Iron Chef qualityOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/21/2014My third time dining at the Roast and on each visit the food and service get even better. The offerings are definitely fit for a foodie. We selected an excellent Columbia Valley Merlot to accompany an "artisan cheese plate" containing a blue cheese, pear and pecans. The wine was decanted at the table and our glasses replenished by Kim, our attentive server. We ordered steak tartar, strongly recommended by Kim and it was as good as I have eaten anywhere. Beginning to feel full and satiated, we decided to skip the entrée offerings and continue with small plates. The sides including spinach with feta, polenta and rosemary fries were full of wonderful flavors. Don't skip dessert at the Roast; I recommend the "bar". I must return soon.Special Features:
- ChilliewillieDined on 8/20/2014Three people in our party ordered steaks and indicated that they were one of the BEST steaks they have ever had. There was not a thing we ordered that was disappointing. Would definately dine here again. Our waitstaff was excellent and very knowledgable about the menu and never hesitated to answer our questions. Thanks AmySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!InLove7414Dined on 8/18/2014I took the boyfriend here for his birthday and it was the icing on the cake to the already outstanding evening we had. The waiter, Brandon, was wonderful. The food was great. I had the chicken and the Mr had spaghetti with mussels... Mussels freak me out, however, I did try one and it was actually really good. I had tried them before at other restaurants but they were always super gross. Good job Roast! We will definitely be back to celebrate more events or just hang out at the bar for a bit after work or before a game or a concert. Great spot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LerbieDined on 8/17/2014We loved our server, Amy. She was attentive and made good recommendations! Loved the chopped salad,sprouts, rosemary fries, polenta, smoked pork chop, and steak but please, there is far too much salt on everything! We were drinking water like crazy after eating that evening and our feet swelled like balloons the next day. Pork is naturally salty, but everything else is not. Cut the salt in half and it will still taste good. People can add their own at the table. You are killing us with sodium! Aside from that, everything was well presented and our service was very good. Mr. Symon, please tell your chefs to lay off the salt shaker!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/17/2014A carnivore's delight. Menu contains a nice variety, the food was prepared and presented perfectly. The service was fantastic.Special Features:
- Top Notch!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014The food was not anything that I had ever had before. It was interestingly different. A foodies dream. The ambience and service was excellent. Perfect for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional experienceLindasthoughtsDined on 8/10/2014We went for a quiet elegant birthday celebration. Everything from beginning to end was fantastic. I highly recommend Roast for any occasion. You must try the bone marrow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience! Superb food!out2eat2oftenDined on 8/9/2014This was our first time dining at Roast and it was great! The wine list was robust, our appetizers were amazing, our main courses and sides were to die for, and dessert was great! The restaurant's ambiance was relaxed and romantic; perfect for a special occasion or in our case, date night. If you are looking for a great place to have drinks or to have a candle lit dinner, you've found what you're looking for!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decadent and wonderfulsonofjacob77Dined on 8/9/2014My wife and I enjoyed every detail of our evening at Roast. The food was simply amazing.Special Features:
- DisappointingSusanneDined on 8/9/2014Beautiful restaurant but everything had too much sea salt! Limited menu, not adventurous. Wine list too limited. Wanted to support Detroit but they need to improve to get suburbanites to go more than once.Special Features:
- Ain't no Lola'sGoodGriefDined on 8/7/2014After dining at both Lola's and Lolita's, Roast was a disappointment. The charcuterie was mediocre, a cheap copy of Mario Batali's Tarry Lodge, which we have nicknamed the meat feat. On the other hand, the Pate was a dead ringer for Underwood Deviled Chicken Spread. All of the food was over salted. My duck was undercooked and very tough as well as my wife's Hangar steak. The Brussels Sprouts were superb and the feta spinach was very good. Service was mediocre at best. Good training but poor execution, no enthusiasm. However, that could happen anywhere on any given night. Bottom line we would not go back. But look forward to going back to both Lola's and Lolita's.
- Wedding anniversary dinnerDcodeDined on 8/4/2014Food was amazing. Love the cocktail drinks. Friendly bar and waitstaff. Food took longer than expected. We ordered the pork shank and ribeye. I think the pork shank took longer than expected because the steak wasnt as warm as it should have been. From the time we ordered and the time the food was brought to our table. It was at least one hour.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedEatersVIPDined on 8/2/2014My wife and I both ordered steak. Both were butterfly cut (not expecting that) and both tasted like they were cooked in bacon fat. We had different cuts of steak. I had a ton of fat on my steak. At least one third of it was fat that I had to cut off. We were disappointed with the dinner. We were expected a lot more.
- It is always goodbrummieDined on 8/1/2014It was outstanding as it always is. Great food, changing menu but with some stable items. Excellent wine and good responsive service that is not overbearing as in most restaurants in the USA.Special Features:
- Great service and food!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/31/2014Our server was Brian and he was great! Very attentive and knowledgable about the food and wine. We were celebrating something and it was the perfect atmosphere! We ordered the salmon, filet, and NY strip. All were really good. Also to try-the brussel sprouts and mushrooms, side dishes.Special Features:
- fantasticmmmmmeatDined on 7/31/2014As it was my first time in Detroit so I googled steak house. I had to try. There isn't one person in the restaurant who does not work hard. We sat by the kitchen, which is cool to see in, and watched the sous chefs bust hump. Our waitress made everything sound delicious...and it was. Mussels, off menu stuffed dates, homemade desserts and of course meat. If it had parents I'm interested and The Roast certainly serves something for every meatetarian.Special Features:
- AmazingbostonfoodieVIPDined on 7/31/2014Aside from snobby hostess we initially checked in with, the experience was fantastic. Excellent cocktails and creative and fantastic menu. Wonderfully inspired food and wait staff with culinary knowledge. Did I mention the libations? Thank you Chef! Detroit needs more gems like this to rebuild.Special Features:
- Not what we expectedJJCJDined on 7/27/2014The ambience was great, the staff was very friendly, but the food was not spectacular. My pork shank was delicious, but my husband's steak was undercooked. He ordered medium and it came medium rare, my niece ordered medium rare and her's came medium well. We also had children with us and there were no menu offerings for children. Millenials are used to taking their kids with them due to lack of sitters:O). Maybe if in the Detroit area we could try again, but for the price, definitely not worth it this trip.Special Features:
- MeAtSaLaDDined on 7/26/2014The staff is educated in regards to the products sold at Roast. This alone makes it worth while to come back. Presentation and quality are held to a higher standard. Very comfortable feeling when entering the facility, I look forward to next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing treat!jwguestsDined on 7/26/2014My family was in town for a convention this weekend and this was our dining treat! Coming from Cleveland, we knew Michael Symon's restaurant was worth visiting. Incredible steaks, perfectly cooked. Best bread pudding I've ever had. Excellent service from Brian and other knowledgeable staff. Beautiful restaurant, cool open kitchen. My only complaint would be the sides...they should match the bold, wonderful entrees, in my opinion, found them kind of dull. Drink lists on the tablet were well organized and there was plenty to choose from.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ryan99Dined on 7/26/2014I found everything to be a little under par. My steak was under cooked and way too fatty. That can be partially my fault because I did not say anything about it...I never do. The service was a little slow even with there not being many people there. Its a cool atmosphere but for the price, I would not reccomend it. Toasted Oak in Novi is far better and costs roughly the same if not less.Special Features:
- Detroit DeliciousnessSteve1234Dined on 7/26/2014My wife and I shared the mussels, beef cheek pierogies, chop salad, and the rib eye with a terrific Pinot Noir called Nevermore. It was our anniversary weekend and dinner at Roast was our warm-up for the John Fogerty & Jimmy Buffett concert at Comerica. What a great way to start the night. The room and the service were top notch and the food was perfect. Just a wonderful part of a fantastic day.Special Features:
- FairSadindetroitDined on 7/24/2014Fair if you're looking for a strange variety of food. Not inspirIng or exciting. However, the best polenta I ever had, if that's a complement? Returned my first dessert. The creme brûlée tasted like a spa treatment, but the sorbet was good. are
- Roast our first visit!Luv2eatDined on 7/22/2014We were there to celebrate my daughter's 21st birthday and the staff was fun and friendly. Every morsel was delicious. I requested the chef wish her a happy birthday and he was more than accommodating. She said it was the best of her birthday gifts. That speaks for itself!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best meal everOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/19/2014Food, service...everything was top notch...my steak was cooked perfect! Awesome experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lives up to its reputation!LondonycVIPDined on 7/19/2014Fantastic service - greg was a gem! the meal was delicious. we ordered all of the specials, right down to the dessert :) had no idea about the fabulous happy hour and will DEFinitely be back for that!Special Features: