115 E Chicago Ave
Chicago, IL 60611Neighborhood:
Gold Coast / Streeterville
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.rlrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 3124751100
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday 10:00am-5:00pm
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am-5:00pm;
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm-11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Ryan Pitts
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: RL Restaurant accepts reservations for parties up to 20 guests. Please call for details.
- Private Party Contact: Reservationist 3124751100
A word from RL Restaurant
A warm, rich interior featuring Mahogany paneling & Persian rugs, RL Restaurant houses an art collection that reflects & represents a lifestyle vision of quality, integrity & timelessness - the design & cultural aesthetic of Polo Ralph Lauren. The menu is written daily with core items, some prepared tableside, which reflect the Ralph Lauren "aspirational lifestyle." The food is not based on how exotic the chef can appear with his creativity, but on how finely tuned & balanced are his compositions -- renditions of ideas that have a history on the American Table. ****Please note that reservations are for dining room only. Bar and Patio are first come first serve.******Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
RL Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Gold Coast / Streeterville ›
RL Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
342 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (177)great for lunch (175)great for outdoor dining (122)fit for foodies (120)romantic (120)hot spot (118)neighborhood gem (115)great for brunch (111)notable wine list (75)vibrant bar scene (50)good for groups (38)late-night find (19)kid-friendly (16)scenic view (14)Show More
- Another great mealDiner10Dined on 8/31/2014I think it's the service and surroundings that make this place so terrific-- coupled with really good food. Lots of funSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ALWAYS GREAT OUR SIXTH TIME NOWOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/30/2014From the minute you walk in to the time you leave, you will have the time of your life, being pampered by the best waiters and the greatest food by far.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/28/2014absolutely delectable food- appetizers, salads, desserts we loved it all, service outstandingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classy, quality...SpecialTryThisMaybeVIPDined on 8/27/2014RL has always reminded me of 21 in NYC. Classy, pure service orientation, excellent food. The ambiance is comparable to fine NYC, or upscale Parie bistro ( with English accent). We ordered salmon ( fantastic), Ceasar salad ( perfect, crisp,) with shrimp done to perfection. The desserts were way too much for one or even two people. Bananas Foster will bring you back to New Orleans memories. Cheesecake is NYC style, with just sweet enough fruit compote. The service is non-intrusive, professional, adult. And finally- it's so ways an interesting to see who you are sharing the dining room with! It's one of Chicago's great restaurants...and it's not part of "the chain" in town. Highly recommend, but do expect to pay for the quality enjoyed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Makes senseOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/25/2014RL is a great looking , but small , restaurant. This place could be used in one of the RL " to the manor born" clothing ads . The service was perfect . The food on the other hand was barely just ok. My escargot appetizer was tough.I had the seafood over pappardelle in cream sauce. The seafood was fine and well cooked. The " pappardelle " was not pappardelle by NY standards. The noodles were too wide and reminded me of those egg noodles you get in cellophane bags at the grocery store. They were all crumpled together with a gluey , virtually there sauce . My dining companion said it looked like something you'd give your 7 year old. Very unfortunate. So as RL is all about the look , his restaurant makes sense. I would not bother going again.Special Features:
- Perfect for lunch with nieceRpnzlcpaVIPDined on 8/25/2014We traveled from San Diego and this is one of our destinations. We were thoroughly impressed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- indianadiggerDined on 8/24/2014Got to see Bunkey! Jimmy at the bar was fun and the Dover Sole was fabulous!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday brunchAdamDined on 8/24/2014Had Sunday brunch with family; restaurant was very busy, yet the service was excellent. Everyone in the family enjoyed their food selection. The restaurant was noisy however it was an enjoyable energetic atmosphere.Special Features:
- 70th Birthday celebrationJannieVIPDined on 8/22/2014Everything was great but surprised that they did not offer my wife a special birthday desert ...instead they put a candle on one of the deserts we ordered. . A candle on the tiny brownie on my bunny cookie desert the we were charged for..just thought that was unusual..other wise a wonderful $300.00 dinner.Special Features:
- AnniversaryCpleDined on 8/21/2014Great restaurant. Food and service were extremely good. Only negative was the noise and closeness of tables. We'll go back.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 8/21/2014Ralph Lauren never disapponts top notch food and service can't wait until he opens his New york spotSpecial Features:
- Best in ChicagoLuvGrtFdDined on 8/20/2014I expected a dark, chophouse, but RL is an amazing restaurant with a great variety of fish, lamb, veal and beef. They hit all the classic dishes. The wine list was very good, and lunch at the bar the next day was great. We will definitely put RL on our list for future visits to Chicago.Special Features:
- Lobster Bisque onlyEvelinDined on 8/18/2014I absolutely love the elegant ambiance inside RL. It's the only restaurant where I prefer to sit inside and not outside on a nice day! However, I hate to say that the lobster bisque was mediocre, even disappointing given the reputation of the restaurant and the price. I was aware of the $10 for a bowl of soup price going in but I never mind the price if the quality calls for it. The taste was bland and resembled soup out of a box more than a freshly prepared lobster bisque. The restaurant is beautiful, staff are extremely friendly, but I would not try their lobster bisque again.Special Features:
- Always a classy, tasty brunchKyMike78Dined on 8/17/2014RL never disappoints. From the top-notch service to the crisp table linens and fresh flowers on every table, this is the place to go for a nice, classy brunch that is refreshingly come-as-you-are casual. While I wouldn't show up post gym, diners are dressed in everything from shorts and polo shorts to dress pants and button downs. The waiters, along with the rest of the staff, are friendly and have the somewhat rare to find skill of knowing when to check on the table and when to allow diners enjoy their table mates and food. And oh, the food. I've never had anything bad or even mediocre when dining at RL. No matter what you get, end your meal with coffee and Bunky's Cookies - it's a plate of cookies with enough for 4 people to share.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RLOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/16/2014We do love this restaurant - mainly because its one of the last hold outs with fois gras - which was fantastic on saturday night - however, the seats are REALLY close together to the point where we were touching other seats with our seats - they are really cramming in covers as tightly as possible and this also led to a very noisy evening - we could hear every word of the conversations on both sides of us. That being said, the food is wonderful - the brussels are a delight!
- RaydawgDined on 8/15/2014Very good food in cozy, traditional atmosphere. Service normally superb but we had a bad waiter who spent his whole time chatting with a loud guest at the next table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Chicago Restaurant!LindaVIPDined on 8/14/2014My two adult daughters and I had dinner at RL Restaurant. The atmosphere, food and service was top-notch. Our server, Karla, was friendly, knowledgable and made great recommendations. All three of us would highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HarryDined on 8/14/2014Always a treat for dining here with delicious food, great attentive service and great wines. A place for special occasions. Always difficult to get reservations, but keep trying. ou will not regret it.Special Features:
- Fabulous restaurantfoodieVIPDined on 8/14/2014RL remains one of our favorite restaurants--it is a true gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ist time and was excellentHSJOHNDined on 8/12/2014First time visit - RL was recommended by our son and we enjoyed it very much...service and food were pretty special! - will definitely go back when in Chicago!Special Features:
- A Broker's ReviewOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/10/2014This was my second time here. I brought 2 of my clients to say thank you for their business and my husband as well. I made reservations well in advance and requested a booth on the perimeter of the room specifically to avoid the "sardine" feeling when you sit in the middle of the room. Unfortunately we never got our booth,we sat right behind the podium cramped &getting hit by waiters, & people constantly. Our waiter was Jeff, a fabulous personality, but he forgot my client's wine twice. I specifically told Courtney - a wonderful girl by the way that the bill was to come to me . She told Jeff but Jeff ended up giving it to my client- NOT GOOD! Thankfully my husband rescued the check . Tables are way too close to enjoy any fine dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday BrunchGreatplaceNoflowerDined on 8/10/2014Great food. Outstanding Bloody Mary. But I had to borrow a flower from the table next to us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum!southerngirlDined on 8/9/2014Always excellent service, and perfectly cooked steaks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!DBDtravelerDined on 8/8/2014RL was a special find on our trip to Chicago. The service from our waiter Scott was impeccable. Friendly and attentive but not intrusive. Our entrees were the halibut and the salmon, which were both outstanding in every way. From presentation to quality, but most importantly, the taste was incredible! Our personal favorite was their peach pie for two. Wow now that was worth every calorie! Our reservations were at 5:30 on a Friday night and it was not overly busy yet by the time we left it was quite busy. So if you are seeking a bit quieter time, go early. My husband and I highly recommend RL. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch at RLIEatAlotDined on 8/4/2014Great place, a little pricey for lunch with two sandwiches at $16 and $17 a piece but they were delicious and included delicious sides. Outdoor dining was incredible with great people watching with location directly across from the old water tower.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday PartyInkicatDined on 8/3/2014Two couples celebrated my 70th birthday at RL. Could not have been better. My halibut was perhaps the best I've ever had. Jeff the server was excellent. So was Mollie and Abdul. Did not rush us, since we went to high school together and had much to discuss.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great, as usualDougVIPDined on 8/3/2014I get to RL on every visit to Chicago. The total experience is always pleasant and memorable.Special Features:
- Great Room, Atmosphere & FoodWIelTigreDined on 8/2/2014This is a very special, very nice spot for any meal on the Magnificent Mile. We're from Wisconsin and try to eat there after shopping in the store (by the way, nice sale this past weekend 8/2/14) and it is a place where you'll enjoy the atmosphere and food - it is a very enjoyable setting. I particularly enjoy the steak tartar appetizer but it is a large serving that must be shared with at least one or two people. The lobster bisque is my wife’s favorite and we always enjoy their wines. All the main courses are good as are the sandwiches. Two thumbs up!Special Features:
- Long time favoriteWisconsinGirlDined on 8/2/2014You can never go wrong with the delicious menu options at RL. Whether it's for lunch or dinner, the classic atmosphere always lends to a fantastic experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food not as good as we expectedKJ123VIPDined on 8/1/2014The week before we ate at Joe's Seafood down the street. Had hoped this would be as good. The food just was not anything special. We were spoiled at Joe's and will go back there.
- Excellent EveningKit123Dined on 7/31/2014We LOVED the food. The Beef Carpaccio was the best our friend has ever had. My husband loved the Lobster Bisque and two of us had the Tomato Bisque. Again excellent. I can't believe we were able to get king salmon! Three of us selected it and the presentation did not disappoint and the salmon was wonderful. The remaining member chose the grilled steak. He is a steak nut and he raved about it. Portions were all good sizes and the sides were made for sharing. The menu offers lots of choice with some signature dishes as well. Wine list was well-selected and not over-priced. Very professional servers and never intrusive. Restaurant was very crowded at 7:30 so it was difficult to talk, but the crowd thinned out. Lovely restaurant!Special Features:
- Love this place. Awesome every timeLewisDined on 7/31/2014We love love this place. We have been coming for years. Never have we had a bad experience. Best burger in town. Will keep coming back and will post a great review on trip advisor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still the best!ChicmVIPDined on 7/30/2014My friend and I have lunch here every time she's in from New York. It never disappoints and this was no exception. The food and service are impeccable. And the crispy crackle bread they bring out is addictive!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DineoutdivaDined on 7/29/2014Unfortunately, both halibut entrees were overdone. The server was apologetic & removed the cost of one entree. She did come round to the table well after the food was delivered to check. Also, we were seated late. The dining room is not large. If you go & have never been before, Be prepared to be seated at entrance of room. If this is an issue, request a table at a wall around the room. Seemed like there were many regulars dining there that night & they received preferential treatment(of course).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sjsjdsDined on 7/29/2014Good food. Service declined. Additional tables have been added which makes for tight spacing and waiter bumping into customers plus more noise. We have been to RL's many times but recent visits have been very negative. It seems that the pressure to max tables has down graded diner comfort and experience.Special Features:
- Lovely placeMostanyDined on 7/28/2014I started coming to RL for their drinks a few years ago, but what was my surprise that they have probably the best calf liver in town. Their lobster sandwich is really good, not to mention their bisque and some of the salads. The service is meticulous and very attentive.Special Features:
- Go to place!BillDined on 7/27/2014My wife and I have been going to Chicago for years and love to experiment with new venues, including restaurants. One standby location, however is RL. It's always on our list. This past week we celebrated my wife's birthday there and had a magnificent time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never Disappointing!J2TheKDined on 7/26/2014This has and will continue to be one of my very favorite restaurants in Chicago. It's one of my go-to places for visiting company and local friends alike! The restaurant embodies the glamour and luxury that is the world of Ralph Lauren. It's finely appointed with an easy comfort that sets you at complete ease!Special Features:
- More than foodFoodandmoreDined on 7/24/2014It is great when you find a restaurant that has wonderful food, and doesn't try to reinvent the wheel. Just great food, fun atmosphere and some people watching! What more could you want? Also. We had an attentive waiter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You're simply the BESTLeseDined on 7/23/2014Every single time we dine at RL restaurant, it is wonderful and charming experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.