115 E Chicago Ave
Chicago, IL 60611Neighborhood:
Gold Coast / Streeterville
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.rlrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 3124751100
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday 10:00am-5:00pm
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am-5:00pm;
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm-11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Ryan Pitts
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: RL Restaurant accepts reservations for parties up to 20 guests. Please call for details.
- Private Party Contact: Reservationist 3124751100
A word from RL Restaurant
A warm, rich interior featuring Mahogany paneling & Persian rugs, RL Restaurant houses an art collection that reflects & represents a lifestyle vision of quality, integrity & timelessness - the design & cultural aesthetic of Polo Ralph Lauren. The menu is written daily with core items, some prepared tableside, which reflect the Ralph Lauren "aspirational lifestyle." The food is not based on how exotic the chef can appear with his creativity, but on how finely tuned & balanced are his compositions -- renditions of ideas that have a history on the American Table. ****Please note that reservations are for dining room only. Bar and Patio are first come first serve.******Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
RL Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Gold Coast / Streeterville ›
RL Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
340 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (169)great for lunch (167)fit for foodies (131)hot spot (114)great for outdoor dining (111)romantic (111)neighborhood gem (105)great for brunch (100)notable wine list (65)vibrant bar scene (43)good for groups (39)scenic view (16)kid-friendly (16)late-night find (16)Show More
- Don't rush usOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/29/2014The restaraunt was beautiful with lovely art work everywhere and comfortable seating. There were two larger groups seated also and each had an overly served guest. They were loud and abnoxiuos and management did nothing to address it. That ruined our conversation and experience. Also if you are going to allow guests to make an 8:30 dinner reservation on a Monday evening don't be pulling our plates off the table when we are not finished eating our meals !!! The food was delicious and unique and it's unfortunate we felt rushed for the amount of money we spent. I would go again , but would not allow the same experience to happen again to us without comment to the management.Special Features:
- JennDined on 9/28/2014The food was very very good. Service was great and speedy. But the seating is very close. The place is kind of small.Special Features:
- FabulousBrunchloverVIPDined on 9/27/2014This restaurant was superb. Food was very good and service beyond expectations! A very special place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So good went back next nighRLfanDined on 9/26/2014My daughter-in-law recommended RL so I made a reservation. Our table was ready, service was great and food wonderful. We enjoyed it so much we went back the next night and was able o get a patio table. I cant wait for them to open in New York.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BirthdayJannieVIPDined on 9/26/2014Always good for special occasions..service was not up to snuff...had to spend a little more time finding our waiters than usual..Special Features:
- Always great!ChicagoKimDined on 9/25/2014We live in the area and continue to enjoy this place! Fantastic service....great food....fun scene!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprisingly goodGood1VIPDined on 9/22/2014I have been to RL for 'ladies' lunch many times and it is always very crowded and the food is good. My husband and I were in the neighborhood for a show at the Museum of Contemporary Art and went to RL for dinner as it is in walking distance. The service was great, the food delicious. We expected the high dinner prices due to the name and the location so we were not surprised, or bothered by it. The food was very good ... and the 'David Bowie Is' exhibit at the Museum of Contemporary Art was exceptional!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, Decent servicenicknameDined on 9/21/2014Lunch dining: Great food, halibut dish was delicious. Service was odd, several waiters attended our table without much coordination between them - one example, orders were taken by multiple waiters; another example, we were told they were out of a dish I wanted, then told they did have it, then finally told they were out of it. Overall, enjoyed the food, and servers were very attentive and kind, but slightly off.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great TimePickyone8Dined on 9/20/2014Went to the restaurant to celebrate the upcoming wedding of my best friend and his partner, they chose the restaurant and I must say it was an excellent choice ! Everything was excellent!!Special Features:
- RL Regulars; disappointed this timeNeighborVIPDined on 9/19/2014We are RL regulars and will likely continue to be. That said, our food on Friday night was simply not up to the usual RL standard..
- Awesome experienceSuzbDined on 9/19/2014Excellent service. Our server, christy, was knowledgeable, engaging, and just attentive enough. The atmosphere was understated elegance. The food was beautifully presented and was fabulous. Great evening. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SueSydneyDined on 9/16/2014Just as I expected, anything Ralph Lauren is exceptional! Extremely knowledgable staff with service to match. Atmosphere was great as Restaurant was full and the food was superb. Would highly recommend the Restaurant as a must when in Chicargo and will definitely be back to Chicargo only to eat at the Ralph Lauren Restaurant again. Love everything he does and the Restaurant is no exception!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hoped for more....Iowa2Dined on 9/14/2014The first impression of RL is a very good one, presenting a clublike feeling. We were initially seated near the rear next to the kitchen door. The cooking odors were overwhelming so we asked to be moved. Our female waiter seemed tired and bored. The drinks were fine, but the food was uneven: my lump carb cakes were ordinary, while my friend's braised short ribs were fantastic. Dessert was a disappointment. The menu stated that the Bananas Foster was prepared table-side: not true. They were served already cooked. Why didn't we learn this when we ordered? The bananas were very over-cooked and mushy, the sauce was thick and almost cool. With the wonderful dining choices in downtown Chicago, I would probably not dine here again.Special Features:
- Very goodPatmacDined on 9/14/2014Service was excellent. Food very good with a nice atmosphere. We will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Fancy place and great foodMfduttoDined on 9/11/2014I went with a friend and we order the fried olives and the tomato and mozzarella tarta as apetizers. Those options were amazing. Then since we saw that the entrees had a considerable size, we decided to shar a salad and the RL burger. Both plates were spectacular as well. The only critic I would do is that the place is a little bit noicy and dark. But overall it was fantastic.Special Features:
- Available time slotsOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/10/2014I find it odd that only 11:00 or 2:00 was available on Open table when the restaurant was virtually empty until 12:30.. I think we could have just called the restaurant directly and gotten a better reservation and will probably do so in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistent QualityJeffDined on 9/8/2014I have been to RL several times over the past few years and they consistently maintain the highest level of service and outstanding food. Great spot for business dinner or a night out with family or friends.Special Features:
- Excellent as usualOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/7/2014Food was excellent, service impeccable, perfect Sunday birthday celebration!Special Features:
- Beautiful restaurant!TM26Dined on 9/7/2014The service here was great! They treat you like royalty waiting on your every need. Very upscale fancy restaurant. Pastries were awesome and the head waiter Chris was the best! Will definitely visit next time I'm in town! Thanks for the great service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ReluctantReviewerVIPDined on 9/6/2014The server agreed to pace our order after we hestitated to place the entire order at once. Shortly (too shortly) after we had finished our appetizers, my steak appeared in front of me. My husband's steak came about 5 minutes later. I ordered the Steak Diane which turned out to be an enormous slab of meat riddled with fat. It was disappointing to me as we had been to RL years before and I also ordered the Steak Diane which then was a perfectly proportioned cut of meat (i.e., not a giant slab) with no fat. The escargot was only ok, the creamed spinach was spinach is what seemed to be skim milk. The green beans were great as was the blueberry pie. In the end, definitely not worth the price.
- Great turkey burgerBossLadyDined on 9/3/2014As a non-beef eater I love it when I come across a good turkey burger. Very good flavor, I could taste the herbs in it. We sat out on patio on a slow afternoon and it was perfect. Joseph waited on us and he was very attentive. Definitely will come back. Btw, good Lemon drops as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great mealDiner10Dined on 8/31/2014I think it's the service and surroundings that make this place so terrific-- coupled with really good food. Lots of funSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ALWAYS GREAT OUR SIXTH TIME NOWOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/30/2014From the minute you walk in to the time you leave, you will have the time of your life, being pampered by the best waiters and the greatest food by far.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/28/2014absolutely delectable food- appetizers, salads, desserts we loved it all, service outstandingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classy, quality...SpecialTryThisMaybeVIPDined on 8/27/2014RL has always reminded me of 21 in NYC. Classy, pure service orientation, excellent food. The ambiance is comparable to fine NYC, or upscale Parie bistro ( with English accent). We ordered salmon ( fantastic), Ceasar salad ( perfect, crisp,) with shrimp done to perfection. The desserts were way too much for one or even two people. Bananas Foster will bring you back to New Orleans memories. Cheesecake is NYC style, with just sweet enough fruit compote. The service is non-intrusive, professional, adult. And finally- it's so ways an interesting to see who you are sharing the dining room with! It's one of Chicago's great restaurants...and it's not part of "the chain" in town. Highly recommend, but do expect to pay for the quality enjoyed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Makes senseOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/25/2014RL is a great looking , but small , restaurant. This place could be used in one of the RL " to the manor born" clothing ads . The service was perfect . The food on the other hand was barely just ok. My escargot appetizer was tough.I had the seafood over pappardelle in cream sauce. The seafood was fine and well cooked. The " pappardelle " was not pappardelle by NY standards. The noodles were too wide and reminded me of those egg noodles you get in cellophane bags at the grocery store. They were all crumpled together with a gluey , virtually there sauce . My dining companion said it looked like something you'd give your 7 year old. Very unfortunate. So as RL is all about the look , his restaurant makes sense. I would not bother going again.Special Features:
- Perfect for lunch with nieceRpnzlcpaVIPDined on 8/25/2014We traveled from San Diego and this is one of our destinations. We were thoroughly impressed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- indianadiggerDined on 8/24/2014Got to see Bunkey! Jimmy at the bar was fun and the Dover Sole was fabulous!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday brunchAdamDined on 8/24/2014Had Sunday brunch with family; restaurant was very busy, yet the service was excellent. Everyone in the family enjoyed their food selection. The restaurant was noisy however it was an enjoyable energetic atmosphere.Special Features:
- 70th Birthday celebrationJannieVIPDined on 8/22/2014Everything was great but surprised that they did not offer my wife a special birthday desert ...instead they put a candle on one of the deserts we ordered. . A candle on the tiny brownie on my bunny cookie desert the we were charged for..just thought that was unusual..other wise a wonderful $300.00 dinner.Special Features:
- AnniversaryCpleDined on 8/21/2014Great restaurant. Food and service were extremely good. Only negative was the noise and closeness of tables. We'll go back.Special Features:
- notrumiskitchenDined on 8/21/2014Ralph Lauren never disapponts top notch food and service can't wait until he opens his New york spotSpecial Features:
- Best in ChicagoLuvGrtFdDined on 8/20/2014I expected a dark, chophouse, but RL is an amazing restaurant with a great variety of fish, lamb, veal and beef. They hit all the classic dishes. The wine list was very good, and lunch at the bar the next day was great. We will definitely put RL on our list for future visits to Chicago.Special Features:
- It has become a locals restaurantVictoireVIPDined on 8/19/2014When we lived in Chicago we would come here for lunch with out-of-town guests. People were dressed more casually, as they were tourists taking a break from shopping. This time, we found it full of locals all dressed up and chatting from table to table. We felt out of place..dressed in shorts. It was classic Ralph Lauren decor. The food is still great, however the Lobster Bisque was lacking lobster bits I was used to.Special Features:
- Lobster Bisque onlyEvelinDined on 8/18/2014I absolutely love the elegant ambiance inside RL. It's the only restaurant where I prefer to sit inside and not outside on a nice day! However, I hate to say that the lobster bisque was mediocre, even disappointing given the reputation of the restaurant and the price. I was aware of the $10 for a bowl of soup price going in but I never mind the price if the quality calls for it. The taste was bland and resembled soup out of a box more than a freshly prepared lobster bisque. The restaurant is beautiful, staff are extremely friendly, but I would not try their lobster bisque again.Special Features:
- Always a classy, tasty brunchKyMike78Dined on 8/17/2014RL never disappoints. From the top-notch service to the crisp table linens and fresh flowers on every table, this is the place to go for a nice, classy brunch that is refreshingly come-as-you-are casual. While I wouldn't show up post gym, diners are dressed in everything from shorts and polo shorts to dress pants and button downs. The waiters, along with the rest of the staff, are friendly and have the somewhat rare to find skill of knowing when to check on the table and when to allow diners enjoy their table mates and food. And oh, the food. I've never had anything bad or even mediocre when dining at RL. No matter what you get, end your meal with coffee and Bunky's Cookies - it's a plate of cookies with enough for 4 people to share.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RLOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/16/2014We do love this restaurant - mainly because its one of the last hold outs with fois gras - which was fantastic on saturday night - however, the seats are REALLY close together to the point where we were touching other seats with our seats - they are really cramming in covers as tightly as possible and this also led to a very noisy evening - we could hear every word of the conversations on both sides of us. That being said, the food is wonderful - the brussels are a delight!
- RaydawgDined on 8/15/2014Very good food in cozy, traditional atmosphere. Service normally superb but we had a bad waiter who spent his whole time chatting with a loud guest at the next table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Chicago Restaurant!LindaVIPDined on 8/14/2014My two adult daughters and I had dinner at RL Restaurant. The atmosphere, food and service was top-notch. Our server, Karla, was friendly, knowledgable and made great recommendations. All three of us would highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HarryDined on 8/14/2014Always a treat for dining here with delicious food, great attentive service and great wines. A place for special occasions. Always difficult to get reservations, but keep trying. ou will not regret it.Special Features: