1539 Solano Ave
Berkeley, CA 94707Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.rivolirestaurant.com/
- Phone: (510) 526-2542
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm, Friday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm, Saturday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Wendy Brucker
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Rivoli Restaurant
Rivoli strives to be a hands on, moderately priced restaurant with simple and creative food, carefully selected wines and comfortable service in a warm and lively atmosphere. Rivoli’s distinction comes from the heart and soul of its owners and staff. The menu relies on what is seasonal, local and fresh, using mostly organic produce, sustainably caught fish and naturally raised meats and poultry. The wines are selected for their affinity with the food, and offer the best values from the cooler regions of California and the Old World. The dining room staff provides friendly and attentive service and the chefs and cooks are skilled artisans of their craft.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerCalifornian
Rivoli Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Berkeley ›
Rivoli Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
202 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (148)neighborhood gem (145)special occasion (141)romantic (87)notable wine list (54)scenic view (28)good for groups (10)hot spot (9)late-night find (5)kid-friendly (3)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- romantic, special occasion neighborhood restaurantclmstr44Dined on 11/23/2014The restaurant is a small, special occasion restaurant. The menu is rather limited with about six entree choices. I think they should offer a simple hamburger and/or pasta for the less adventurous diners. The food is prepared well but portions are a little small for the prices charged. Service was good and attentative. The scenery is a view of their garden but a seat ing close to the windows is needed to fully appreciate it.Special Features:
- Food at Rivoli's is mediocre.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/21/2014The food was no where near as good as it used to be. There were 5 of us and we all had a different dish. My veal was mediocre as was the lamb shank that my sister ordered. The food was not hot enough. Service was very good but we will not return as there are so many excellent restaurants in the Bay Area and Rivoli's is just so so. Big disappointment for our out of town guests : (
- I was a little disappointed in Rivoli this time.BonfireVIPDined on 11/16/2014I have been there many times before and always loved it. This time I didn't care for the waiter. He never really talked to us; had no personality and came at strange times. The souffle appetizer was the best part; totally delicious. The green salad with toasted sugary pecans was good, but had way too many pecans that were too sweet. The pork chop was delicious with sweet potato on the side, but the grilled shrimp was very bland and uninteresting. Fingerling potatoes were also only okay. We didn't have dessert. It was a little noisier than I remember and I sat facing the garden which was only okay.Special Features:
- Cozy dining room for foodiesKarenDined on 11/16/2014Rivoli was recommended by our friend who lives in Berkeley, and the restaurant lived up to her glowing report. We had a delicious meal, with standout items including a butter lettuce salad with walnuts and blue cheese and the chicken two ways entree. The sorbet was outstanding. The dining room is small with tables close together, and a guest at the table next to ours was very annoying, but that is not the fault of the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/14/2014We had a reservation for 8pm and didn't get seated until 830pm but were offered some complimentary champagne - can't complain. The service was excellent and the food was quite good. I really like the atmosphere here - not too quiet, not too loud. Great place for a romantic evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Recent Dinner at RivolimangionaDined on 11/11/2014Four friends met at the restaurant for our annual visit. The menu offered many possibilities, many of them familiar. All our meals were excellent. The cocktails were delicious. The service was very good. Very reliable; top notch quality; everything very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Trish STrishSDined on 11/9/2014Loved our visit to the Rivoli. We were seated almost immediately. The menu was excellent; we were informed by our waiter Simon, it changes every three weeks. Service was amazing. The food was top notch, very fresh and well prepared. Had a lovely visit with the Chef afterwards. Save room for the hot fudge sundae. Great dining experience.Special Features:
- very goodgooseganderVIPDined on 11/7/2014Everything was consistent, very good food, very good service, but nothing really memorable. It was a fine evening, but with other options in the area, we'll likely try something else next time we're in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EAUOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/5/2014Excellent, as usual. It it our favorite go-to restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but loudHeyfredDined on 11/3/2014My wife and I really like Rivoli, but it's probably best to go there at off hours. This last time we went at 7:00 and the noise was deafening; it was extremely difficult to carry on a conversation. Save room for the hot fudge sundae!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Garden dining indoorssandysmomDined on 10/28/2014The dining room faces (through large picture windows) a tranquil, pretty garden. This set the ambience for our light dinner - otherwise the dining room is ordinary, although the tables are appointed nicely. The service was excellent. The highlight of our light supper was the lobster soufflé - a pouf-y crust filled with delicious, creamy lobster morsels on a bed of minced crunchy vegetables along with a simple salad of perfectly fresh garden greens. The soufflé was actually a starter, but it was perfect for a light supper main course. My husband had nicely-flavored lamb-beef meatballs on polenta that he enjoyed - not fancy but very good. The wine list was varied and friendly for the cuisine, which is a casual American-European fusion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another noisy restaurantUCgradVIPDined on 10/27/2014The food is still good, and the service is the best--efficient, friendly without being familiar. The waiter suggested an excellent bottle of wine. The plate of gulf shrimp was pricey at $28. The artichoke soup was almost hot enough. But after 7PM it gets too loud to have a conversation, especially if your party is bigger than two persons.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- noisy but nicedin4twoDined on 10/26/2014Really good food and outstanding service. My husband ordered salmon but was misunderstood (it's noisy in there) and the waiter brought prawns. Within 10 minutes he had his salmon. They brought us a piece of complimentary pumpkin cheesecake, again apologizing for the entree mix up, which was absolutely delicious. You can tell customer service is a top priority. The food is great. The lighting is cozy and romantic. We were there on a Sunday night and it was a full house. Be sure to make reservations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingSusyDined on 10/26/2014We love coming here, we come every August and October the food is amazing and we love how friendly the staff is, keep up the good work!!! :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely as alwaysmccalmoVIPDined on 10/25/2014We had a wonderful time. We always do. Delicious food and friendly service. Delightful!Special Features:
- Not as good as we are used to!JulesVIPDined on 10/25/2014Food was good, but it was not hot! None of the four of us had hot food. Too tired to fuss about it. Service was excellent, although the server didn't notice we were talking about the temperature of the food. Guess we should have spoken up. Typically, we love this restaurant.
- Lovely eveningfoodluverVIPDined on 10/25/2014Rivoli is always a pleasure, and Saturday night no exception. Started with glasses of the Cremant - lovely stuff. Salad with arugula, pumpkin seed brittle, blue cheese etc. was savory and interesting. Lobster souffle was intensely flavored. Roast chicken was good not great, but the ravioli with lamb tangine (more like a bolognese) was fantastic! Service relaxed and friendly but completely professional. Expensive but worth it.Special Features:
- Better than everHappyDinerDined on 10/24/2014We hadn't been to Rivoli for a few years and were pleasantly surprised that things are better than ever. An enjoyable dining experience, with knowledgeable and low key wait staff. Wine list, cocktails and food choices were both imaginative and comfortably familiar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ganderDined on 10/23/2014It was so noisy we could hardly hear each other. They need to do something to absorb the noise. Very nice setting. Great food and good service.Special Features:
- Rivali is Berkeley's best!Bompa4Dined on 10/17/2014This small charming restaurant has been a long-time favorite with locals. As visitors to the area, we made reservations over a month ahead for the four of us. Staff was friendly and our table was ready when we arrived so we didn't order drinks at the small bar near the entry. Waiter was informative and attentive and personable. Wine list is extensive and had several choices at each price point. And the food was outstanding! Don't miss their wonderful portobello mushroom fritter appetizer. It's been on the menu for many years and Now we know why! Breaded and sautéed with Parmesan cheese, a squeeze of lemon, and served over a lemon dressed arugula. Our entrees were equally impressive. And the dessert menu has something for everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- spectacular food ,cozy atmospherePhyllisSteinDined on 10/13/2014What a beautiful dining room-small with spare and elegant decor with one glass wall overlooking a verdant garden. Very efficient service with outstanding and interesting dishes. I particularly recommend the cheese platter for dessert, served with warm toasted cranberry walnut bread and three different cheeses.Special Features:
- Mom's birthdaylovesgoodfoodDined on 10/12/2014Rivoli is one of my favorite restaurants so I chose it for Mom's 91st birthday celebration. We all enjoyed our meals and the excellent service. My only disappointment was the menu change as a few of us were looking forward to the duck breast and short ribs, but the risotto was delicious. Thank you for a memorable evening and we'll be back!Special Features:
- Excellent AgainrutoyoutooDined on 10/12/2014Flawless service (thank you Tiffany!) Very, very, good food. What more can I say. This was our 2nd time at Rivoli and it was excellent, again. We'll be back.Special Features:
- Elegant diningJockomoDined on 10/11/2014Rivoli is an elegant place to relax over a well presented and flavorful meal. The dining area is attractive and looks out on a beautiful garden. The food is excellent and noise level quiet enough for conversation. I recommend Rivoli for a romantic date or for a special dinner with friends. Staff is warm and friendly and service top notch.Special Features:
- My favorite restaurant in Berkeley!foodiegrandmaDined on 10/10/2014I have been a fan of Wendy's for years, and it's always a treat to eat there. The portabella mushroom fritters are required eating, as is the hot fudge sundae (you can ask for a half sundae if the regular is too much). In between are delicious entrees (think Tuscan roast chicken with truffles) and always a vegetarian entree as well. Ask for a table by the window so you can look out at the delicious dinner. If you go on Saturday or Sunday, Wendy will be in the kitchen!Special Features:
- OutstandingWellingtonianDined on 10/9/2014We can't wait to go back. The menu changes every three weeks, so we'll plan for the next rotation. Everything our group of four chose was phenomenal, perfectly cooked, beautifully seasoned. Great atmosphere, acoustics allow you to hear each other without disturbing nearby tables. Reservations are a must.Special Features:
- Rivoli's the best!luv2dineoutDined on 10/9/2014We have been to Rivoli before, but it had been a while. My husband requested we go there for his birthday. We were totally thrilled with the meal from the first bite to the last. Started with Jerusalem artichoke soup and the Belgian endive and arugula salad -- both were heavenly. He ordered Tuscan chicken and I ordered salmon. Not only was the main entree delicious -- but those sides were to die for! Though stuffed we ended the meal with a chocolate brioche bread pudding that didn't disappoint. The glass wall -- which is what always brings us back to this spot -- overlooks a beautiful garden. Our waiter (DNR name) was great. A lovely birthday dinner we won't soon forget. Truly a neighborhood gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best dining experiencesTeddVIPDined on 10/8/2014This was my third dinner at Rivoli. The menu offers wonderful choices, each superbly prepared and presented. If you can request James as your waiter he is exceptional! Justin, the bartender, provides a warm, friendly welcome with very attentive service. The dining room has great site lines and overlooks a lovely serene garden.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/7/2014Very nice that when they found out it was my husband's birthday (when I said we had birthday cake at home for dessert) someone brought over a discreet candle that was festive but not publicly embarrassing. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprisingly good ItalianHalpVIPDined on 10/7/2014Enjoyed the portabella appetizer though if ordering, expect portabella fries instead of what is listed.Special Features:
- disappointed in servicerodrokit13VIPDined on 10/5/2014sat around for a good 10 minutes before host finally stopped by and asked rather lamely if we had any questions. well, gee whiz, I might like some glasses and my bottle of wine opened, and by the way is anyone waiting my table? waiter when he did arrive was a walking cadaver as far as personality and was rather rude to my wife while answering questions. been going here for close to 10 years, so great food as always, but way off on the service. too bad, won't go back for a long time. can't recommend to anyone any more.Special Features:
- Loved it allRosiesbDined on 10/4/2014We had read positive reviews in tripadvisor and yelp. We were a little late for our reservation and they were very understanding and told us a quick place to park. My husband and I were taking our Berkeley student to dinner and he was very excited when he walked in. the place was lovely , the big glass wall and the view of the trees. Eventhough we were late they never rushed us. My son had noted how great the service was and that it really added to his dining experience. The food was great, the wine was nice and the dessert was the perfect finish to the evening. Our waitress was great. we will come back again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent restaurantEnjoysGoodFoodDined on 10/4/2014We've been here several times with different people. It's always been an enjoyable evening, but I think this time was the BEST ever. EVERYTHING was delicious! We had a waiter that we've had before, and he took very good care of us. We were seated by the window wall that looks out onto a very private, calming, exquisite garden. And the food was EXCEPTIONAL. A lovely evening.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/3/2014Always love this restaurant! Food is exceptional. Added bonus, every time we have Tiffany as our server we know we are in good hands! Very attentive and so friendly.Special Features:
- Birthday celebrationederfan1Dined on 10/2/2014Our friend absolutely loves this restaurant. Says it's her favorite. We take her there to celebrate her birthday. But probably would not choose it ourselves. I'm hard of hearing and this place is too noisy.Special Features:
- Very disappointedOaklandMamaFoodieDined on 9/27/2014The 2 appetizers and the 2 entrees we ordered fell short--each one of them. We went here for our anniversary and had to go to a local favorite down the street for dessert in order to end the evening on a positive note. The food or the service wasn't bad, it just wasn't good--at all. I would absolutely not recommend this restaurant to anyone who enjoys a quality meal.
- Bravo, Rivoli!OpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 9/27/2014I don't get to dine at Rivoli often enough, but every one of my visits has been a delicious and memorable experience. Once again, my dining companion and I were (almost) speechless in our praise of every item we ate -- the starters we shared were superb, and each of us had a main course of which we ate every single molecule (and we would have stabbed our server's hand with a fork had he tried to remove a plate that wasn't empty!) We shared a truly astonishing dessert and if we hadn't thought it would make us conspicuous, MIGHT have licked the plate clean. Keep up the good work, people ... I will go back next time I want to enjoy a truly outstanding meal on Solano!Special Features:
- Consistently satisfyingJbfoodieDined on 9/27/2014Consistently very fine and original food. They take chances gastronomically, which is cool, yet all the food is comfortably tasty. Out of the Chez Panisse tradition, they are farm to table and adjust their menu accordingly every 3 weeks, which us very impressive to me. Their wine list deserves mention for variety and affordability. The service is good enough to solid, and pleasingly authentic and unpretentious. The room is pleasant and the noise level reasonably quiet. Simply said, you get what you pay for with some delightful upsides. This is a place where real modest people eat really good food. Fresh, fresh and respectful of ingredients! Delicious time and time again without breaking the bank. Kudos Rivoli!Special Features:
- Good food, service less soMarcellaDined on 9/23/2014As always, I enjoy the food at Rivoli very much. The scallops were cooked to perfection. Love the small room with the view of the garden. Yes, as has been true of our last three visits, the service leaves much to be desired. You have to flag down the waiters at virtually every step of the meal. Long waits between courses. Difficult to get their attention. Just inattentive and sloppy overall. It's too bad; I would go more often but my irritation at the slow and sporadic service annoys me and makes me enjoy the meal less.Special Features:
- So accomodatingbetsyDined on 9/19/2014The employees here were just wonderful, would do just about anything to make our dinner perfect!!!Special Features: