1539 Solano Ave
Berkeley, CA 94707Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.rivolirestaurant.com/
- Phone: 5105262542
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm, Friday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm, Saturday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Wendy Brucker
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Rivoli Restaurant
Rivoli strives to be a hands on, moderately priced restaurant with simple and creative food, carefully selected wines and comfortable service in a warm and lively atmosphere. Rivoli’s distinction comes from the heart and soul of its owners and staff. The menu relies on what is seasonal, local and fresh, using mostly organic produce, sustainably caught fish and naturally raised meats and poultry. The wines are selected for their affinity with the food, and offer the best values from the cooler regions of California and the Old World. The dining room staff provides friendly and attentive service and the chefs and cooks are skilled artisans of their craft.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
- Diners' Choice WinnerCalifornian
Rivoli Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Berkeley ›
Rivoli Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
211 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (153)neighborhood gem (150)special occasion (149)romantic (94)notable wine list (51)scenic view (28)good for groups (11)hot spot (11)late-night find (5)kid-friendly (3)great for outdoor dining (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Rivali is Berkeley's best!Bompa4Dined on 10/17/2014This small charming restaurant has been a long-time favorite with locals. As visitors to the area, we made reservations over a month ahead for the four of us. Staff was friendly and our table was ready when we arrived so we didn't order drinks at the small bar near the entry. Waiter was informative and attentive and personable. Wine list is extensive and had several choices at each price point. And the food was outstanding! Don't miss their wonderful portobello mushroom fritter appetizer. It's been on the menu for many years and Now we know why! Breaded and sautéed with Parmesan cheese, a squeeze of lemon, and served over a lemon dressed arugula. Our entrees were equally impressive. And the dessert menu has something for everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- spectacular food ,cozy atmospherePhyllisSteinDined on 10/13/2014What a beautiful dining room-small with spare and elegant decor with one glass wall overlooking a verdant garden. Very efficient service with outstanding and interesting dishes. I particularly recommend the cheese platter for dessert, served with warm toasted cranberry walnut bread and three different cheeses.Special Features:
- Mom's birthdaylovesgoodfoodDined on 10/12/2014Rivoli is one of my favorite restaurants so I chose it for Mom's 91st birthday celebration. We all enjoyed our meals and the excellent service. My only disappointment was the menu change as a few of us were looking forward to the duck breast and short ribs, but the risotto was delicious. Thank you for a memorable evening and we'll be back!Special Features:
- Excellent AgainrutoyoutooDined on 10/12/2014Flawless service (thank you Tiffany!) Very, very, good food. What more can I say. This was our 2nd time at Rivoli and it was excellent, again. We'll be back.Special Features:
- Elegant diningJockomoDined on 10/11/2014Rivoli is an elegant place to relax over a well presented and flavorful meal. The dining area is attractive and looks out on a beautiful garden. The food is excellent and noise level quiet enough for conversation. I recommend Rivoli for a romantic date or for a special dinner with friends. Staff is warm and friendly and service top notch.Special Features:
- My favorite restaurant in Berkeley!foodiegrandmaDined on 10/10/2014I have been a fan of Wendy's for years, and it's always a treat to eat there. The portabella mushroom fritters are required eating, as is the hot fudge sundae (you can ask for a half sundae if the regular is too much). In between are delicious entrees (think Tuscan roast chicken with truffles) and always a vegetarian entree as well. Ask for a table by the window so you can look out at the delicious dinner. If you go on Saturday or Sunday, Wendy will be in the kitchen!Special Features:
- OutstandingWellingtonianDined on 10/9/2014We can't wait to go back. The menu changes every three weeks, so we'll plan for the next rotation. Everything our group of four chose was phenomenal, perfectly cooked, beautifully seasoned. Great atmosphere, acoustics allow you to hear each other without disturbing nearby tables. Reservations are a must.Special Features:
- Rivoli's the best!luv2dineoutDined on 10/9/2014We have been to Rivoli before, but it had been a while. My husband requested we go there for his birthday. We were totally thrilled with the meal from the first bite to the last. Started with Jerusalem artichoke soup and the Belgian endive and arugula salad -- both were heavenly. He ordered Tuscan chicken and I ordered salmon. Not only was the main entree delicious -- but those sides were to die for! Though stuffed we ended the meal with a chocolate brioche bread pudding that didn't disappoint. The glass wall -- which is what always brings us back to this spot -- overlooks a beautiful garden. Our waiter (DNR name) was great. A lovely birthday dinner we won't soon forget. Truly a neighborhood gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best dining experiencesTeddVIPDined on 10/8/2014This was my third dinner at Rivoli. The menu offers wonderful choices, each superbly prepared and presented. If you can request James as your waiter he is exceptional! Justin, the bartender, provides a warm, friendly welcome with very attentive service. The dining room has great site lines and overlooks a lovely serene garden.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/7/2014Very nice that when they found out it was my husband's birthday (when I said we had birthday cake at home for dessert) someone brought over a discreet candle that was festive but not publicly embarrassing. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprisingly good ItalianHalpVIPDined on 10/7/2014Enjoyed the portabella appetizer though if ordering, expect portabella fries instead of what is listed.Special Features:
- disappointed in servicerodrokit13VIPDined on 10/5/2014sat around for a good 10 minutes before host finally stopped by and asked rather lamely if we had any questions. well, gee whiz, I might like some glasses and my bottle of wine opened, and by the way is anyone waiting my table? waiter when he did arrive was a walking cadaver as far as personality and was rather rude to my wife while answering questions. been going here for close to 10 years, so great food as always, but way off on the service. too bad, won't go back for a long time. can't recommend to anyone any more.Special Features:
- Loved it allRosiesbDined on 10/4/2014We had read positive reviews in tripadvisor and yelp. We were a little late for our reservation and they were very understanding and told us a quick place to park. My husband and I were taking our Berkeley student to dinner and he was very excited when he walked in. the place was lovely , the big glass wall and the view of the trees. Eventhough we were late they never rushed us. My son had noted how great the service was and that it really added to his dining experience. The food was great, the wine was nice and the dessert was the perfect finish to the evening. Our waitress was great. we will come back again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent restaurantEnjoysGoodFoodDined on 10/4/2014We've been here several times with different people. It's always been an enjoyable evening, but I think this time was the BEST ever. EVERYTHING was delicious! We had a waiter that we've had before, and he took very good care of us. We were seated by the window wall that looks out onto a very private, calming, exquisite garden. And the food was EXCEPTIONAL. A lovely evening.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/3/2014Always love this restaurant! Food is exceptional. Added bonus, every time we have Tiffany as our server we know we are in good hands! Very attentive and so friendly.Special Features:
- Birthday celebrationederfan1Dined on 10/2/2014Our friend absolutely loves this restaurant. Says it's her favorite. We take her there to celebrate her birthday. But probably would not choose it ourselves. I'm hard of hearing and this place is too noisy.Special Features:
- Very disappointedOaklandMamaFoodieDined on 9/27/2014The 2 appetizers and the 2 entrees we ordered fell short--each one of them. We went here for our anniversary and had to go to a local favorite down the street for dessert in order to end the evening on a positive note. The food or the service wasn't bad, it just wasn't good--at all. I would absolutely not recommend this restaurant to anyone who enjoys a quality meal.
- Bravo, Rivoli!OpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 9/27/2014I don't get to dine at Rivoli often enough, but every one of my visits has been a delicious and memorable experience. Once again, my dining companion and I were (almost) speechless in our praise of every item we ate -- the starters we shared were superb, and each of us had a main course of which we ate every single molecule (and we would have stabbed our server's hand with a fork had he tried to remove a plate that wasn't empty!) We shared a truly astonishing dessert and if we hadn't thought it would make us conspicuous, MIGHT have licked the plate clean. Keep up the good work, people ... I will go back next time I want to enjoy a truly outstanding meal on Solano!Special Features:
- Consistently satisfyingJbfoodieDined on 9/27/2014Consistently very fine and original food. They take chances gastronomically, which is cool, yet all the food is comfortably tasty. Out of the Chez Panisse tradition, they are farm to table and adjust their menu accordingly every 3 weeks, which us very impressive to me. Their wine list deserves mention for variety and affordability. The service is good enough to solid, and pleasingly authentic and unpretentious. The room is pleasant and the noise level reasonably quiet. Simply said, you get what you pay for with some delightful upsides. This is a place where real modest people eat really good food. Fresh, fresh and respectful of ingredients! Delicious time and time again without breaking the bank. Kudos Rivoli!Special Features:
- Good food, service less soMarcellaDined on 9/23/2014As always, I enjoy the food at Rivoli very much. The scallops were cooked to perfection. Love the small room with the view of the garden. Yes, as has been true of our last three visits, the service leaves much to be desired. You have to flag down the waiters at virtually every step of the meal. Long waits between courses. Difficult to get their attention. Just inattentive and sloppy overall. It's too bad; I would go more often but my irritation at the slow and sporadic service annoys me and makes me enjoy the meal less.Special Features:
- So accomodatingbetsyDined on 9/19/2014The employees here were just wonderful, would do just about anything to make our dinner perfect!!!Special Features:
- Great foodAlibabaDined on 9/16/2014I rarely enjoy restaurant food but liked this placeSpecial Features:
- Excellent RestaurantPleasantondinersDined on 9/16/2014The menu is varied but not extensive. The food is unique with fabulous flavors.Special Features:
- Always excellentNancyDined on 9/13/2014I've been going to Rivoli for many years and find it to be as reliable as ever with excellent food and service. Keep up the good work.Special Features:
- Great Neighborhood GemDinerproDined on 9/13/2014We love Rivoli! Great ambiance with the special little garden, wonderful food and wine, and terrific service. We frequent it often and it never disappoints. Plus, you can actually hear yourselves in conversation even on a Saturday night when the place is packed. It's just great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JanSDined on 9/12/2014We had a lovely evening meal at Rivoli for our weekly TGIF and plan to be there again soon. Thanks
- A long-time favoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/12/2014We just went for our anniversary - again. We have shared many special occasions there and find ourselves returning, after 25 years.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- consistent and deliciousfreshfoodloverDined on 9/10/2014Rivoli's is a special occasion restaurant for our family. It varies from excellent to very good, and never dips below that. I love the attention to detail. The simple salad I started with was composed of absolutely fresh greens lightly dressed in a perfect vinaigrette...just right! Wonderful, interesting sides with the entrees. We'll be back!Special Features:
- Outstanding food and serviceredMeatDined on 9/6/2014Romantic ambiance. Our third visit and a very consistent dining experience.Special Features:
- Delicious, interesting good!Sar56Dined on 9/3/2014Small menu but it changes ever coule of weeks. Great food and the service is phenomenal. A bit pricey but worth the cost for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- beyond expectationsdinnerinBerkeleyDined on 9/1/2014We confused our Open Table reservation date and arrived to celebrate our wedding anniversary to find that they were completely full. Though the confusion was completely my mistake, the manager and hostess were really apologetic that they couldn't seat us. When we came back two days later for our reserved dinner, they greeted us warmly, sat us at the most private table scattered with "happy anniversary" cut outs and a great view of the garden. They comped us a taste of the delicious corn soup. The food was flawless, wonderful quality and creatively prepared and the service was attentive. We had a wonderful evening and especially appreciated their caring attitude. It was a perfect experience in every way. Thanks, Rivoli!Special Features:
- As usual, Rivoli was greatWhymeVIPDined on 8/30/2014We make it to Rivoli from time to time. We have always enjoyed the food. The service is first rate, and the atmosphere is very lively.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice local spotroadman3313Dined on 8/30/2014Small intimate dining room. Menu changes every few weeks to take advantage of fresh ingredients. Friendly staff. Meal tasted excellent. Prices were decent for a special occasion. I will be back for certain in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food!!!Suni123Dined on 8/28/2014We went for our son's birthday, I informed them we were coming to celebrate. When we arrived, the table was decorated with birthday sprinkles that looked very nice. We are vegetarians and they had enough options for us to really enjoy the dinner. Food was amazing and they surprised by delivering the dessert with a candle for my son, that was very nice too!. I definitely recommend Rivoli for their amazing food and an equally amazing and caring service!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- teamk1966teamk1966Dined on 8/28/2014Went for anniversary with wife, hadn't been in years. Food and service were better than ever. Portabella mushroom appetizer still the best in the area. Main dishes were excellent as well as the lemon cheesecake with blueberries. Food was fresh, flavorful and enjoyable. Service team had Happy Anniversary confetti on our table and were very attentive. Finally, prices here are very reasonable compared with similar places with this quality of food. We will be back again.Special Features:
- Our favorite restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/26/2014For my husband's birthday this year I was determined to find someplace other than Rivoli, our stand-by for all special occasions. But after spending time looking at menus on-line, nothing was as good, or as reasonable. Once again, our family had the perfect meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/24/2014The food was fabulous - presentation and content. The hospitality was superb. The atmosphere was upbeat and fun. Do not pass up dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing RestaurantfoodiefabulousDined on 8/23/2014We celebrated my husbands 50th Birthday. The service was impeccable, the ambience just delightful, the food, well insanely delicious would be a good description. Everything was perfect..highly recommend Rivoli any time for an amazing dining experience. 5 stars Thank youSpecial Features:
- Birthday celebrationBaltofoodieDined on 8/22/2014Wonderful service and surprise decorations for a birthday celebration at a requested table overlooking the garden. Phenomenal salmon. Wine steward took exceptional care with the cork on a very good bottle of wine.Special Features:
- Not quite up to its past reputationUCity63Dined on 8/21/2014We were expecting to have a really great meal at Rivoli's, after seeing The 100 ft. Journey. It was so-so. Our waiter was extremely slow in coming to our table. We had inordinately long waits for cocktails, bread being brought, food coming, etc. The artichoke soup was tasty, as was the prawn appetizer. Salmon main course was good, but the pork chop entree was tough and would have had no taste w/o the jus. Bland corn pudding tasted like canned corn. The usually excellent hot fudge sundae came without whipped cream and too little ice cream, which was partly melted, and an over abundance of nuts. It had been perhaps waiting too long on the counter, and someone was definitely unclear on the concept of a hot fudge sundae.