10 & 30 South Wacker Drive
Chicago, IL 60606Neighborhood:
Downtown / Loop
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.riversrestaurant.com/
- Phone: (312) 559-1515
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast Monday-Friday 7am to 10 am. Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday: 4:00pm - 9:30pm, Saturday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm Sundays 5-8 on opera performance days only.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, American
- Executive Chef: Ivan Fonseca
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Semi-private & outdoor patio accommodations available. We have also opened a new Wine Bar with Private rooms available. Feel free to contact Dan Letcher at 708-299-9255
- Private Party Contact: Dan Letcher 3125591515
A word from Rivers
Rivers, located on the lobby level of The Chicago Mercantile Exchange Building, is one of the Chicago Loop's most popular restaurants. Rivers offers creative, seasonally changing contemporary American cuisine with influences from around the globe. Rivers is an all occasion venue featuring a relaxed yet upscale dining room & a large outdoor deck for alfresco dining during warm weather months. Rivers is the perfect place for a business lunch, or for meeting friends after work for happy hour drinks or dinner. It's next-door proximity to the Civic Opera House, as well as all downtown theaters makes Rivers an excellent pre-theatre choice before the show begins. The United Center is also close by & Rivers is an ideal "first stop" for meeting friends for a Bulls or Hawks game. Please note: Rivers Restaurant does not take reservations online for parties larger than 9. Please call the restaurant for details.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Rivers reviews from OpenTable diners
193 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (78)great for outdoor dining (75)scenic view (66)good for groups (51)special occasion (37)fit for foodies (31)neighborhood gem (23)vibrant bar scene (17)romantic (16)hot spot (14)notable wine list (8)great for brunch (7)late-night find (6)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- Fabulous experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 11/22/2014Rivers worked out very well for us. I was meeting my sister who came into Union Station and had a 3 hour layover. We walked over to Rivers and had an exceptional meal. We both had the Lobster fettuccini. It was the best. We also had plenty of time to have a good visit and enjoy the scenery.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MarciaDined on 11/18/2014Awkward seating. I was asked to move my chair so people could get between my back and the woman behind me. We asked to be moved to a table that was not a traffic aisle and were told there was no availability, although at that time the place was about 1/4 full, and I had made a reservation weeks in advance. Noisy; had to shout to converse, We've eaten here before the opera for years, but next time we'll choose some place else.
- Favorite pre-opera destinationCloverMayVIPDined on 11/17/2014The server was knowledgeable about the menu, respectful of our time restraints before the opera and very professional. The menu if varied and the selections were very good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine DiningMatsiDined on 11/15/2014This is my favorite restaurant to dine at before the opera. The staff is welcoming & accomodating. The location is convenient. The food is always delicious.Special Features:
- Good business lunch spotPhisinphoolVIPDined on 11/14/2014Good west Loop location, food came quick, and was tasty.the server was properly attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JBNZWDined on 11/14/2014Always great good, excellent ambiance, attentive servers. Outdoor patio is wonderful in summer. A consistent favorite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Convenient, efficient, not too expensivefoodhappyguyVIPDined on 11/13/2014Great spot for a work lunch, very fast service, staff doesn't get in your way much. Couple of times, it seems to me that the lunch specials were pre-cooked and not made to order.... maybe that's to be expected, but I still like the place for convenience, speed, etc.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awful service!!!:(ABdiningoutVIPDined on 11/11/2014Our server was the absolute worst! He was NEVER around & we had to ask for silverware, water, napkins, etc.!:( Also had a to-go order & he lied & said it was in the bag when it wasn't!!:( Good thing I happened to check it!! My gosh. The mgr was nice! She took care of it for us & apologized. She would be the ONLY reason I'd go back because she handled it correctly-just waiters are Hispanic barely speak English!! That's NOT the way it should be at a restaurant like that!!! They screwed up 1 order because I don't think thru understood! Really?!! I don't mind of they "get it", but the guy was NEVER around & then lied abt a to-go order & forgot my soup:( NOT a way to get customers to come back!!! Very dissapointment! Took forever to get our food
- Great FindsusanmfVIPDined on 11/10/2014Found this gem on Open Table - great location - close to Palmer House. Inside office complex but right on the river. Nice menu and excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/9/2014I recommended Rivers to my sister for dinner after the opera. Previously, my husband and I had been to Rivers a number of time. However, this time was different and I was very disappointed. I ordered Tomato Tortilla soup and received Lobster Bisque. The Caesar salad was rather tasteless. There was no garlic or anchovy which I believe make /or add greatly to this classic. Also, no fresh pepper was offered for soup or salad. In general, I was terribly disappointed to have recommended Rivers for my guest. Madeline W/Special Features:
- Good place for lunchTravel2EatVIPDined on 11/5/2014The food is good and it is convenient to the opera. Service is efficient.Special Features:
- keep coming backElizabethVIPDined on 10/30/2014I've been here for dinner several times. We've been here when the weather was warm and we sat outside, and when the weather was inclement and we sat inside by the windows. Always a pleasant atmosphere. Extra bonus: I like the choice of the bistro menu. Sometimes a full dinner is just too much. Staff is always great - no matter how busy they are attentive.Special Features:
- Lunch with a ClientOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/30/2014The service was awesome! The food was delicious. Also, I know this may sound unimportant, but I appreciate that the butter was softened. Too often I go to fine dining restaurants and they bring out a bread basket with cold butter. It's usually too cold to spread. That's a small detail that many overlook. Overall I had a great experience and my client liked it too. It was his first time there. I will be back.Special Features:
- RIVERSDallasDined on 10/29/2014We had a great dining experience, food excellent with great service.Special Features:
- ScramblerDined on 10/29/2014I thought that we were going to be able to order from the bistro menu,but that was only if we were in the bar. I did not know that reservations were only for the dining room , not the bistro. The food was good ,but since we were going to the opera for3 1/2 hours, we did not want a big meal. The appetizers were fine and we enjoyed the food. I would like a booth the next time, and the hostess made a note of it for our next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for business lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/29/2014A bit hard to hear, but the food and service level were perfect for a lively business discussion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Becoming disappointingChicagoTomVIPDined on 10/28/2014Rivers seems to be gently sliding downhill recently. The fish - remember the name of the restaurant! - has been mediocre. Our tuna entree this evening was of moderate quality and served blackened without being advertised as such. A beet salad had few and small slices of beet topped by a copious amount of fork-resistant frisee. The waiters cleared the table aggressively, as if it was needed and we were in the way. Perhaps this was just one evening of disappointing parts, because experience says Rivers is capable of much better. The west river edge of the loop needs good restaurants. Rivers should be leading the pack.
- Too many optionsKingPinDined on 10/28/2014This place would be way more appealing if the host and staff were pleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/27/2014outstanding food and service and great for opera goersSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/27/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our dinner before the opera.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014We have been going to Rivers for many years. They always service exceptional food. The service is outstanding. We have never had a bad meal there.Special Features:
- Fun Night & FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/24/2014We had a great time at Rivers as we usually do. Food was delicious & service was from the moment we entered until we left.Special Features:
- Great food and ServiceOperaFanVIPDined on 10/22/2014AS usual Rivers was ready with a smile and great service. The service was great and the food better. I love this place for a wonderful meal and a short walk across the street to the Lyric Opera.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014I went here for my 5 year anniversary, and the place was great. Clean, delightful, and service was so nice. The food looked fantastic, and it tasted delicious as well. The place was very accommodating, and fulfilled specific request which really pleased me. I will definitely be back again, and recommending this place to others! Looking forward during warmer weather to sit outside on the deck.Special Features:
- lilyDined on 10/17/2014the food is very good and fast. I would go back again next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fit for opera buffsBFC15VIPDined on 10/17/2014A perfect spot for pre-opera dining. We were on our way to Don Giovanni, and Rivers fit out bill. It's directly across the street from Lyric, the food is delicious, the service is strong. We don't worry about missing the curtain. We had a fine time at Rivers--and at Don Giovanni.Special Features:
- MenuOpquaeDined on 10/17/2014Overall experience was good. However, the presentation of the "Specials" was deceitful. It was presented without the prices. Was this intentional or an oversight? It created an akaward situtation where we had to ask the price. It should be made clear up front, good transparency is a good business/PR tool. You operate in a competetive enviroment so you should do the best to keep your base. I plan to visit tonight with some friends. I hope this matter is addressed. If this practice continues, you will lose me and friends. Thank You.Special Features:
- Very cool restaurant with energy!MrMJDined on 10/16/2014My first visit to this restaurant was to meet a client for lunch. It is a very nice place with energy and a good vibe. I will be back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable but stuffedAnthonyDined on 10/16/2014If you are looking for a place to take a group of people, I recommend Rivers for being able to accommodate a group. I had the crab cakes with a great sauce that left a fulfilling taste in my mouth. The service made the dinning experience.Special Features:
- gREAT FOR PRE OPERA DININGCorlissDined on 10/15/2014rIVERS IS A GREAT SPOT FOR DINING BEFORE THE lYRIC oPERA ACROSS THE STREET. bEWILDERING WHY THEY DO NOT AHVE A SIGN OUTSIDE THE BUILDING ON wACKER dRIVE THOUGH TO LET PEOPLE KNOW THEY ARE THERE!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BJHazDined on 10/13/2014Great place for a business lunch. Good food, quick service.Special Features:
- OperaTackVIPDined on 10/11/2014There is only one place to go before the opera: Rivers!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing dinnerDLTGVIPDined on 10/9/2014This was not the first time we have eaten at Rivers so I was expecting better. The salad was very good. I ordered the special Rainbow trout. The trout was good but a very small portion for the price. The trout was served on a bed of mashed potatoes which were lukewarm as were the accompanying vegetables. The tomato sauce surrounding the potatoes tasted like tomato soup from a can. My husband's scallops were good, but his vegetables were also cold.
- food and viewkenkDined on 10/7/2014Great food and great patio on the river. Inside is a bit dated.Special Features:
- gudseafudDined on 10/6/2014Good fish and seafood. Seafood ravioli is a standout. Our server was great
- Great Summer SpotDCPlannerDined on 10/4/2014This restaurant has a lovely terrace overlooking the river in downtown Chicago. This is a large venue and a favorite spot for parties and weddings. Great wine list and excellent food. We were there on a Saturday night in the fall and it wasn't very lively, more of a summer outdoor dining spot. However, the food made up for the lack of activity.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RiversYRSTRULYVIPDined on 10/3/2014Although there is a huge lunch crowd , Rivers is a terrific place for lunch before a performance of the Chicago Lyric Opera on matinee days.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- vamuchDined on 10/2/2014Very good food and service. Located vey close to the Lyric, thus convenient as well after the show.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lov2dineDined on 10/2/2014Great food and save room for desserts! Service could be better.Special Features:
- DisappointedTonyWaymanDined on 9/30/2014The atmosphere is great, dark woods and impressive paintings. Service was prompt and very friendly. We were going to the Lyric Opera, so the location was perfect. However, the food was of variable quality. The appetizer, seafood ravioli, while not truly ravioli, more seafood with pasta laid over it, was outstanding. However, for the main dishes the scallops were not seared, but fried. And the risotto was the worst I have ever had, more a dish of so-so rice, no creamy thick rice. This seems like an after work on Wacker drinks place and restaurant for opera goers. I would return only to sit outside during the summer and have a drink and that "ravioli" by the river.Special Features: