10 & 30 South Wacker Drive
Chicago, IL 60606Neighborhood:
Downtown / Loop
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.riversrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 3125591515
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast Monday-Friday 7am to 10 am. Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday: 4:00pm - 9:30pm, Saturday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm Sundays 5-8 on opera performance days only.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, American
- Executive Chef: Ivan Fonseca
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Semi-private & outdoor patio accommodations available. We have also opened a new Wine Bar with Private rooms available. Feel free to contact Dan Letcher at 708-299-9255
- Private Party Contact: Dan Letcher 3125591515
A word from Rivers
Rivers, located on the lobby level of The Chicago Mercantile Exchange Building, is one of the Chicago Loop's most popular restaurants. Rivers offers creative, seasonally changing contemporary American cuisine with influences from around the globe. Rivers is an all occasion venue featuring a relaxed yet upscale dining room & a large outdoor deck for alfresco dining during warm weather months. Rivers is the perfect place for a business lunch, or for meeting friends after work for happy hour drinks or dinner. It's next-door proximity to the Civic Opera House, as well as all downtown theaters makes Rivers an excellent pre-theatre choice before the show begins. The United Center is also close by & Rivers is an ideal "first stop" for meeting friends for a Bulls or Hawks game. Please note: Rivers Restaurant does not take reservations online for parties larger than 9. Please call the restaurant for details.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Rivers reviews from OpenTable diners
157 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (92)great for outdoor dining (89)scenic view (75)good for groups (53)fit for foodies (25)special occasion (21)vibrant bar scene (17)hot spot (14)neighborhood gem (13)romantic (10)great for brunch (8)notable wine list (6)late-night find (4)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- First ImpressionsOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/27/2014The New York strip and the filet mignon each had pretty decent sides (potatoes and some kind of vegetable), but the same could not be said for the meat. The filet was ordered medium rare, but came back medium, and it tasted excessively charred. The lack of flavor didn't help, but that was on account of my wife not wanting the red wine reduction that would have come with the order. My strip steak was a little tough, but it was ordered rare. Disclosure: We're more of a fan of the pan-seared-then-roasted method of cooking. There were no screaming children. Coupled with the outstanding service, Rivers has those things going for it, which is nice.Special Features:
- Very Good RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/27/2014Excellent food. Their duck is very good but so are their other dishes. Have been going there for years, and always satisfied.Special Features:
- Great menu - Great food!PugnaciousVIPDined on 9/26/2014Meals made from scratch as they should be. Corn chowder and scallops with asiago cheese were delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and service.ChicagodinerDined on 9/26/2014I have dined here many times, with colleagues and also with my family. My favorite is still the steak salad and the seabass. We love all the seafood entrees.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always GoodChicagoGalDined on 9/23/2014I've eaten here several times for work occasions/business meetings/interviews. Have really never had a bad meal or a bad experience. Just had breakfast here recently and didn't realize they serve breakfast. Had some great cinnamon french toast and my co-worker had an omlette which she said was great. Good service too. When it's warm out, ask to sit outside and you'll have a great view of the Chicago river.Special Features:
- FeedbackVIPDined on 9/19/2014Great view of river from outdoor patio totally RUINED by patrons allowed to smoke. Who wants to eat there and risk the health hazard of toxic cigarette smoke is blowing in your face and and in your mouth? Smoking on patio puts nonsmoking patrons at risk of cancer & other serious diseases. Secondhand smoke has 7000+ chemicals -100s that are toxic & about 70 that can cause cancer. Every major health organization agree that there is no safe level of secondhand smoke.Special Features:
- Opera gemMackDined on 9/18/2014Going to the Lyric? Perfect place for dinner and/or drinks before or after the opera. It's across the street. Scallops are fantastic. You won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TerribleTravelerVIPDined on 9/16/2014Duck unavailable because restaurant next door took the meat. Food was cold and had to be sent back. Order was incorrect. Server did not keep tabs on what was needed such as a knife to cut the slightly overlooked steak. This was one of the worst dining experiences I have ever had. I have eaten here many times but will not return again. It has declined substantially.
- Classy but not superficialBellaDined on 9/12/2014A great place to lunch with collegues, nice location and friendly staff. It is a classy place but it still has the friendly atmosphere among diners and the server are very friendly. The food was good, I hjad the sokeyed salmon and it was fantastic. Will definitely go there again for lunch.Special Features:
- My business lunch standbyRDCPADined on 9/10/2014This is a standby for me on business lunches in the loop. The food is always very good and service has always been good also.Special Features:
- Great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/5/2014First time visit, it was wonderful! The weiter was very friendly helping with our selection with wine and food! I already book my return with my costumers for intarteining them. The parking was free for the first 2 hrs. I strong recommend it!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/4/2014Always good for lunch....great outside patio. Too noisy inside to have meaningful,lunch conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for Business LunchHWJohnDined on 9/3/2014Great Loop location which is great for business lunches.Special Features:
- Breakfast meetingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/27/2014Perfect environment for a breakfast meeting. Fantastic service!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great patioGEgal15Dined on 8/21/2014If you want dinner or just drinks and appetizers after work - this is a great place to go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The only flaw was the noise!SteveDined on 8/7/2014Our server was informed, attentive and entertains with a very pleasant personal humor. But the food was, as always, fantastic! Our party had salads (charred beef salad...the best!), fish (tuna), beef tenderloin, and everyone loved every bite. It's a pretty loud lunch place, but you can't find a better meal...did I mention the chicken/andouille gumbo? Incredibly good, with the perfect amount of kick and flavor!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but slow serviceMaksimDined on 7/30/2014This place serves good fine food, with nicely decorated portions and quite tasty. The service was quite slow and even become a bit rude toward the end of our visit (around 7pm), spilling water and serving over guest private space. It is still one of the biggest places available around office, was good for our group of 8 colleagues from an office even on late notice, and not that pricey.
- River StyxcasualnommerDined on 7/28/2014The souls of many lost dishes float alongside the patio as a reminder of what could have been. Lackluster service on a Monday evening with little rush and bland food at exorbitant prices.
- klydoDined on 7/25/2014great for happy hour our early dinner, enjoy during the summerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great seafood and cocktailsScarletDined on 7/25/2014I had the calamari and scallops appetizer. It was cooked to perfection . The seafood was perfect. Cocktails were mixed well. Everyone at the table was pleased.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for work lunchjsovikingDined on 7/24/2014Had a large group (12) for lunch. Food was well prepared. Service had a few slight misses, but overall a decent meal. Good enough for business lunches.Special Features:
- Normally reliable and goodwayfoVIPDined on 7/23/2014Probably an off day. Food came out so fast, you'd think it was sitting there already wiating for someone to want it... and tasted like it. House salad was overdressed and the raosted corn soup that is normally delicious was quickly room temparature and soon congealed slightly. Not at all what I've accustomed to from this restaurant. Presume it was an off day. Let's hope so becusae otherwise it's a disappointing turn as it's always been reliable and delicious and in the past.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never received lunch!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/23/2014I made lunch reservations at Rivers nearly two weeks prior to dining there. Upon arrival we were promptly seated. Since my friend and I had already viewed the menu prior to visiting we ordered immediately after being seated. I chose a fish dish and my friend requested the veggie sandwich. Nearly 40 minutes later our food still had not arrived, yet everyone around us had already eaten! I found the server and informed him that we planned to leave. He responded that they were busy with people on the patio. Luckily the manager overheard the exchange. The manager apologized and provided us with gift cards for a future visit. I've been to Rivers a few times before and NEVER experienced such treatment. I was extremely disappointed.
- Poor ServiceunhappyDined on 7/23/2014Our party of 5 sat down for lunch at 11:45 a.m.m we received a basket of bread and nothing else. Asked for water 1/2 later and 45 minutes we asked the hostess for our waiter so he could take the order. So it took 1 1/4 hours just to order a salad for lunch! Once ordered, someone else brought us our salads, and we never saw the waiter again until we had to find him for our bill.
- Great Business LunchDonnaHVIPDined on 7/22/2014This is a great spot for a business lunch. The waiters are very attentive and the food is delishSpecial Features:
- Good FoodlunchtimeDined on 7/18/2014Nice spot for an outdoor lunch with friends or cowrokersSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Inside vs OutsideZooMomDined on 7/17/2014The outside bar area is great if you get there early enough to snag a seat or table. It can be a bit loud. Male bartenders in general are A LOT more attentive than the female ones. People watching opps won't disappoint! Inside bar was excellent. Bartenders were entertaining and quick to serve. Inside dining, once we found someone to seat us, was awesome. Our server was great, very attentive, and she had a great knowledge of the menu and wine list!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointedfood4soulDined on 7/16/2014Met old friends for lunch at what we hoped would be a scenic spot on the river. The scenery did not disappoint. Unfortunately, the service was aloof - our waiter and other staff walked by our table several times without us being able to get their attention to get coffee refills - and the food was mediocre at best. The Chicken Cesar Salad was drab, the Sweet Potato Ravioli was barely room temperature and the cappuccino was 3/4 foam. I would not return or recommend it to anyone.Special Features:
- I requested a quiet area.meetDined on 7/15/2014Arrived early, staff seated us in an area easy to hold a conversation in; made for a successful meeting over a healthy salad. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!ChicagoGalDined on 7/11/2014Came here for lunch with a friend on a Friday and was seated right away - got to sit outside right on the river on a gorgeous day so I was thrilled. The food was great - they even gave me a free fruit sorbet dessert because they gave me the wrong type of noodeles with my entree (which wasn't a big deal, and I was thrilled to get a free dessert). I've eaten here for lunch at least 10 times and have always had a great experience, except for one time when they were overly busy and we had slow service. My only complaint is that some menu items seem overpriced. I usually get the same dish that has pasta and chicken, and it's $17.95 which seems a bit high for just noodles and some sliced pieces of chicken breast.Special Features:
- Great loop restaurantChicagodinerDined on 7/10/2014This is one of my favorite Loop restaurants. Everything on the menu is good. Love the steak salad (only at lunch) and all the seafood entrees. The desserts are well presented and delicious. We usually share the chocolate cheesecake, it is too rich for one person. Nice atmosphere, ask for a booth or table with river view. Romantic and relaxed in the evening but also great for small group. Leave your children at home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food, indifferent serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/9/2014I took my mom and my daughter here for a pre-matinee lunch. We had an 11:30 reservation, and were seated promptly. The food was very good. I think from the moment we ordered iced teas instead of cocktails, though, the waiter lost interest. I do not expect to be fawned over, especially during lunch rush at a busy downtown spot, but the man's tone short to on the verge of surly. The bussing staff was right on their game though. So I think I have a problem with just one guy. The music was a little loud too -- I know where to ask to be seated in the places I frequent to accommodate aging ears, and possibly had we sat inside we would have done better Outside they've got speakers at regular intervals and there just isn't any escaping it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Nice Bar, Creative MenuHollyH2Dined on 7/7/2014Try the halibut! It was outstanding served with capers, artichoke hearts - done to perfection. We had 3 appetizers, the artichoke fritters, scallops (to die for) and teh Tuna Poke (tuna tartar) and they were all good! Great neighborhood spot - just the right size and outdoor dining to boot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great patiocab4dayzDined on 7/1/2014The margherita pizza and shrimp bruschetta were tasty. The chicken sandwich and burger were average. However, the main draw for us was the big patio where we could enjoy a couple glasses of wine. In this regard, it was perfect. The service was also good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for meetingsOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/1/2014I often meet clients and friends here for breakfast or lunch. Food and service are great and the noise level is good for conversations.Special Features:
- Great food, atmosphere and wineTruparksmomDined on 6/26/2014Rivers is nicely set along the river, with indoor and outdoor seating. The wine is priced well. Good for large groups or couples. Staff really accommodating and nice. Food was excellent. Salmon was outstanding. Good experience overall.Special Features:
- Outdoor dining for business lunchenjoygoodfoodDined on 6/25/2014We had a business lunch meeting and the weather was beautiful. We enjoyed sitting by the river and breathing the fresh air. Menu was varied....albeit surprised that our when asked about making some changes to a salad (removing fish but adding grilled vegetables to make this vegan) the waiter responded that is fine but there will be additional charge. I thought this was funny as there was no deduction for the fact that I didn't have the expensive sashimi tuna on the salad and only had a few brussel sprouts, mushrooms and beets added....which were individually added to the cost of the entire sashimi tuna salad. Oh well.Special Features:
- Great lunch spot!LisaCDined on 6/20/2014I've been coming here for business lunch quite often, service is consistently great and the food is delicious. The outdoor patio is awesome during warmer weather.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun after work eventhappyhourguruDined on 6/19/2014I reserved a table for a co-workers going away party. I wanted outdoor seating but it was first come first serve. I got to the restaurant before 4:30pm and there still wasn't any seats available on the patio. I was slightly disappointed however our table inside was a nice size where everyone was able to fit comfortably. We order various types of bar food and I enjoyed everything but the calamari. It was not fried hard enough and was very spongy. Overall the food was good, the drinks were delicious and the atmosphere was great. It turned out to be a very fun eveningSpecial Features:
- Even Breakfast is loudCdj60031VIPDined on 6/19/2014Food is good for breakfast and lunch. Have not been for dinner. The noise level acoustics are very loud. Go to for breakfast meetings. Server was a bit clueless. Overall good food and convenient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.