10 & 30 South Wacker Drive
Chicago, IL 60606Neighborhood:
Downtown / Loop
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.riversrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 3125591515
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast Monday-Friday 7am to 10 am. Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday: 4:00pm - 9:30pm, Saturday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm Sundays 5-8 on opera performance days only.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, American
- Executive Chef: Ivan Fonseca
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Semi-private & outdoor patio accommodations available. We have also opened a new Wine Bar with Private rooms available. Feel free to contact Dan Letcher at 708-299-9255
- Private Party Contact: Dan Letcher 3125591515
A word from Rivers
Rivers, located on the lobby level of The Chicago Mercantile Exchange Building, is one of the Chicago Loop's most popular restaurants. Rivers offers creative, seasonally changing contemporary American cuisine with influences from around the globe. Rivers is an all occasion venue featuring a relaxed yet upscale dining room & a large outdoor deck for alfresco dining during warm weather months. Rivers is the perfect place for a business lunch, or for meeting friends after work for happy hour drinks or dinner. It's next-door proximity to the Civic Opera House, as well as all downtown theaters makes Rivers an excellent pre-theatre choice before the show begins. The United Center is also close by & Rivers is an ideal "first stop" for meeting friends for a Bulls or Hawks game. Please note: Rivers Restaurant does not take reservations online for parties larger than 9. Please call the restaurant for details.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Rivers reviews from OpenTable diners
166 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (82)great for lunch (81)scenic view (69)good for groups (53)special occasion (25)fit for foodies (24)vibrant bar scene (20)hot spot (16)neighborhood gem (15)romantic (10)great for brunch (7)notable wine list (7)late-night find (6)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- fit for opera buffsBFC15VIPDined on 10/17/2014A perfect spot for pre-opera dining. We were on our way to Don Giovanni, and Rivers fit out bill. It's directly across the street from Lyric, the food is delicious, the service is strong. We don't worry about missing the curtain. We had a fine time at Rivers--and at Don Giovanni.Special Features:
- MenuOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014Overall experience was good. However, the presentation of the "Specials" was deceitful. It was presented without the prices. Was this intentional or an oversight? It created an akaward situtation where we had to ask the price. It should be made clear up front, good transparency is a good business/PR tool. You operate in a competetive enviroment so you should do the best to keep your base. I plan to visit tonight with some friends. I hope this matter is addressed. If this practice continues, you will lose me and friends. Thank You.Special Features:
- Very cool restaurant with energy!MrMJDined on 10/16/2014My first visit to this restaurant was to meet a client for lunch. It is a very nice place with energy and a good vibe. I will be back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable but stuffedAnthonyDined on 10/16/2014If you are looking for a place to take a group of people, I recommend Rivers for being able to accommodate a group. I had the crab cakes with a great sauce that left a fulfilling taste in my mouth. The service made the dinning experience.Special Features:
- gREAT FOR PRE OPERA DININGCorlissDined on 10/15/2014rIVERS IS A GREAT SPOT FOR DINING BEFORE THE lYRIC oPERA ACROSS THE STREET. bEWILDERING WHY THEY DO NOT AHVE A SIGN OUTSIDE THE BUILDING ON wACKER dRIVE THOUGH TO LET PEOPLE KNOW THEY ARE THERE!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BJHazDined on 10/13/2014Great place for a business lunch. Good food, quick service.Special Features:
- OperaTackVIPDined on 10/11/2014There is only one place to go before the opera: Rivers!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing dinnerDLTGVIPDined on 10/9/2014This was not the first time we have eaten at Rivers so I was expecting better. The salad was very good. I ordered the special Rainbow trout. The trout was good but a very small portion for the price. The trout was served on a bed of mashed potatoes which were lukewarm as were the accompanying vegetables. The tomato sauce surrounding the potatoes tasted like tomato soup from a can. My husband's scallops were good, but his vegetables were also cold.
- food and viewkenkDined on 10/7/2014Great food and great patio on the river. Inside is a bit dated.Special Features:
- gudseafudDined on 10/6/2014Good fish and seafood. Seafood ravioli is a standout. Our server was great
- Great Summer SpotDCPlannerDined on 10/4/2014This restaurant has a lovely terrace overlooking the river in downtown Chicago. This is a large venue and a favorite spot for parties and weddings. Great wine list and excellent food. We were there on a Saturday night in the fall and it wasn't very lively, more of a summer outdoor dining spot. However, the food made up for the lack of activity.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RiversYRSTRULYVIPDined on 10/3/2014Although there is a huge lunch crowd , Rivers is a terrific place for lunch before a performance of the Chicago Lyric Opera on matinee days.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- vamuchDined on 10/2/2014Very good food and service. Located vey close to the Lyric, thus convenient as well after the show.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lov2dineDined on 10/2/2014Great food and save room for desserts! Service could be better.Special Features:
- DisappointedTonyWaymanDined on 9/30/2014The atmosphere is great, dark woods and impressive paintings. Service was prompt and very friendly. We were going to the Lyric Opera, so the location was perfect. However, the food was of variable quality. The appetizer, seafood ravioli, while not truly ravioli, more seafood with pasta laid over it, was outstanding. However, for the main dishes the scallops were not seared, but fried. And the risotto was the worst I have ever had, more a dish of so-so rice, no creamy thick rice. This seems like an after work on Wacker drinks place and restaurant for opera goers. I would return only to sit outside during the summer and have a drink and that "ravioli" by the river.Special Features:
- First ImpressionsHappyEaterDined on 9/27/2014The New York strip and the filet mignon each had pretty decent sides (potatoes and some kind of vegetable), but the same could not be said for the meat. The filet was ordered medium rare, but came back medium, and it tasted excessively charred. The lack of flavor didn't help, but that was on account of my wife not wanting the red wine reduction that would have come with the order. My strip steak was a little tough, but it was ordered rare. Disclosure: We're more of a fan of the pan-seared-then-roasted method of cooking. There were no screaming children. Coupled with the outstanding service, Rivers has those things going for it, which is nice.Special Features:
- Very Good RestaurantNickDined on 9/27/2014Excellent food. Their duck is very good but so are their other dishes. Have been going there for years, and always satisfied.Special Features:
- Great menu - Great food!PugnaciousVIPDined on 9/26/2014Meals made from scratch as they should be. Corn chowder and scallops with asiago cheese were delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and service.ChicagodinerDined on 9/26/2014I have dined here many times, with colleagues and also with my family. My favorite is still the steak salad and the seabass. We love all the seafood entrees.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always GoodChicagoGalDined on 9/23/2014I've eaten here several times for work occasions/business meetings/interviews. Have really never had a bad meal or a bad experience. Just had breakfast here recently and didn't realize they serve breakfast. Had some great cinnamon french toast and my co-worker had an omlette which she said was great. Good service too. When it's warm out, ask to sit outside and you'll have a great view of the Chicago river.Special Features:
- FeedbackVIPDined on 9/19/2014Great view of river from outdoor patio totally RUINED by patrons allowed to smoke. Who wants to eat there and risk the health hazard of toxic cigarette smoke is blowing in your face and and in your mouth? Smoking on patio puts nonsmoking patrons at risk of cancer & other serious diseases. Secondhand smoke has 7000+ chemicals -100s that are toxic & about 70 that can cause cancer. Every major health organization agree that there is no safe level of secondhand smoke.Special Features:
- Opera gemMackDined on 9/18/2014Going to the Lyric? Perfect place for dinner and/or drinks before or after the opera. It's across the street. Scallops are fantastic. You won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TerribleTravelerVIPDined on 9/16/2014Duck unavailable because restaurant next door took the meat. Food was cold and had to be sent back. Order was incorrect. Server did not keep tabs on what was needed such as a knife to cut the slightly overlooked steak. This was one of the worst dining experiences I have ever had. I have eaten here many times but will not return again. It has declined substantially.
- Classy but not superficialBellaDined on 9/12/2014A great place to lunch with collegues, nice location and friendly staff. It is a classy place but it still has the friendly atmosphere among diners and the server are very friendly. The food was good, I hjad the sokeyed salmon and it was fantastic. Will definitely go there again for lunch.Special Features:
- My business lunch standbyRDCPADined on 9/10/2014This is a standby for me on business lunches in the loop. The food is always very good and service has always been good also.Special Features:
- Great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/5/2014First time visit, it was wonderful! The weiter was very friendly helping with our selection with wine and food! I already book my return with my costumers for intarteining them. The parking was free for the first 2 hrs. I strong recommend it!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/4/2014Always good for lunch....great outside patio. Too noisy inside to have meaningful,lunch conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for Business LunchHWJohnDined on 9/3/2014Great Loop location which is great for business lunches.Special Features:
- Breakfast meetingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/27/2014Perfect environment for a breakfast meeting. Fantastic service!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great patioGEgal15Dined on 8/21/2014If you want dinner or just drinks and appetizers after work - this is a great place to go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The only flaw was the noise!SteveDined on 8/7/2014Our server was informed, attentive and entertains with a very pleasant personal humor. But the food was, as always, fantastic! Our party had salads (charred beef salad...the best!), fish (tuna), beef tenderloin, and everyone loved every bite. It's a pretty loud lunch place, but you can't find a better meal...did I mention the chicken/andouille gumbo? Incredibly good, with the perfect amount of kick and flavor!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but slow serviceMaksimDined on 7/30/2014This place serves good fine food, with nicely decorated portions and quite tasty. The service was quite slow and even become a bit rude toward the end of our visit (around 7pm), spilling water and serving over guest private space. It is still one of the biggest places available around office, was good for our group of 8 colleagues from an office even on late notice, and not that pricey.
- River StyxcasualnommerDined on 7/28/2014The souls of many lost dishes float alongside the patio as a reminder of what could have been. Lackluster service on a Monday evening with little rush and bland food at exorbitant prices.
- klydoDined on 7/25/2014great for happy hour our early dinner, enjoy during the summerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great seafood and cocktailsScarletDined on 7/25/2014I had the calamari and scallops appetizer. It was cooked to perfection . The seafood was perfect. Cocktails were mixed well. Everyone at the table was pleased.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for work lunchjsovikingDined on 7/24/2014Had a large group (12) for lunch. Food was well prepared. Service had a few slight misses, but overall a decent meal. Good enough for business lunches.Special Features:
- Normally reliable and goodwayfoVIPDined on 7/23/2014Probably an off day. Food came out so fast, you'd think it was sitting there already wiating for someone to want it... and tasted like it. House salad was overdressed and the raosted corn soup that is normally delicious was quickly room temparature and soon congealed slightly. Not at all what I've accustomed to from this restaurant. Presume it was an off day. Let's hope so becusae otherwise it's a disappointing turn as it's always been reliable and delicious and in the past.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never received lunch!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/23/2014I made lunch reservations at Rivers nearly two weeks prior to dining there. Upon arrival we were promptly seated. Since my friend and I had already viewed the menu prior to visiting we ordered immediately after being seated. I chose a fish dish and my friend requested the veggie sandwich. Nearly 40 minutes later our food still had not arrived, yet everyone around us had already eaten! I found the server and informed him that we planned to leave. He responded that they were busy with people on the patio. Luckily the manager overheard the exchange. The manager apologized and provided us with gift cards for a future visit. I've been to Rivers a few times before and NEVER experienced such treatment. I was extremely disappointed.
- Poor ServiceunhappyDined on 7/23/2014Our party of 5 sat down for lunch at 11:45 a.m.m we received a basket of bread and nothing else. Asked for water 1/2 later and 45 minutes we asked the hostess for our waiter so he could take the order. So it took 1 1/4 hours just to order a salad for lunch! Once ordered, someone else brought us our salads, and we never saw the waiter again until we had to find him for our bill.
- Great Business LunchDonnaHVIPDined on 7/22/2014This is a great spot for a business lunch. The waiters are very attentive and the food is delishSpecial Features: