River's Inn Restaurant
8109 Yacht Haven Rd
Gloucester, VA 23062Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
River's Inn Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.rivers-inn.com/
- Phone: 8046429942
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Thursday - Saturday: 11:00am - 4:00pm;
Brunch: Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm;
Dinner: Thursday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 8:00pm
Closed Monday & Tuesday& Wednesday
Open Thanksgiving & New Years Eve
Closed Christmas Eve, Christmas Day & New Years Day
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Creole / Cajun / Southern
- Executive Chef: Robert Iaccarino
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Everything from rehearsal dinners, receptions, anniversary parties, birthdays and much more.
- Special Events: Please contact the restaurant directly for all the details.
A word from River's Inn Restaurant
Casual waterfront dining awaits you at the River's Inn Restaurant and Crab Deck in Gloucester Point. Executive Chef Robert Iaccarino brings you local culinary delight with cajun flare in a cozy atmosphere. We feature daily lunch and dinner specials from Chef Iaccarino, a recent transplant from New Orleans, he serves up local favorites as well as some creole staples. Now Including gluten free options and Vegetarian selections!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
River's Inn Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
- We were not told when we madeDisappointedDined on 9/27/2013We were not told when we made this reservation that the restaurant was closing in three days, had lost their liquor license, and were trying to get rid of all their food. Open Table should know these things. As a result I may not use Open Table again. BTW, service was good because we were the only diners in the restaurant!
- Fair at bestdisappointed1Dined on 9/12/2013Just a short drive from work, a group of 10 of us waited for 50 minutes to have our food arrive only slightly warm. When we approached the manager, he said he just happened to notice the time and immediately went to the kitchen to start plating our orders. After 50 minutes? We did not notice a large group of lunch customers, even for a Thursday. With the service poor and food fair at best, we were extremely disappointed and will not be returning.
- Had to ask for refills ondardar2Dined on 9/6/2013Had to ask for refills on drinks. For what we paid for our food it was less than impressionable. Crab cake had no sauce on it and I had asked for it broiled and it came out looking like a cold crab patty. Stuffed jalepenos with crab meat had no crab meat in them at all. The bronzed shrimp on my brothers plate looked like shrimp out of a can and his potatoes looked like they were from the day before. My mothers fish was over fried and her boyfriends oysters were under fried.Special Features:
- deterioratedtjecDined on 8/31/2013the presentation of the food on the plate was poor. service was slow but congenial. price far exceeded the quality of the product. had not ate at the inside dining room for about 2 years - it appears this restaurant has taken a giant leap backwards. maybe others learned of this before our party did as the patrons were sparse.Special Features:
- A memorable mealOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/9/2013We had a very fine dinner at the restaurant on Friday evening. The service was good, food was delicious, and the setting special with its water views.Special Features:
- Not goodFlipperDined on 7/28/2013We have not been to this restaurant in a couple of years, was our favorite for special occasions, but once Mr. Barrett left so did we. We thought we would try it again so we went Sunday at 5:00 pm for dinner. I got fillet mignon with roasted potato's and green beans and my wife got crab cakes with roasted potatoes and hush puppies. My fillet had two tablespoon size pieces of fat and the potatoes were not fit to eat. My wife's crab cake was on the spicy side, her potatoes were like mine(they were hard in the middle but they were not raw and under cooked) and her hush puppies were overdone. The view is great and they have outdoor dining so a sandwich, burger or salad on the deck might be good.Special Features:
- Summer EveMattDined on 7/26/2013As usual, excellent food, great, unique surroundings by the water, and lots of good folks eating. I know they had a fire recently so that may account for the long wait for the order. But, the quality was right there. I really love this place, despite it being a little hard to find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not a good experienceJims1Dined on 7/13/2013Arriving 5 minutes prior to my reservation only to find that a fire had recently occured and the dining would not open for approximately another 30-45 minutes. Shortly after placing our order a large group (approximately 15) of very loud and vocal diners were seated in the middle of the dining area. The individuals were so disruptive that we left without ordering desert. I can understand the delay because of the fire, however I could have been notified and the Manager should have taken action to reduce the noise level, after all this was supposed to be an above average facility! This was our 51st anniversary and my Wife picked the place since her friends recommended it as a very nice place!
- We had a fabulous meal hereFrankDined on 7/7/2013We had a fabulous meal here on Mother's Day. The scallops were great and the portions of other meals were adequate. This last visit, we took our visiting relatives and the portions seemed skimpy.The vegetarian Napoleon dish was too small. Just because one chooses vegies does not mean austerity. The Portabella mushroom was hard to find it was so smalI expect a portion commensurate with price. Chilled beer glasses were nice.Special Features:
- worst open table restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/6/2013Took 1hour and 31 minutes to get a salad and soft shell crab dinner.This was the special. The manager acted like it was normal.It was a disaster.We traveled from Norfolk to try the place.Enough said.Special Features:
- Food a little blanddindinDined on 7/5/2013My broiled seafood dinner was a little bland...not much flavor on the tilapia, brocolli, potatoes. I did substitute a crabcake for the oysters as an upcharge and it was delicious and flavorful. Also the crab dip appetizer was very good but not enough crostinis were given and no small plates were offered so we had to pass around to a group of 6 people. Although we had made a reservation, I was surprised the outside deck was practically empty for a Friday night so maybe that is an indication of something, it used to be so packed you had to wait in line for a table. It has been a while since I had dined there but I remember the food quality and the prices as better.Special Features:
- Went here with my boyfriendOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/21/2013Went here with my boyfriend on a trip to the Bay. It's got a great outdoor deck overlooking the marina, so you can watch boats come in and out while you sip your daquiri. The cajun pasta was nothing to write home about. Oyster app on the menu was baked, but they were happy to serve us a dozen raw, which was great. Unfortunately the oysters were probably selected for how they stood up to baking - they were watery and flavorless. That said, we loved the crabcake appetizer, and the crabcake entree. Jumbo lump crab, over a fried green tomato, with an asiany "Magnolia" sauce that was soy-honey-ish. Yum.Special Features:
- Great Location, Lackluster FoodLeviDined on 6/21/2013Overlooking the marina was very serene and beautiful. Too bad the food and service weren't. Overall, the food was not very full of taste and mostly fried, while still being a bit expensive. They seemed to be understaffed and those that were there appeared to be very new. Came in with high expectations and only the view met those.Special Features:
- waterfront dinningOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 6/16/2013Great place service lacking only one lady trying to do it all.she was nice and polite just needed help.great view from deck of marina If in area a must stopSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointinghomecookDined on 6/16/2013Even though the dining room was not very busy the service was slow & disjointed with no one taking responsibility until we spoke to the "busy polite guy in charge" who took over. We appreciated his attention & apologies for the confusion & delays but were surprised by the lack of organization among the servers; perhaps it was just an under-staffed night or more attention was being given to the crowd in the outside dining area celebrating Father's Day. The service did not meet up to the prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food a great viewWavewarrior3Dined on 6/8/2013Had some very good seafood early sat. Had reservations and table was ready on time. 2nd time eating there in a month and both times food was excellent. And both times waiter was new but did a decent job. Will go back again. I would judge as one of the best off the beaten path restaurants in the area.Special Features:
- Not what I was hoping forant31Dined on 6/8/2013Took my wife here for our Anniversary. The service was blah (server was nice and somewhat attentive) but she got both of our orders wrong. My wife never got her salad and her salmon was just OK. I ordered the petite filet (medium rare) with lump crab meat. My filet arrived without the crab meat- I asked and they brought it in a ramkin that was scorching hot- fresh from the microwave. Next, the steak was well overcooked. I did not send it back because it was still quite juicy and pretty good. On a positive note, the appetizer was good- lemon grass chicken potstickers. Also, the green beans and mashed potatoes were both quite good, better than expected. Overall, just OK. Not what I was expecting and the food was not as good as I had heard.Special Features:
- Great food and serviceDon1Dined on 6/7/2013The food was wonderful and our host Jason was outstanding.Special Features:
- A Llittle DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/25/2013The server was very good, but the service was slow, apparently due to issues at the bar and in the kitchen. We noticed a pervasive odor in the restaurant that may be from the carpeting. We have noticed this on a previous visit. The food (chicken marsala & crab cakes) was good but not outstanding. One of the specials, soft-shell crabs, was no longer available by 7:15. We feel this restaurant has declined since we first dined here six years ago, but we keep giving it another chance because of the location and ambience.Special Features:
- Anniversary DinnerjimmyDined on 5/22/2013My wife and I have been to your establishment many times, always reserving it for a special occasion. Last night was our fith wedding anniversary and so we chose to dine at sunset and enjoy the ambiance and fine menu. Our waiter was cheerful, friendly and helpful with the items on the menu. The Crab cakes we ordered were spectacular and we enjoyed our entrees and dessert to the max. Suffice to say, we will be back on other special occasions and thank you for being there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's DayhoofDined on 5/12/2013Reservations @5:45. One of the 3 entrees was unavailable because they ran out of it before 6pm. They are open until 9 or 10. The staff was courteous and helpful, but understaffed. We found out later our waiter was also the bartender. The food was excellent. When we ordered dessert, the creme brulee was unavailable because they ran out at 3:30. I ordered pie and he came back and said they just ran out of that too. They had had 300 reservations so far that day. Well, plan for it! I would hate to show up at 8pm. If you dine here, dine early. We waited for our check. Finally got up and that generated the check as it usually does. It was busy at the bar. Excellent floor staff, but bad planning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Mother's Daykdt37Dined on 5/12/2013Lovely view, comfortable seating, delicious food - nice size portions, the limoncello cake was incredible, very nice experience. I will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's Day at River's InnWoodyDined on 5/12/2013Long wait after being seated. Very poor service. Mediocre food served cold. I would not recommend this restaurant.
- Food was okay, service wasluvu1stDined on 5/12/2013Food was okay, service was slow. Prices for the mothers day menu were outrageous!!Special Features:
- Not What It Used to BeOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/11/2013We went for a birthday celebration this weekend based on the memory of a fantastic meal about 5 years ago. No offered refills on unsweetened tea, repeated requests for water, repeated requests for lemon with the fish, a very dried out fish special with bits of very cooked dried out crab meat and sauteed mushrooms, VERY fried seafood and hush puppies (all cooked in the same oil it seemed?). There is no basis for comparison with the prior outstanding experience and honestly can not recommend the drive from Williamsburg for either the food or service.
- Nice ambience, mediocre foodJoycVIPDined on 5/11/2013Restaurant is in nice setting, a little out of the way. Our appetizers were nicely prepared oysters, but entrees were not up to par. I ordered the special which was flounder Diane. The fish was extremely dry, tasteless and with no seasoning. The fish of another member from our party was obviously pre-frozen. Not worth the drive to received this quality of food.Special Features:
- Great For GraduationbethvDined on 5/11/2013We enjoyed our lunch on the outdoor patio at River's Inn. The food was very good and we felt comfortable and relaxed there. We had just had our son's college graduation from CNU and it was good to get out of Newport News where it would've been mobbed with other graduates and their families.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This place is in troubleOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/10/2013My wife and I ate here for our anniversary 5/10/13 although we were concerned about the negative feedback (mostly regarding Valentines Day), hoping that they just had a bad day. Unfortunately this was not the case. We walked in to an empty Hostess stand and waited for 4 minutes until a woman came in (turned out to be our server) and seated us. We had our choice of many open tables 8:00pm-Fri. night, 4 other tables in the restaurant. We ordered the crab dip appetizer (no crab, no flavor). We both ordered the Rockfish special (topped w/crab meat and a lemon sauce). The "rockfish" was actually tilapia, and the crab meat topping was probably "krab", not lump. The lemon sauce was too tart. Used to love this place, doubt we'll go back.Special Features:
- Nice Water ViewOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/5/2013We started off with the hot Crab Dip it was served hot and it was very creamy with a lot of crab meat. There were a few specials my husband had the Rockfish with lump crabmeat which was served broiled with broccoli and it was supposed to come with homemade mashed potatoes. We were informed when the meals were brought that they were out of mashed potatoes. The chef had come up with a new potato side, which to me was left over from the brunch earlier in the day. We were there around 4:30 on a Sunday. I ordered blackened Tuna, it was cooked med-well which was perfect. It could have been a little more seasoned. It too came with the potatoes. Dessert was their homemade key lime pie and cheesecake. Both were Great! The server was wonderful.Special Features:
- Service was outstanding!!!She-crabOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/26/2013Service was outstanding!!!She-crab soup was delicious. BLT was mediocre: did not have "local Beefsteak tomatoes", as stated on the menu. A nice spot to have lunch (would've been nicer if we had been outside.) Walk around the docks and check out the beautiful boats before or after you dine.
- Great place for lunch on the water!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 4/7/2013We recently had an excellent lunch at River's Inn. Oysters were fresh and local and the grilled swordfish was outstanding.Special Features:
- Quiet with Great Food and ServiceMrMalbecDined on 3/29/2013We are a group of retirees who get together for lunch a couple of times a year to catch up. River's Inn always gives us a nice quiet place where conversation is easy. On this occasion we also got great food and great service from Jason, the manager, who took care of us himself.Special Features:
- Oh yeahOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/16/2013Very very satisfied, the rivers inn was absolutely perfect for making up for the awful anniversary i tried to make special last year, but this year she couldn't have been more impressed. Food was great and i think for the first time ever ii didn't finish all my dinner cause there was so much! Very nice people on top of it all made it that much better.Special Features:
- Have eaten there many times,CaptjimrDined on 3/9/2013Have eaten there many times, has great food & service. View is limited due to being located in the middle of a marina, unless you like looking at large cabin cruisers.Special Features:
- Service was poor. We wereOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 2/14/2013Service was poor. We were rushed to order our meals without being asked if we would like drinks or how we would like the food prepared. Then, we were not served the standard bread basket and were somewhat forgotten about. Entree plates were never cleared from the table even through dessert.
- I am very sad to say thatOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/14/2013I am very sad to say that this restaurant is in great decline. A beautiful location that was damaged by storm seems to have not recovered well.Valentine's night was not crowded compared to restaurant seating, but the restaurant was woefully understaffed. The staff that was there was really not motivated to cover well and we saw numerous extremely disappointed couples, some that just left.The food was average, at best.I wish them well and hope that they can make much needed changes.
- I think the restaurant hadOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2013I think the restaurant had an off night we were there. We have had great experiences there over the years but not on 14 Feb 2013. Our waitress did not take our order until 15 minutes into the evening, and that was for drinks. We had to ask for the wine we ordered 3 times. My wife's soup was warmish but not hot, but she wasn't about to chance the delay waiting for it to be warmed up. My wife's meal was cold when she finally got it, 45 minutes after the wine had made its way to our table. Desert never made it and neither did the bill. We calculated what we owed and I left a tip; I did lose some serious points with my wife on that issue. Two tables left while we were there, never made it past drinks. However, Sweet Frog was great!Special Features:
- Went there for Valentine'sOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2013Went there for Valentine's Day dinner. It took a while for them to talk to us and get our drink order though. Place wasn't very busy, at least didn't seem like it at the time, yet that's what the waitress said when we were served. Food was great, other than the service, not much to complain about. I'd give the place another shot thoughSpecial Features:
- Waited 15 minutes before theOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2013Waited 15 minutes before the server arrived to take my drink order. When she did arrive she looked and acted as if she had been working all night long (it was 6pm). When I casually enquired if she was okay, the reply was negative. This was how the rest of the night went. After I finished eating I waited another twenty minutes before my check was brought. I expected more from Rivers Inn, especially on Valentin's Day. All of that and the preplanned holiday menu dinner was average at best.Special Features:
- What a Gem!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2013We just moved to the area and feel quite blessed to have found River's Inn Restaurant just around the corner! I had the prime rib, orderd well done and found it was perfect. (A difficult piece to get well done and not burned). I will definitely make it a regular!Special Features: