11048 Highway 1
Jenner, CA 95450Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://ilovesunsets.com/home.html
- Phone: 7078652484x111
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Friday - Monday: 12:00pm - 3:30pm; Dinner: Friday - Monday: 5:00pm - 8:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, Global, International
- Executive Chef: Chef Martin Recoder
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from River's End
The epicenter of Sonoma Coast dining...the River's End is located in the quaint village of Jenner by the Sea about 20 minutes north of Bodega Bay. The restaurant is set on a bluff overlooking the Russian River spill into the Pacific Ocean. During lunch you can watch the Osprey dive in the river for fish or the harbor seals frolic at riverside. Dinner time is all about the sunset ... the show is worth the visit. Fortunately, the restaurant chefs and service staff aim to outdo the natural surroundings. The kitchen prepares California cuisine with a focus on local ingredients. Chef Martin Recoder prepares menus that are changing with the seasons and delight the heart. The service staff is led by Maitre d'/Owner Bert Rangel, who has owned and managed the restaurant for over 10 years. The Chef in the Redwood Bar is talented Patrick Keane. Trained at the French Culinary Institute, Patrick utilizes the freshest ingredients and classic techniques to create truly “Artisanal Cocktails”.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
River's End - Best Restaurants in Bodega Bay ›
River's End reviews from OpenTable diners
153 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (148)special occasion (121)romantic (112)fit for foodies (84)notable wine list (51)great for lunch (39)neighborhood gem (37)great for brunch (14)great for outdoor dining (11)hot spot (9)good for groups (9)kid-friendly (4)vibrant bar scene (3)late-night find (2)Show More
- Scenic Place for a Romantic DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/16/2014If you are traveling through the wine country, River's End is worth the drive for a romantic and peaceful meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- krazykatDined on 9/13/2014We've dined several times here, and chose River's End for our anniversary dinner for the 2nd time in a row. It's great for special occasions, due to many window tables overlooking the ocean. But at our requested window table, only I could see outside -my husband's view blocked by the wall. Gracious, attentive service -server had excellent knowledge of food-wine pairings and took great care of us. We had fresh oysters, the beet salad (wonderful), the salmon crudo (very fresh and delicious), then my husband had the filet (cooked perfectly) and I had the duck (breast was exactly as I specified, medium rare - but the confit accompanying it was salty and tired, and asparagus way out of season). Too full for dessert. We will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnnieDined on 9/13/2014Our group of 4 women friends and visited here for the second time since the end of last May. We had a very lovely lunch after an equally lovely coastal hike in the area. We decided t make it a tradition!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/9/2014Best meal ever- 10 out of 10! Amazing views and equally outstanding food,Special Features:
- Lovely Sunset!LuvmysargDined on 9/9/2014Celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary on a warm summer eve. The skies were clear so we were happy to view the sunset. I started with the salmon chowder & it was delicious! My husbamd had the filet which he liked but said it wasnt the best he's had. I had the pasta with prawns, it was absolutly scrumptious! Homemade pasta, yum! We also enjoyed wine, good service & gorgeous views. Finished with the cream brulle for two. Overall a wonderful experience!Special Features:
- excellentjaymDined on 9/9/2014from the friendly bartender & waitress, the food and dessert was outstanding, and the view impeccable....HIGHLY recommendedSpecial Features:
- all around perfect mealkevinDined on 9/6/2014We had driven past many times but never stopped and were looking for someplace above the ordinary - River's End delivered on all counts. The environment and location are great, all of the staff were friendly and helpful and attentive. And the food as superb. The four of us samples appetizers and salads as well as several of the specials. It was all delicious. The salmon was in season and incredibly fresh. We cant wait to go back during crab season!Special Features:
- Never disappointsOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 9/5/2014We ate here for lunch on September 5th and 6th on our way to San Francisco and return from Sea Ranch. We love the place, great food, excellent service, and of course the view. The restaurant was full by 1:30 so go early ( opens at noon for,lunch) and or have reservations. We have been going for a decade now for lunch and dinner and are never disappointed. Special salmon and oyster meals on certain days. Soups are first rate, currently the salmon chowder is on the menu and fantastic. My wife had the heirloom tomatoes...first rate.Special Features:
- Very tough to parkOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/31/2014There is not nearly enough parking space for this location ~ it is a beautiful setting but a challenge to park close by because of the limited space. The food was very good but nothing spectacular.Special Features:
- Luv2sailDined on 8/30/2014We had a great meal here in April last year while on a driving vacation. We're on another one now and had another wonderful evening three nights ago. Other than a pretty loud table of four near us when we first were seated, the evening was really special ---- wonderful food and Derek took special care of us. Looking forward to our next visit to the Sonoma Coast.Special Features:
- Fantastic view, food, wine, servicepennyDined on 8/30/2014We chose it for the view and would go back for the food, well and the view. Everything was very good from presentation to taste to service. Wine pairings in the menu and suggestions by the very knowledgeable waiter were excellent. The salmon chowder was tasty and impressive with wonderful cubes of potato (not mushy), freshest salmon ever. My technicolor beet salad was a culinary and visual delight. The entrees were good, but not 5-star. One star off food rating for two reasons: my husband's salmon entree was prepared with a mustard sauce that overpowered the beautiful fresh, but delicate salmon. My Kicking Ahi entree had wonderful ahi, but the carrots and rice were so-so compared to all the rest.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ReviewEnjoyfinefoodsDined on 8/30/2014The restaurant is great outstanding view, the food especially the heirloom tomato salad is outstanding. The wine is good service is good.Special Features:
- special dining experiencechgofoodieDined on 8/29/2014The River's End was highly recommended to us by a friend who was recently in the area and we were not disappointed. A beautiful drive to where the Russian River meets the Pacific Ocean! The sunset was glorious. Our waitress was friendly and extremely knowledgeable regarding the menu and wine selections. Atmosphere was reminiscent of a 1960's dinner club. Our dinner was romantic and very delicious.Special Features:
- Long history at Rivers Endliv2eatDined on 8/27/2014My wife and i have been going to Rivers End for over 27 years since before we got married and lived in the midwest. It was one of a kind back then with a different chef/owner and the best fish available. Now they have two salmon specials on a separate salmon menu. we got one of each, ordered medium rare and both were over cooked, preparation on each was ok but not special. Everything is expensive now whether it should be or not. Service was ok, they didn't pay special attention to anyone, just turning over space. May be our last visit, we'll see but it isn't what it used to be. They have all the tools to be great again. Just doesn't seem to be any attention paid to detail.Special Features:
- So happy we decided to stop!FoodiesforlifeDined on 8/27/2014We thought with the spectacular view and ambience the food might be substandard. We were so wrong! Evan, the manager (and sometimes bartender) was very informative and friendly. Our service was prompt and cordial. The food, however, was the best. West Coast otsters with a ginger lime mignonette and wasabi tobiko are a must try. We had a wonderful grilled heirloom tomato, mozzarella, mushroom and onion salad. The flagship dish was the duck three ways. The best duck liver pate we've ever had with a cognac-chervil gelee', perfectly prepared duck confit over spinach and lentils, and a medium rare broiled duck breast in a BlackBerry reduction. Spectacular!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderfulsearanchDined on 8/26/2014Wonderful find. Charming, warm friendly service. All in all a wonderful evening and we will go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mixed reviewSRlocalDined on 8/23/2014What a beautiful place to have dinner. Not a bad seat in the whole restaurant. Service was attentive, unfortunately the server never asked how our food was. The appetizers were fantastic and I highly recommend them, beet salad with goat cheese and orange balsamic dressing and the grilled tomato, peppers, mozarella salad. The main entree had fresh king salmon fish with black rice and sweet roasted corn. The fish had good flavor but the drawback was the fish was overcooked which gave it a rubbery texture. Disappointing since that is there specialty. The corn and rice were quite tasty. I would have returned the fish but it was already pushing 9:20.Special Features:
- Love the viewTigerlilyDined on 8/21/2014Although this is a $ million dollar view the food was only ok. The view is very weather dependent.Special Features:
- All I wanted!Silvia72Dined on 8/21/2014I made a reservation for two people with the request a place romantic and with views.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A special Treasure on the coastdiner13VIPDined on 8/20/2014River's End is a true treasure, offering perfectly made food and a glorious view. Although it is a foodie's paradise with the fresh ingredients and perfectly balanced flavors, it is not in the least bit pretentious. WE were lucky enough to have this restaurant recommended to us when we were staying in Bodega Bay, and immediately booked a table. So glad we did.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- worth the drivereggiesdadVIPDined on 8/17/2014River's End is on the beaten path of US 1 but rather remote. It is worth the drive inasmuch as it its menu is locally developed and exceptional. The food and wines are notable and the view is memorable. The local duck is perhaps the best I have ever had and the appetizers alone are worth the drive up from the Bay areaSpecial Features:
- Best Salmon dinner ever!beenthereDined on 8/11/2014Just had another Delicious meal at the Rivers End Restaurant. I had the southwest Salmon. It was served with this watermelon salsa which made the dish so amazing. Loved it! We also had some oysters which were so fresh and delicious and the beet salad which is one of my favorite side dishes that they serve. awesome food. my guests loved it- and the view- well, I can't get enough of how beautiful that is no matter what the weather dishes out. amazing place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stunning Sunset ViewsSassyDined on 8/8/2014I planned a vacation around this find. I searched the internet for fun restaurants north of San Francisco and found this. Not only do they have a restaurant, they have five rooms to rent. We stayed the night in one of the cabins and it was breath-taking. The sound of the waves crashing through the night, the view of the ocean from the shower, the fantastic food at sunset. The whole experience was phenomenal. We will definitely go back!Special Features:
- Special placeHSteacherDined on 8/7/2014All-round terrific for a special occasion--our 49th anniversary!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant in CaliforniaBarbaraVIPDined on 8/1/2014We had a fantastic dinner overlooking the bay in Jenner, Calif. Our food was prepared beautifully and tasted delicious. We were welcomed with 2 complimentary glasses of rose champagne. It was a little too cloudy to see the sunset, but still a lovely evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food and service greatOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/1/2014If in the area again will certainly eat there again. Everything about the small place was wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Scenic view and incredible foodFoodmotivatedDined on 7/30/2014I chose Rivers end based on the recommendation of some locals, and it exceeded our expectations. Not only was the view of the ocean and inlet gorgeous, but the food and wine were world class. Our server recommended a local Pinot noir (Thomas George 2011) that was not only reasonably priced but delicious. We started with oysters on the half shell dressed in an Asian mignonette. We also enjoyed the ceviche and duck confit egg rolls. For our mains, I had the seasonal fresh wild caught salmon served with forbidden rice, roasted corn and watermelon mint salad. The birthday girl enjoyed local liberty duck 3 ways and another friend had pork chops with peaches! Finished with creme brûlée and home brewed coffees. Amazing! Will go again for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bdgrgrlDined on 7/28/2014We ordered two appetizers and salads and dessert. Three of these items were excellent (wild king salmon crudo, oysters, & creme brulee). The technicolor beet salad was good but the duck confit salad was so salty we sent it back. In fairness, we followed our server's suggestion and had the duck as a fourth course, but our palates might have been wrong for its flavor combination. Despite his knowledge of the food and willingness to explain the menu, we were put off by our server, whom we found snobbish and cold. He explained much, but he did not listen or engage with us about our choices. (BTW, we eat in lot of good restaurants so we're not pikers.) Overall: overpriced, slow service. (Also, at 57 & 60, we were the youngest customers there.)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- rowtoeatDined on 7/26/2014River's End is a perfect spot to watch the sunset. Make reservations as this is a busy place on the weekends. Be prepared to wait for your table as most guests are on vacation and have no sense of time. Althought we waited quite some some even thought we had a reservation the staff took very good care making sure our needs were met while we waited. They went out of their way to ensure that we had a wonderful experience. The view was spectacular, the staff were expectional and the food was delicious. We will definately go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DinnerTable4SixDined on 7/26/2014Great Food and Great Views make this a must eat place in Sonoma County. We had the raw oysters paired with a Hook and Ladder gewurztraminer. Fantastic. For our main meal we had the pork chops with roasted peaches and I had the Seared Ahi. Both exceptional dishes. We ended the night sharing a creme bruille. All this while watching a spectacular sunset. Look up sunset times on the internet and reserve your table accordingly. Great for a romantic dinner or special occasion with a loved one.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect dinner-- Perfect siteBarbaraDined on 7/26/2014This is the perfect place for a special dinner with fantastic views of the place where the river meets the ocean. A pre- or post-dinner drink on the deck is the place to be at sunset. The Southwestern Salmon was perfectly cooked with amazing flavors. I love River's End!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice view, food not so much......OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/22/2014darling place and we've had better meals here in the past, but most recently the food was sub-par, selections are limited, and the service really was not up to snuff
- Great lunchRiversEndDined on 7/22/2014The food was fantastic, especially the Salmon Crudo! Also, duck confit salad was delicious! Very nice wine list, great view and ambiance. The only negatives--slightly too warm (a little uncomfortable) due to all the glass/windowed wall panels, which could easily have been fixed by simpy opening the door and allowig the breeze to flow through. Also the food service was a bit slow....I don't think that was the server's issue, I heard him explaining to another table that they were backed up in the kitchen. However, it was 2:30 in the afternoon on a weekday, so I'm not sure why. Certainly not a big deal as we thoroughly enjoyed our leisurely lunch..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely and priceyBetsliDined on 7/22/2014Gorgeous view of the river mouth and ocean. Very pleasant service and ambiance. Bar service and wine list excellent. At $32 per entree I expected the food to be spectacular; I'd describe it as good but not out of this world, by any means. The salmon was fresh but overcooked, to my taste. I'm not rich and only eat out on special occasions. My guests seemed pleased with the whole experience, but my wallet hurt. I will probably not go back.Special Features:
- IT WAS AMAZING!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/21/2014THE VEIW WAS BREATHTAKING, SERVICE WAS GREAT AND THE FOOD TO DIE FOR. WILL BE BACK AGAIN FOR SURE!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding PlaceFeelgoodDined on 7/20/2014One of the best restaurants in Sonoma County, and the setting is beautiful, no matter what the weather. Specializes in seafood, especially salmon, but would like to see more vegetarian entrees.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wait serviceNannyDined on 7/19/2014We've dined here a number of times and each was a good experience. We were there to celebrate a birthday this time. When clearing our plates, the wait person (not the waitress assigned) grabbed my plate in such a way as to spill sauce remaining on the plate onto my white linen dress. She made a hasty "sorry" remark and moved on. I was surprised that she did not offer to see what could be done about cleaning my dress or offer some assistance. So, as not to make a scene I said nothing to management. I have a picture of my soiled dress. In addition to that, the food was bland. Someone there does not like seasoning. Different from past experiences.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Experienceelkhead6x6Dined on 7/19/2014My wife and I celebrated our birthdays and 41st wedding anniversary at River's End for dinner. The sunset was beautiful, the staff was very attentive and our waitress Kate made the experience truly excellent. We will return on our next rip to the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very pretty okay foodWineyFoodie22Dined on 7/18/2014The location is beautiful we ended up getting an okay table, there were certainly better views in the place. We had two appetizers, two entrees, and a dessert. The view was the only thing I'd specifically go back for.Special Features:
- Wonderful spot!allthingsgirlyDined on 7/17/2014We loved our dinner here. The ambiance was outstanding and the food was fantastic! We had a wild salmon dish that was as good as I've ever had. It is a ROMANTIC place to eat with a view of the ocean.Special Features: