11048 Highway 1
Jenner, CA 95450Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://ilovesunsets.com/home.html
- Phone: 7078652484x111
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Friday - Monday: 12:00pm - 3:30pm; Dinner: Friday - Monday: 5:00pm - 8:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, Global, International
- Executive Chef: Chef Martin Recoder
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from River's End
The epicenter of Sonoma Coast dining...the River's End is located in the quaint village of Jenner by the Sea about 20 minutes north of Bodega Bay. The restaurant is set on a bluff overlooking the Russian River spill into the Pacific Ocean. During lunch you can watch the Osprey dive in the river for fish or the harbor seals frolic at riverside. Dinner time is all about the sunset ... the show is worth the visit. Fortunately, the restaurant chefs and service staff aim to outdo the natural surroundings. The kitchen prepares California cuisine with a focus on local ingredients. Chef Martin Recoder prepares menus that are changing with the seasons and delight the heart. The service staff is led by Maitre d'/Owner Bert Rangel, who has owned and managed the restaurant for over 10 years. The Chef in the Redwood Bar is talented Patrick Keane. Trained at the French Culinary Institute, Patrick utilizes the freshest ingredients and classic techniques to create truly “Artisanal Cocktails”.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerCalifornian
River's End - Best Restaurants in Bodega Bay ›
River's End reviews from OpenTable diners
143 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (138)special occasion (112)romantic (103)fit for foodies (71)notable wine list (48)great for lunch (38)neighborhood gem (34)great for brunch (16)hot spot (11)great for outdoor dining (9)good for groups (7)kid-friendly (4)vibrant bar scene (2)late-night find (2)Show More
- So happy we decided to stop!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/27/2014We thought with the spectacular view and ambience the food might be substandard. We were so wrong! Evan, the manager (and sometimes bartender) was very informative and friendly. Our service was prompt and cordial. The food, however, was the best. West Coast otsters with a ginger lime mignonette and wasabi tobiko are a must try. We had a wonderful grilled heirloom tomato, mozzarella, mushroom and onion salad. The flagship dish was the duck three ways. The best duck liver pate we've ever had with a cognac-chervil gelee', perfectly prepared duck confit over spinach and lentils, and a medium rare broiled duck breast in a BlackBerry reduction. Spectacular!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderfulsearanchDined on 8/26/2014Wonderful find. Charming, warm friendly service. All in all a wonderful evening and we will go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mixed reviewSRlocalDined on 8/23/2014What a beautiful place to have dinner. Not a bad seat in the whole restaurant. Service was attentive, unfortunately the server never asked how our food was. The appetizers were fantastic and I highly recommend them, beet salad with goat cheese and orange balsamic dressing and the grilled tomato, peppers, mozarella salad. The main entree had fresh king salmon fish with black rice and sweet roasted corn. The fish had good flavor but the drawback was the fish was overcooked which gave it a rubbery texture. Disappointing since that is there specialty. The corn and rice were quite tasty. I would have returned the fish but it was already pushing 9:20.Special Features:
- Love the viewTigerlilyDined on 8/21/2014Although this is a $ million dollar view the food was only ok. The view is very weather dependent.Special Features:
- All I wanted!Silvia72Dined on 8/21/2014I made a reservation for two people with the request a place romantic and with views.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A special Treasure on the coastdiner13VIPDined on 8/20/2014River's End is a true treasure, offering perfectly made food and a glorious view. Although it is a foodie's paradise with the fresh ingredients and perfectly balanced flavors, it is not in the least bit pretentious. WE were lucky enough to have this restaurant recommended to us when we were staying in Bodega Bay, and immediately booked a table. So glad we did.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- worth the drivereggiesdadVIPDined on 8/17/2014River's End is on the beaten path of US 1 but rather remote. It is worth the drive inasmuch as it its menu is locally developed and exceptional. The food and wines are notable and the view is memorable. The local duck is perhaps the best I have ever had and the appetizers alone are worth the drive up from the Bay areaSpecial Features:
- Best Salmon dinner ever!beenthereDined on 8/11/2014Just had another Delicious meal at the Rivers End Restaurant. I had the southwest Salmon. It was served with this watermelon salsa which made the dish so amazing. Loved it! We also had some oysters which were so fresh and delicious and the beet salad which is one of my favorite side dishes that they serve. awesome food. my guests loved it- and the view- well, I can't get enough of how beautiful that is no matter what the weather dishes out. amazing place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stunning Sunset ViewsSassyDined on 8/8/2014I planned a vacation around this find. I searched the internet for fun restaurants north of San Francisco and found this. Not only do they have a restaurant, they have five rooms to rent. We stayed the night in one of the cabins and it was breath-taking. The sound of the waves crashing through the night, the view of the ocean from the shower, the fantastic food at sunset. The whole experience was phenomenal. We will definitely go back!Special Features:
- Special placeHSteacherDined on 8/7/2014All-round terrific for a special occasion--our 49th anniversary!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant in CaliforniaBarbaraVIPDined on 8/1/2014We had a fantastic dinner overlooking the bay in Jenner, Calif. Our food was prepared beautifully and tasted delicious. We were welcomed with 2 complimentary glasses of rose champagne. It was a little too cloudy to see the sunset, but still a lovely evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food and service greatOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/1/2014If in the area again will certainly eat there again. Everything about the small place was wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Scenic view and incredible foodFoodmotivatedDined on 7/30/2014I chose Rivers end based on the recommendation of some locals, and it exceeded our expectations. Not only was the view of the ocean and inlet gorgeous, but the food and wine were world class. Our server recommended a local Pinot noir (Thomas George 2011) that was not only reasonably priced but delicious. We started with oysters on the half shell dressed in an Asian mignonette. We also enjoyed the ceviche and duck confit egg rolls. For our mains, I had the seasonal fresh wild caught salmon served with forbidden rice, roasted corn and watermelon mint salad. The birthday girl enjoyed local liberty duck 3 ways and another friend had pork chops with peaches! Finished with creme brûlée and home brewed coffees. Amazing! Will go again for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bdgrgrlDined on 7/28/2014We ordered two appetizers and salads and dessert. Three of these items were excellent (wild king salmon crudo, oysters, & creme brulee). The technicolor beet salad was good but the duck confit salad was so salty we sent it back. In fairness, we followed our server's suggestion and had the duck as a fourth course, but our palates might have been wrong for its flavor combination. Despite his knowledge of the food and willingness to explain the menu, we were put off by our server, whom we found snobbish and cold. He explained much, but he did not listen or engage with us about our choices. (BTW, we eat in lot of good restaurants so we're not pikers.) Overall: overpriced, slow service. (Also, at 57 & 60, we were the youngest customers there.)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- rowtoeatDined on 7/26/2014River's End is a perfect spot to watch the sunset. Make reservations as this is a busy place on the weekends. Be prepared to wait for your table as most guests are on vacation and have no sense of time. Althought we waited quite some some even thought we had a reservation the staff took very good care making sure our needs were met while we waited. They went out of their way to ensure that we had a wonderful experience. The view was spectacular, the staff were expectional and the food was delicious. We will definately go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DinnerTable4SixDined on 7/26/2014Great Food and Great Views make this a must eat place in Sonoma County. We had the raw oysters paired with a Hook and Ladder gewurztraminer. Fantastic. For our main meal we had the pork chops with roasted peaches and I had the Seared Ahi. Both exceptional dishes. We ended the night sharing a creme bruille. All this while watching a spectacular sunset. Look up sunset times on the internet and reserve your table accordingly. Great for a romantic dinner or special occasion with a loved one.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect dinner-- Perfect siteBarbaraDined on 7/26/2014This is the perfect place for a special dinner with fantastic views of the place where the river meets the ocean. A pre- or post-dinner drink on the deck is the place to be at sunset. The Southwestern Salmon was perfectly cooked with amazing flavors. I love River's End!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice view, food not so much......OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/22/2014darling place and we've had better meals here in the past, but most recently the food was sub-par, selections are limited, and the service really was not up to snuff
- Great lunchRiversEndDined on 7/22/2014The food was fantastic, especially the Salmon Crudo! Also, duck confit salad was delicious! Very nice wine list, great view and ambiance. The only negatives--slightly too warm (a little uncomfortable) due to all the glass/windowed wall panels, which could easily have been fixed by simpy opening the door and allowig the breeze to flow through. Also the food service was a bit slow....I don't think that was the server's issue, I heard him explaining to another table that they were backed up in the kitchen. However, it was 2:30 in the afternoon on a weekday, so I'm not sure why. Certainly not a big deal as we thoroughly enjoyed our leisurely lunch..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely and priceyBetsliDined on 7/22/2014Gorgeous view of the river mouth and ocean. Very pleasant service and ambiance. Bar service and wine list excellent. At $32 per entree I expected the food to be spectacular; I'd describe it as good but not out of this world, by any means. The salmon was fresh but overcooked, to my taste. I'm not rich and only eat out on special occasions. My guests seemed pleased with the whole experience, but my wallet hurt. I will probably not go back.Special Features:
- IT WAS AMAZING!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/21/2014THE VEIW WAS BREATHTAKING, SERVICE WAS GREAT AND THE FOOD TO DIE FOR. WILL BE BACK AGAIN FOR SURE!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding PlaceFeelgoodDined on 7/20/2014One of the best restaurants in Sonoma County, and the setting is beautiful, no matter what the weather. Specializes in seafood, especially salmon, but would like to see more vegetarian entrees.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wait serviceNannyDined on 7/19/2014We've dined here a number of times and each was a good experience. We were there to celebrate a birthday this time. When clearing our plates, the wait person (not the waitress assigned) grabbed my plate in such a way as to spill sauce remaining on the plate onto my white linen dress. She made a hasty "sorry" remark and moved on. I was surprised that she did not offer to see what could be done about cleaning my dress or offer some assistance. So, as not to make a scene I said nothing to management. I have a picture of my soiled dress. In addition to that, the food was bland. Someone there does not like seasoning. Different from past experiences.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Experienceelkhead6x6Dined on 7/19/2014My wife and I celebrated our birthdays and 41st wedding anniversary at River's End for dinner. The sunset was beautiful, the staff was very attentive and our waitress Kate made the experience truly excellent. We will return on our next rip to the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very pretty okay foodWineyFoodie22Dined on 7/18/2014The location is beautiful we ended up getting an okay table, there were certainly better views in the place. We had two appetizers, two entrees, and a dessert. The view was the only thing I'd specifically go back for.Special Features:
- Wonderful spot!allthingsgirlyDined on 7/17/2014We loved our dinner here. The ambiance was outstanding and the food was fantastic! We had a wild salmon dish that was as good as I've ever had. It is a ROMANTIC place to eat with a view of the ocean.Special Features:
- Great findpaulboyfDined on 7/15/2014Amazing water views, amazing food and service. :-)Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/15/2014Service was impeccable and our waiter can hang with the best in San Francisco!! Fish and chips were great. Everything was a little pricey. Great view!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's the view . . . and the foodLMDJWDDined on 7/14/2014We planned ahead this year and requested a window table. We shared the Portuguese Clam appetizer & it was plentiful for two. The flavors in the sauce were incredible; we managed to go through quite a bit of sourdough bread to get every drop. I had the Kicking Ahi; the honey wasabi glaze was a perfect accompaniment to the ahi, not overpowering. My husband splurged and had the Duck Three Ways. His plate was so attractive with the three biggest blackberries arranged on the side and it was a dinner worth splurging on. I guess the biggest things are the incredible view -- and we didn't have the most beautiful sunset they've ever had but still spectacular -- and just close your eyes at the prices and make this a special occasion dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful LunchpaintsplashDined on 7/14/2014Aside from the very good food and friendly service, one can actually have a pleasant conversation in this restaurant. Clinging to the edge of a cliff overlooking the estuary of the Russian River and the Pacific, the River's End offers stunning views, understated decor and a warm, inviting atmosphere. Be sure to reserve a table - place was packed even on a Monday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, views, and cocktailssellerbyDined on 7/13/2014Probably one of the best views you will ever get in a restaurant. Nearly all seats are great views of the pristine beach of Jenner. Seafood items seem to be their specialty. The steak was just okay. Loved their cocktail drinks. Highly recommend this dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a treat to visit!beenthereDined on 7/12/2014Took my friends to the Rivers End restaurant and once again a wonderful meal with a fabulous view. Love this place. The salmon was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful eveningWinetrip2014Dined on 7/12/2014The wine list was great, the food divine, & breathtaking scenery.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- perfect eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/11/2014The view is outstanding. The service, great. And the food, I had salmon over black rice with a watermelon basil salad and slightly blackened corn. I have to say it was one of the best meals I have ever had, without a doubt. My wife also had an amazing meal with pork medalions and grilled peaches. I cannot wait to return. A real gem. Last time I ate there was about 10 years ago and I remember it being a phenomenal experience. It still is wonderful and I vow not to wait another 10 years before returning. Another amazing thing-- a beet salad, I am not a beet man but the combination of flavors (walnuts, goat cheese, etc) in exactly the right measures made it delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- King Salmon Feast!ILoveToEatOutDined on 7/11/2014We ate at River's End Restaurant for a celebration. We love Salmon, and we went all out. The Crudo was sashimi-esque, fresh and unique, and served beautifully; the Chowder was to die for. I ordered the Salmon and Asparagus, and Sweetheart ordered the Southwest Salmon. They were both fresh, imaginative, and delightful, and cooked perfectly! We got a bottle of Hart's Desire Russian River Valley Viognier, and it paired well with all four salmon dishes. We even ordered the homemade strawberry ice cream. Lichi, our server, was helpful, and unobtrusively attentive. Most tables are arranged so you have a wonderful view of the sunset, and it was gorgeous that day. We ate early, so parking was easily available, but it is limited. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of my favorites1RiversEndGroupieDined on 7/10/2014There is nothing that goes wrong here for me. Elegant, casual. I can come here in my beach clothes, or dress up for a special occasion, it works no matter what. Nothing is better than coming earlier than my reservation so I can sit on the deck, enjoy the view of "river meets the sea," enjoy a fine glass of wine and watch the sunset. The food is spectacular: Fresh, mostly local & sustainable, and the flavors of everything just make your mouth happy! I can't choose favorites cuz it is all so good. The chef & staff KNOW food. The service is warm without inserting into your experience, and flows seamlessly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a viewDakotaBrown1VIPDined on 7/7/2014Honestly one of the most spectacular views ever. We watched seals and the sunset while sipping on lovely cocktails. We ordered vegetarian and food was only okay but others seemed to enjoy their food better than we did. Would recommend checking it out.Special Features:
- NieceDined on 7/4/2014All five of us (age range 22 to 93) enjoyed a relaxing, tasty meal, good service and of course a fantastic view. Not to miss dishes are the salmon chowder - we wanted to take a gallon home with us, ceviche - beautifully prepared ample serving, the bass with kale - excellent paring, and the fish& chips - flaky light fish and yummy chips. We also had the local salmon finding the texture was a bit mealy, the shrimp pasta arrived as a smallish serving and the beet salad was more of a beet stack sans greens - otherwise all were well prepared. We selected wine and a cocktail from their well stocked bar with offerings displayed in their cool digital menu. We appreciate that the food rivals the view at this spot and will eat here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/3/2014My wife and I were very happy with our dining experience at River's End. She had an excellent Salmon dinner that was cook perfectly. I had duck cooked 3 ways and it was done wonderfully. It takes about an hour to drive to the Restaurant from Santa Rosa but it is a beautiful drive. The view from the restaurant is spectacular of the mouth of the Russian River.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lunch at River's EndsonomacountynativeDined on 7/3/2014I brought some friends who were visiting from Kenya. They loved the views and the food! They had never had fish and chips before and River's End does great fish and chips, down to the homemade ketchup! The service was attentive and the staff was friendly. It's a little pricey but worth it for a special trip.Special Features: