Rivers at the Watergate
600 New Hampshire Ave. , NW
Washington, DC 20037Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Rivers at the Watergate
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.riversdc.com/
- Phone: 2023331600
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday 5:00pm - 10:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jason Mayle
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: we are located in the Watergate Complex on the South Side directly across from the Kennedy Center
- Private Party Contact: Billy Carter 2023331600
A word from Rivers at the Watergate
Come enjoy the new surroundings at Rivers @ the Watergate. Executive Chef Jason Mayle provides locally sourced eclectic fare at the iconic Watergate address, directly across from the Kennedy Center. Available outdoor seating, private dining and special events.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Rivers at the Watergate reviews from OpenTable diners
- Farewell to a Fine RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/5/2013Unfortunately, this was the last meal at this restaurant. It has been bought and will be refurbished before reopening. Same location. New proprietor. Future quality not yet known.
- We had Salmon and ChickenRobertDined on 1/4/2013We had Salmon and Chicken which was very good - when we informed the waiter we had theatre tickets, the food arrived very shortly.Special Features:
- Great before or after a showDrsJVIPDined on 1/4/2013Great before or after the Kennedy Center...it's just across the street. Everyone very accommodating. They even let us come back for our dessert included in the Pre-Event Special after the show, and they stored my leftovers until we came back. Very easy valet parking at less than half the cost of parking at The Kennedy Center garage. We have season tickets and will probably have dinner here before every show.Special Features:
- We had dinner reservationsOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/3/2013We had dinner reservations at The Rivers before a Kennedy Center performance. We chose the restaurant for its location to the theater and the 'pre-event' menu option. We were expecting an adequate dinner at a higher than average price; we figured we were paying for the location. We were very pleasantly surprised how wonderful the meals were. Our dinner was excellent! The meals were prepared exactly to our requests and the service was professional and swift; allowing us to get to the theater in ample time for the performance. This dining experience made the whole evening complete.Special Features:
- perfect for pre-kennedy centerOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 1/3/2013Rivers proved to be a terrific choice for pre-Kennedy Center dining. The wait staff was quick without pushing and clearly understood what was needed to get us to our performance. The pre-theater menu is very nice, with a wide range of choices for small or large appetites. The smoked salmon appetizer was particularly nice, as was the rack of lamb. We look forward to many more lovely meals, with or without Kennedy Center tickets.
- Nice lunch before matineeBarbWDined on 1/2/2013Nice lunch before matinee performance at the Kennedy Center! Very convenient, food was nice - wish there was a better view from inside - you know the river is there but you can't see it!!
- While the filet mingon wasOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/31/2012While the filet mingon was delicious, the presentation of appetizers and main courses was uninteresting. We had to ask for bread that had been overlooked by the waiter. It was not a full house, not even crowded. For a pricey meal at a noteable location, I was disappointed. This was our anniversary dinner, 30 years. No special mention or gestures were made. We will not return.Special Features:
- Good Food - Bad AmbianceMattSturDined on 12/31/2012The food was excellent. Nothing outstanding -- just good plain food. The service was excellent, but again really not professional waiters. The room was down right ugly. I felt as though I was eating in a meeting room of a conference hotel. I believe there is another room which I did not see, but it apparently has a view of the river and nicer surroundings. I realize it was New Year's Eve and we had very early reservations (before the theater) so they probably sat us in this room facing the street to keep the better room for later arrivals; however, that does not make up for the fact that the surroundings left much to be desired and certainly not worth the $95 per person price.
- Fixed 4 couse menu for NewJohnDined on 12/31/2012Fixed 4 couse menu for New Years Eve. Despite the restaurant being full the service was prompt, the food well prepared and hot. Nice atmosphere and a friendly staff. A nice pre performance experience overall. Is was not cheap. With drinks and tip the bill was about $120 each.Special Features:
- Lousy RestuarantOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/31/2012We were at the restaurant New Year's even with an 8:30 show time at the Kennedy Center. We arrived at 6:15 but by 7:30 we had only finished our salad course. A few quick bites of our entree and we had to leave for our performance. It was a fixed price, four course dinner and we never even had a chance to order a dessert let alone eat it. Lousy, lousy, lousy.
- We were at your restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/31/2012We were at your restaurant New Year's Eve before our show at the Kennedy Center. It was a great start to a wonderful evening. The ambiance, the service and the food was great, perfectly timed. We will definitely return, and recommend.Special Features:
- Went on New years Eve forOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/31/2012Went on New years Eve for a pre- Kennedy center dinner. It was a great spot to eat and we were enjoying our time there when the waiter disappeared never to return. We were unable to complete our prix fixe meal courses before the show even though we had been there an hour and 45 minutes. The restaurant was gracious and offered our 1st two courses and drinks complimentary. We loved being there and what we ate was good, we were sorry to miss the rest of the meal. We would give the place another chance. It is perfectly situated next to the Kennedy Center.Special Features:
- The food was good, but notNYCTouristDined on 12/31/2012The food was good, but not "inspired." I'd say it was a bit overpriced, but we were there on New Year's Eve and there was a special menu. The smoked salmon appetizer was quite good, and my (rather small) steak was tender and flavorful. The service was overly attentive, I thought, but I think that's something that may be more my issue, and perhaps most people won't mind. (I've never liked being interrupted mid- sentence by a well-meaning waiter who wants to ask if I'm enjoying the meal. And that happened many times at The Rivers. But being ignored is much worse, and we can't say we didn't get lots of attention by our wait staff.)Special Features:
- Food & Service OverpricedOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 12/31/2012This is a restaurant who thinks is a 2 diamonds rated but in fact has no diamond or stars at all. It's convenient situated near the Kennedy Center, the food is good but overpriced. You overpay too for the service. We have many problems during the evening like no mention of a overpriced 4 services fix menu only option course on their website, a fork ''gate'' problem, a refill-my-water-glass ''gate'' problem and a not so exact dessert menu ''gate'' problem. Sorry to say but some high-end family restaurant offer better service and skill than what we got on this evening.
- Great pre-theater dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/29/2012We had a party of six attending 7:30 shows at the Kennedy Center. I love Rivers as a pre-show location: good food, valet parking cheaper than parking garage, and opportunity to gather after show to let the crowds die down. We were a little late for our 6pm reservation but the staff knowing we had show tickets did an excellent job getting out meals out quickly. My husband and I split the beef tenderloin meal. Prepared perfectly and more than enought to share. Our other guests enjoyed the scallops, the smoked salmon and a salad. Wine list is reasonable. Post show we enjoyed cocktails at the bar. Bartender Bob was enjoyable along with the pianist.Special Features:
- A DisappointmentOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/29/2012The food was good, hot, and beautifully presented but we were expecting a nice table with a good view; it was the beginning of a special evening for us. Instead, we were seated in the middle of a long row of small tables/shared bench seats. The restaraunt was empty when we arrived yet we seemed to be "partly ignored" after we told the waiter we didn't want drinks, only iced tea. Disappointing for us but it is a nice place.
- Good for before theatre orJbrandcwrDined on 12/28/2012Good for before theatre or after. Good service and food was good,also.Special Features:
- A gem before Kennedy CenterGU1965VIPDined on 12/28/2012Great place for before Kennedy Center performance. Convenient location, parking and good food. We preferred ordering from the menu rather rather than the set price fix menu. Our waiter Jimmy was outstanding.Special Features:
- Rivers is OK for dinner before2fudeezDined on 12/28/2012Rivers is OK for dinner before a Kennedy Center show. Food and service were so-so, but it was very convenient.Special Features:
- It,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/27/2012My husband and I took the opportunity to try this restaurant while attending a show at the Kennedy Center. There was a piano player in the lounge which was lovely. The food was only fair. We ordered the smoked salmon appetizer and burgers. The salmon never came but eventually, the burgers showed up. We notified the waiter who had the burgers removed and the salmon delivered. When the burgers were served again, my husbands was wrong. As we were leaving I stop to let the manager know about our experience. His response was, thanks for telling me. An "I'm so sorry, I hope you'll give us an opportunity to do better next time" would have turned things around. What a missed opportunity!
- very convenient to KennedyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/27/2012very convenient to Kennedy Center. A 2 minute walk plus valet parking!
- We ordered lamb and filetOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/26/2012We ordered lamb and filet mignon and ordered the lamb medium and the beef medium rare. The waiter had the order right but the chef did not. The beef was almost medium well and the lamb was medium rare. The waiter gave us a free dessert, but I would have rathered the food been cooked the way we asked. The prices are high and for the price I would think the chef would get the order correct.
- Don't go hereOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/22/2012Very pricey for what you get. The Caesar salad was pathetic - some Romaine lettuce, croutons and a small bowl of dressing which barely covered the lettuce and didn't taste particularly good. Service was slow, I suspect because there is insufficient staff. Wine served in a water glass. Double pork chop was rare, even though ordered medium. My wife's fillet was well done, even though ordered medium. No bread served until asked for. Believe this place survives only because it's right by the Kennedy Center.Special Features:
- An excellent choice for aJohnDined on 12/22/2012An excellent choice for a pre Kennedy Center performance dinner. Located just across the street at the Watergate. Menu is basic but solid and well perpared. Rivers is my "winter" restaurant due to proximity. But in better weather it is worth the short 10 minute walk along the bike path along the Potomac River to go to "Sequoia" at the Georgetown waterfront complex.
- Poor Service and foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/22/2012It took 10 minutes for the waiter to arrive at our table. It took another 5 minutes to get a wine list. It then took another 10 minutes for them to take our order. The order came relatively quickly. I ordered the rack of lamb cooked medium. What i received was a well done rack of lamb that felt cold to the touch and it was tough and dry. My date ordered the chicken and it was overdone as well.It took 10 minutes to cash out as well.Special Features:
- Enjoyed the pre play experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/22/2012Enjoyed the pre play experience. Price was appropriate. Would visit again.
- A good place near JFK CenterOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/22/2012This place is strategically located right across the street from the John F. Kennedy Center in Washington, DC. We were pleasantly surprised by the crab cakes on the menu. They were some of the best we have ever had. The service was okay and so was the wine list, though not impressive. I would highly recommend this restaurant to anybody wanting to have nice, moderately priced meal before the theater.Special Features:
- I booked the reservation throughOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 12/22/2012I booked the reservation through OpenTable and typed in a request for champagne to be served when we were seated. This did not happen. Although we arrived just around opening time and there were few tables filled, the waiter seemed distracted and was not as attentive as I would have expected. The restaurant touts to be "french" but the menu lacked the cuisine I would have expected. Atmosphere was nice, price was high,Special Features:
- Had tickets to Kennedy CenterOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 12/21/2012Had tickets to Kennedy Center and booked this restaurant for a pre-theatre meal. Able to valet park car and walk to theatre. Food was great. I would make a 5:30 reservation for a 7:30 show to allow time for dessert. I will return.
- Great Food Fair ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/21/2012Had guests in town and the food was absolutely fantastic as it usually is. I also have had 5 star service there in the past, but this server was not very good -- acceptable at best. Almost seemed like they called him in at the last minute. Service did not spoil the evening, however, a great experienceSpecial Features:
- this is so convenient andmimiVIPDined on 12/21/2012this is so convenient and lovely when going to the Kennedy center. the food and service was great. the parking is a deal....$10 for valet (instead of $22 in the KC parking lot across the street )Special Features:
- Food is very good and greatOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/21/2012Food is very good and great preparation - We had: an excellent fillet and great crab cakes. Good wine as well. Location adjacent to Kennedy Center is just the best. Walk from dinner to a performance.Special Features:
- Not a great experience. TheOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 12/20/2012Not a great experience. The most frustrating aspect was service-related and post-dining: I had inadvertantly left a shoe at the restaurant (had changed from heels to flats, and one of my heels, a brand-new kate spade pump, had fallen out of my bag). I called the next day to ask if it were there. No one answered, and no one returned my call. I called again the next day, was told the shoe was there, and they would hold it for me at the front. I went in to pick it up, and no one knew where it was, nor did they seem at all concerned. I was finally told it was taken home by a bartender who did not have a cell phone and no means of contacting her, so I would need to come back another day. VERY frustrating.
- The bar was lively but theSCGalDined on 12/20/2012The bar was lively but the restaurant was quiet when we arrived; that changed when several large tables in our area filled with holiday parties. The staff had to drag 4 or 5 chairs past us to reconfigure a table nearby. The "energy" level at the party tables was intrusive. The service was disappointing--the waiter did not seem harried and was friendly enough, but either had no attention to detail or was poorly trained. Our soup was served, but we had no spoons. Food was nicely plated, but careless presented. The clam chowder was the highlight of the meal--really delicious. The beef tenderloin was prepared correctly, but lacked seasoning--just tasted flat. Overall? Disappointing. Don't think I'll be back.
- We made reservations for 5:15DHPX2VIPDined on 12/20/2012We made reservations for 5:15 before a 7:00 show at the Kennedy Center and we were actually there early. There were only a few tables full when we arrived, we ordered the 3 course pre-theater menu and told our waiter about our 7PM The dinner was very average for $45. We had to seek out our waiter to get our dessert and to pay our bill. Too bad such a nice location is not better.
- The restaurant was way underSushiloverVIPDined on 12/20/2012The restaurant was way under staff that evening. Knowing the Kennedy Center performance schedule, you would think that River would have staffed up to handle the rush. Food was poorly prepared: Clam Chowder and Diver Scallops were way too salty whereas the beef tenderloin was bland. We will not return.
- Located across the streetDCFanVIPDined on 12/19/2012Located across the street from the Kennedy Center. A great place to park and eat prior to a perfromance. Food and service were outstanding!Special Features:
- We were very late arrivingOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 12/18/2012We were very late arriving because of traffic. The restaurant made a supreme effort to get us served within the limited of time we had before our curtain at the Kennedy Center. The food was very good, although the mache that was supposed to come with the beef tartare was a tiny bit of wilted arugula. It would have been exceptional if the side order of asparagus had arrived with the tartare.
- Food is always very good andOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 12/15/2012Food is always very good and they have some unique dishes each time we come. The service can be a bit slow on show nights at the Kennedy Center next door. They do have valet parking which is very efficient and cheaper than parking at the Kennedy Center if you're planning for a pre-show meal.
- The service was amateurishOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 12/15/2012The service was amateurish and the food, while tasty enough, was ridiculously overpriced for what it was. I know they have a prime location but charging nearly $30 for a plate of ravioli that was clearly something out of the freezer is just an insult. I love the convenience of this place anytime I'm going to the Kennedy Center but it keeps deteriorating and enough is enough. I won't be back.