River Stone Chophouse
8032 Harbour View Boulevard
Suffolk, VA 23435Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
River Stone Chophouse
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.riverstonechophouse.com/
- Phone: 7576387990x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday-Friday Bar and Raw Bar 3:00pm - Until
Monday-Saturday Dining Room 5:00pm - Until
Special Sunday Brunch in January 11:30- 2:30
Closed Sundays Evenings- Visit our sister restaurant Vintage Tavern on Sunday's.
Private Dining available for Group Luncheons and Dinners-with advanced notice.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Chris Jones
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cigar Room, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Four private dining rooms are available for groups from 6 to 150 to accommodate all your meeting or special occasion needs. In addition to corporate meetings and dinners, we are the perfect place to celebrate a birthday, career milestone, anniversary or family celebration. Please see the private dining section for additional information.
- Special Events: ~Monthly Wine Tastings.
~Raw Bar Specials Every Thursday
~DOD and Military Discount Wednesday Nights-
10% of food bill with the purchase of an entree.
~Appetizer Specials Mon - Fri from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m.-
50% off apps from 3 p.m. to 4 p.m.
25% off apps from 4 p.m. to 5 p.m.
(raw bar items are excluded)
~Passion for Paws Picnic and Whisker's Wine Tasting, Sept. 8th for Suffolk Human Society. See our website for details.
~Suffolk Restaurant Week is Nov 2nd thru 9th.
Please visit our website for additional information.
A word from River Stone Chophouse
From the team that brought the celebrated and award winning Vintage Tavern to Suffolk comes River Stone Chophouse. Featuring steaks and fresh seafood in a beautifully designed traditional craftsman-era architecture. Join us for a cocktail lounge and raw bar, then have dinner by the stone fireplace. River Stone demonstrates a unique commitment to providing special dining experiences to patrons and is excited to be the first Chophouse in Hampton Roads. River Stone features Hereford beef, a raw bar, fresh lobster and an extensive wine list to compliment the cuisine. Centrally located in Northern Suffolk, only minutes from five surrounding cities.Continued
Late night dining is available in the bar as well as a lighter fare menu in the lounge. Happy Hour specials Monday to Friday 3-7pm. Reservations are recommended.
Late night dining is available in the bar as well as a lighter fare menu in the lounge. Happy Hour specials Monday to Friday 3-7pm. Reservations are recommended.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
River Stone Chophouse - Best Restaurants in Suffolk ›
River Stone Chophouse reviews from OpenTable diners
80 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (68)romantic (50)notable wine list (38)fit for foodies (28)neighborhood gem (27)good for groups (23)hot spot (10)great for outdoor dining (4)vibrant bar scene (4)great for brunch (2)late-night find (2)kid-friendly (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Good for special occasionsL8rG8rDined on 9/13/2014I was hoping for a little more for the money. For that kind of money I want to be blown away. Everything was excellent but just a little off. They set the bar very high and we felt like they just didn't quite meet it. Of course, when you shoot for the stars, even falling a bit short is an excellent experience.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/13/2014Second trip here, did not disappoint. Awesome place to take a special someone!Special Features:
- Food was averageOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014My wife and I attended this restaurant for our 20th anniversary we are really looking forward to it. The service was great and the ambience was excellent but the food was just average almost below average for the price.
- Not badOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/5/2014Very expensive experience and the quality of the food was not as expected. Very professional setting and respectful audience.Special Features:
- Very NiceVT93Dined on 9/5/2014Went on the recommendation of a neighbor for my wife's birthday. It was worth the half-hour drive. I had the Jambalaya and my wife the colossal shrimp. Both were good, especially the grilled shrimp. Great wine list and good selection of craft beers.Special Features:
- Amazing!LuvmygirlDined on 9/4/2014Thoroughly enjoyed dinner. Took my daughter for her birthday and was impressed with the warmth of the staff. The food was amazing as well. I had the grilled salmon and I have never had such a perfectly cooked piece of salmon. Delicious in flavor, perfect size and done just right. Would recommend River Stone to anyone and already have!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over priced and over ratedBob2Dined on 8/30/2014Very noisy. Service was slow and inattentive. Rolls looked and tasted like they'd come from Food Lion. "Butter" tasted more like margarine. Overall food quality was excellent, but inattention to details and high prices ($38 for five scallops?) preclude a higher rating.
- Nice But PriceyBobKat01Dined on 8/29/2014Had a gift card and it was a special occasion so we decided to give the venue a try. Great service & good steaks. With an appetizer (calamari), a garden variety bottle of wine, 2 entrees, ala carte vegetables and a shared dessert, the dinner rang it at $300 for the 2 of us. On the way home, we remarked that no occasion is THAT special and no steak is THAT good. Glad we went, won't be back though unless we hit the lottery.Special Features:
- The place for special occasionsOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/26/2014This was our third visit to River Stone Chophouse and we come here to celebrate special occasions like our wedding anniversary or Mother's Day. The service is always top notch. Its nice to even have management walk around to ask how things are! The food is ALWAYS good and enjoyable from the appetizer to dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So so....OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/23/2014We went to Riverstone with high expectations, but unfortunately our experience fell a little flat. Don't get me wrong, it's a gem of a resteraunt tucked away in Suffolk, with an ambiance to rival the fanciest of venues. But that's where it stops. Our server seemed to be new, and that's not that big of an issue normally. But in a place of this caliber I would expect someone new to continue to shadow a more experienced server until they were ready. Ours was very inattentive (the place was empty), she seemed confused about the specials, and she had limited knowledge of the wine list. My steak was on par with what I could've ordered at Outback. Nothing to really write home about. The lobster was overcooked as well. Ruth's Chris is better.
- A Night OutonthelookoutDined on 8/23/2014The entire experience was wonderful. The staff was very attentive, provided excellent recommendations to assist in our choices and the food was exceptional. The manager, Ken, was very personable and ensured that our experience met with our expectations: creating a very warm, inviting environment. We will most definitely be dining there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superbmbw1Dined on 8/22/2014Great food...the steaks i.e. Filet Mignon, were out of this world!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Take your walletKatmueDined on 8/15/2014Although the steaks were good they are very overpriced. I was surprised at how much higher the prices are from just a year ago. With that said the food is delicious and plentiful. Service was good and not too overbearing. Dessert portions were on the larger size which is unusual. Will go back again for another special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fab time -thank you;)AEPdineeDined on 8/9/2014Absolutely fabulous service--food was eclectic and flavorful. Cocktails were just as enjoyable. Since our first and only visit was unfortunately unfavorable (to give credit -upon your initial opening)it was a breath of fresh air to experience the venue in another fashion. We couldn't have chosen a better venue to enjoy that evening. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding FoodJoerock1988Dined on 8/9/2014This was my first time there and my wife and I enjoyed the food, and the wait staff awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/9/2014Although I live very close to the River Stone Chophouse, for some reason, I had never the opportunity to dine there. The food, service and the atmosphere lived up to what I had previously heard about this place. The restaurant was very spacious and the chairs were very comfortable. I requested a location away from the center to avoid servers constantly walking closely pass me from one table to next carrying large trays of food. However, that was not a problem. The salmon was cooked to perfection and the squash casserole was absolutely delicious. I look forward to the next opportunity to dine there a try more dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JAYCDined on 8/6/2014Excellent dinner! The food was well prepared and the service was OUTSTANDING! Asked for special order to change the way a dish was prepared for dietary needs, and the request was happily met. The wait staff was amazing and provided excellent advice on the menu. Although expensive, it is worth the money and is an excellent location for a special occassion!Special Features:
- Very close, but no box of cigarsEssenZieDined on 8/2/2014The food and drinks here are top-notch. It would have been an excellent experience all-around if we hadn't had to wait so long: to be seated, acknowledged by anyone when we were seated, served more promptly, offered the opportunity to have dessert, and wished a happy anniversary (we cited this special occasion on our reservation through Open Table). The place is crazy-busy but that should not be an excuse for dropping the ball. We'd try it again, perhaps on a week-day when it might not be so busy.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous nightNYgirlVAworldDined on 8/1/2014We tried this restaurant for the first time and it exceeded our expectations. Our wait staff was awesome, food was amazing, and it was just a great night! We will definitely go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second visit was as good as first..KPReatsVIPDined on 7/26/2014This is the second time we've been to the River Stone Chophouse. Just like the first time, the service was great and the food delicious. We both ordered the filet medium rare and it was cooked perfectly. The salads are big enough to share, as are the sides. We both went home with enough to enjoy another meal. This place is a gem - it is lively, the staff is great, and the food delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectAuroraLeighDined on 7/26/2014River Stone Chophouse is the place we love to share with a few friends or go for our own quieter dining pleasure in the dining room. We also enjoy the bar on occasion when we just want to stop in. Either way the staff is always wonderful and has a way of making you feel as if you belong. The food and drinks are always excellent...truly a place where you can depend on that no matter what the occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Finest dining in SuffolkdocgmVIPDined on 7/23/2014We've dined at River Stone several times over the last few years. They have maintained their high quality in food and service. They have added some creative new appetizers since our last visit. Our server, Rizzo, was exceptionally knowledgable about menu offerings and wine pairings. The chef prepared the meat selections to perfection. My wife wished, however, that the Colorado Lamb Chops came more seasoned than they did and she found the pickled vegetables a bit overwhelming with the lamb.Special Features:
- Great place to dine.GreatDined on 7/23/2014Great food, service and atmosphere except the music was offensive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing experience!FortyDined on 7/21/2014Took my wife there for her birthday. The food quality was spectacular. Had a dry-aged ribeye that was like I'd never had a ribeye before. The service was perfect (thanks Dave). I happen to mention we were there for the Mrs. Birthday, when we got our dessert, a delicious chocolate and vanilla creme brulee duo, they had a couple of candles for the birthday girl. There was smooth Jazz playing in the background at just the right volume so I could actually hear what was playing while enjoying a pleasant conversation. Overall, the perfect place for a magical evening with a special someone. Oh, menu ain't limited to the online menu. There seems to be daily extras. We were lucky to have to salmon ceviche. So yummy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good for special occasionsearlDined on 7/19/2014Few as good BUT very very expensive! XxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gods but priceyDeeSingDined on 7/18/2014Good service, good food but expensive. Not recommended for kids or everyday outing. The decor is beautiful and my husband and I really enjoyed our meals but I would only good here for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Outstandingbucketlist1Dined on 7/18/2014I can not say anything negative. Dave, our waiter, was terrific. The food was divine. The establishment was nicely decorated. We highly recommend this restaurant. GO FOR THE RIB EYE if you eat meat. GO FOR THE scallops if you eat fish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousEatingGoodDined on 7/12/2014Our server Charlie discusses with us the menu options and the cuts of meat available to make our selection process much easier. His recommendations where excellent as we settled on the Lobster Stew, then dual New York Strip Steak Oscar with crab meat. My steak was alongside seared scallops the other with a lump crab cake. The dessert was made on site by the very own pastry chef and was excellent. I recommend a stop or several.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pricey but Great!cymreigDined on 7/12/2014As a first timer, the River Stone Chophouse was an excellent experience. Having checked out the menu on the website and finding it to be fairly pricey, I was a little apprehensive, but after having dined, it was worth every dollar spent. The portions were ample, the service top-notch, and the attention of management was evident; a manager visited our table at least twice that I recall, just to check on things. I would definitely make a return visit.Special Features:
- Proud CustomerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/12/2014I would like to say my visit was absolutely outstanding. I would come back each weekend just to enjoy the environment. Service was great ad the overall staff was outstanding. would recommend this to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/11/2014Went here on the advice of the hotel staff. Excellent choice!! Waiter was outstanding in his knowledge of the menu. Food was excellent, steaks were prepared to perfection!!Special Features:
- DIVINEDined on 7/11/2014GREAT FOOD GREAT SERVICE FOOD WAS PREPARED JUST RIGHT THE STAFF WAS ATTENTIVE WITHOUT BEING OVERBEARING A VERY ENJOYABLE EXPERIENCE.Special Features:
- Romantic spotPrettyNPink406Dined on 7/11/2014My husband and I went to River Stone Chophouse for the first time for our anniversary dinner and it was wonderful. Everyone who came to the table said Happy Anniversary and they went above and beyond to help make our night very special! At the end of the meal when our check and card were returned, the server asked how to pronounce our last name and thanked us by name. It was nice that he asked how to pronounce it instead of butchering it like many do. I highly recommend for special events or just because you're in the mood to treat yourself!Special Features:
- Excellent, very nice decorTarynDined on 7/11/2014I must say the restaurant has impeccable decor. The entire facility is modern yet elegant and almost woodsy. You feel you are in a luxurious place without it being stuffy. The drink and wine list boasts many selections. The wait staff is well educated on the menu and makes you feel comfortable and at home. You are not neglected ever. My disappointment lies in the steak. The salads were superb. The homeade bread was delicious. The drinks were execellent. The main course? Disappointing. I ordered a filet ($35) cooked medium. When I received my steak, half of it was overcooked and to my further disappointment, the reason why. Why? They butterfly the steak. If you order a steak make sure it is whole. If you want it medium or less.Special Features:
- Perfect!VicfirthjakeDined on 7/10/2014Absolutely amazing restaurant, perfect in every aspect. Phenomenal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/9/2014Service was superb! The level of attention by our Server, Dave was top notch! He was able to provide us with details on the menu that went above the normal level of service. The manager and staff made us feel important. Thank you very much for the great evening and fantastic meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!!YorktownFoodiesDined on 7/4/2014Great food, great service, great ambiance, great wine! Beautiful evening. We stopped in on the evening of the 4th of July. The steaks were perfect, the mixed berry salad was fresh, the calamari and sirloin bites appetizers were proportioned just right and the wine list was amazing. Our server was attentive without being overbearing. A perfect dinner with impeccable service!!! We will return, again!Special Features:
- rockyDined on 7/4/2014We made reservations and our table was ready in just a few minutes.....water was served just after seating...were told our server would be with us in just a moment. Can't remember our waiter's name was he was excellent from beginning to end. Explain the menu and the daily specials. My husband had the signature Ribeye and it was cooked just the way he wanted it....I ordered the filet and it was cook just the way I liked it. My husband also ordered the creamed spinash with bacon and it was wonderful. we were full and did not have dessert but the selection looked good. We would recommend to others!Special Features:
- rumrunnerOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/30/2014Although staff was exceedingly friendly, it appears that they were spread too thin.
- Anniversary Dinner25thanniversarydinnerDined on 6/30/2014Very nice place for an anniversary dinner....we had a very nice meal and the waiter was very nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.