River Stone Chophouse
8032 Harbour View Boulevard
Suffolk, VA 23435Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
River Stone Chophouse
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.riverstonechophouse.com/
- Phone: (757) 638-7990
- Hours of Operation:
Monday-Friday Bar and Raw Bar 3:00pm - Until
Monday-Saturday Dining Room 5:00pm - Until
Special Sunday Brunch in January 11:30- 2:30
Closed Sundays Evenings- Visit our sister restaurant Vintage Tavern on Sunday's.
Private Dining available for Group Luncheons and Dinners-with advanced notice.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Chris Jones
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cigar Room, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Four private dining rooms are available for groups from 6 to 150 to accommodate all your meeting or special occasion needs. In addition to corporate meetings and dinners, we are the perfect place to celebrate a birthday, career milestone, anniversary or family celebration. Please see the private dining section for additional information.
- Special Events: ~Monthly Wine Tastings.
~Raw Bar Specials Every Thursday
~DOD and Military Discount Wednesday Nights-
10% of food bill with the purchase of an entree.
~Appetizer Specials Mon - Fri from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m.-
50% off apps from 3 p.m. to 4 p.m.
25% off apps from 4 p.m. to 5 p.m.
(raw bar items are excluded)
~Passion for Paws Picnic and Whisker's Wine Tasting, Sept. 8th for Suffolk Human Society. See our website for details.
~Suffolk Restaurant Week is Nov 2nd thru 9th.
Please visit our website for additional information.
A word from River Stone Chophouse
From the team that brought the celebrated and award winning Vintage Tavern to Suffolk comes River Stone Chophouse. Featuring steaks and fresh seafood in a beautifully designed traditional craftsman-era architecture. Join us for a cocktail lounge and raw bar, then have dinner by the stone fireplace. River Stone demonstrates a unique commitment to providing special dining experiences to patrons and is excited to be the first Chophouse in Hampton Roads. River Stone features Hereford beef, a raw bar, fresh lobster and an extensive wine list to compliment the cuisine. Centrally located in Northern Suffolk, only minutes from five surrounding cities.Continued
Late night dining is available in the bar as well as a lighter fare menu in the lounge. Happy Hour specials Monday to Friday 3-7pm. Reservations are recommended.
Late night dining is available in the bar as well as a lighter fare menu in the lounge. Happy Hour specials Monday to Friday 3-7pm. Reservations are recommended.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
River Stone Chophouse - Best Restaurants in Suffolk ›
River Stone Chophouse reviews from OpenTable diners
68 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (52)romantic (40)notable wine list (29)fit for foodies (21)neighborhood gem (18)good for groups (16)late-night find (6)hot spot (6)great for outdoor dining (4)vibrant bar scene (3)scenic view (1)Show More
- Great steaks!susfrannDined on 11/15/2014We were lucky enough to be there for Restaurant Week. They had a very nice menu setup of some wonderful steaks, chicken some salmon. The server seemed to be a little rushed. I don't know if they felt they were too busy or they were just trying to get more people seated. There was no dowm time between courses. We would have liked to have had the service to be a little bit more attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Romantic dinnermrjak65Dined on 11/14/2014Reserved for 4 during restaurant week. We had not dined here before and were warmly greeted at the door upon our arrival and offered coat check. The interior was warm and inviting and the decor was very elegant. The waitress and wait staff were very friendly and knowledgeable and prompt with service. The food was excellent and everything was cooked to our request. We look forward to a return visit and even to trying their happy hour.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall just okOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/11/2014I went to the Chop House during Suffolk restaurant week.....the food was very good but portions were very small but that may be because prices were lower for restaurant week. The bread portions were almost laughable...it looked like the took a slice of bread and cut it half for the two of us. Steak was good, tender and tasty, salad was good though very small. Crime brûlée for dessert was excellent!
- Food/DecorLuvsteakDined on 11/7/2014It reminded me of Grove Park Inn in NC. The food was awesome and we were instantly sold on the fact you served Smartmouth.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Secret SpotweLUVfoodDined on 11/1/2014This is a great spot that my wife and I like to hit just to get away to a quiet place with excellent food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply an oasisTheBarkersDined on 10/27/2014My friend Steve suggested that I take my wife here for our 16th wedding anniversary and it was money well spent. From the fire pit outside to Hannah our waitress, everything was wonderful and a treat for all the senses.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent service!apersonDined on 10/25/2014I recently celebrated my 20th birthday here and loved it! The waitress was so delightful and the overall atmosphere was perfect for the occasionSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classic Diningeodo3Dined on 10/24/2014Enjoyed the Riverstone Chophouse. Drinks were fabulous (to include Pappy Van Winkle!) and food was exceptional. Fully anticipated eating a steak, but saw the BBQ Bacon Cheddar Meatloaf on Mashed Potatoes- had to get it and it was great! Best Creme Brûlée I have had!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and service was amazing.MsiposDined on 10/17/2014Steaks were cut and prepared perfect. The side selection was not your typical veg and potatoe, very interesting and tasted great!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Weekend Get Away with My WifeGreatSteakDined on 10/11/2014We we're traveling back from Washington, D.C. and spent the night in the Norfolk, VA area. We had a very romantic dinner, great food, great service. I travel quite a bit and eat out regularly. This was one of the best meals I've had in many months. It was an unexpected find. I highly recommend it for others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Nice Restaurant and StaffconcreteDined on 10/11/2014We ate for the first time here this past Saturday night. We were served by Charlie. He is a great asset to your business. My son eats there often and recommended River Stone and Charlie. It was a great night, the food was wonderful and we will surely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FIVE STARTRAVISDined on 10/10/2014I LOVE RIVER STONE CHOPHOUSE. I WOULD RECOMMEND FOR ANY ONE TO COME AND ENJOY THE FOOD AND FEEL OF HOME HERE. THIS WAS MY SECOND TIME GOING AND IT WAS BETTER THAN THE FIRST TIME. I ASKED FOR SPECIAL THINGS TO BE DONE BEFORE I ARRIVED AND IT WAS WAY MORE THAN WHAT I EXPECTED. RIVER STONE CHOPHOUSE MADE IT VERY EASY TO BE ABLE TO PROPOSE TO MY FUTURE WIFE AND TO ENJOY THE MOMENT. THANKS RIVER STONE CHOPHOUSE YOU WILL SURELY BE SEEING ME AGAIN.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently ExcellentJTYarDined on 10/9/2014This is the 5th time I have eaten at River Stone and the food and service is always of the highest quality. Although, I am going to miss their chopped salad, since they have taken it off their menu. Their raw bar and steaks keep me coming backSpecial Features:
- Disappointedbi1rdDined on 10/1/2014Meal wasn't that outstanding for the price. Way overpriced!!!
- Hats off to River Stone ChophouseLeadthewayDined on 9/30/2014Occasion was for a romantic birthday celebration. As customary, we were warmly greeted and escorted to our reserved table. Dining room ambience sets this restaurant apart. Very fresh shrimp cocktail, among best I've ever had. Crab dip appetizer was hot with large chunks of crab meat. Bib lettuce salad, which we've had in the past, remains our favorite and a gem on the menu. Service was attentive and professional. Waiter brought my wife a small gelatto cake w/ a lit candle to acknowledge her birthday. Nice touch. A stand out location to hold special events.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/26/2014The last time I ate at River Stone it was great! This time I was so disappointed. The soup was lukewarm; the bread was bland. Even though our service was excellent, the crab cakes were not as good as last time. They had more filler and much less crab. I was so sad because I had taken someone there for a special occasion.Special Features:
- World-class food!ScottDined on 9/23/2014I have been fortunate enough to eat at some the top restaurants in the world during my travels. The food at River Stone gives no ground to those chefs! Put this restaurant on your " must experience" list!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for anniversaryOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/20/2014Awesome food, awesome service. Will definitely be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday dinnerDrychickenDined on 9/20/2014The service and the atmosphere was outstanding. The food didn't match the service or the atmosphere. I was told that the food and the service was great. We had the roasted chicken, and we both agreed that it was dry. We would come back, but I wI'll not get the chickenSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for special occasionsL8rG8rDined on 9/13/2014I was hoping for a little more for the money. For that kind of money I want to be blown away. Everything was excellent but just a little off. They set the bar very high and we felt like they just didn't quite meet it. Of course, when you shoot for the stars, even falling a bit short is an excellent experience.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/13/2014Second trip here, did not disappoint. Awesome place to take a special someone!Special Features:
- Food was averageOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014My wife and I attended this restaurant for our 20th anniversary we are really looking forward to it. The service was great and the ambience was excellent but the food was just average almost below average for the price.
- Not badOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/5/2014Very expensive experience and the quality of the food was not as expected. Very professional setting and respectful audience.Special Features:
- Very NiceVT93Dined on 9/5/2014Went on the recommendation of a neighbor for my wife's birthday. It was worth the half-hour drive. I had the Jambalaya and my wife the colossal shrimp. Both were good, especially the grilled shrimp. Great wine list and good selection of craft beers.Special Features:
- Amazing!LuvmygirlDined on 9/4/2014Thoroughly enjoyed dinner. Took my daughter for her birthday and was impressed with the warmth of the staff. The food was amazing as well. I had the grilled salmon and I have never had such a perfectly cooked piece of salmon. Delicious in flavor, perfect size and done just right. Would recommend River Stone to anyone and already have!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over priced and over ratedBob2Dined on 8/30/2014Very noisy. Service was slow and inattentive. Rolls looked and tasted like they'd come from Food Lion. "Butter" tasted more like margarine. Overall food quality was excellent, but inattention to details and high prices ($38 for five scallops?) preclude a higher rating.
- Nice But PriceyBobKat01Dined on 8/29/2014Had a gift card and it was a special occasion so we decided to give the venue a try. Great service & good steaks. With an appetizer (calamari), a garden variety bottle of wine, 2 entrees, ala carte vegetables and a shared dessert, the dinner rang it at $300 for the 2 of us. On the way home, we remarked that no occasion is THAT special and no steak is THAT good. Glad we went, won't be back though unless we hit the lottery.Special Features:
- The place for special occasionsOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/26/2014This was our third visit to River Stone Chophouse and we come here to celebrate special occasions like our wedding anniversary or Mother's Day. The service is always top notch. Its nice to even have management walk around to ask how things are! The food is ALWAYS good and enjoyable from the appetizer to dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So so....OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/23/2014We went to Riverstone with high expectations, but unfortunately our experience fell a little flat. Don't get me wrong, it's a gem of a resteraunt tucked away in Suffolk, with an ambiance to rival the fanciest of venues. But that's where it stops. Our server seemed to be new, and that's not that big of an issue normally. But in a place of this caliber I would expect someone new to continue to shadow a more experienced server until they were ready. Ours was very inattentive (the place was empty), she seemed confused about the specials, and she had limited knowledge of the wine list. My steak was on par with what I could've ordered at Outback. Nothing to really write home about. The lobster was overcooked as well. Ruth's Chris is better.
- A Night OutonthelookoutDined on 8/23/2014The entire experience was wonderful. The staff was very attentive, provided excellent recommendations to assist in our choices and the food was exceptional. The manager, Ken, was very personable and ensured that our experience met with our expectations: creating a very warm, inviting environment. We will most definitely be dining there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superbmbw1Dined on 8/22/2014Great food...the steaks i.e. Filet Mignon, were out of this world!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Take your walletKatmueDined on 8/15/2014Although the steaks were good they are very overpriced. I was surprised at how much higher the prices are from just a year ago. With that said the food is delicious and plentiful. Service was good and not too overbearing. Dessert portions were on the larger size which is unusual. Will go back again for another special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fab time -thank you;)AEPdineeDined on 8/9/2014Absolutely fabulous service--food was eclectic and flavorful. Cocktails were just as enjoyable. Since our first and only visit was unfortunately unfavorable (to give credit -upon your initial opening)it was a breath of fresh air to experience the venue in another fashion. We couldn't have chosen a better venue to enjoy that evening. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding FoodJoerock1988Dined on 8/9/2014This was my first time there and my wife and I enjoyed the food, and the wait staff awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/9/2014Although I live very close to the River Stone Chophouse, for some reason, I had never the opportunity to dine there. The food, service and the atmosphere lived up to what I had previously heard about this place. The restaurant was very spacious and the chairs were very comfortable. I requested a location away from the center to avoid servers constantly walking closely pass me from one table to next carrying large trays of food. However, that was not a problem. The salmon was cooked to perfection and the squash casserole was absolutely delicious. I look forward to the next opportunity to dine there a try more dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JAYCDined on 8/6/2014Excellent dinner! The food was well prepared and the service was OUTSTANDING! Asked for special order to change the way a dish was prepared for dietary needs, and the request was happily met. The wait staff was amazing and provided excellent advice on the menu. Although expensive, it is worth the money and is an excellent location for a special occassion!Special Features:
- Very close, but no box of cigarsEssenZieDined on 8/2/2014The food and drinks here are top-notch. It would have been an excellent experience all-around if we hadn't had to wait so long: to be seated, acknowledged by anyone when we were seated, served more promptly, offered the opportunity to have dessert, and wished a happy anniversary (we cited this special occasion on our reservation through Open Table). The place is crazy-busy but that should not be an excuse for dropping the ball. We'd try it again, perhaps on a week-day when it might not be so busy.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous nightNYgirlVAworldDined on 8/1/2014We tried this restaurant for the first time and it exceeded our expectations. Our wait staff was awesome, food was amazing, and it was just a great night! We will definitely go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 836 reviews are from the River Stone Chophouse reviews archive.
- Second visit was as good as first..KPReatsVIPDined on 7/26/2014This is the second time we've been to the River Stone Chophouse. Just like the first time, the service was great and the food delicious. We both ordered the filet medium rare and it was cooked perfectly. The salads are big enough to share, as are the sides. We both went home with enough to enjoy another meal. This place is a gem - it is lively, the staff is great, and the food delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectAuroraLeighDined on 7/26/2014River Stone Chophouse is the place we love to share with a few friends or go for our own quieter dining pleasure in the dining room. We also enjoy the bar on occasion when we just want to stop in. Either way the staff is always wonderful and has a way of making you feel as if you belong. The food and drinks are always excellent...truly a place where you can depend on that no matter what the occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.