12833 Ventura Blvd.
Studio City, CA 91604Neighborhood:
Gastro PubPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.sportsmenslodge.com/
- Phone: 8184327500x
- Hours of Operation:
Happy Hour: 5pm-7pm and 9pm-11pm everyday!
Brunch Saturday and Sunday 11am-3pm (with $12 bottomless mimosas)
Brunch Buffet on Sunday (limited a la carte) 11am-3pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Wild Game, Gastro Pub, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Marcos Arana
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), View, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: Our Executive Chef offers a variety of options, from simple 'Happy Hour' receptions to formal wine pairing dinners. Full bar options available, including hand crafted cocktails, fine wines and a selection of craft beers.
- Entertainment: DJ and Beer Pong on Friday nights starting at 10pm
Karaoke on Saturday nights starting at 9pm
A word from River Rock
River Rock restaurant and bar is located at the historic Sportsmen's Lodge Event Center in Studio City. It features a lodge inspired menu including trout, duck and steaks. Set by our famous trout ponds (rumored to be where John Wayne taught his kids to fish) River Rock is a transporting restaurant and bar where you can escape the typical dining scene and "travel" to a cabin in the woods. Join us on Saturday and Sunday for brunch, or any night for dinner. Come join us for Beer Pong and DJ on Friday nights and Karaoke on Saturday nights.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
River Rock - Best Restaurants in Studio City ›
River Rock reviews from OpenTable diners
28 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (14)great for brunch (13)neighborhood gem (11)good for groups (11)romantic (10)great for lunch (9)scenic view (6)special occasion (6)fit for foodies (4)vibrant bar scene (2)kid-friendly (2)late-night find (2)notable wine list (2)hot spot (1)Show More
- Sunday brunchaminlaVIPDined on 9/7/2014A friend suggested going to River Rock because he wanted to enjoy the Bottomless Mimosas. It was a great buffet - lots of variety (meats and vegetables, plus the usual brunch fare - omelets, waffles, etc.) and the food quality was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food/service not impressiveAngelDined on 9/7/2014Brunch ran out of oysters 2 hours before it closes. We had to call the servers many times to replenish drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great brunch locationBondilynDined on 8/24/2014Great brunch buffet with lots of yummy options (and $12 bottomless mimosas!). Loved the outdoor seating around a pond with fountain. Brought my family but also thought it would be great for a romantic brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NancyDined on 8/23/2014This restaurant is more of a bar scene and less of a restaurant. They removed tables in the center of the restaurant and replaced them with couches. I liked it much better the old way. The menu also changed. It has been simplified not as inventive.Special Features:
- Great Food But Limited MenuPitbull1Dined on 8/22/2014My wife and I looked at their menu on line and decided what we wanted for both our appetizer and main course. When we arrived the menu was much more limited than what we saw on line. The appetizer we wanted or the entree my wife wanted were no longer on the menu. Many of the dishes shown on line were no longer available. On the plus side the food we did order was very well prepared and tasty. The staff is young, attractive, and attentive.Special Features:
- A real neighborhood findrhonachkaDined on 8/20/2014I am part of a trio, all of us of the AARP generation. Love coming here with my friends for a very tasty, quiet happy hour. On cool evenings, it`s wonderful to sit outside. Great find!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/18/2014The food was very tasty, but the portions were small, especially for the prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- chitowngirlDined on 8/17/2014Had no idea about River Rock and I was pleasantly surprised with everything including staff, service and food. Will return for sure with family and friends.Special Features:
- Arfa3106Dined on 8/6/2014Our experience at the restaurant was very poor. The food was mediocre, everything was very salty. Service was better than the food. The place needs a makeover. We will never return to the restaurant.
- Most was excellent and mimossasOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/27/2014We went on a Sunday for brunch and lunch with the family for a special occasion. The buffet looked and was very good, as was the summer salad and chicken sandwich. The soft shell crab sandwich was just ok, the amount of crab I received compared to the price charged and what everyone else ate, was disappointing. It was good, but still very overpriced. Skip on the softshell crab sandwich and you will enjoy your experience. Did I mention bottomless mimosas for only 12 a piece, that helped the fun! The atmosphere was also fun, loved the retro lodge furnishings and the old movies playing. But the current top 20 music being blasted took away from the experience. Still definitely a good valley pick/Special Features:
- Worth Checking Out!BonnieBDined on 7/25/2014The food and service were great at this hidden away neighborhood gem. They remodeled the old Muddy Moose Bar & Grill and the old customers need to come back! The ambiance is great and it's beautifully remodeled. The staff is attentive and friendly. This place could really be a cool Friday or Saturday night hang out and it's close to North Hollywood, Studio City, Sherman Oaks and Encino. There are good things happening at the River Rock, so come in and check it out!Special Features:
- Fantastic Local DiningSlantedOpinonDined on 7/21/2014My favorite local restaurant. Lorenzo is the General Manager, he'll make sure you all your needs are met. Marcos is the Chef that should have his own show. Awesome meals. The rest of the Staff Nikko and Brandon and company are all great. Attention to detail.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A mixed bagrhonachkaDined on 7/16/2014Our waitress was very attentive but the happy hour food, disappointing. Noisy, especially with the TV on.Special Features:
- Quiet Scenic Place for BreakfastmrcoolDined on 7/13/2014At River Rock we sat outside in the Patio next to the large pond which included a nice waterfall. It was quiet and peaceful and refreshing. The food was also very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great except…Kimor77Dined on 7/13/2014When I got there early I decided to use the bathroom. I use a wheelchair so I need a special stall. That stall was out of order, and although the woman who opened the door for me said she would leave the door open for me to get out, it was shut and I had no way out of the bathroom. It all worked out but it was a pretty sloppy start to the afternoon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awful placeEater123Dined on 6/29/2014I would not recommend River Rock to anyone, unless they enjoy salt for dinner and heavy metal blasted at ear-splitting levels as a digestif! (Twice, we asked if they could turn the music down just a bit and twice nothing happened.) Sportsmans Lodge bills this as "fining dining" however it is anything but. Food is terrible--I have been to much better diners. Aesthetics awful, service poor. The dining room even has musty smell, like a house that hasn't been lived in for 50 years. I wouldn't take my worst enemy to eat here. I wouldn't even take my worst enemy for a drink at the bar--it's that bad. Whoever owns Sportsman Lodge, whoever runs this place, ought to be ashamed, close it down, and start all over again. Right now, it's a bad joke.
- Never again...KarenDined on 6/15/2014While the food was good, the service wasn't. Inattentive wait staff and when we finally got their attention, we were wholly unimpressed with the way the waitress handled our order. She was completely clueless as to what the restaurant offered in terms of the bar menu -- she actually told us that the bar did not serve any kind of after dinner drink -- which of course wasn't the case. More irritating was the bar staff who was clearly inexperienced in the art of tending bar. Twice our drinks were made incorrectly and that was after waiting 20 minutes. I mean who doesn't know how to make a martini. When they finally arrived for the second time, we just settled -- believe me -- they were not well made -- yuck! Don't eat or drink here.
- Father's Day Brunch - great pick!FoodviewDined on 6/15/2014Great for groups, booked reservations a few days before Fathers day for brunch. Good food & drinks. Great outdoor ambiance. Service was just ok. Nice servers but after our plates were picked up we sat for 30 mins before the check came and we had to nudge them to bring the bill to the table. I would definitely go back for a group brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- River Rock rocksrhonachkaDined on 6/4/2014Lovely for Happy hour! Fine assortment of drinks, tasty appetizers, pleasant ambience. A neighborhood gem - the quiet atmosphere most appreciated.Special Features:
- Can't give a good reviewOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/30/2014Wish I could give this place a better rating but no way. The inside was so dark and unappealing we opted to eat outside. Granted the tables are under trees but they could have taken the leaves and debris off our plates before the seated us. The Red, White and Blue salad was very good. The Lobster Bisque was watery and way too salty. We liked the Poor Man's Lobster and the Mushroom Ravioli but the Short Ribs were too tough. Kudos to Bob for being a very good server. But don't think we'll be back. No ambiance and the food was nothing to rave about.
- The following 140 reviews are from the River Rock reviews archive.
- nice people but not enough of themdasdloDined on 5/18/2014everyone tried to give the best service but it was obvious either people didnt show or very poor planning. food was great and the people that were there, were nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Studio City GemPamBaker91423VIPDined on 5/9/2014Great drinks! Yummy food...such a nice, hidden gem in the Valley! Love the updated Sportsmen's Lodge!Special Features:
- Nice ponds!La1960VIPDined on 3/30/2014My NY steak was excellent as was the pork chop and mashed potatoes. We were a party of 9 and I think the waitress was a little overwhelmed, but we did get eveything we ordered. We strolled the grounds afterwards and the ponds are very charming in the evening.Special Features:
- Not for brunchsue49ersDined on 3/23/2014We went to celebrate my daughter's birthday. They never acknowledged it. The waiter didn't bring my cranberry juice until I had finished my meal. We had to wait for refills on water and mimosas. How can they be bottomless if you can't get a refill? The food was mediocre except for the French toast. We will not return.
- Seems like the crowd has diedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/15/2014Seems like the crowd has died down, really bummed that the DJ on Saturday nights is no longer available. The music was always pretty good, now it's kind of boring. But the food is still pretty decent and service is ok.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My friend and I both hardOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/15/2014My friend and I both hard stomach distress-we both had different entrees although had shared a salad. Pricey for the quality.
- Studio City BrunchSarahDined on 3/9/2014We sat outdoors by the "river rocks" and were greeted with fresh, warm croissants and bottomless mimosas! Brunch was off to a great start! The four of us agreed that the food was very good, pleasantly plated and served, and we enjoyed our spring brunch outdoors!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food, disappointing servicehungry4moreVIPDined on 3/1/2014we've been here twice and both times the food was fabulous. sadly, on both occasions, the service was sincere, but unprofessional. we arrived early, planning to have a drink at the bar. we found our friends were already at there, as well. the hostess, however, seemed intent about seating us immediately. not wanting to be rushed, I allowed her to show me to the table, put my purse & jacket down, and returned to the bar for a few minutes., at dinner, the servers did their best to please, but they are obvious newbies and can't answer knowledgeably about the dishes offered or the wine & beer available.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not a fanKageDined on 2/16/2014needs to be renovated, the physical location and menu.
- Fine dining & loud bar!Saffi2050VIPDined on 2/12/2014I just love this restaurant. The good & wine are superb. Prices are HIGH - too high. But I come back (occasionally) anyway! Terrific service with the exception of the bartender with the ridiculously loud laugh. The bar looks fun, too - they need more separation so the restaurant can be more separate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You're not Ruth's or FlemmingsNonameaterVIPDined on 2/11/2014It was ok. I took about 6 friends for dinner on a Tuesday. One friend came late and ordered a steak. Her meal Didnt come any faster considering we just recd our meals and our waitress was asked if they could rush it. Mind you, we were basically the only people eating. There was one other table eying- 2 people. They weren't busy at all. I just think their prices were too high for what you got. At those prices I would much rather eat at Ruth's Steak or at Flemmings. They don't even compare. And they're happy hour prices aren't really happy. A regular cheap red wine at $8 is $7 during happy hour. My friends agreed. They thought it was over priced for what you got. There old menu was better.
- Always Excellent!ecmoralesVIPDined on 2/7/2014River Rock always delivers. Every visit has been excellent -- the food and the service. Knowing I can count on the consistency is key. And the menu varies just enough to keep it interesting.Special Features:
- Not what I expected.SammiLinDined on 2/6/2014For the past year, I was looking forward to dining here. Unfortunately, I was not pleased. My dish was way to fishy and had no taste, plus was missing half the ingredients that were mentioned on the menu. My boyfriend's dish was also lacking in taste. In addition, the bread, which was requested several times, came only after we were done eating. Lastly, the dessert was only mediocre.
- Dine LA DinnerChewieDined on 1/30/2014The food here is delicious!!! We started with the Duck Potstickers and Lobster Bisque--both were excellent. I ordered the Roasted Salmon, which was really nice and tender. The asparagus that came with it was also well-prepared. My friend ordered Short Ribs, which came on a puff pastry--yuuumm. We finished the experience with an Apple Tart Tatin and Mango Mousse. I'm not a huge mousse fan, but I was extremely delighted, and the tatin was warmed & absolutely delicious. My only complaint was that the server pretty much ruined my dessert experience (my favorite course!) by being super pushy about needing to close out. I didn't like that at all. So I guess the tip here is to not start dinner at 9p unless you want to be pestered about the bill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HIddenRichellDined on 1/29/2014It was difficult to find the entrance to the restaurant..it is in a separate wing of a Hotel called Event Center, on the opposite side of a hotel parking lot. The small sign was on the glass window. The ambience was retro relaxed..more like a cocktail lounge... and the food was upscale but not intimidating. If I to pick a place to have a nice meal and was nearby I would go again. Server was terrific.Special Features:
- Very good food in a nice settingrgzspickVIPDined on 1/28/2014Our third dinner here, and it was very good. I had duck potstickers to start, a very nice lemon sauced salmon for my entrée, and apple tart tatin for dessert as part of the Dine LA set menu. My wife had a nice salad with walnuts to start, beef short ribs, and the apple tart tatin for dessert also. Nice server who was attentive to our needs. All in all, a very good place for a casual dinner in a nice atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We decided to try out RiverOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/26/2014We decided to try out River Rock through the DineLA Week promotion. It's tucked away next to the Sportsmans Lodge. The ambiance of River Rock is great! I was surprised when I entered the restaurant of the feel and look of the place. You feel as if you entered an upscale and cozy mountain lodge, sprinkled with a touch of old Hollywood (quotes from famous actors and actresses dot the walls). The serving staff seems they may be understaffed, but very pleasant none the less. The food here (DineLA Week selections) were wonderful. Starter: Duck Potsitckers with hoisin sauce, Chinese hot mustard and Asian Slaw; Entree: Wild Mushroom Ravioli with truffle cheddar sauce; Dessert: Creme Brulee with Fresh BerriesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service top notch.Very pro.Ourrodgers014Dined on 12/31/2013Service top notch.Very pro.Our waiter(sorry I dont remember his name) attentive,polite , accomadating yet not obtrusive.She had the filet,I had the lobster.Excelently prepared though I must say portions rather small.Elegant atmosphere.Loved the outdoor theme,with the lit trees,and lake.Dance floor could be bigger but it was New Years Eve. Should be enough for most nights.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 12/31/2013We went here for New Years Eve, it was awful and we'll never go back. The food was mediocre, my lobster was horribly over cooked. The service, however, was BAD! They weren't terribly busy, but I hardly ever saw our waiter (or anyone else for that matter). We sited thirty minutes with empty glasses and then another forty minutes after finishing for the check (even after requesting it directly from the manager). The final blow... The check included a 20% gratuity! Our waiter did not deserve a tip for our horrid service and I was livid I was forced to leave $40 for him. If you are wanting to have a special night, DON'T go here!
- Early Sunday SupperToboDined on 12/3/2013We went just as they opened on a Sunday evening, and it was extremely quiet. We were welcomed and served with promptness and politeness, but not intrusive. We loved our meal - I had chicken and husband had salmon. It's a great place for steak, though neither of us eat that. I can't think of a nicer but casual neighborhood spot to meet friends for a drink or dinner. I suspect it gets very lively later into the evening. We definitely will go back!Special Features: