12833 Ventura Blvd.
Studio City, CA 91604Neighborhood:
Gastro PubPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.sportsmenslodge.com/
- Phone: (818) 432-7500
- Hours of Operation:
Happy Hour: 5pm-7pm and 9pm-11pm everyday!
Saturday Brunch: A la carte
Sunday Brunch: Buffet and limited a la carte from 10am-3pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Wild Game, Gastro Pub, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Marcos Arana
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), View, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: Our Executive Chef offers a variety of options, from simple 'Happy Hour' receptions to formal wine pairing dinners. Full bar options available, including hand crafted cocktails, fine wines and a selection of craft beers.
- Entertainment: DJ and Beer Pong on Friday nights starting at 10pm
Karaoke on Saturday nights starting at 9pm
A word from River Rock
River Rock restaurant and bar is located at the historic Sportsmen's Lodge Event Center in Studio City. It features a lodge inspired menu including trout, duck and steaks. Set by our famous trout ponds (rumored to be where John Wayne taught his kids to fish) River Rock is a transporting restaurant and bar where you can escape the typical dining scene and "travel" to a cabin in the woods. Join us on Saturday and Sunday for brunch, or any night for dinner. Come join us for weekly fun:Continued
Thursday Nights: Line Dancing or Salsa (Call for schedule)
Friday Nights: Beer Pong and DJ
Saturday Nights: Karaoke and DJ
Thursday Nights: Line Dancing or Salsa (Call for schedule)
Friday Nights: Beer Pong and DJ
Saturday Nights: Karaoke and DJ
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
River Rock - Best Restaurants in Studio City ›
River Rock reviews from OpenTable diners
32 reviews since July 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (13)great for brunch (12)romantic (10)neighborhood gem (10)good for groups (8)scenic view (6)special occasion (5)great for lunch (4)fit for foodies (2)vibrant bar scene (2)notable wine list (1)late-night find (1)kid-friendly (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- Service was the factorBoinlaDined on 11/4/2014The atmosphere is what you would expect from the Sportsman's Lodge. Sportsmanish. The food was pubish. The Alligator does taste like chicken. The pulled Port was really good, sweet BBQ but good. The problem I had was the service. There only seemed to be one waitress on the floor and we got our appetizer and bread about 10 minutes before we got our bottle of wine or silverware. The rest of the experience was good. The waitress was nice and friendly. Just seemed to not be in a super rush. That could be that she had the entire restaurant.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 11/4/2014The food was very good. The service was quite slow, with each dish taking approximately 20 minutes to come out. None of our orders came out at the same time so we found ourselves waiting for the other meals to arrive before we could begin ours. We had mentioned that we were bringing our dog (which is allowed on the patio) prior to our dinner but they seemed to be frustrated that we followed through with actually bringing her. They sat us out on the patio with no heaters, in the dark, and no true table setting. Also, people were walking through that area to get to the banquet area in the back. It was not a "peaceful" or quiet dinner whatsoever.Special Features:
- River RocbrunchgreenstDined on 11/2/2014The food was good and the pricing reasonable for a large and varied buffet including some expensive choices. That was it though. The room is ordinary and the ambience disturbed by too loud and inappropriate music. I don't want to hear electronic and EMO with Sunday brunch; Better suited for a club scene. They don't seem to realize the kind of crowd they're getting or are trying to get a younger, hipper crowd - which the Sportsmen has never had. The buffet plates were wet. The hostess was condescending. The waitress was good , but two for the whole place inside and out. This place as always had a problem with professionalism and thoroughness in all its different approaches over the years.Special Features:
- neighborhood gemrhonachkaVIPDined on 10/29/2014Lovely spot for Happy Hour. Delicious bites, good drinks, peaceful. Romantic ambiance.Special Features:
- How do it know?BelleviewerDined on 10/28/2014Is it a bar? a disco? an event center? a funeral home? a filming location? a catering hall? or a full service restaurant? After 5 or 6 meals over the last two years, and many at its sister kitchen next door.....It has everything a restaurant manager could want, except decent top management. Domestic disputes amongst staff at the front door; customers and unbussed tables ignored for half-hours on end; bottomless mimosas throttled (to one) by slow service. The only bright lights over the years has been the "self serve" Sunday brunch & and professional poolside bar-tenders next door - who maintain calm, and provide great customer service, in spite of the disorder around them.Special Features:
- Great brunch buffet, spotty serviceDijouVIPDined on 10/19/2014We went for Sunday brunch and I was quite impressed with the variety and quality of the brunch options even though the layout was small. All the usual suspects (prime rib, omelet bar, waffle bar) with a couple of nice surprises (short ribs, oysters). But trying to get the attention of a server for coffee refills and the like was a challenge, but then the coffee was far less impressive than the food.
- Love BrunchMiaMarajuanaDined on 10/19/2014I love brunch here with $12.99 bottomlesss mimosas. service was a bit slow but maybe it was just a short handed daySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- river rock DOES NOT rock!diningdivaDined on 10/12/2014While the place looks great, the food and service were some of the worst I have had in a restaurant in a long time. The waitress couldn't even get the ice tea order straight. Asked for ice tea with an extra glass of ice.Got the extra glass of ice but the tea came without any ice in the glass. I asked why there was no ice in the glass and she said because there wasn't any in the pitcher. Dah! How about adding some to the glass before you pour the tea. From there, things went south. 45 minute wait for an order of pancakes with bacon. Bacon showed up about seven minutes after the pancakes which were now cold and had to ask for syrup. I could go on and on but I think you get the picture......
- Was this a restaurant or a bar?ArmenDined on 10/11/2014We walked in at 7:02 for our 7:00pm reservation and immediately the hostess ran in the other direction, once we were finally seated no place settings, napkins forks etc we had to ask for them 3 times before getting them. Overall the food was good but it was extremely loud and it really didn't feel like a restaurant more like a bar.
- differenthbmbDined on 9/20/2014Our friends had their wedding reception here a year ago. We came back with them to celebrate their anniversary. The restaurant was completely different. There are very few tables for dining and the lounge area is completely devoid of seating. The servers were clearly cocktail waitresses and not familiar with food service. All of the other people were there for the bar. There were two tables for dinner and then the rest was couches for drinking. The interesting part was that the food was very good, as we remembered it from a year ago. Once the karaoke started up we got out of there. Too bad the atmosphere has turned into a bad frat party because it used to be cool and polished. Wont be returning.Special Features:
- Great Food!teachermom1954VIPDined on 9/19/2014I have eaten here with my sister and brother in law several times and so I wanted to take some friends there. The food was amazing but the service was really slow. It took forever to get our appetizer to us and then they brought my friend's salad which she had specifically said was her main course out before everything else. She had to send it back and ask for it to be brought out with our main meals. I know it is under new management and I think they really need to re think all the couches in the middle of the eating area. Just isn't a good set up. But the food was just as I remembered it so that was a PLUS!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday brunchaminlaVIPDined on 9/7/2014A friend suggested going to River Rock because he wanted to enjoy the Bottomless Mimosas. It was a great buffet - lots of variety (meats and vegetables, plus the usual brunch fare - omelets, waffles, etc.) and the food quality was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food/service not impressiveAngelDined on 9/7/2014Brunch ran out of oysters 2 hours before it closes. We had to call the servers many times to replenish drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great brunch locationBondilynDined on 8/24/2014Great brunch buffet with lots of yummy options (and $12 bottomless mimosas!). Loved the outdoor seating around a pond with fountain. Brought my family but also thought it would be great for a romantic brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NancyDined on 8/23/2014This restaurant is more of a bar scene and less of a restaurant. They removed tables in the center of the restaurant and replaced them with couches. I liked it much better the old way. The menu also changed. It has been simplified not as inventive.Special Features:
- Great Food But Limited MenuPitbull1Dined on 8/22/2014My wife and I looked at their menu on line and decided what we wanted for both our appetizer and main course. When we arrived the menu was much more limited than what we saw on line. The appetizer we wanted or the entree my wife wanted were no longer on the menu. Many of the dishes shown on line were no longer available. On the plus side the food we did order was very well prepared and tasty. The staff is young, attractive, and attentive.Special Features:
- A real neighborhood findrhonachkaVIPDined on 8/20/2014I am part of a trio, all of us of the AARP generation. Love coming here with my friends for a very tasty, quiet happy hour. On cool evenings, it`s wonderful to sit outside. Great find!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/18/2014The food was very tasty, but the portions were small, especially for the prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- chitowngirlDined on 8/17/2014Had no idea about River Rock and I was pleasantly surprised with everything including staff, service and food. Will return for sure with family and friends.Special Features:
- Arfa3106Dined on 8/6/2014Our experience at the restaurant was very poor. The food was mediocre, everything was very salty. Service was better than the food. The place needs a makeover. We will never return to the restaurant.
- Most was excellent and mimossasOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/27/2014We went on a Sunday for brunch and lunch with the family for a special occasion. The buffet looked and was very good, as was the summer salad and chicken sandwich. The soft shell crab sandwich was just ok, the amount of crab I received compared to the price charged and what everyone else ate, was disappointing. It was good, but still very overpriced. Skip on the softshell crab sandwich and you will enjoy your experience. Did I mention bottomless mimosas for only 12 a piece, that helped the fun! The atmosphere was also fun, loved the retro lodge furnishings and the old movies playing. But the current top 20 music being blasted took away from the experience. Still definitely a good valley pick/Special Features:
- Worth Checking Out!BonnieBDined on 7/25/2014The food and service were great at this hidden away neighborhood gem. They remodeled the old Muddy Moose Bar & Grill and the old customers need to come back! The ambiance is great and it's beautifully remodeled. The staff is attentive and friendly. This place could really be a cool Friday or Saturday night hang out and it's close to North Hollywood, Studio City, Sherman Oaks and Encino. There are good things happening at the River Rock, so come in and check it out!Special Features:
- The following 149 reviews are from the River Rock reviews archive.
- Fantastic Local DiningSlantedOpinonDined on 7/21/2014My favorite local restaurant. Lorenzo is the General Manager, he'll make sure you all your needs are met. Marcos is the Chef that should have his own show. Awesome meals. The rest of the Staff Nikko and Brandon and company are all great. Attention to detail.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A mixed bagrhonachkaVIPDined on 7/16/2014Our waitress was very attentive but the happy hour food, disappointing. Noisy, especially with the TV on.Special Features:
- Quiet Scenic Place for BreakfastmrcoolDined on 7/13/2014At River Rock we sat outside in the Patio next to the large pond which included a nice waterfall. It was quiet and peaceful and refreshing. The food was also very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great except…Kimor77Dined on 7/13/2014When I got there early I decided to use the bathroom. I use a wheelchair so I need a special stall. That stall was out of order, and although the woman who opened the door for me said she would leave the door open for me to get out, it was shut and I had no way out of the bathroom. It all worked out but it was a pretty sloppy start to the afternoon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awful placeEater123Dined on 6/29/2014I would not recommend River Rock to anyone, unless they enjoy salt for dinner and heavy metal blasted at ear-splitting levels as a digestif! (Twice, we asked if they could turn the music down just a bit and twice nothing happened.) Sportsmans Lodge bills this as "fining dining" however it is anything but. Food is terrible--I have been to much better diners. Aesthetics awful, service poor. The dining room even has musty smell, like a house that hasn't been lived in for 50 years. I wouldn't take my worst enemy to eat here. I wouldn't even take my worst enemy for a drink at the bar--it's that bad. Whoever owns Sportsman Lodge, whoever runs this place, ought to be ashamed, close it down, and start all over again. Right now, it's a bad joke.
- Never again...KarenDined on 6/15/2014While the food was good, the service wasn't. Inattentive wait staff and when we finally got their attention, we were wholly unimpressed with the way the waitress handled our order. She was completely clueless as to what the restaurant offered in terms of the bar menu -- she actually told us that the bar did not serve any kind of after dinner drink -- which of course wasn't the case. More irritating was the bar staff who was clearly inexperienced in the art of tending bar. Twice our drinks were made incorrectly and that was after waiting 20 minutes. I mean who doesn't know how to make a martini. When they finally arrived for the second time, we just settled -- believe me -- they were not well made -- yuck! Don't eat or drink here.
- Father's Day Brunch - great pick!FoodviewDined on 6/15/2014Great for groups, booked reservations a few days before Fathers day for brunch. Good food & drinks. Great outdoor ambiance. Service was just ok. Nice servers but after our plates were picked up we sat for 30 mins before the check came and we had to nudge them to bring the bill to the table. I would definitely go back for a group brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- River Rock rocksrhonachkaVIPDined on 6/4/2014Lovely for Happy hour! Fine assortment of drinks, tasty appetizers, pleasant ambience. A neighborhood gem - the quiet atmosphere most appreciated.Special Features:
- Can't give a good reviewOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/30/2014Wish I could give this place a better rating but no way. The inside was so dark and unappealing we opted to eat outside. Granted the tables are under trees but they could have taken the leaves and debris off our plates before the seated us. The Red, White and Blue salad was very good. The Lobster Bisque was watery and way too salty. We liked the Poor Man's Lobster and the Mushroom Ravioli but the Short Ribs were too tough. Kudos to Bob for being a very good server. But don't think we'll be back. No ambiance and the food was nothing to rave about.
- nice people but not enough of themdasdloDined on 5/18/2014everyone tried to give the best service but it was obvious either people didnt show or very poor planning. food was great and the people that were there, were nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Studio City GemPamBaker91423VIPDined on 5/9/2014Great drinks! Yummy food...such a nice, hidden gem in the Valley! Love the updated Sportsmen's Lodge!Special Features:
- Nice ponds!La1960VIPDined on 3/30/2014My NY steak was excellent as was the pork chop and mashed potatoes. We were a party of 9 and I think the waitress was a little overwhelmed, but we did get eveything we ordered. We strolled the grounds afterwards and the ponds are very charming in the evening.Special Features:
- Not for brunchsue49ersDined on 3/23/2014We went to celebrate my daughter's birthday. They never acknowledged it. The waiter didn't bring my cranberry juice until I had finished my meal. We had to wait for refills on water and mimosas. How can they be bottomless if you can't get a refill? The food was mediocre except for the French toast. We will not return.
- Seems like the crowd has diedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/15/2014Seems like the crowd has died down, really bummed that the DJ on Saturday nights is no longer available. The music was always pretty good, now it's kind of boring. But the food is still pretty decent and service is ok.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My friend and I both hardOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/15/2014My friend and I both hard stomach distress-we both had different entrees although had shared a salad. Pricey for the quality.
- Studio City BrunchSarahDined on 3/9/2014We sat outdoors by the "river rocks" and were greeted with fresh, warm croissants and bottomless mimosas! Brunch was off to a great start! The four of us agreed that the food was very good, pleasantly plated and served, and we enjoyed our spring brunch outdoors!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food, disappointing servicehungry4moreVIPDined on 3/1/2014we've been here twice and both times the food was fabulous. sadly, on both occasions, the service was sincere, but unprofessional. we arrived early, planning to have a drink at the bar. we found our friends were already at there, as well. the hostess, however, seemed intent about seating us immediately. not wanting to be rushed, I allowed her to show me to the table, put my purse & jacket down, and returned to the bar for a few minutes., at dinner, the servers did their best to please, but they are obvious newbies and can't answer knowledgeably about the dishes offered or the wine & beer available.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not a fanKageDined on 2/16/2014needs to be renovated, the physical location and menu.