River Ranch Lodge & Restaurant
2285 River Road
Tahoe City, CA 96145Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
River Ranch Lodge & Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.riverranchlodge.com/dining
- Phone: 5305834264x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Sunday From 5:30. Bar from 4:30 p.m.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Rocky Woods
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: The River Ranch has a special large party menu for dinner parties upt to 50 guests. appetizer and buffet menus are available for large parties or weddings on our patio in the warmer months.
- Private Party Facilities: For an intimate setting the River Ranch's Fireplace Room, featuring a beautiful river rock fireplace, provides a warm and festive atmosphere for private dinner parties, rehearsal dinners, birthday parties, family reunions, company parties and holiday festivities.
- Private Party Contact: Event Coordinator 8666182579
A word from River Ranch Lodge & Restaurant
Located on the banks of the Truckee River between Truckee and Tahoe City, this rustic old Tahoe lodge has been a Tahoe dining favorite for many, many years. Choose between a cozy seat in our Fireplace Dining Room or along the river in our River View Dining Room. In the summer, dine on our patio that overlooks the river. Enjoy great food and drink that is creative and interesting while being delicious and familiar. elevated unique and imaginative. The menu changes seasonally to ensure use of the the most available sustainable, fresh ingredients.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
River Ranch Lodge & Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Tahoe City ›
River Ranch Lodge & Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
24 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (19)great for outdoor dining (18)romantic (13)special occasion (11)fit for foodies (10)kid-friendly (7)great for lunch (5)neighborhood gem (5)notable wine list (5)good for groups (4)vibrant bar scene (4)hot spot (4)great for brunch (2)late-night find (2)Show More
- River Ranch continues to deliverOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/3/2014We go here on date night once a year during our annual family vacation. We love coming here. Service and food are great. With notice they give us great seating with a river view. The only let down is that usually they serve up amazing bread. We were pre-warned that the usual bread wasn't available, but that there was still a tasty baguette. When the bread basket came, I had to put my glasses on just to discover the 4 microscopic pieces of cold baguette. Such a let down for a place with amazing food. Hopefully next year the 'normal' break basket will be available the night we go.Special Features:
- Riverside diningCyngrVIPDined on 9/20/2014Charming restaurant by the river. Especially nice when warm enough for the windows open to hear the rushing water. Food and service always good too. Wine selections nice. We had the prime rib. It was cooked perfectly for us and very tender. The gem salad was delicious too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary Dinner34yearsDined on 9/6/2014My wife and I enjoyed our anniversary dinner at river ranch on Saturday night. There was a large wedding party on the patio and we sat at one of the window tables overlooking the river. The night was warm and pleasant. You could hear the sound of the river at the table. The food was outstanding and we enjoyed an excellent bottle of wine. My wife had the special, pepper steak and I had the Elk. Both were cooked to perfection. We loved our experience and will return as soon as possible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great dinnerBELLEVIPDined on 8/31/20144 of us ate in the bar on the river window. Love the atmosphere here. Food was not hot but good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Didn't disappointmusicfoodVIPDined on 8/29/2014Had dinner tonight. Food was excellent. Portions were ample. Interesting menu. Pork chop was perfectly cooked. Nice flavors. Couscous was also very good and interesting preparation. Service was excellent. A very pretty restaurant. We would go back. Lovely setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT SETTINGOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/13/2014Great river views, with both inside and outside seating===Staff was very helpful and friendly===UNFORTUNATELY, the outstanding chef of many seasons, left in the last year or so..The kitchen is in transition! -- all our items were bland , with little flavor--Not worth the price for very ordinary food..j.Special Features:
- Back again!FoodlalaDined on 8/9/2014Stayed at the R/R Lodge 2 yrs ago and knew we'd come back. Food here is great, wine too. Dining outside by the river is so peaceful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RodmanrdineDined on 7/26/2014Our table had a wonderful view of the river. The food was excellent. My son said that it was the best prime rib he had ever eaten and I agreed. My sister enjoyed her fish and our friend liked her chicken as well. The presentation was also quite nice. The only negative is that I would suggest that someday it would be remodeled so that the bar was in another room. The men drinking were quite drunk and noisy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- River viewSmurf1Dined on 7/24/2014The food was okay. The mussel and pasta dish was very good but the chicken breast I had was over cooked. The waiter was very attentive but it took forever to get our food, which means the kitchen's ting is off. Also, the river is beautiful but the loud canned music drowned out the sounds of the river.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- REGULARDined on 7/21/2014Our dinner was good, not great, but it took over an hour to be served. There was no apparent reason as there were only 3 other parties on the deck and not very many inside. Our waiter never came to explain what was taking so long. We've been RR patrons for years and were very disappointed in spite of the wonderful atmosphere sitting alongside the river. Doubt we'll go again unless we hear that things have changed.Special Features:
- Mediocre. No views.NolaBBVIPDined on 7/12/2014We specifically requested a table in advance on River. When we arrived, not only did they have us seated inside, they gave our table on River to a couple who had not requested a River table in advance while we were waiting. There are 3-4 tables where you can view River. Otherwise, you are looking at condos. Also, there is a rafting company attached to the lodge with an adjoining deck and grill/bar, so there is a lot of activity. Food was good. Service was not.
- Kitchen issues?KwackVIPDined on 7/12/2014This is a lovely place and the food was well prepared. The server seemed new to the job but was earnest. We both ordered the scallops and asked if the chef would allow for substitutions on some of the side dishes. We were told yes. So, I asked to substitute asparagus for red cabbage and indicated that the golden cauliflower side that came with the meal looked great. My wife substituted sides as well. the place was not particularly busy, but things were slow. No problem, we weren't in a hurry and the evening was beautiful. Out came the order. I got red cabbage, no asparagus and no cauliflower! Likewise, the requests my wife made were also messed up. Ah well. but if the kitchen can't do substitutions, just let us know, next time.Special Features:
- Gourmet dining on the riveroldgalVIPDined on 7/11/2014Gourmet menu well executed with friendly service. Attractive indoor as well as outdoor dining with white tablecloths. Family friendly but upscale. Outdoor area at the edge of Truckee River with surrounding mountain views. Timing issue with food delivery with over an hour between first course and main (were told this was due to a large group). Then told dessert would take 15 minutes to bake -should have been told this info when ordering so dessert could have been ready after the main courseSpecial Features:
- Great romantic dinner by the river!MikeBVIPDined on 7/3/2014We loved our special occasion dinner with a table next to the river.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not greatOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/2/2014wow, not sure why I keep going here…the setting is nice but if I said the food was less than mediocre, I'd be too generous. No seasoning whatsoever on my two courses, the burrata lacked that cream inside that is so characteristic of the cheese, and my NY steak, although cooked close to med. rare (was on the rare side) was not seasoned and could have been "de-nuded" of the grissle layer, as the cook failed to properly cook the outside edge of the steak, leaving the fat layer med rare, as well…sounds gross? It is, and is a common technical flaw usually seen in diners at a bus station. The service was at the same level as the food. My party of three was served one plate at a time, and the waiter seemed all too proud of this.Special Features:
- The following 174 reviews are from the River Ranch Lodge & Restaurant reviews archive.
- Great Mountain DiningjdtastingDined on 6/17/2014Try River Ranch Restaurant for a great dinner with great ambience (indoor or outdoor), and great service. With the babbling stream running by the windows of the dining room, you smile every time you look out the window. The service was exceptional and very personal and friendly. Highly recommend this for a unique dining experience.Special Features:
- Quaint and charmingpprinterVIPDined on 6/6/2014Historic lodge and restaurant on the Truckee River. If you raft the river, it's where your boat trip will end. Always tons of activity in the summer. Dinner was very pleasant with an interesting menu, food well prepared and served. We live in the area and drove 40 minutes just to enjoy the river ambiance. Always a treat.Special Features:
- MackDined on 5/15/2014I thought the food was OK, not exceptional, and the service was slow. The table by the river with views in both directions was exceptional.Special Features:
- We were treated like queens!HappyMamaDined on 5/11/2014Our family enjoyed a very lovely Mother's Day brunch at River Ranch! The food was great---something appropriate for everyone---and I even have food allergies! The staff was very attentive as well. Thank you.Special Features:
- Holiday BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/11/2014Mother's Day Brunch was delightful. A first choice for celebration for my family in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy Birthday!foodie4uDined on 3/15/2014Took our friend out for a special birthday celebration. Food was great! I had the Elk which was delicious- better than the steak and the steak was great ( but a little too rare for medium rare for my friend). My husband's boar selection was a bit under seasoned but otherwise good. There was a good wine list with reasonable prices. We enjoyed dessert - the sugar cookie was perfect with the lemon sorbet! The chocolate cake my friend ordered was comp'd to honor her 60th birthday! A pleasant surprise. We love the view here and are locals so get to enjoy the restaurant regularly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good experience with FamilySkiingDined on 3/12/2014The restaurant is very well located in a very nice spot. The NY cut was excellent! I will recomend it for Family vacations on North Lake Tahoe areaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food with a river viewSkiaDined on 3/3/2014The tables are set in a rotunda affording a close-up view of the river which the restaurant shines lights on so you can see the water moving. It's very quiet and each table is separated enough that you have privacy and you can talk to each other. Our glasses were kept full and all our needs anticipated. The food was outstanding. We had a risotto with artichokes and wild mushrooms and elk, plus the green salad with delicate hearts of palm with outstanding dressing and a tomato bisque soup. The Sauvignon Blanc by the glass was really good as was the local double brown ale. We also split a slice of delicious coffee ice cream cake for dessert.Special Features:
- Rustic Tahoe AmbianceAlpineNomadDined on 2/1/2014The occasion was a special birthday dinner and it couldn't have been better. Wooden Beams and historic decor harken back to this original lodge of old Tahoe. This gem near Alpine Meadows and Squaw Valley is located along the scenic Truckee River, and bike/hike trail which is part of the Tahoe-Pyramid Bikeway. Warm and inviting on a cold winter evening after skiing, this romantic getaway is a must for those who seek rustic ambiance with a first class dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dinner for Ten or Two!TahoeDinerDined on 1/26/2014The River Ranch is a great historic restaurant with excellent food choices. I have been here a number of occasions: by myself at the bar, dinner for two in both lounge and dining room, and in my most recent incident, dinner for ten in the dining room. The view is awesome and the ambiance is warm and inviting. For lunch I recommend the pork banh mi sandwich and the calamari. They also have a great Caesar salad and shrimp po' boy. For dinner I had the duck and the scallops with pork belly to share. Delicious and flavorful. The portions are great, too - not too much and not too little. I also enjoyed the persimmon salad, the veal cheek, and the smoked Lassen trout. The spice and chocolate cake bread pudding was a great finish to my meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining bliss on the riverDanoDined on 1/22/2014We have been staying in Alpine Meadows for years. This is a wonderful dining experience where one can watch the Trukee river run past while enjoying excellent fare. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- River Ranch on the Truckee RiverOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/2/2014We have dined at River Ranch for more than 20 years inside in the winter and on the deck in the summer. We have celebrated many a special occasion here as well. On this occasion, January 3, 2014, we were delighted with the service [as usual] but not delighted with the cuisine. This is only the second time we have been disappointed with food preparation. The first time was a Christmas dinner some years ago that had a fixed menu instead of the regular menu. We have not repeated that since. This is a lovely spot to dine at any time of the year and the service, if not the food, is always remarkable!Special Features:
- Great eveningMartyntxDined on 12/29/2013Food was delicious - our party of four had elk, boar, chicken and a good vegetarian selection with protein - note the latter is important as vegetarians want something other than a salad and pasta.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice venue in tahoe areasaskiaVIPDined on 12/25/2013Around Tahoe theres lots of american: steaks, burgers, pizzas. This is actually a pretty good restaurant. Super location: on the river. Nice round shape restaurant. Huge fireplace and a menu that offers something for every one.Special Features:
- A whiffBillDined on 12/24/2013We have dined at River Ranch many times and always found the food and service to be excellent. The steak my wife ordered this time was terrible. Very disappointing. The scallop dish I ordered was excellent as was my soup and my wife's salad. We will return to this restaurant because we've had good experiences in the past, but if this had been our first visit, it would have been our last.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Christmas Eve DinnerDogdrDined on 12/23/2013RR accommodated 6 adults and 4 children between 2 and 6 nicely. Good food for both adults and children. Great waitress. Some unique offerings on menu, monkfish and elk. We had a wonderful dinner and evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Family ThanksgivingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/28/2013Our families River Ranch Lodge Thanksgiving dinner experience was excellent! Food was wonderful! Walter was kind attetative and professionaly hospitable! Our tabe was comfortably situated by a full beautiful view of well lit rushing river combined with real lit candles - white linen -silver all in the rustic Ambiance of a warm fireplace - lit cabin dinning experience - simply made it one of our all time favorite holiday memories! Prices were fair and Well worth it! Special Thanks to both the staff and management for a job well done!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thanksgiving disappointment.CinderellaTDined on 11/28/2013Lost reservations, poor food quality, unhappy server, total lack of service and I know as I have run a restaurant, bar and lodge for the last 9 years. Clearly I am disappointed with my favorite restaurant, and don't know that I will use open table again.Special Features:
- Tahoe ThanksgivingTravelGoddessDined on 11/28/2013Really enjoyed celebrating the holiday at the River Ranch Lodge. The staff was really friendly and the food and wine delicious. Appreciated there were several options in addition to the traditional turkey dinner. As a vegetarian I was able to order something on a meat focused day! Creative menu and wonderful atmosphere. We are considering making it a family tradition!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The WildCoachMoDined on 9/12/2013Really enjoyed the Cervena Elk Entre. Had it both evenings. Also liked the NY strips and the Petrale Sole.Special Features:
- Georgeous settingkatnapDined on 9/10/2013We really enjoyed our relaxing meal on the patio, right next to the river. The food was very good, especially the carrot ginger soup. The service was very slow and absent-minded, but who's in a hurry on a beautiful night, with the river rushing by, the stars twinkling, and the bats flying overhead?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Très Romantique!!!!modavaDined on 9/10/2013Perfect place to get reacquainted with your spouse!!!! Super fun!!! Love this place!!!!Special Features:
- Birthday DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/30/2013Came here to celebrate my birthday with my husband. There was a wedding rehearsal dinner going on outside, but we were able to get one of the four tables available right along the river. It was a beautiful evening and an awesome view. I kind of wish that the outdoor furniture was a little nicer than white plastic, but the scenery makes up for it. My husband had the elk, which he said was excellent, and I had the crab stuffed sole. It was good, but not quite as flavorful as I had hoped. Excellent choice for a romantic dinner!Special Features:
- Fabulous food and viewnightoutfornoreasonDined on 8/25/2013A friend and I capped off our birthday weekend with dinner here. Luckily not too crowded so despite forgetting to ask in advance for a table by the window we were seated by the rapids. Fabulous view! We talked for days in advance about the elk and the artichokes having looked at the menu online, but the artichokes were no longer on the menu when we arrived. The hazards of a place that builds the menu around seasonal items/ changes fairly often. Luckily the elk was still there (and so tasty). The kitchen even accommodated my request to substitute another veg for the mushrooms despite their usually not wanting to do substitutions. Very kind. Also highly recommend the sole stuffed with crab!! Great wine pairing recommendations and fruit crisp.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First disappointing dinner herewst8sVIPDined on 8/24/2013I dine about once a year here, usually in the winter. Not sure if its their summer focus of beer and burgers on the deck, but this meal was mediocre.. Very disappointed. And they didn't have their dinning for open which was also disappointing, though luckily the bar area was slow so it wasn't as noisy as I expected.Special Features: