River House - Palmetto Bluff
476 Mount Pelia Rd
Bluffton, SC 29910Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
River House - Palmetto Bluff
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.palmettobluff.com/theinn-dining.aspx
- Phone: (843) 706-6542
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 6:00pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Low Country, American, Southern
- Dress Code: Resort Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from River House - Palmetto Bluff
Standing on the banks of the May River, the River House Restaurant draws inspiration and ingredients from all that the May River, the Lowcountry and the South have to offer. Dining here is a memorable affair of relaxed elegance, not unlike what one would have enjoyed in the original Wilson home. Using the freshest organic and seasonal ingredients, many sourced from local markets and farms, we craft a cuisine that is farm fresh and elegantly presented with hospitality that is undeniably southern.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
River House - Palmetto Bluff reviews from OpenTable diners
11 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelQuiet
romantic (9)special occasion (9)scenic view (7)notable wine list (6)fit for foodies (4)great for outdoor dining (3)Show More
- GrandCruGrandCruDined on 10/25/2014The food was delicious, very expensive and small portions (eg., 2 excellent lamb chops with the entree). Service was not what it should have been for this type restaurant. Our waitress took our order and was nowhere to be found thereafter until time to order dessert. Throughout dinner we were left to pour our own wine refills. 40 minutes after ordering dessert we left with no dessert. Had to get up and ask a different waiter for our check since the last time our waitress checked on our table was to take the dessert order 40 minutes earlier.Special Features:
- Great setting! Average food!evvsvpVIPDined on 10/1/2014I did not think the food lived up to past experiences at this restaurant so I was a little disappointed. For the price, I expect the food to be the best. However, one cannot find a better setting around HHI.Special Features:
- happytoeatwellVIPDined on 8/29/2014Best food ever. In our top 5 places to dine. Our server Shevon was outstanding. Everything about the River House is perfect. And the ride into Palmetto Bluff is just gorgeous.Special Features:
- Outstanding !rengirlDined on 8/9/2014We dined here on Sat evening for our anniversary, what a beautiful place for that special occasion, we haven't stop talking about it since . Food was outstanding , service was exceptional, we live locally and certainly will be returning. A beautiful place for that special occasion.Special Features:
- The following 18 reviews are from the River House - Palmetto Bluff reviews archive.
- Unexpected SurpriseCindyVIPDined on 7/15/2014My husband and I had a wonderful experience. Great service, lovely Southern menu, and a very nice wine list. Highly recommend for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Always ExcellentCLE8675309Dined on 7/5/2014I have been coming to the River House for almost 10 years now and I always have a wonderful dining experience. The staff remembers me and always delivers excellent service. If you are lucky, Andrew will wait on you! The food is also amazing with local selections.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- High end sports bar.JerryDined on 7/5/2014I was greatly disappointed in the lack of ambiance. I felt that we had a very expensive meal in a sports bar. The level of noise from the lounge (cheering, yelling and screaming) was totally out of place in a restaurant of the caliber of River House. Management was I uncharacteristically inattentive throughout the dinner and had to be "flagged down" to complain about the noise. A free dissert did not erase a bad experience.Special Features:
- IndulgeHiltonHeadFanDined on 6/27/2014Top notch service, consistently excellent food and wonderful surroundings.... Such a treat !!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will not go back.2badVIPDined on 6/25/2014I guess the resort has enough business that locals are no longer needed at the restaurant. We usually make the 30 minute trek 2-3 times a year for what was the best food and service in Bluffton. Prices are now higher, servings are smaller and my wife's pappardelle had the texture of an inner tube. My salmon was excellent, but $37 for a tapas sized serving? That is more than great places in Manhattan where our other home is. Staff was pleasant, but service very uneven and often very slow. Our coffees were served ten minutes apart. We will not return.Special Features:
- LSDSDined on 6/20/2014The Vidalia onion soup had no flavor. The grouper and scallops were cooked perfectly but weren't especially exciting.Special Features:
- A serious restaurantEatwellVIPDined on 6/12/2014Few resort restaurants rise to this level in food, wine or service. I have eaten here four times over a period of six months, and I have never had an experience--or a dish--that did not deserve at least a "very good" rating. Southern food (at least to me) can be heavy and somewhat monochromatic, but the River House avoids both pitfalls. The wine list is broad and deep, and Thad, the sommelier, can be counted on to guide you to an interesting and (reasonablly) affordable selection.Special Features:
- Southern Excellence ExperiencehplcmanDined on 5/24/2014Let's begin with the service. Top notch from the moment you enter the reception area and so friendly and inviting. Wait staff were right there when you needed them. Thank you Laura! The food; great choices and very tasty. The scallops had hidden jewels of basil infused walnuts at their base which really kicked up the flavors even more. Well worth the expense.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You Must Like SaltwhocaresVIPDined on 5/10/2014No salt on the tables. But, the pork and fish was encrusted in salt. It ruined the meal. Waiter really didn't care. He had a table of 8 next to us on their 5th bottle of wine. Work the tip....Forget the little guy. Not worth the expense.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 4/20/2014Went Easter Sunday. The menu was very limited. Only meat was veal cheeks. My shrimp was so salty, I had to return it. Just not a great meenu or delivery. To me, it wasn't worth the drive from HHI!!
- Great place-address wrongTClarkDined on 3/22/2014Such a surprise- we had no idea it would be in a hotel...in fact we found the place by chance, as Opentable has completely the wrong street address. We finally arrived only 5 minutes late, after an hours drive from Hilton Head. We worried the place might be too rich for our blood, so were happily comforted by the ambiance and friendly greeting. Food was excellent and so was the service, wish we had arrived an hour early to take a look around. Opentable says this restaurant is at 476 Mount Pelia Drive..ignore that. It is part of The Inn at Palmetto Bluff, at 1 Village Square , right in the centre of Palmetto Bluff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special EveningOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/22/2014This venue gave my husband and myself a special evening together in the low country which we love. A true gem nestled in the marsh.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- second night as good as the firstFauchereLoverVIPDined on 3/5/2014And room service is good too. Whatever you want, they'll try to please you! That keeps us coming back.Special Features:
- Better than beforeFauchereLoverVIPDined on 3/4/2014We enjoyed our diners more than on previous years. More appealing choices. Well prepared and graciously served. Our waitress told us that items were prepared to order so feel free to ask for changes. I love their hot donut assortments for dessert and commented that I preferred last year's caramel dipping sauce. The waitress immediately came back with caramel sauce and even packed another container of caramel sauce for my take home box. Their homemade pickles are a special treat.Special Features:
- The bestMrsjVIPDined on 2/18/2014Everything at the inn at palmetto bluff is done with perfectionSpecial Features:
- Best of the best!DougVIPDined on 2/15/2014Our waitress (JP) set the tone for a memorable evening. She let us know we were in for a treat and that turned out to be true! This was our first time to dine at the River House but it won't be our last. I usually judge the overall cooking by the fish. In a word: Perfect! The tile fish couldn't have been prepared any better period! The beet salad was the right addition and the dessert.....the perfect ending. No complaints other than our own failure to book a room at the Inn so we wouldn't have the 30 minute drive home! We'll be back many timesSpecial Features:
- Diner53diner53VIPDined on 1/31/2014We went for resturant week. (They should always have those short ribs!) This place is fabulous all the way around. Leave a little bit of time to take in the setting of the resturant.Special Features:
- Service is excellent. FoodRutiDined on 1/25/2014Service is excellent. Food was only fair. However this was restaurant week so maybe that made a difference. Braised short rib meal was salty and fatty. Fish was somewhat mushy and taste had no resemblance to a piccata dish. Gumbo was very good but again a bit salty. Was disappointed with the meal it's this s a five star restaurant. Lovely atmosphere and quiet.