River House Bar & Grill
2495 Harrisburg Pike
Middletown, PA 17057Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
River House Bar & Grill
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://riverhouseonline.com/
- Phone: (717) 930-8700
- Hours of Operation:
Kitchen: Mon - Sun 11am to 10pm, Bar: Sun - Tue 11am - 1am, Wed - Sat 11am - 2am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Burgers
- Executive Chef: Shaun D. Fink
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from River House Bar & Grill
For business or pleasure, Feel the charm of our rural Bar & Grill. Our dining areas, bar room, outdoor bar, and decks offer a casual atmosphere to enjoy our innovative menu, a wonderful list of local wines from the best of our area vineyards, and a speciality drink menu including craft and specialty ales & lagers sure to please any palette. Whether you're in the mood for a grilled burger and a pint of your favorite ale, Angus steak with a shot of top shelf whisky, or seared ahi and a chilled martini, River House Bar & Grill has something for everyone. River House Bar & Grill is the perfect place to unwind and take a break - meet old friends for happy hour, or make new ones, celebrate a special occasion, or gather your family for dinner.Continued
Contact us about private parties, weddings and catering. Give your luncheon, wedding, or special event that extra touch with our exquisite catering menu.
Contact us about private parties, weddings and catering. Give your luncheon, wedding, or special event that extra touch with our exquisite catering menu.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
River House Bar & Grill - Best Restaurants in Middletown ›
River House Bar & Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
22 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (17)good for groups (13)neighborhood gem (7)kid-friendly (6)late-night find (6)great for lunch (3)hot spot (3)special occasion (3)vibrant bar scene (3)fit for foodies (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Great Food!flekitDined on 10/25/2014We were looking for a new place to eat and heard about River House on Facebook. The food turned out to be as good as the pictures looked. Definitely going back!Special Features:
- Neighborhood GemOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/18/2014It is a nice restaurant with good food and nice atmosphere. The price is reasonable. The menu is good with chef specials.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PLEASANTLY SURPRISED!!KrosnestDined on 10/13/2014Decided to try this for my wife's birthday dinner. I cannot say how impressed we were with everything. The food and the service were outstanding. Prices were wonderful. We will definitely be eating here again and again!Special Features:
- Food was good kitchen a little slowFridayIsDateNightDined on 10/10/2014Menu selection was interesting, food was very good, service was friendly and polite; kitchen was a little slow, but not a big problem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!Ptb429Dined on 10/10/2014Went with my wife for our anniversary. Not very crowded at 5:30, but was busy when we left around 6:45. Food was great, I had the beer-battered shrimp, which was wonderful, best shrimp I ever had. Fries were very crispy, and according to my wife, the cole slaw was wonderful also. She had the fried clams with a pasta salad. She loved them. For an appetizer, we had the crab and cheese dip with tortilla chips. Also very good. Service was wonderful by Taylor, who was very attentive. Dining room was nice, and could accommodate large groups. Definitely looking forward to going back again an trying something new. Very varied menu for a bar/grill. Great seating area outside when warm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- eat-at-ableMorninflowersDined on 10/3/2014Food was good, service was not. She appeared after we'd been sitting for about 5 minutes, so it started well. After she took our order and brought out the appetizers she disappeared for at least a half an hour. We were drinkless and thirsty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The live music was fantastic!bessjackDined on 9/26/2014The live music was fantastic and lively. The food was excellent, and the service was timely and friendly. Wonderful place for couples, singles, or families!Special Features:
- KdfedupDined on 9/26/2014I loved the look and feel of the place. However the service was very slow and the waitress took the orders wrong. We waited forever between drinks and when she forgot to bring one she blamed it on the bartendar.
- get the clamsJohnleslieDined on 9/21/2014good atmosphere but the drunken clams were ones to return for OMGSpecial Features:
- Could be betterShellDined on 9/14/2014Had the ayce crab legs and they were good until the 3rd batch that came out slimy and with a strong ammonia smell, definetely bad. Sent back, next batch was still frozen. The chef did tell waitresses to bring back the entire restaurants crab legs fearing they got a bad batch, but if I could smell them before they got to my nose, why wouldn't the cook have sen that. In my opinion it's their responsibility to see that the food that is served is worthy BEFORE it goes to the table. The waitress was kind and offered good service. The pub fries were delicious as was the potatoe salad that went with the crab legs. The peanut butter pie was good, but pass on the chocolate lava cake. Frozen and microwaved I'm sure. We'll give it one more chance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodMDBEDined on 9/6/2014Your food is great, prices are good, and your beer is very cold. Please keep your beer that way !Special Features:
- Nice supriseStuartNmDined on 8/30/2014We had gone to Hershey Park for the day, and found this place on the way back to the hotel. Nice dining area, and great outdoor deck. Turns out they had a live group. The food was very good, basic with some nice twists. Don't know when we will be back in the area, but would be very open to returning..Special Features:
- Great experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/17/2014AYCE crab legs were fantastic! Our waitress was excellent! Loved our time on the deck. Only complaint was the music was too loud to carry on a normal conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow bar service and very noisyeatinoutDined on 8/2/2014It took about 10 min before the waitress came to our table and took our drink orders. It took another 15+ min to get our drinks which were somewhat warm. We were seated outside next to a large, noisy industrial floor fan so our group of four could hardly hear each other talk without yelling. We asked to turn it down or off, but the waitress just had us move to a table right next to the previous one. It was not a warm night and therewere plenty of ceiling fans, so we weren't sure what the problem was. A fan should not be situated in between two dining tables. The food came out very quick, was good and hot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 63 reviews are from the River House Bar & Grill reviews archive.
- Best Wings!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/28/2014This was our fist visit here and I can't wait to go back again! We went on a Monday night for their "All You Can Eat Wings" special. The wings were delicious. The service was outstanding. We dined outside on their beautiful deck/patio. I would highly recommend going here. Can't wait to go back to try something else!Special Features:
- Here for the bandHereForTheBandDined on 7/25/2014We reserved a table at River House because a band we like was playing there(Mountain Road). We were out on the patio, where the band was playing. Our server, Jenny, was WONDERFUL! The soup of the day, Sweet Corn Chowder, was EXCELLENT! One of the people in our group, ordered a second bowl of it. Another gentleman had the brisket chili, again an excellent choice. All of the food was very good. Happy Hour from 6:00 - 7:00, drinks were very reasonable. Our server was amazing and even though the place was VERY busy she never left us feeling unattended. We went here for the band, stayed all evening while they played, totally enjoyed the place and will be going back again.Special Features:
- Trying something new!Cowgirl55Dined on 7/16/2014I always try to find a new restaurant once a month for a friend who doesn't like to drive. We were not disappointed at the River House. Food was hot, presentation very nice, and great tasting. Waitress was very attentive! We will go back again!!Special Features:
- Great place for outdoor dining!sixpakcDined on 7/5/2014We ate here on a Saturday evening, nice and relaxed atmosphere outside. The service was good, and the food was delicious. The one thing that was a problem for me was their salads. A lot of restaurants will give you a base price for a salad and then the price to add various types of meat: $4 for chicken, $5 for steak, etc. I ordered the Pittsburgh steak salad and replaced the steak with chicken-for the same $15.99 price. Even for a steak salad, $15.99 is high but without the pricing options, the salad was very expensive with chicken. We'll probably go back again (not too convenient to where we live being the only reason), I'll find something less expensive to eat.Special Features:
- First time visitCruvertwinVIPDined on 6/27/2014While the name would indicate you're near water, there was none to be seen. The place is good, but don't expect it to be anything other than a nice bar and grille. The staff is very friendly and the food was good. We had fish tacos and shrimp tacos and started with drunken clams and crab and spinach dip with chips. Nice choice of beer on tap. I would definitely return, although I really love a cool setting when dining outside and while it's a nice size deck, it could use lots of ambience in the way of planters and flowers. Need to look at something since there is no view of any kind.
- mudger343Dined on 6/22/2014the bartender was phenomenal! charming good at suggesting menu items and knowledgeable about the cuisine. great drinks too!Special Features:
- Overall ExperiencePoorExperienceDined on 5/30/2014Our service was extremely poor where our waitress failed to ask if we wanted drink refills, brought our appetizers and did not supply napkins. We waited quite a long time for our entrée and when it came my husband's salad had never been delivered. When the waitress was asked about it she went and got it and apologized. However, my husband asked for ketchup and salt and pepper which were never delivered. HIs food was not hot - actually on the cool side. This was a very disappointing experience and we will not return or recommend this restaurant for dinner.Special Features:
- Enjoyable Experiencesummer2712Dined on 5/17/2014I had never been to this restaurant before and had selected it based on the reviews. I was very pleased. Nice menu variety, very clean, and excellent/friendly service. The food was great and substantial portions so that there was no room for dessert. Restaurant has a nice deck area too, but it was too chilly for us to sit outside. Highly recommend this restaurant and will definitely visit there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2014Had the ribs and they were fall off the bone! Excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had our Father's Day dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/17/2013We had our Father's Day dinner there. Had a great time!Special Features:
- Harrisburg PubErickDined on 5/10/2013Great spot to stop for apps and a drink after work. The Beer selection was good and drink menu was on point!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Burger and wing special wasOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/17/2013Burger and wing special was very well priced and food was good but service was very slow. My daughter and I waited 10 minutes for a server to come to our table to take our drink order and then another 10 minutes to get our drinks and place our food order. We needed to remind the server that we ordered celery & blue cheese with the wings and were told that someone else was responsible to bring that item to the table. We ordered a mushroom cheese burger with no onions. The burger arrived with onions and no mushrooms so we had to wait for the server to get a side of sauteed mushrooms from the kitchen.Special Features:
- We were the first people seatedPhillyCreamDined on 2/23/2013We were the first people seated this past saturday and the first thing we noticed was an overwelming smell of bleach. Tough to get past that!
- Nice variety on menu. Ouragavegirl1VIPDined on 2/22/2013Nice variety on menu. Our server disappeared for awhile, which is a pet peeve, but she was very nice. We will definitely return to try more menu items. The food was delicious. In the warmer months the deck looks like a good option. Not sure who he was, but acoustic musician was excellent!Special Features:
- The food was very good. ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2013The food was very good. Service was great. Had a Valentine's Day dinner a bit early 6:30 but there were a couple kids (and I love em) out of hand running all over the dance floor. Other than that, it wasn't romantic, but not bad.
- Friendly staff & delicious foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/1/2013We had reservations for a party of 12, and everyone from the host to the server was super friendly and went out of their way for us. The food was, as always, delicious!Special Features:
- Found this place by accidentSweetTVIPDined on 11/18/2012Found this place by accident and thankfully so! Creative menu options, incredibly friendly staff, great food! A nice surprise for our traveling family passing through Harrisburg.Special Features:
- We'll be back...OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/16/2012We had a great evening! Sherri is a friend of mine, we came to see her perform...I forgot how talented she is live...I know her as a publisher. A suggestion: if you wanted to 'kick it up a notch' ambience-wise, why not build a little stage up there?! Just a 6-inch riser could make a difference (spoken as a musician/performer myself!) (Things were not so noisy at the sports-bar area so as to be a problem hearing Sherri, also.) Food was good, drinks also, and the price was right. Plus our waiter (forgot the name) seemed to enjoy his job of BEING a waiter! We'll stop in again, also partly because it's not far from our home in Lancaster. cheers, George Wallace/Marti EarlySpecial Features:
- Was very dissapointed in theOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/14/2012Was very dissapointed in the Dinner menu, one of the best meals (Shrimp,Scallop, Linguini) was removed from the Menu, and the Filet, potatoe dinner I had was unimpressive at best. The dinner fair in the past was presented in a top notch manner. I think the menu has become more sandwich related, and the once favored, and famous dinner menu has become more of a second thought.
- Though I live closer to LancasterOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/15/2012Though I live closer to Lancaster than to Middletown have been to your pub on two occasions. I would plan to return but do have a couple of concerns. In both instances food was exceptional service at bar was 'fair' at best, even though there were only 5 people at the bar at one point and 3 on a second occasion. Seems like gentleman who tends bar was preoccupied with other things; chatting with others and not keeping in touch with others at the bar and also moved back and forth delivering food to the the dining area. Also slow to take order so I ended up ordering via another person. Will return despite concerns and with others as food and general environment is exceptional. New patio should prove to be a boon for you folks.Special Features:
- We all enjoyed our meals butOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/9/2012We all enjoyed our meals but the calamari was a big disappointment. The portion was so small we couldn't share it and it was too chewy and simply not worth the money.Special Features:
- The food and all was justOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/8/2012The food and all was just OK. Nothing great about it, and nothing really bad about it. It was the general opinion of the group that they could or should get a new idea or two to really promote and grow the place. Lots of potential but better food, entree choices would be a necesity.
- Great new and expanded menu!shbbDined on 6/1/2012Great new and expanded menu! We had one of the new burger selections, the bruschetta, and a loaded baked potato - several options and a meal in itself. Looking forward to trying the new pasta dishes, for which you can choose your type of pasta, and the angus steaks, for which you can choose your cut and one of many seasonings or sauces. Looks like the new deck and outdoor bar should be open soon, too!Special Features:
- They have a very nice smallshbbDined on 5/22/2012They have a very nice small outdoor dining area but have been working on a larger outdoor area with a bar that appears to be near completion. They are also introducing a new menu which I was able to preview and it looks wonderful - very inventive and something for everyone.Special Features:
- Was a very enjoyable experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/19/2012Was a very enjoyable experience and the food was wonderful. The outside deck area will add a wonderful dining experience.
- As usual, our meal was delicious.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/18/2012As usual, our meal was delicious. We ordered quite a variety at our table. Pizza, big dinner salad, soup, club sandwich and the pulled pork wraps.(YUM!) Our waitress was attentive and chatty. As usual, a nice time.Special Features: