Prince's Island Park
25 Prince's Island Park SW
Calgary, AB T2P 0R1Neighborhood:
CanadianPrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.river-cafe.com/
- Phone: 4032617670x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch & Dinner Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 11:00pm; Brunch & Dinner Saturday - Sunday: 10:00am - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Wild Game, Canadian
- Executive Chef: Andrew Winfield
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Enjoy an exclusive cocktail party or dinner in your home presented and prepared by River Café. Our accomplished culinary team will prepare an exquisite menu tailored specifically to your event, executed by our professional service team. Experience a culinary journey presented with the elegance, beauty, and professional service of River Café. You and your guests relax and enjoy while we look after all of the details.
- Private Party Facilities: River Café is available for private bookings.
- Private Party Contact: Kelly Beames 4032617670x
A word from River Café
We are located in the middle of Prince's Island Park and we are accessed on foot via one of four bridges or causeways. Parking is available on street in the Eau Claire area, underground at Eau Claire Market for a flat fee of $3 on weekends and evenings, or across from Memorial Drive. We look forward to welcoming you soon. Should your plans change, please let us know.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
River Café - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
River Café reviews from OpenTable diners
366 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (250)special occasion (249)scenic view (242)fit for foodies (228)romantic (205)great for lunch (134)great for brunch (124)neighborhood gem (115)notable wine list (108)good for groups (68)hot spot (46)kid-friendly (19)late-night find (8)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- great timeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/20/2014we had a great lunch and entertainment as a wild boar was being bbq'ed for an event later that day. Very nice time and informative!!!Special Features:
- Can be great, can be goodsmartamartaDined on 10/19/2014River cafe can be magical. How wonderful this place is depends on your server: one time I had a magical server, a lovely Asian man, who made the whole experience charming and wonderful; another time I had a ho-hum waitress who just did what she needed, nothing more. You won't get bad service though. The food is always tasty, though not voluminous. So if you're looking to leave really full this isn't your place -- the food is high quality and attractively served, but to really fill yourself up you'd need an appetizer and a meal. The beef we got was probably less than 4 oz, for example. You're looking to spend about $80 a person before tax and tip for the appetizer + meal + a drink.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better and betterARMADILLO13Dined on 10/19/2014The food here seems to get better and better every time we come.Special Features:
- Always a Treat!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/19/2014My best friend and I came here for her birthday brunch...first time for brunch for both of us and as usual, River Cafe did not disappoint! I had the fior di latte flatbread and it was absolutely delicious! Roasted tomates, pesto and with a soft egg on top. I would definitely order this again, although I would say this could even be shared - it was a rather large portion and I only ate half of it. The service was attentive and professional. We can get a bit loud when we get together, but we never felt like we had to edit ourselves. I love River Cafe and can't wait to come back for any meal!Special Features:
- Terrible Service.HavocNumber9Dined on 10/18/2014It is great to have time to visit with friends in a great atmosphere while dining. It is NOT great to have a simple dinner (no appetizers, no dessert) take 3 hours. It is NOT great to wait 30 minutes after seating to be offered a drink, and another 30 minutes for a bottle of wine to arrive. It is NOT great to have a loud group of 20+ standing at the entrance a few feet from your table for an hour. Obviously the restaurant was struggling with some overlapping reservations, but that does not excuse an unprofessional server who should not be allowed near a fine dining establishment. The food was decent, but I won't be back.
- So PrettyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/18/2014Love the River Cafe! It is perfect any time of year, dessert is a must have!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I'm so sad!CalgaryFoodieVIPDined on 10/18/2014I have been a fan of River Cafe for years - the location is unbeatable, especially on our lovely fall day. This used to be a restaurant that was worth every penny, but the last 3 times I've eaten there it's been just okay, and certainly not the top-flight restaurant it should be for the prices. My bison main was a confused mess on the plate. All the food was presented on one side of a large plate, leaving the other side empty, as if something was missing. The individual elements on the plate tasted good but there was no cohesiveness - they mostly just didn't go together. And on hearing that a recommended wine pairing was awful - not neutral, but affirmatively awful - the response was basically a shrug. Sad to see this change.Special Features:
- Amazing!onlythebestDined on 10/17/2014Jamal and the team at River Cafe made this a night to remember! Celebrating our first date 5 years to the day they set us up at our original table and created an ambiance that could not be beat. Food was great. Wine was amazing. And the staff were so good as they were all aware of my pending proposal but kept it very cool until the moment she said yes! Thank you soo much for a truly amazing night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- River Cafe is beautifuljenzanDined on 10/16/2014The River Cafe truly lives up to it's reputation for being the romantic dinner spot for many Calgarians. It's location in Prince's Island Park provides a nice stroll to and from parking at Eau Claire. We were a little late due to traffic, but the hostess was more than understanding and showed us our seats next to the large windows overlooking the lagoon. The atmosphere was warm, cheerful and the right amount of lighting. Our server didn't mention the specials for the day until dessert, but he did check on us frequently. The food was a little on the smaller portion, but delicious. I recommend ordering an appetizer for those that are famished. The best part is that River Cafe came through with a birthday sparkler for my girlfriend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/14/2014Excellent spot to take visitors to Calgary - Food was excellent, staff friendly and helpful and the venue is fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- andreDined on 10/14/2014We went to River Cafe to celebrate our 36th Wedding Anniversay. We have done this every year for about 10 years. The cervice was excellent the food very good and the location is beautiful. We love this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice ThanksgivingDamayVIPDined on 10/13/2014We dined here on Canada's Thanksgiving day and had a wonderful meal. The wild game dishes were perfectly prepared, very tender and flavorful. The service was excellent. The ambiance rustic and comfortable.....cozy fireplace, log cabin atmosphere. Altogether a very good meal, would certainly dine here againSpecial Features:
- REB2014Dined on 10/13/2014I went twice to the River Cafe in one day - a coincidence - but it is one of my favourite places to go. Sat on the patio both times. The afternoon was for a coffee and a snack after a walk around the park (which is a must when you go to this restaurant). The service was incredibly slow - had to keep asking for service - which I thought was odd for this place. We ordered the hummus with bread wedges and a cheese plate, both which were excellent. Back later for dinner and the service was much better. We ordered the Steelhead and cod, and again, they were both excellent. Presentation very well done. The ambiance is so calming, such a beautiful setting in the park. Highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thanksgiving treatThanksgivingDined on 10/13/2014We enjoyed spending the afternoon at the River Café for our family Thanksgiving. Although I did want the "turkey" special, I ended up choosing something else on the menu that I would NEVER make for myself. It was a great day - the weather perfect - the day with my family - superb !! Our first time there and will definitely go back for other occasions.Special Features:
- Very good as usualdinerDined on 10/12/2014We were in the middle of a move with no time or place to cook Thanksgiving turkey, and so reserved a spot at River Café. Apart from the load kids (because we were forced into an early slot due to last minute booking) the meal was wonderful and the ambience excellent.Special Features:
- Great as ussualOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/11/2014We go here about 3 times a year, to keep the budget down. But it is worth the trip, especially during the fall months, the walk afterwards is great. This place is must if you are visiting, and if you live here, this should be a regular yearly event at least.Special Features:
- JJDovDined on 10/10/2014we had a great experience at your restaurant, however I was disappointed that the main menu did not have any vegetarian or vegan optionsSpecial Features:
- See belowZubiDined on 10/9/2014When I got to the restaurant there was no reservation. However, we were able to acquire a table. Not sure what went wrong, but would have been disappointed if we did not get in as I drove a distance to get there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousYummyDined on 10/8/2014The food was delicious and really wowed us. Such attention to detail, so many flavours, just perfect. I love the ambiance here especially on a warm and sunny autumn day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- local treasurecrazy4calgaryVIPDined on 10/6/2014wonderful preparation of salmon but what really made the meal was the accompanying barley & mushrooms and roasted carrots. my husband had sturgeon with equally autumn side dishes. we started with the baked oysters! yummy. we liked that the wine list had a good selection of half bottles. lovely walk to the island both before and after dinner make river cafe a memorable evening. we came back to celebrate my 60th birthday after being there a year ago. a reason to come back to calgary!Special Features:
- excellent dining experienceCalgaryFoodieDined on 10/6/2014I had relatives in from Texas who wanted something other than Alberta beef. River Cafe has a great menu and can always be counted on to provide an excellent dining experience in a casual, relaxed atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpionatedDined on 10/5/2014The prices keep going up and the entre choices seemed on the 'wild' side. How about some nice planked salmon?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A hidden oasisJackatehereDined on 10/4/2014We have eaten at the River Cafe on just a couple of occasions and been delighted each time - a place to return to - . Attention to quality ingredients an ever changing and imaginative menu, friendly knowledgeable staff and a great wine list all hidden away in a park setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner, disappointing servicedatenightdinerDined on 10/3/2014We love River Cafe, with a seasonal menu and a gorgeous atmosphere, it continues to be our date night pick. Our service however, was very disappointing. We were rushed to make every decision, dinner, wine, dessert. Had we not have experienced phenomenal service on a previous occasion, I would have been very disappointed when the hefty bill came. Although the food was top notch, if we are going to spend a few hundred dollars on a meal, I would expect the service to also be as good as the food.Special Features:
- You can't go wrong with River CafeBrentYYCDined on 10/3/2014I may be biased because we used River Cafe for both our wedding ceremony (on the patio) and reception, but it's impossible to go wrong dining at River Cafe. It has a wonderful ambiance, outstanding and well prepared menu, and the discrete location on Prince's Island with beautiful downtown views is second to none. It's the perfect choice for a special evening out with your significant other.Special Features:
- True CanadianaBanffDreDined on 10/2/2014I took my partner her after her Canadian Citizenship ceremony as a surprise. Truly Canadian in a fantastic setting! Slightly on the dear side price wise but a great treat.Special Features:
- Very Good IndeedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/30/2014It was our 2nd year anniversary and it was definitely a good pick. Ambience, Service and Food was excellent. Time for alcoholic drinks to come was longer than expected but the food came out faster than expected. We did have water right away though. We had a window seat and did not feel a cold breeze which was nice. I would go back to the restaurant again however it wouldn't be a weekly or monthly occasion as the prices were a bit high on food. Drink prices were reasonable. I recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- ShelleyDined on 9/29/2014Food and service were amazing. Plus a beautiful view of the river!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- More than I expectedeat2loveDined on 9/28/2014This was my first time to the river café and I was very impressed. The location is beautiful and the ambiance was very happy. Our food was delicious and the wine selection was vast. There wasn't a moment that I didn't have any water. The waiter was very attentive even when it got busy. I would definitely recommend this restaurant to anyone I know.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Left much to be desiredDiningsunDined on 9/27/2014Were not informed of early restaurant closure until already seated, even though made a reservation; food was way below usual quality, it literally made me ill as soon as I left the restaurant; service was slow and had to ask for many details to be attended to. Extremely disappointing. We frequent this establishment for the the food and the ambience (service is hit or miss); will not be returning anytime soon.
- Great Spot, ok foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/25/2014It was a beautiful evening! The food was very expensive and good, but not as amazing as we were anticipating. The service was a bit slow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday CelebrationRickDined on 9/25/2014We were there to celebrate my wife's birthday. We got a nice table on the patio for a late September dinner & it was still a beautiful evening. Sitting on the patio was a bonus!! Service was very good, food was good, tried a new bottle of French wine - Gigondas & it was excellent. My wife & daughters dinner were excellent (fish & beef) I tried the Boar chop & it was tasty but not tender. First time I had ever tried it, would probably not try it again. We had a great evening!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- warm sept diningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/24/2014fabulous food. great view of the river from the patio. finally getting our food took quite a while.Special Features:
- Great Locationsnyderm86Dined on 9/24/2014The food, setting and service are the best of Calgary. If you get the chance, sit out on the patio, for us it was one of the last warm evenings for this season and great location to enjoy a fabulous meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love itOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/22/2014The River Café has been one of my favourite restaurants for some time now. It's always amazingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a pleasure!missfoodieDined on 9/22/2014I've been dining at River Cafe for a number of years and for a variety of different occasions, both business related and personal, and I've always had a wonderful experience. The staff are attentive, the food is to die for, and the rustic atmosphere and outdoor location are visually appealing and only add to the meal. I've taken overseas business partners there to dine, I've been proposed to and have celebrated a variety of special occasions there with my husband, and it's definitely a favourite spot for any social occasion. I can definitely see myself returning to River Cafe in the future for many more occasions to come!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch in beautiful surroundingsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/22/2014A perfect fall day, sat outside on the patio surrounded by trees and sunshine. The food was impeccable as was the service. Wish I could go there every day!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent brunchEatyourgreensVIPDined on 9/20/2014This is the second time we have taken visiting guests for brunch and it has been excellent on both occasions. We will be back.Special Features:
- Awesome, awesome , awesomeLatedinerDined on 9/19/2014So good , atmosphere service food so amazing !!! Nicest staff I've ever had the pleasure of spending time with . If you want to do yourself a favor request Jen Lamb amazing serverSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dining ExperienceLuv2eatoutDined on 9/19/2014Was a great dining experience in a beautiful setting! The food choices were excellent, offering diners unique choices, which set River Cafe apart from other restaurants. Our server was very friendly and knowledgable. Will definitely come back again and recommend it to others!Special Features: