Prince's Island Park
25 Prince's Island Park SW
Calgary, AB T2P 0R1Neighborhood:
CanadianPrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.river-cafe.com/
- Phone: 4032617670x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch & Dinner Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 11:00pm; Brunch & Dinner Saturday - Sunday: 10:00am - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Wild Game, Canadian
- Executive Chef: Andrew Winfield
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Enjoy an exclusive cocktail party or dinner in your home presented and prepared by River Café. Our accomplished culinary team will prepare an exquisite menu tailored specifically to your event, executed by our professional service team. Experience a culinary journey presented with the elegance, beauty, and professional service of River Café. You and your guests relax and enjoy while we look after all of the details.
- Private Party Facilities: River Café is available for private bookings.
- Private Party Contact: Kelly Beames 4032617670x
A word from River Café
We are located in the middle of Prince's Island Park and we are accessed on foot via one of four bridges or causeways. Parking is available on street in the Eau Claire area, underground at Eau Claire Market for a flat fee of $3 on weekends and evenings, or across from Memorial Drive. We look forward to welcoming you soon. Should your plans change, please let us know.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
River Café - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
River Café reviews from OpenTable diners
392 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (283)special occasion (269)scenic view (249)fit for foodies (223)romantic (204)great for brunch (147)great for lunch (145)neighborhood gem (117)notable wine list (114)good for groups (68)hot spot (41)kid-friendly (27)late-night find (13)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Awesome, awesome , awesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/19/2014So good , atmosphere service food so amazing !!! Nicest staff I've ever had the pleasure of spending time with . If you want to do yourself a favor request Jen Lamb amazing serverSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dining ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/19/2014Was a great dining experience in a beautiful setting! The food choices were excellent, offering diners unique choices, which set River Cafe apart from other restaurants. Our server was very friendly and knowledgable. Will definitely come back again and recommend it to others!Special Features:
- Splendid experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/18/2014As always, River Cafe has provided the most satisfying dining experience one could ask for in Calgary. It is definitely my favorite restaurant in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HelenDined on 9/14/2014Great variety of drinks and cocktails! Great food!Special Features:
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014Great date night spot. Amazing dining experience from start to finish!Special Features:
- of courselouiseDined on 9/9/2014Who wouldn't like River Cafe! Good food, good service, friendly, very special setting and my favourite brunch spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great treatSirCriticExtrordinaireDined on 9/8/2014Took my girlfriend out for her Birthday to River Cafe. It was both our first times, and we were thoroughly impressed. The interior has a rustic woody tone, so you almost feel like you're in a tree house. The service was exceptional, very knowledgable and friendly. The wine list was indeed extensive, although we were very happy with a glass of the house wine. The menu is modest in length, but completely unique and appetizing. If you like desserts however, this place will not disappoint. We were (un)lucky to have a reservation during a summer snow storm, so the walk through Princess Island was kept fairly short. That allowed for a more private and quieter experience inside, which was very nice. Overall a delicious and memorable night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty Anniversary DinnerEnyaDined on 9/7/2014We both had house salad which was delicious. Main dish was sable fish for my husband and sturgeon for me and they were both fabulous. Service was excellent, although a little slow at times. I'd love to see the place during the day as it is in great location, but since we we were visiting from Toronto, it is unlikely that we'll be back in Calgary for lunch any time soon.Special Features:
- Late summer surprise....foodee4lifeDined on 9/7/2014Having read mixed reviews for River Cafe, even though it's heralded as one of Calgary's gems, my wife and I had dinner there on what was the last nice summer weekend before our early snowfall. A friendly reception and prompt service greeted us as we were seated at a window-side table. Water, cocktails and wine arrived quickly. I had the wild boar tenderloin which was perfectly seasoned and charbroiled just a touch past medium, tender and presented with folded potatoes and braised leeks. My wife's salmon was equally tasty and subtly seasoned. Impeccable service and value. And locally sourced fare. Add my name to the list of River Cafe's cheerleaders. Truly.......one of Calgay's best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Locally Sourced FoodlovelocalfoodDined on 9/5/2014This is a nice venue for a special occasion that offers a nice atmosphere as well as locally sourced foods to make the evening even more special! They consider sustainability in how they operate, so I would recommend this place as they have good food you can feel good about!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Calgary offers much more than RCJemangeDined on 9/4/2014Been going for 15 years. Seen a steady decline in portion sizes over the years. Quality is great and food is artistic. However, this cannot overcome the overpriced food and abysmal portions. There are many great joints in Calgary serving fabulous food often with generous helpings. This was our 25 anniversary and will be our last time attending River Cafe.
- a major dissapointment!baba4Dined on 9/1/2014in a four star restaurant you do not sit and ask for bread and not get it and get ignored, when your meal arrives usually a server asks how it is??? I had to flag her down and tell her my halibut was cold and mushy, and she more or less told me that is the way it is served. Im a foodie, when traveling we chose great restaurants for the experience, so I know how halibut should taste. Everyone else food at the table was okay , but not great! Overall not a good restaurant will not go back!!Special Features:
- Secluded Gem Right DowntownCowtownCriticDined on 9/1/2014Delicious fare for those who enjoy locally-sourced organic and game dishes. Simple menu could use some heftier choices for those with bigger appetites. Ambience is upscale rustic and you won't find a lovelier spot in Calgary. A must-do dining experience.Special Features:
- nice!niceDined on 9/1/2014ended up eating here after mountain hikes and prior to our trip back to the states. though pricey.... we enjoyed our early dining (not as crowded) service with Danielle and food was excellent. perhaps the best place I ate in Canada! nice walk through the park
- Nice Experience but forgettable4gettableDined on 9/1/2014Dining at River Cafe is an experience primarily because of the location and the ambiance. It's quiet and relaxing, however food/value is forgettable.Special Features:
- Cozy CafePickyPatioDined on 8/31/2014I have been to the River Café a few times and have never been disappointed. This was our first time for brunch and had a great dining experience. The food is fantastic and the menu delightfully different from typical restaurant offerings. Friendly service is appreciated particularly since we had out of town guests. A great way to showcase the City of Calgary food scene. We ate outside and noticed that they attempted to attract the wasps away from guests with sugar water on the other side of the patio. They thought of everything.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent brunch, superior servicewinter9Dined on 8/31/2014My friends and I came for Sunday brunch. The menu gave us several interesting choices; we opted for the charcuterie platter. All of the samples were good, and the terrine in particular was excellent. I had a bowl of fine, flavourful clams, while my husband had a generously portioned flatbread. The restaurant does not charge corkage on wine on Sundays. The coffee was good and the service excellent. It was a lovely walk through the island park and I will be happy to go to the River Cafe again.Special Features:
- Service needs workOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/28/2014The service was slow and the waiter was not very good. He dropped the bread on the table and didn't tell us what the bread actually was. Thankfully I asked as it had walnuts and I am highly allergic to walnuts. Dessert menu took 15 mins to get and had food on it and was folded....high class. He then stopped back another 10 mins to take our dessert order. We didn't order as it was taking too long. Really not impressive considering how much they charge!Special Features:
- River CafeJeanMichelVIPDined on 8/27/2014River Cafe is just such a splendid location, right at the center of the city, in this charming environment of Prince's Island. I love it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/25/2014Every bite was absolutely delicious. The service was prompt and helpful. I like the option for having the outdoor heaters.Special Features:
- great lunch experienceklugeDined on 8/24/2014Went for a nice walk along the river before a great lunch in the park. Food and service is always great here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic VenueComposer66Dined on 8/23/2014We recently had our 1st wedding anniversary dinner at the River Cafe. The staff were excellent and really pulled out all the efforts to make our special day so special. Our table wasn't quite ready due to previous diners still finshing their meal, so we were given complimentary drinks at the bar while the table was made ready. We had a fabulous evening, and will be visiting again and often...! Thank you to everyone for making our evening so great.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/23/2014Service was very friendly but definitely slow on a not too busy night. Waited on every course including drinks.Special Features:
- Not quite at the levelbikeridrDined on 8/23/2014For the most part everything was outstanding – The food was prepared impeccably, but when served portions of it were cold and the protein was warm at best. My wife an I were in a hurry, so didn't pursue having it remedied, and it was still delicious, but for the calibre of restaurant I expected more.Special Features:
- River Delivers!AntoniusMaximusDined on 8/22/2014I had guests fly in so I treated them to the River Cafe. They absolutely loved it! Princess Island was gorgeous! The food was amazing! We had their game platter appetizer - highly recommend. The pork chop with rib in was the best dish! I tried the Bison. It was a novelty and good. The next night when some out of town guests arrived unannounced, we also took them to River and they were delighted to find such a place in Calgary in the middle of a park!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Culinary JourneyKandkidsDined on 8/22/2014The Rivercafe is a perfect balance of comfort and ease, with extraordinary and experimental flavours and textures in dining. The menu is creative and the presentation is superb. The staff are well trained to easily interject intriguing bits of culinary information, and exploration encouragement which spark the imagination, and then provide excellent service whisking away and bringing on each dish and its tools without interruption to conversation or enjoyment of the meal. The dining atmosphere is rustic and elegant with beautiful views of Princes Island, the river and a bustling inspired kitchen. Great for a date night, a long dinner of several courses or a perfect escape for lunch break if you are working in the core.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's simple really....OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/21/2014Just go. Eat. Drink. Breathe it all in. Thank you River Cafe.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/21/2014It was a chilly summer evening when we were at the restaurant and it would have been very nice if they had lit the fireplace. It would have really added to the atmosphere plus put some heat in the building.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful for our of town guests!jmg0619Dined on 8/20/2014Food was great, service was perfect and the atmosphere was wonderful! Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LunchRussellDined on 8/19/2014Enjoyed the patio and the food very much. The service was excellent which is always a very pleasant surprise these days.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great ambiancecamsDined on 8/18/2014Tried their special louise trout... Was very good..have been there for lunches numerious times and very impressed every single time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kudos to the management!DLYfromCADined on 8/17/2014Food and ambience was great. But I really want to complement the management for the acknowledging mistakes and fixing them. After enjoying our appetizers, my wife and I waited a long time for our dinner entrees to arrive. The manager came by our table to acknowledge this (withour our prompting or complaining), thank us for being patient, and assure us that the entrees would be ready soon. When they did finally arrive, one of the side dishes was missing. Again, the manager came by, apologized, and then advised that we would not be charged for the entrees! It is (unfortunately) unusual when a business does the "right thing" and does it without prompting. We were impressed. River Cafe has integrity, as well as great food.Special Features:
- Excellent!BrunchBuffDined on 8/16/2014I took my mother here for brunch and thr food was amazing. A touch expensive but worth every penneySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great date nightdateDined on 8/15/2014Relaxed atmosphere, excellent food, great service.Special Features:
- Lovely ExperienceEatingoodDined on 8/13/2014We were invited right in and seated right away, service was great, and food tops. Thanks for the nice evening.Special Features:
- Birthday celebrationbeefeaterDined on 8/12/2014The ice cream at the end with a sparkler was a very nice touch to a great dinner.Special Features:
- mdineDined on 8/12/2014wonderful atmosphere, very good menu with lots of selection, attentive staff, relaxing environment , close to my condoSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday BrunchgreatbrunchDined on 8/10/2014I had been to the River Cafe in the past but my two guests had not been before. We were there for a birthday brunch and had a great time. Two of us had the Eggs Benedict, and one had the French Toast. The meals and service were great. My guests thought the surroundings were beautiful. For special occasions this restaurant makes a great destination. One of my guests was a vegetarian and was pleased to see more than one item on the brunch menu they could eat.Special Features:
- All ThatPetraDined on 8/9/2014The staff went above and beyond and the food was amazing. The small touches for our anniversary were appreciated and I loved the unhurried pace of the meal.Special Features:
- Brunch wasn't out of this worldTtn8Dined on 8/9/2014Brunch was ok, nothing out of this world. We had the bison bennies and a porchini flat bread. The flat bread was flat in flavour, should have gone with the French toast.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.