800 Heinz Avenue
Berkeley, CA 94710Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.rivacucina.com/
- Phone: (510) 841-7482
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday & Sunday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Massimiliano Boldrini
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Farm to Table, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: We have a private dining space that holds up to 22 people. The entire restaurant is also available for private events of parties up to 60.
- Private Party Contact: Jennifer Boldrini 5108417482
A word from Riva Cucina
Our Emilia-Romagna inspired menu offers a selection of organic foods from nearby farms and waters, as well as a few of our favorite products from Italy. We’ve created a place for people to gather and relax with good food and good company. If you would like more information, please feel free to contact us or simply stop by and say hello. We’d love to have you!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Riva Cucina reviews from OpenTable diners
74 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (56)neighborhood gem (47)special occasion (31)good for groups (30)romantic (23)notable wine list (18)great for lunch (12)great for outdoor dining (11)kid-friendly (5)late-night find (3)great for brunch (3)hot spot (2)Show More
- richardGrichardVIPDined on 11/20/2014I went twice in a week I so enjoyed their food. I asked their recipe for the scallop appitizer. Changing menu day to day. Great chef.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's goodmccalmoVIPDined on 11/18/2014We dined here twice in close succession. The first was fabulous, and we really had a marvelous meal. The second visit was more ordinary. But it remains a good and perhaps occasionally great dining option.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 11/15/2014this is a wonderful place--the food is good, the setting is warm, the service is good and, given our era and location, the prices are reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We should have knownmccalmoVIPDined on 11/14/2014Riva Cucina has been in Berkeley at this location for a number of years, yet it was not previously on our radar screen. It should have been, because we have been missing out. The food is fresh and fabulous. The beet salad with farro was to die for. We will be back soon. Lovely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific ItalianLaurahVIPDined on 11/8/2014Three of us had a great meal here for a very reasonable price. We had a bottle of wine, two appetizers and 3 pastas and a dessert. All were excellent...the Day Boat scallop appetizer was perfectly cooked and incredibly melt-in-your-mouth tasty. The burrata was as good as everyone says. Two of us had the pappardelle ai funghi -- really nice, earthy flavor, and perfectly al dente. My husband loved the passatelli. We had sides of the spinach (I needed something green, it was nice and garlic-y) and the cauliflower (excellent). We split an order of the Torta della nonna for dessert -- it was light and not too sweet -- a great finish to the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!DuffsgalDined on 11/8/2014Found this delightful Italian restaurant through Open Table. What a find!! The flavors are superb and the wait staff cheerful and effective. Parking is a breeze. This is the second time in a month we've gone there. I heartily recommend this purveyor of fine tastes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our fave Italian!montclairdiners2VIPDined on 11/7/2014Beautifully executed for each and every item we've ordered over the course of a year since we have found this hidden gem. Love the chef's vision, seasonal touches, and the people who work with him to make the dining experience so enjoyable. Attentive without being overly invasive. Excellent wine list with lots of moderate options. This is the best Italian restaurant in the east bay..!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Among top three Italian in Oak/BerkBradCDined on 11/7/2014Food and ambiance are very good. Service is excellent. An out of the way spot that is very hard to find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 11/1/2014This is one of those hidden gems. Not a lot of media/press/buzz, but consistenty great food. We went on a Saturday night and it was quite busy and loud. Service wasn't that attentive but it was fine. Have also been on weekdays and think I prefer that since it's not as hectic. The burratta is a must-order. Instead of fresh tomatoes, you get carmelized/roasted tomatoes which makes it a unique and always delicious dish. The fried shrimp and zuchinni appetizer was a bit overpriced, but the pastas and porchetta were very generous portions. Another table ordered the pork chop and it was a HUGE piece of meat! I highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- Fabulous!PastaloverDined on 10/30/2014Great service from all! The home made pasta was to die for best I have had in a long time! Dessert was fabulous , a warm bread pudding so delicious ! We think it was quite a find!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A genuine fave of oursBuddVIPDined on 10/30/2014This high quality and friendly restaurant serves high quality and well thought out Italian food. The wait staff are super-friendly and very efficient and thoughtful. The room is very comfortable. Parking is great and it is easy to get to from most everywhere. It is a genuine overlooked gem!Special Features:
- Good dinner for two or with friendsJudithDined on 10/21/2014The food and the wine were really good. We had a great dinner and enjoyed the attentive service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- completely authentic the whole waycarolmangiaDined on 10/21/2014The chef owner is from Ferrara, in Emilia Romagna, north of Bologna and south of Venice. This makes the restaurant, for those of us who are also Italian or Italo-philes, an extra treat since he can speak to guests in either English or Italian, and because his dishes are the real thing. The pappardelle with mushrooms was exquisite, the pasta not being overcooked. The salad with blue cheese and pancetta is the best salad I've had in ages, and I eat salad a lot. I was visiting Berkeley and would come again on my next visit along with recommending the restaurant to any who love good food. The menu isn't touristy, more picky in terms of choosing a few dishes in each category. Dessert was wonderful and the service was very gracious.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/11/2014The greatest flavors of Italian heritage food. Authentic, and very pleasing to the palate. Fabulous presentation, and impeccable service, the suggested wine pairing with our meal was perfect and on the money! The chef owner is very personable and not hurried in preparation. We will reccomend this to anyone local or from out of town guests, who can appreciate talent for food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great authentic Italian foodGerhardDined on 10/8/2014The food at Riva Cucina is the star. It is very fresh, authentic, very well seasoned and there are many great choices on the daily changing menu. They have a nice wine list, which works well with the food. I can totally recommend the restaurant, and we will be back soon!Special Features:
- Loud and small portionsMorethanamommyDined on 10/4/2014The restuarant was loud and portions were notably small. We did enjoy the dessert, however. The moscato was delish. Service was nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- solid; not sublime.OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/26/2014chose this restaurant for a special dinner because i love emigllia-romana and bolognese cuisine; because of chowhound and other online, positive reviews re food and ambiance; and, because we were in the mood for a grown-up, neighborhood restaurant rather than a hipster hotspot. the food was good, but not amazing; the plating and decor seemed a little dated; and, the menu seemed a little random. the chocolate cake was great and the best thing we had. the staff was extremely efficient and well-trained, and while they were friendly, neither the staff or the room felt very warm.
- Good, but overall disappointedGregBDined on 9/24/2014Burrata mozzarella - the caramelized tomatoes was excellent, as was the bread & olive oil. The salmon sauce on the gnocchi - very nice, but the gnocchis were on the heavy, floury side - not pillowy & delicate. The grilled Salmon was overdone; seasoning, the cut, the accompaniment were unexceptional. The chocolate fondant cake was most disappointing. Tho nice, it's not outstanding. One of the edges was dried up. Service & ambiance were excellent. In fact, the waitress had the kitchen recook another small piece of salmon to replace our dry leftover take-home piece. I expected much more with the good ratings on Yelp, google, Zagat. The food had its highlight in the burrata, but had its pitfalls elsewhere, esp. in the dessert. We won't beback.Special Features:
- JinyanDined on 9/23/2014I've been to this restaurant a couple of years ago and had a great dining experience. Took an old college chum out to dinner Tuesday night - what happened? The starters were great, the desserts were great, the wine was good - but the entree just tanked! We both ordered the osso bucco and it was terrible! The dish was woefully underseasoned, the veal shanks were falling into chunks - looked as if they had not been tied when braised. The sauce was pale, watery and lacking in flavor, and the meat was an unappetizing grey. The menu listed polenta as one of the accompaniments, but we had only a smidge on our plate - and even that was unseasoned. What a disappointment!Special Features:
- Enjoyed by AllKathleenDined on 9/23/2014We ate at Riva on Tuesday night for the first time. The restaurant was quiet enough for two couples in 60s and 70s could actually have a conversation. The cod dish was very good and we all raved over the prociutto and pomegranate appetizer. The atmosphere was somewhat romantic, though I think the addition of white tablecloths would greatly enhance the feeling. We will go back again. We shared a chocolate cake dessert- so moist and delicious that it actually melted in my mouth.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a great place on papercollintomikawaDined on 9/20/2014This looks like a great place. All the reviews spoke very well. Our entrees were just okay. So a little disappointing.Special Features:
- Fourth time here -- still greatskyfxVIPDined on 9/13/2014Ambiance and food were great, just like the previous times I had been here. The waitress was nice, but a little too soft-spoken for how lively it was on this Saturday evening. Other than that, no complaints!Special Features:
- Consistently ExcellentArmandPaulVIPDined on 9/13/2014We eat here a few times a year. It is always excellent. This time started with grilled veggies for appetizer followed by a delicious seafood soup.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Shhh...don't tell! ;-)CeCeDined on 9/12/2014At the top of my 'favorites' list...I kinda don't want to tell anyone about this place because it can already be a challenge getting a reservation. I can't say enough good things about Riva Cucina! Wonderful food, pleasant & low key surroundings where one can actually hold a conversation with your dining companions. Wait staff is very pleasant and just the right amount of attentive - I think there's a rule that only nice people are allowed to work there! I grew up eating very similar food...this is the real deal. Enjoy!Special Features:
- Always a TreatKellyDined on 9/6/2014We go to Riva regularly and always enjoy our meal. The bolgonese is a favorite, but I have never had something that I did not enjoy. The service is very good and the atmosphere is relaxing.Special Features:
- World class ravioliStevarinoDined on 8/29/2014The fresh ravioli were wonder fun in a light sauce.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely restaurantoutandbackDined on 8/29/2014Loved everything about this restaurant. My husband and I came here for our 5 year anniversary. The food was spectacular. We ordered the scallop appetizer and they were incredible. Next up we split gnocchi, and then our main dishes arrived. I had the braised pork shoulder (incredibly tender but could have used some more flavor) my husband had the fillet. Fillet is an understatement, this thing was substantial, tender as hell, and the flavor would knock your socks off. I still can't figure out how they served up such a lean cut that was very flavorful without being overbearing, major compliments to the chef. The staff brought us panna cotta on the house for our anniversary and it was perfectly creamy and sweet. We will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Italian Cuisine!Neto48Dined on 8/23/2014I love the food at Riva Cucina. The night I made reservations the place was packed. Nonetheless, as busy as they were, the food was brought out pretty quickly. I had the "Ravioli al Branzino" with sea bass and my friend has the "Salmone Alla Griglia". Both dishes were very tasty, especially the ravioli. Staff was very attentive to us. The only down side for me was sitting next to a large group, which seemed to contribute to the noise level being very high. The waitress having noticed, was kind enough to give us a free dessert, which was thoughtful. But, the noise level on that particular night was just too high. However, that would not keep me away from going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 8/21/2014A favorite dining spot for our son and daughter in law.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodJJJJVIPDined on 8/6/2014Sorry to see that the food is not as good as it used to be. The fig and prosciutto dish was a gooey mess. Other dishes were thrown together carelessly. Too bad!Special Features:
- EHF123Dined on 7/30/2014very nice spot. all the food was delicious (pasta is fresh and tasty), reasonable prices, friendly and efficient service, went wednesday and got free corkage.Special Features:
- Food is OKAnneDined on 7/29/2014This is a decent place with pleasant atmosphere; not sure how it got such a high Zagat rating, though. Also, the wine is overpriced -- not sure what the corkage is but might be worth taking your own.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely overalldalialunaDined on 7/24/2014The burrata and the scallops dish were absolutely delicious, but the antipasto plate (with salumni, olives, etc) was nothing special.
- The following 467 reviews are from the Riva Cucina reviews archive.
- Great Food/AtmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/19/2014Both myself and my girlfriend really enjoyed this place. The prices were reasonable and the food was great. For reference, I had a filet mignon with potatoes and a spinach cooked in a basalmic reduction for $26. The wines were great and reasonable in price as well ($10 a glass for a great red wine). I thought the serving size was just right, but others might have found my dish too small for their likes. I was nice and full at the end and didn't feel like I overate - the dish was completely gone.Special Features:
- A favorite since it opened!FilizBerkeleyDined on 7/18/2014This is a gem tucked away in a former industrial area of Berkeley. I've taken visitors here and they all want to come back. Portions are generous - the appetizer beet salad needs to be shared - and is, by the way, much more than a simple beet salad! Generally Italian with a California twist. Good wine list - try the Octopod Syrah. Servers knowledgable and quick to suggest modifications to dishes to accommodate dietary needs or preferences. In Michelin diction, "worth the detour."Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best Italian I've had in a whileJomama526VIPDined on 6/28/2014Pleasantly surprised ... quiet little spot of the beaten path. Magnificent entrees ... wonderful sparkling Lambrusco ... Great service! My new favorite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic Italian Gemserve2allVIPDined on 6/28/2014One of Berkeley's best kept secrets....lovely Italian restaurant with some very creative dishes (the scallop appetizer is delicious).Outdoor seating worked with warm weather. Staff very friendly. Lovely Italian wines. Easy street parking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Riva Cucina...A Wonderful FindGinaSDined on 6/21/2014We fortunately found this cool little establishment on Zagat and starting with the caprese salad, prosciutto with mozzarella and country bread started the meal was fantastic. Would have ordered a bottle of wine, but the ho hum waitress offered no suggestions. She in fact was the least pleasurable aspect of the evening. Entrees, desserts, cappuccinos, company though were all exceptional. Will definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tucked away gemOpenTable Diner Since 2001Dined on 6/20/2014Personal, thoughtful food and warm mindful serviceSpecial Features:
- deliciousEmc1Dined on 6/20/2014Three of us had dinner at Riva Cucina on a Friday night. The food is very authentic and delicious. Staff friendly and professional. It got noisy around 8pm (actually too noisy for us, but we're older...) However, that's the norm with restaurants so you just have to live with it. The panna cotta was yummy.Special Features: