Riva Crabhouse on Navy Pier
700 E Grand Ave
Chicago, IL 60611Neighborhood:
Gold Coast / Streeterville
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Riva Crabhouse on Navy Pier
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.rivanavypier.com/
- Phone: 3126447482x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:30am – 3:00pm; Dinner: Mon - Thur: 5:00pm – 9:30pm; Fri 5:00pm - 10:00pm; Sat 5:00pm - 10:30pm; Sun 5:00 - 9:00
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood
- Executive Chef: Luigi Garcia
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Phil Stefani Signature Events is a full service off-site catering department, specializing in events of all types.
- Special Events: Riva offers three private dining rooms for your special occasions and corporate events. The skyline creates a beautiful background for any event. Contact Michelle Mori at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
A word from Riva Crabhouse on Navy Pier
Enjoy the breathtaking views of the Chicago skyline & Lake Michigan at Riva on the Navy Pier. Featuring a variety of premium seafood, steaks & daily chef’s specials, the nautically inspired dining room is complimented by the experienced service.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
Riva Crabhouse on Navy Pier - Best Restaurants in Gold Coast / Streeterville ›
Riva Crabhouse on Navy Pier reviews from OpenTable diners
306 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (249)special occasion (165)romantic (107)good for groups (93)fit for foodies (92)great for lunch (47)notable wine list (46)neighborhood gem (38)hot spot (32)great for brunch (30)kid-friendly (29)late-night find (24)great for outdoor dining (23)vibrant bar scene (13)Show More
- Decline of a ClassicDaveDined on 10/26/2014After two years' absence, we returned recently to renew one our favorite Chicago experiences: Chicago Shakespeare and Riva. Riva's space and great view are the same. The food was fine, though my sea bass was slightly over-salted and the "mixed vegetables" were bland. Our server was good, but he was the only server on the floor who didn't act like he'd just gotten off the bus from the Podunk diner. Servers repeatedly shouted across the room to one another; the head waiter bossed and reprimanded servers in front of customers; and a tall-haired waitress plopped our bill down directly between my fork and the second bite of my dessert. Message received: Hurry up so we can turn over the table for another fungible batch of faceless tourists!Special Features:
- Who'd service all aroundJzzzzDined on 10/25/2014We made a reservation to,watch the Navy Pier fireworks. They honored our request, giving us a fabulous view. My wife wants to go back for our anniversaries, so great job, Riva.
- Outstanding but no viewAJ2BIGDined on 10/25/2014The service and food were outstanding, but the real reason I chose the restaurant was the view. We were seated in the only area of the restaurant were there was no view.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A let downGnMBDined on 10/25/2014This was our second time here. Last year was amazing, couldn't wait to return. This time not so much. Very crowded. Food was average service was ok once they finally came to the table.
- Nothing specialOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 10/25/2014Stone crab was very good, but service was bad. Felt like we were forgotten, none asked to fill drinks or check on us. Too busy setting up for a large party. Asked to move from a wobbling table and after they moved us it felt like they were not to happy so just left us. For the price there are other places to go.Special Features:
- Special birthday celebrationLovechicagoDined on 10/25/2014My online special requests were handled fabulously. Excellent treatment. Great evening was had by our party.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently terrific restaurantEdmondsResidentVIPDined on 10/25/2014Always great food and service. View is wonderful.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/24/2014A very reliable spot...and a perfect accompaniment to attending Shakespeare theater.Special Features:
- NauticalDined on 10/24/2014Excellent for Shakespere Theatre/Navy Pier attendees.Special Features:
- Not on Par...KirkJDined on 10/18/2014We typically go to Riva's about every year or so. The food always has been excellent, the service attentive and you can't beat the view of the lakeshore over dinner. This last visit didn't meet really come close to their usual standards. Our server was a bit lost and disoriented. The cheeseboard that we ordered was basic and with no explanation to what was served, although it didn't really need much. It was Brie and a white cheddar. Well presented, but below standard. The early season King Crab was flavorless, which may just be the time of year. My wife had the lemon sole. The filets were overly seasoned with black pepper and had a disproportionate amount of chard on the disk. Again, not bad...just not greatSpecial Features:
- NanaDined on 10/17/2014I took my daughter for dinner for her 21st birthday and we had a lovely time. Our wait staff, Abel and Michele, were so very nice and the food was amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service But...SaraLovesFoodDined on 10/17/2014The food was sub-par. I had the lemon pike, which tasted nothing of lemon. It was saved only by the bed of lobster risotto upon which it rested. My husband had the pork chop, and while the sauce was quite flavorful, the meat itself lacked seasoning. It was very busy but you would never know it from the excellent service we received. I just wish the food had been better.Special Features:
- Perfect Pre-Theater DiningChuckD105VIPDined on 10/17/2014Riva is perfect for pre-Shakespeare Theater Dining. The location is perfect. They offer a discount and they know how to pace the meal so that you do not feel rushed. That said, it always seems to us that Riva should be better. The atmosphere is terrific, but they don't seem to really try with the food or wine. The $50 crab legs advertised as first of the season were soggy and they don't crack them for you - probably because it is so hard to crack soggy legs. The wine list shows no imagination at all - a compilation of mostly standard names requiring no wine knowledge or passion. We will be back - and they know that - so expect the same next time. Chocolate cake and coffee were excellent.Special Features:
- Always goodQuinnVIPDined on 10/17/2014Riva is always good. Food and service outstanding. We both had the pike grilled which was tasty and hot and cooked perfectly. A delightful view and perfect place to go if you are attending performances at Shakespeare Theatre or the Skyline StageSpecial Features:
- Great after-theater diningOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/16/2014I went to the Shakespeare Theater matinee which s right beside this restaurant. Had a great dinner experience with my family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedRLENDined on 10/16/2014I have had lunch at Riva a number of times before going to a play at Chicago Shakespeare. This is the first time I've been disappointed and I really hope it was a one-time experience since there are really no other interesting choices at Navy Pier. I ordered a seafood salad. When it arrived, there were brown radishes on it. I pointed this out to the waitress who immediately offered to get another salad. Then a gentleman, I assume a manager, came to the table and said that those were the only radishes they had. I changed my order to another salad that was satisfactory. Here's my question: Why would they even put brown radishes on a salad. Radishes were not mentioned on the menu as an ingredient. Why not just skip them??????
- Good as alwaysGaryDined on 10/11/2014Riva is our favorite fish restaurant. The food was great and the view was spectacular, even during construction..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NickyVIPDined on 10/10/2014Good restaurant to go to before Shakespeare TheatreI would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful DaytcruffDined on 10/8/2014Meal was delicious. Wait staff was excellent and helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OscarDined on 10/1/2014all in my part liked it, what we expected from Riva will go back againSpecial Features:
- Great food...great viewDine4funDined on 10/1/2014This was our first time at Riva after getting a strong recommendation from friends. The food was perfectly prepared and the service was unassuming but top notch. Nice wine list. Great place to go for dinner prior to a play at the Shakespeare Theatre...you get a 20% food discount if you present your theatre tickets.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mom's Birthdaymoms70Dined on 9/29/2014My sister's and I took my mom to Riva for her 71st birthday. Our waiter, Alicia was attentive and she smiled a lot. The presentation of our food was good. I ordered a medium well filet and it turned out to be well done. I informed Alicia and she was good about taking my plate back. The manager brought the new filet back herself which was nice. When it was time to wrap the food, Alicia asked the servers to box our food. Unfortunately, she has to ask 3 different services to do it an none of them did. We could see how frustrating this was for Alicia. She ended up doing it herself. In the end we tipped her 22% for her diligence. From there, we had birthday cake which was on Riva and my mom was happy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RivaCST68Dined on 9/27/2014Lovely experience. Can't beat the view. Food and service goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a great time2ccRiderDined on 9/27/2014My husband and I were celebrating our birthdays. View was outstanding. Food and drinks were great. Service was exceptional. Although it was very crowded the wait staff was very attentive.Special Features:
- Great seafood and view of City.LandMDined on 9/27/2014Riva's has good service, food, and great food. All of the seafood dishes which our party ordered were fantastic. Also, we told our waitress we had a time limit, (we had tickets for the play at the Shakespeare Theatre), and she accommodated us without rushing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ReliableCodyVIPDined on 9/27/2014This is the place to go before a Chicago Shakespeare Theater production.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RivaLibertadVIPDined on 9/27/2014We went following a play at the Shakespeare. The food is good, but not memorable. A little pricey in my opinion, even with the theater discount.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant eveningPrague19Dined on 9/26/2014As usual, the food, service, view and ambiance of Riva were excellent.Special Features:
- 2essenceVIPDined on 9/26/2014This time we didn't order a lot of food, and they were still as professional and accommodating as ever.I appreciate that in good restaurant!Special Features:
- treeDined on 9/26/2014dinner before theater, good food and we are served to meet our curtainSpecial Features:
- Navy Pier's BestNiceWVIPDined on 9/25/2014If you want to have a lovely meal in a beautiful setting and you like seafood, this is your place. They also have meat or chicken options. Service is always attentive and not intrusive. Try to sit near the windows for a view of the lake and skyline and boats, large and small. Make reservations, especially on the weekends. We had the beet salad and the grilled halibut with veggies. It's all delicious. One of us had the cioppino (a seafood stew) and loved it. Desserts are large and yummy. Our dish of 3 or 4 gelatos in a pastry cup was enough for 3. Prices are in moderate to high range but they are worth it. For a perfect evening get tickets to Chi. Shakespeare and dine at Riva beforehand.Special Features:
- JkjkVIPDined on 9/24/2014I'd eaten here several years ago and was really looking forward to returning I was a big fan of Lino's and owned restaurants for 30 years We came in and were seated at the window which we had requested on open table They were breaking down tables loudly and the lights were so bright we thought the Bulls were going to practice there Food was great and I expect it was a hiccup I'll be backSpecial Features:
- Great food, great service and view!Kays3KidDined on 9/20/2014A group of five us stopped for lunch before heading to Chicago Shakespeare. Everyone liked their meals very much and thought the house wine was very good. Service was top notch. Crab cake and salads were very well prepared and presented. Beware of the chocolate cake! One dessert was more than enough for five of us, but it was worth every bite: delicious!Special Features:
- Great View/servicedefoodieDined on 9/19/2014Our server Able was fantastic. Great views, drinks, and overall a great dining experience. Highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious King Crab!GottaRun4Dined on 9/19/2014Some of the best King Crab legs I've ever had. The Au Gratin potatoes are a must! A bit on the pricey side ($170 with tip for dinner with an appetizer, wine, and a dessert) but when you are dining downtown, it's part of the territory. Eat at any Chicago steakhouse, and you're spending almost that amount per person anyway. The service was fantastic and we were able to get a 7 pm reservation on a Friday night just a few hours before. Looking forward to our next Riva experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with a viewPickymanDined on 9/19/2014I took my husband there for his birthday because I wanted some GOOD lobster...(hehehe) He had the sole and was elated at how great it tasted. Over all the experience was a good time.Special Features:
- Date night at the Riva.Sylvia1Dined on 9/19/2014Riva Crabhouse is a great place for a seafood dining experience. Great food, excellent service, beautiful view. I highly recommend it.Special Features:
- No BargainOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/19/2014Even with the 20% off for Shakespeare and no wine or desert, we spent $80. The seafood appetizer was disappointing. However, the fish - halibut and sea bass - were well cooked and fresh, and the vegetables were crisp and yummy.
- A favorite pre-show dinnerIllini33Dined on 9/18/2014Whenever we go to Shakespeare at Navy Pier we go to Riva's, and it's not just for the Shakespeare discount! Great food, excellent service, fresh fish specials....can't be beat. We'll be back again and again.Special Features:
- Lunch for our visitors from ParislynnloveslifeDined on 9/18/2014Lovely spot on the pier! Food was delicious, had the blackened whitefish, crab legs and oysters. Delish-ioso! Waiter very attentive and knowledgeable... loved the water view... would have loved for the view to be on the north side ... skyline but really great atmosphere!Special Features: