Riva Crabhouse on Navy Pier
700 E Grand Ave
Chicago, IL 60611Neighborhood:
Gold Coast / Streeterville
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Riva Crabhouse on Navy Pier
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.rivanavypier.com/
- Phone: (312) 644-7482
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:30am – 3:00pm; Dinner: Mon - Thur: 5:00pm – 9:30pm; Fri 5:00pm - 10:00pm; Sat 5:00pm - 10:30pm; Sun 5:00 - 9:00
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood
- Executive Chef: Luigi Garcia
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Phil Stefani Signature Events is a full service off-site catering department, specializing in events of all types.
- Special Events: Riva offers three private dining rooms for your special occasions and corporate events. The skyline creates a beautiful background for any event. Contact Michelle Mori at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
A word from Riva Crabhouse on Navy Pier
Enjoy the breathtaking views of the Chicago skyline & Lake Michigan at Riva on the Navy Pier. Featuring a variety of premium seafood, steaks & daily chef’s specials, the nautically inspired dining room is complimented by the experienced service.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
Riva Crabhouse on Navy Pier - Best Restaurants in Gold Coast / Streeterville ›
Riva Crabhouse on Navy Pier reviews from OpenTable diners
303 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (243)special occasion (151)good for groups (104)romantic (97)fit for foodies (91)notable wine list (45)great for lunch (44)neighborhood gem (40)hot spot (32)late-night find (25)great for brunch (24)kid-friendly (24)great for outdoor dining (18)vibrant bar scene (14)Show More
- Great restaurantfoodieDined on 11/24/2014We love this restaurant...the food and service have always been excellent. Unfortunately this visit was lacking. The food and wine were still excellent but the service was not up to the standards we have always experienced. Our waiter was slow and kept talking to another table in Spanish and not paying the attention he should have to his other tables...and we were the only other table! I realize it was a weeknight and slow but that was not an excuse for the poor service. In the past we have always been very happy with the wait staff but this time we were disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good meal - great servicemooshka19Dined on 11/22/2014Husband had the lobster bisque and wedge salad which he loved. I had the grilled halibut which was okay. Dessert was good - gelato.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- elegantOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/20/2014We dined on a Thursday evening. The place was quiet, nearly empty. That had me worried about quality, but I would say the food was very good and the service was excellent. We were seated by windows on the S. side with sparkling views of the city skyline. only drawback: it's nearly at the end of Navy Pier, much of which is under construction right now; getting there isn't easy and it feels remote.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DebJDined on 11/14/2014The food was great although a bit pricey for the portion sizeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OkayOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/11/2014The oysters were awesome! However, it's Navy Pier and tourist overpriced food.Special Features:
- We always go on our anniversaryOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/8/2014The service was great. I had the corn-crusted halibut special which was delicious and perfectly cooked. My wife allowed me to sample her Colorado rack of lamb which was also great. Of course, we will be back.Special Features:
- Enjoy RIVAOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/8/2014We drive three hours each way every year to eat at RIVA and celebrate our anniversary. We consider the food, the views and atmosphere very special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/8/2014I have been going to Riva for years as it is the only good restaurant on Navy Pier and I am a Shakespeare Theater subscriber. The food is consistantly good, but Riva tends to be rushed feeling due to all teh theater patrons trying to make curtain time. They do do a good job with the crowds, though they do misplace reservations .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't go on Saturday NightSherlyVIPDined on 11/8/2014We have been to Riva many times. This time we went on a Saturday night and the restaurant was packed. My fish, usually excellent, was overcooked and dry. The sauce did not compliment it but because the kitchen was so busy I decided not to send it back. I have a specific allergy and when I asked the waiter about an item that I have had at the restaurant before, I was told I couldn't eat it because it had something in it I was allergic to. I think the waiter was just too busy to check the ingredients or the relevant staff wasn't there to confirm the ingredients. The dinner was very expensive and in the end not very satisfying. Will go back, just not on a Saturday night.Special Features:
- Delicious and surprisingSurprisingDined on 11/6/2014The chicken pot stickers at Riva are fantastic! Who would have expected this at a seafood/Italian place? I can have a delicious and healthy meal o f potstickers and shrimp cocktail, maybe a salad. Delicious and a great view!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- navy pier gem....OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/5/2014The freshest seafood, world renowned lamb chops, great view. Only OK desserts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A pleasurable dining experienceJimGDined on 11/3/2014Enjoyed Riva again with great service and very good appetizers, entrees and spirits. Parking on the pier makes for convenient access.Special Features:
- Great dinning experienceBillplDined on 11/2/2014Great food attentive service excellent wine list. Fabulous view of the city and shoreline.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014We attended Shakespeare Theatre, and appreciated the special menu, which we were allowed to spelt.Special Features:
- great theater dinner optionsurprisedDined on 11/1/2014Riva Crabhouse on Navy Pier is a perfect dinner match for attending Shakespeare Theater. The Riva staff was very mindful of our required timing and were spot on in getting us to our timing destination. Service was attentive and our waitress was very knowledgeable about menu items. The noise level was quite civilized and we had no challenge carrying out a conversation. The views are breathtaking. A few Italian menu items from Phil Stefani's Tuscany restaurants would be a welcome addition.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great before ShakespeareOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/1/2014Riva's is conveniently located near the Chicago Shakespeare theatre, and offers a 20% discount if you show your theatre tickets. The view is spectacular; the food is lovely, especially the sauteed vegetables. It is a bonus that one can procure a very tasty meal that doesn't have a lot of fat -- I wish there were even more entrees that offered great food that is heart healthy (i.e., not lots of butter involved). The grilled fish entrees are the ones. Having read that one should avoid farmed fish (because of antibiotics used to address unnatural crowding), I was sad that the salmon was farmed. The fresh grilled pike was great.Special Features:
- Riva CrabhouseJohnBCVIPDined on 10/31/2014This was my first time I went to Riva and I was delighted with the food and service. The roasted beet tower salad and ahi tuna entree were prepared and presented very well and I will definitely come back again/Special Features:
- They make it easy to go to theatergenesDined on 10/31/2014The food here is very good. A nice range of seafood choices with meat for the recalcitrant. But the wait staff is excellent and attentive to your theater requirements. Our waiter brought our check and reminded us that we needed to be out and off to Chicago Shakes just when we, ourselves, had lost track. We would have been terribly late if he wasn't on top of things.Special Features:
- Decline of a ClassicDaveDined on 10/26/2014After two years' absence, we returned recently to renew one our favorite Chicago experiences: Chicago Shakespeare and Riva. Riva's space and great view are the same. The food was fine, though my sea bass was slightly over-salted and the "mixed vegetables" were bland. Our server was good, but he was the only server on the floor who didn't act like he'd just gotten off the bus from the Podunk diner. Servers repeatedly shouted across the room to one another; the head waiter bossed and reprimanded servers in front of customers; and a tall-haired waitress plopped our bill down directly between my fork and the second bite of my dessert. Message received: Hurry up so we can turn over the table for another fungible batch of faceless tourists!Special Features:
- Who'd service all aroundJzzzzDined on 10/25/2014We made a reservation to,watch the Navy Pier fireworks. They honored our request, giving us a fabulous view. My wife wants to go back for our anniversaries, so great job, Riva.
- Outstanding but no viewAJ2BIGDined on 10/25/2014The service and food were outstanding, but the real reason I chose the restaurant was the view. We were seated in the only area of the restaurant were there was no view.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A let downGnMBDined on 10/25/2014This was our second time here. Last year was amazing, couldn't wait to return. This time not so much. Very crowded. Food was average service was ok once they finally came to the table.
- Nothing specialOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 10/25/2014Stone crab was very good, but service was bad. Felt like we were forgotten, none asked to fill drinks or check on us. Too busy setting up for a large party. Asked to move from a wobbling table and after they moved us it felt like they were not to happy so just left us. For the price there are other places to go.Special Features:
- Special birthday celebrationLovechicagoDined on 10/25/2014My online special requests were handled fabulously. Excellent treatment. Great evening was had by our party.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently terrific restaurantEdmondsResidentVIPDined on 10/25/2014Always great food and service. View is wonderful.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/24/2014A very reliable spot...and a perfect accompaniment to attending Shakespeare theater.Special Features:
- NauticalDined on 10/24/2014Excellent for Shakespere Theatre/Navy Pier attendees.Special Features:
- Not on Par...KirkJDined on 10/18/2014We typically go to Riva's about every year or so. The food always has been excellent, the service attentive and you can't beat the view of the lakeshore over dinner. This last visit didn't meet really come close to their usual standards. Our server was a bit lost and disoriented. The cheeseboard that we ordered was basic and with no explanation to what was served, although it didn't really need much. It was Brie and a white cheddar. Well presented, but below standard. The early season King Crab was flavorless, which may just be the time of year. My wife had the lemon sole. The filets were overly seasoned with black pepper and had a disproportionate amount of chard on the disk. Again, not bad...just not greatSpecial Features:
- Delish!HotlantanDined on 10/17/2014We arrived a little late, but were seated immediately on a busy Friday night. The service was fast and personable. The highlight, of course, was the food. It was beautifully presented, plentiful, and absolutely delicious. We loved our appetizers, mains, and sides. The dessert menu looked good, but, alas, no room for that. We'll go back in daylight when we can appreciate the view. Excellent experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NanaDined on 10/17/2014I took my daughter for dinner for her 21st birthday and we had a lovely time. Our wait staff, Abel and Michele, were so very nice and the food was amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service But...SaraLovesFoodDined on 10/17/2014The food was sub-par. I had the lemon pike, which tasted nothing of lemon. It was saved only by the bed of lobster risotto upon which it rested. My husband had the pork chop, and while the sauce was quite flavorful, the meat itself lacked seasoning. It was very busy but you would never know it from the excellent service we received. I just wish the food had been better.Special Features:
- Perfect Pre-Theater DiningChuckD105VIPDined on 10/17/2014Riva is perfect for pre-Shakespeare Theater Dining. The location is perfect. They offer a discount and they know how to pace the meal so that you do not feel rushed. That said, it always seems to us that Riva should be better. The atmosphere is terrific, but they don't seem to really try with the food or wine. The $50 crab legs advertised as first of the season were soggy and they don't crack them for you - probably because it is so hard to crack soggy legs. The wine list shows no imagination at all - a compilation of mostly standard names requiring no wine knowledge or passion. We will be back - and they know that - so expect the same next time. Chocolate cake and coffee were excellent.Special Features:
- Always goodQuinnVIPDined on 10/17/2014Riva is always good. Food and service outstanding. We both had the pike grilled which was tasty and hot and cooked perfectly. A delightful view and perfect place to go if you are attending performances at Shakespeare Theatre or the Skyline StageSpecial Features:
- Great after-theater diningOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/16/2014I went to the Shakespeare Theater matinee which s right beside this restaurant. Had a great dinner experience with my family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedRLENDined on 10/16/2014I have had lunch at Riva a number of times before going to a play at Chicago Shakespeare. This is the first time I've been disappointed and I really hope it was a one-time experience since there are really no other interesting choices at Navy Pier. I ordered a seafood salad. When it arrived, there were brown radishes on it. I pointed this out to the waitress who immediately offered to get another salad. Then a gentleman, I assume a manager, came to the table and said that those were the only radishes they had. I changed my order to another salad that was satisfactory. Here's my question: Why would they even put brown radishes on a salad. Radishes were not mentioned on the menu as an ingredient. Why not just skip them??????
- Good as alwaysGaryDined on 10/11/2014Riva is our favorite fish restaurant. The food was great and the view was spectacular, even during construction..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NickyVIPDined on 10/10/2014Good restaurant to go to before Shakespeare TheatreI would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful DaytcruffDined on 10/8/2014Meal was delicious. Wait staff was excellent and helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OscarDined on 10/1/2014all in my part liked it, what we expected from Riva will go back againSpecial Features:
- Great food...great viewDine4funDined on 10/1/2014This was our first time at Riva after getting a strong recommendation from friends. The food was perfectly prepared and the service was unassuming but top notch. Nice wine list. Great place to go for dinner prior to a play at the Shakespeare Theatre...you get a 20% food discount if you present your theatre tickets.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.