251 South 18th St.
Philadelphia, PA 19103Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.rittenhousetavern.com/
- Phone: 2157322412
- Hours of Operation:
Wednesday: 11:30AM-2:30PM; 5PM-10PM
Thursday: 11:30AM-2:30PM; 5PM-10PM
Friday: 11:30AM-2:30PM; 5PM-11PM
Saturday: 11AM-3PM; 5PM-11PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Hilary Hamilton
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Cross Street: 18th and Rittenhouse
- Public Transit: Regional Rail, Market-Frankford, or Broad Street line riders: take respective train to City Hall/Suburban Station, follow signs for the 18th St. & JFK Blvd. exit at the west end of the underground concourse. Exit on 18th St. and walk south 5 blocks to Rittenhouse Square, Art Alliance is located at the Southeast corner of the square.
- Parking: No
- Parking Details: Central Parking *ONLINE COUPONS AVAILABLE
2026 Rittenhouse Square, Philadelphia, PA 19138
A word from Rittenhouse Tavern
Rittenhouse Tavern (located in the Philadelphia Art Alliance) brings refined, contemporary American tavern fare to its namesake neighborhood, Rittenhouse Square. Michelin-Star Chef Ed Brown serves as Chef Collaborator.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Rittenhouse Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
- Wonderful but saddaisyDined on 9/28/2013A lovely restaurant and very good food. I wish they were not closing.I would recommend this to a friend.
- It would have been nice toAlexVIPDined on 9/28/2013It would have been nice to know the restaurant was going out of business that day,
- Last patrons to dine?LastingMemoriesVIPDined on 9/27/2013I believe the restaurant closes tomorrow. Food and service were excellent. Very relaxed atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I'm Surprised!JgsjrVIPDined on 9/22/2013On a previous visit we enjoy the Sunday brunch - not this time. Forty five minutes to get mushy under cooked French toast - not what I expected!
- Best coffee in PhiladelphiaJohanDined on 9/15/2013Beautiful building with a quaint patio in the back. Excellent food and service and perhaps the best coffee in Philadelphia.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Third time not a charmOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/12/2013Have been for brunch twice in the garden and loved it. There for dinner for the first time and was disappointed. The food was delicious but the service was lacking. Our waiter kept disappearing which made little sense since the restaurant was not crowded. At one point I literally thought I was going to have to get up and go find him. This restaurant is not cheap and I would expect the service to reflect the quality of the food and the setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch at The Tablebar258Dined on 9/11/2013My Bacon Egg and Cheese salad was outstanding...good ratios of components, lively light dressing. One of the best main course salads I've ever had. My companion had the cheeseburger and rated it very highly.Special Features:
- Aside from street noise experiencedOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/30/2013Aside from street noise experienced in the garden, this was a delightful dining experience. The portions are well sized and can be shared. The menu is varied and the the presentation excellent. And, there is always the opportunity to see some art.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Where is everyone??OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/28/2013That's not the question you want floating around in your head when you are seated for dinner. But, we found out why. The watermelon salad was a huge hit! Also the wild mushrooms in white wine were delicious! But entrees were fair and horrible. Lamb dish tasted like it spent one too many days in the walk-in. Scallops were just so-so and too many micro greens on top. Service started out okay but after we complained about the lamb service fell off a cliff! Won't be back. We miss Chef Elmi!!!
- Best Place On Rittenhouse SquareJakeRVIPDined on 8/18/2013If you haven't been to this restaurant yet, then you are missing a big time find. Check it out, and you will see. The food was top notch and the service may be some of the best in Philly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't Pass This ByKFWilliamsVIPDined on 8/18/2013Location is easy to miss. In back of Art Alliance just off Rittenhouse Square. Chef is amazing. Service is perfect blend of casual, knowledge, and attention. We've never had a bad meal there. And, you can carry on a conversation with your companions!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, iffy service.alchemistyDined on 8/13/2013I really want to love this place. I love the food, the setting. The interior is gorgeous and the outside area is really nice. But the service was really inattentive... and I don't even like a lot of attention. I never got to have a second glass of wine because the waiter never stopped by for the entirely of the entree course even though I had told her I was going to order more wine. I also was thirsty and had an empty water glass that whole time. That's just not good enough when you're paying that much for food. So, I'll probably give it another try but I'm bummed about how things went the first time.Special Features:
- Pleasant Dining @ Rittenhouse SquarJgsjrVIPDined on 8/11/2013If you are looking for good Sunday brunch in a pleasant setting this is the place. Food was tasty and service was very friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely outdoor spaceOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/2/2013If you are looking for peaceful outdoor dining rather than the people watching craziness on Ritttenhouse square, give this spot a try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was not as good as onneighborDined on 8/1/2013Food was not as good as on previous occasions, but still better than most; do they send the chef home when there are fewer diners?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All the courses we had wereShelleyDined on 7/27/2013All the courses we had were delicious. We had the beet salad, the scallops, the salmon, the steak and the buttercake and sorbet trio for dessert. The rolls were warm and fabulous. The one suggestion I would have would be to dress up the outside dining area. - maybe add table clothes. It doesn't reflect the caliber of the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expected better. Octypus wasOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/19/2013Expected better. Octypus was overcooked and small portion for the price. Hierloom tomatoes were not very flavorful. Not thrilled that at a $60 (per person) meal that staff uniform was t-shirts and jeans.Special Features:
- always excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/18/2013My boyfriend and I find ourselves having the best lunches at this restaurant. Very private, small menu and we have never had a bad glass of wine here. The outside seating is the perfect spot on a nice day and again private.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- perfect.fabricladyDined on 7/17/2013IT IS NICE TO HAVE A LOCAL SPOT WITH GOOD FOOD AND NICE SERVICE. I WISH THEY HAD A WAY TO BRING THE NOISE LEVEL DOWN. THE MENU WAS NOT OVER BEARING AND IT WAS EASY TO MAKE A SELECTION FOR DINNER. MY PLATE WAS CLEAN AS WAS THE PLATES OF MY TWO GUESTS. COMPLIMENTS TO THE CHEF ...WE WILL RETURN FOR ANOTHER MEAL.Special Features:
- The cold corn soup was deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/17/2013The cold corn soup was delicious and the mussels were great! Such delicious bread! A great ending to a lovely day in Philadelphia!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is phenomenal, rightOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/13/2013Food is phenomenal, right amount of serving, presentation is great but more than anything the food taste awesome. Am hooked and will definitely come back. The menu price is reasonable but corkage fee is rather high at $25.00.Special Features:
- The roasted scallops I wishhungryVIPDined on 7/12/2013The roasted scallops I wish the lunch menu was s little more diversified, but the omelets and this dish are superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrunchGingerDined on 6/29/2013A very limited menu and very small portions for the price. The food was tasty and the service was pleasant and efficient.Special Features:
- Exceptional seasonal menu.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/22/2013Exceptional seasonal menu. The quality of the seafood- salmon and swordfish was high and the preparation was fresh and light. Great choices and great outdoor setting. The garden provides the best of alfresco dining in a quiet. soothing environment. Quite different than some of the competition in that area. Service was also attentive and well informed Fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saturday brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/22/2013I was able to make last-minute reservations here for a Saturday brunch which was so helpful because we had friends coming in from out of town who had twin newborn babies and we really wanted a spot guaranteed for our group of 6 adults plus two babies. The hostess was very accommodating, coming around the side to let us in the back gate for the strollers. The food was delicious (spinach and goat cheese omelettes, biscuits and gravy, and mimosas). The service is some of the best I've had in Philly. I just wish the location was open at 10:30 am, instead of 11 am.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We visited on sunday eveninganniemouseDined on 6/16/2013We visited on sunday evening (5:30 pm0 and were surprised to find that only the brunch menu was available. Since they were open until 8pm, we had expected to have a 'dinner', not an eggy brunch. We compromised and had drinks and apps and left. The food and service were fine, but our expectations were not met. Our server said that they would be closing earlier on subsequent Sundays which should remove the confusion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Father's Day First Trybiswas01Dined on 6/16/2013Access isn't handicapped friendly, but we made do with our son who is on oxygen, and his large stroller. Items on the menu all looked great, however food was just ok...had expected things to be a little better based on reviews of Nicholas Elmi, but realized just now that he's no longer in the kitchen. Oh well! Bread basket had a nice assortment of items. Corn soup was delicious, though the butter whip was a little odd to fold in. My wife's burger came out medium rare (we asked for medium), was sent back, and came back without the cheese, sent back, and finally arrived correct, but was well past medium at that point. Ribeye was prepared fine, but quite boring. The tavern is in a great location and has a lot of history. Hope it improves.Special Features:
- Outdoor summer dinningOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 6/15/2013Outdoor dining was lovely, intimate with scenic views and dinner for four was very good. Beet salad and corn soup appetizers were great-sweet enough for dessert. Pork liver terrine was also excellent and enjoyed by all. 3 out of four entrees were very good, however the swordfish entree was far too small of a portion and looked even smaller when plated. 4-5 small pieces the size of a quarter! Hardly worth the cost.Special Features:
- Rudeness and RainantennaVIPDined on 6/14/2013Began raining while we (and many other people) were eating outside. No help from staff! No staff to direct us on what to do. When inside, asked if we could sit at bar. Again service not good. Treated rudely. Not by wait staff in bar who are great but front manager.
- Sunday- breakfast for dinnerKascoVIPDined on 6/9/2013This was very disappointing, not because of the food,... we didn't stay. I had made this dinner reservation when the online menu showed a full selection of delicious sounding apps and entrees. When we arrived, we were seated in their lovely outdoor terrace and given a small paper menu with brunch items, .. steak and eggs, French toast etc. I asked for a dinner menu and was told this was their new summer lite dinner brunch. We left. You must call in advance and ask if they are back up for real dinners on Sunday or you will end up going down the street for your meal.Special Features:
- Garden of delightOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/5/2013We sat in the garden on a perfect June night. The food is always good here, but it was really over the top. I had the salmon tartare, others had swordfish and other entrees. All were perfect. The garden is quiet, birds hopping in the trees, lights flickering and enchanting. We love this little gem and fear that, because it has no obvious street presence, it will be overlooked, but it is just as good if not better than Parc and Rouge and Devon, all of which we like too. Try this out. You won't be disappointed. And if it is a bad night, and you have to eat indoors, the art deco dining room and cozy bar are fabulous too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of Philly's BestSusanVIPDined on 6/5/2013Want great ambiance, great food, great service, and fantastic experience. Here it is.Special Features:
- Absolutely AmazingFairfoodieVIPDined on 6/1/2013I'm so disappointed to hear that the executive chef is leaving! The overall experience here was absolutely fantastic! We went here for my boyfriend's birthday in June, and everything, I mean everything, was creative, unique, and most importantly - absolutely delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I had brunch with a friendyummyDined on 6/1/2013I had brunch with a friend from out of town. The food was delicious; the service patient, unobstrusive, and timely; the ambience quiet, tasteful, private. I highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place!OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 5/30/2013I hate to write this because I don't want to have trouble getting a table. The food is excellent and the service (we had the very nice (female) bartender as great. It's a very welcoming place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just another restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/25/2013We went to The Rittenhouse Tavern for the second time, too cold to eat outdoors, which we would have preferred. We wanted to show a visiter Rittenhouse Square, with a quiet venue, not very plentiful on the Square. The Art Alliance location is special. The menu, though, was of limited selection. My salmon dish was too salty, as was that of one of my companions. The rib eye was good, particularly because of the sauce. We went out for frozen yogurt, so we skipped dessert. Not bad restaurant, but not one that I would seek a re-vsit.Special Features:
- Last chance to eat Nick's foodVinsMomVIPDined on 5/21/2013It is a sad day in Philadelphia. Tuesday night was Nick Elmi's last night cooking at RT. His sous chef will no doubt be great, but I will mourn Nick's parting ways with the restaurant. I look forward to his next venture with great enthusiasm.
- Our second visit, first forjuniorbp2Dined on 5/17/2013Our second visit, first for lunch. Experience was great. Sat in outside garden. Nice menu selection allowing for individual preferences for level of creativity.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner was really fabuluous--IWallly63VIPDined on 5/14/2013Dinner was really fabuluous--I had a salad with buttermilk dressing and bacon that was really delicious. The scallop main course was cooked perfectly with four very generous sized scallops. My friend had the filet special and it too was cooked perfectly with a really lovely reduction sauce.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 5/12/2013Had Mother's Day dinner with daughter and everything was great. Location in mansion turned gallery allows for casual-cool or fine dining. Friendly and knowledgeable staff. The food was fantastic. It is expensive but we felt it was worth it for special occasion.Special Features: