1068 31st St., NW
Washington, DC 20007Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.piccolodc.com/
- Phone: 202-342-7414x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Friday: 4:30pm - 11:00pm, Saturday & Sunday: 3:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Arnaldo Rubio
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Entertainment: Strolling violinist every Friday and Saturday evenings
Strolling guitarist Monday through Thursday, 6:30 to 10:30pm
- Special Events: We have a beautiful party room with bar for up to 70 guests, and a semi-private room upstairs with use of balcony seating for up to 30 guests. Call our Events Office at 202-289-4084 for reservations/questions/menus. Images and details are on our Private Dining page.
- Cross Street: M Street
- Public Transit: Arriving every ten minutes, from 7 a.m. to midnight everyday, the red, black, and yellow-striped Circulator bus. Get to and from Georgetown via M Street and Pennsylvania Avenue, NW. $1.
Blue Georgetown Metro Connector bus picks up from Dupont Cir & Rosslyn Metro to M Street in Georgetown. We are near the corner of 31st and M Streets.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Public lot and street parking.
A word from Ristorante Piccolo
Established in 1986, Ristorante Piccolo is a romantic and unique Italian trattoria with walls of sun-blessed amber hues, full of the warm-hearted wines and food that match the spirit of Italy, loved by Washingtonians and visitors alike! It is a tiny gem just off the beaten path in Georgetown, offering one of the best seats in Georgetown—a second-floor balcony overlooking Georgetown and the historic C & O Canal, and is a very popular spot for rehearsal dinners and celebrations. Piccolo will happily surprise you with its excellent food, service, wine and atmosphere--with three cozy-lit fireplaces, 2 beautiful wall water features and unique ironwork throughout, adding to the warmth and romance of the restaurant. A strolling violinist sets the perfect mood for romantic dining on Friday and Saturday evenings, and can also be hired for that special party. Piccolo has recently won TASTE OF GEORGETOWN's Best Entree, & a Diner's Choice award from OpenTable for Most RomanticContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Ristorante Piccolo - Best Restaurants in Georgetown ›
Ristorante Piccolo reviews from OpenTable diners
137 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
romantic (81)neighborhood gem (63)special occasion (53)fit for foodies (33)notable wine list (24)great for outdoor dining (19)good for groups (15)great for lunch (9)scenic view (8)great for brunch (8)late-night find (5)kid-friendly (3)hot spot (3)Show More
- Great experiencejoefoodDined on 10/18/2014I was a little nervous about dining here, having read way too many reviews before coming, but we were pleasantly surprised to find that our experience mirrored those of the most positive reviews. We were seated immediately, our servers were all prompt and courteous, and our food was fantastic. Stand outs include the appetizer bread filled with mozzarella and lightly fried, and the gnocchi. All of our fresh pasta dishes were wonderful. Although the noise level was loud, we had a nice table in the front room and were able to converse without any problem. Would definitely return.Special Features:
- First time experience and enjoyableWebsightDined on 10/14/2014We based our first visit to Ristorante Piccolo on other reviews we read in Trip Advisor and they didn't disappoint. Overall an enjoyable experience with nice setting, good service and the food was above average--although portions were relatively small.Special Features:
- great little italian restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/12/2014we came to Ristorante Piccolo because we couldn't get into a different well-known Italian restaurant and we very pleasantly surprised. food was excellent - selection was great and the service was outstanding...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great !jakeDined on 10/12/2014This is our 2nd time while visiting our son & we enjoy the staff & food & service. While it was a busy nite due to holiday weekend our waiter surprised us with a complimentary dessert. A nice touch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/11/2014Wasn't bad, but won't go back. Food was fine, but very bland. Everthing needed at least salt, although the pasta was good. The rolled chicken & prosciutto, and the chicken piccata were tough. Tables were a little too close together. Felt like we were dining with the couple next to us. Service was just ok. We had to ask for drinks. It's a shame becasue it looks like it should be this great romantic Italian restaurnat in the heart of Georgetown, but not so much.
- DisappointingSpeedsterVIPDined on 10/10/2014Went for an evening meal with friends. Generally a disappointing experience - food was pretty poorly done. Starters were bland, main courses were a long time coming and one had to be sent back as was cold. Server apologized and said it was because they had a large party in - seems that shouldn't be an excuse for poor service times and suggests poor management. Pasta was overcooked, risottos lacked flavor. Ambiance was loud to raucous (possibly due to the large party). Violin player was intrusive and had no intuition on table (lack of) interest in his antics. Would suggest those looking to have a catch up with friends consider elsewhere.
- quaint atmosphere, slow serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/3/2014While we were seated immediately upon arrival at 8:30, service was slow, first to take our order, and then for the meals to actually arrive. The house bread was forgettable. The California Cabernet was very good and the mixed green salad was excellent, but it took over an hour for our meals to arrive from the time we ordered, and once the food came I was very disappointed. The lobster ravioli I ordered arrived lukewarm, and bland tasting. The portion size for this meal in particular, but also for others in our group of four, was less than generous. We ended up feeling rushed to make it back to the river cruise on time to catch the last boat at 10:30. Given the charming atmosphere of this restaurant, I had hoped for better . . .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the tripMscarDined on 10/3/2014I was trying to get into Filomena's, but it was booked. This was a second choice, but it should have been our first. Apps were fantastic, my wife said it was the best ravioli she has ever had. I had a risotto special which was V. Good. My son had a veal dish that was bursting with flavor. Friendly service. Tables are a little close, but somehow we did have our privacy. Highly recommended.
- We loved itOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/28/2014Please don't miss. The desserts were lovely…try the tiramisu! It was dark and romantic…the dinner was perfect:) Next time we are in Washington we will definitely return. Make reservations because it is small and look at the wine list!Special Features:
- A lovely place to dineRick0526VIPDined on 9/28/2014Piccolo is a lovely place. The restaurant looks more like a private home than a commercial establishment, and Moe Jaldi, Piccolo's long time manager, sees to it that his clients are treated like family. The food is wonderful. If you plan on visiting the D.C. area, put this restaurant on your must visit list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Italian restaurantTienouVIPDined on 9/27/2014Good food, decent wine list and charming house in Georgetown. Try to have a table on the balcony.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/26/2014We were in D.C. to visit the Capitol's museums and white house, and were delighted to find this restaurant. We were in DC for three nights and we ate at Piccolo two of them. Our server Maya is the best server we have ever had. She suggested dishes that she thought we would like and she was right on target. Maya also paired our meal with a fine wine. Maya is a true asset to this restaurant The food was prepared by a true lover of the Italian cuisine our complements to the Chef. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone and everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/22/2014I have eaten here several times and loved my meal and service. but tonight was not good. I ordered shrimp scampi, an italien standard anywhere and it was very disappointing. no flavor, no real garlic zest, no real sauce to dip my bread and the shrimp were overcooked and frozen - will have to think twice before dining here again. hope this was just a bad day.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/20/2014Came from out of town and had never tried Piccolo. We loved it. The food was good, not great, at least according to me. Everyone else at our table liked their choices better. However, the service was great, the waiters are very friendly! They even gave us free champagne to celebrate a birthday. I would definitely oh back again!Special Features:
- MedioceFB0037FoodieVIPDined on 9/14/2014I made brunch reservation having had good experience at dinner, we were seated right next to an open window which had flies swarming around us. The food was not seasoned well and was overcooked. At the very least I'm not coming back for brunch.
- Food was good, but felt very rushedDCnativeDined on 9/13/2014This was our second time here and you could tell something was off. I'm not sure if it's because they gave into the LivingSocial and Groupon's of the world or if it's b/c it was Saturday night, but everything was rushed. After ordering a bottle of wine, the waitress told us that she preferred we order everything at once instead of relaxing over an appetizer and then ordering. We refused. Then we had to ask what the specials were and then we got the impression that we were making them go out of the way to explain them to us. In the end, I don't think we'll keep Piccolo on our list of traditional places to go to. Beyond that, the food was still good, but I'm glad that we waited the 45 minutes past our reservation time to sit on the balcony.Special Features:
- EE from SRQEEandSEDined on 9/11/2014Loved the ambiance, impeccable service and delicious food. One of the best places in Georgetown at reasonable prices, I'd go back any time.Special Features:
- Sunday Brunch-Great Valuehak3VIPDined on 9/7/2014Good choices, very moderately priced and quality above average. Recommended for informal dining and minimal hype from staff.Special Features:
- Not quite up to parRobertDined on 9/6/2014We've eaten here at least three times in the past two years and normally hold the restaurant in high regard. Something was off this night and I hope it was temporary. The food we ordered was not up to their usual high standards and the wine we wanted from their wine list was not available. The replacement wine for the same cost was mediocre at best. My wife's seafood pasta went from being accompanied by angel hair pasta to regular spaghetti and my veal scallopini was not as tasty as usual. Service was fine and there was a good crowd so perhaps it was just an unusual occurrence.
- service could have been betterOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/5/2014Visits to table by waitstaff was infrequent. Was asked if I wanted grated parmigiano but never got itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodADU14Dined on 8/31/2014The service and food were great! My only complaint would be that the food came out too quickly. However, this ended up working in our favor because we wanted get out and beat the rain, since we had to walk home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful DinnerShannonDined on 8/30/2014My husband and I chose Piccolo's for our anniversary dinner and it was wonderful. I had the Lobster Ravioli and there are not enough good things to say about this dish - delish! My husband is a picky eater and the waiter was great with walking him through the menu to find the perfect dish to his liking. We both found the servings to be just the right size, not too big that we were stuffed, but not too small that we were still hungry. The price of our dinner was well within line of our expectations with appetizers, main course, desert and a bottle of wine. Honestly we cannot wait to go back.Special Features:
- quiet side streetSergioDined on 8/27/2014I was at this restaurant in the evening time so i think there is a great little romantic spot but usually in the day times i think it's more of a bustling place. But the food was delicious and prepared quite well. the chicken dish i had was like butter and the salads were quite fresh and tasty. The selection of wine at this place is quite good too. I don't know if this a evening thing at this place but it gives a personal touch to it but the owner was around and having drinks and doing a bit of a dance haha. The only thing i couldn't try at this place that I really wanted to was to dine in the balcony but being really hot outside i think i will return another timeSpecial Features:
- Little Piccolo=Big Culinary EffortsJLSCTVIPDined on 8/25/2014"Piccolo," means diminutive or small in Italian, but Ristorante Piccolo is BIG on choices & culinary efforts. Think of it as G'town's Little Italian Kitchen That Could: deliciously cheap prix-fixe lunch, brunch deals, excellent and bargain-priced 3-course "Sunset Special", (& all this in pricey Georgetown!) Balcony is charming & wait staff has always been welcoming & accommodating. GM David Shan is a delight! On previous visits we loved Tuscan tomato soup & the Bistecca a la Piccolo, which can satisfy the largest appetite. This time we enjoyed Pollo San Marsano w/ artichoke heart, sun-dried tomatoes, mushrooms, light cream sauce & Gamberi Allegro w/ angelhair pasta, shrimp, garlic, bell peppers, peas, white wine/light cream. Che Bella Note!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Repeat visit with friendsWineYahooVIPDined on 8/23/2014Enjoyed very good meal (agnello) with friends. Comfortable and very good service.Special Features:
- cute placeNicoleDined on 8/23/2014I didn't care for the salmon but the service was good. Nice ambiance for a dateSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Crowded SpaceFranciscoVIPDined on 8/23/2014The prices for this place are a bit outrageous for the portion sizes given, and the restaurant is pretty small, so when full on a Friday or Saturday night, it can get pretty cramped. The plus side is that the food actually tasted good, but I probably won't be returning without some kind of great deal anytime in the forseeable future.Special Features:
- DeliciousJTDCVIPDined on 8/20/2014I have been here many times, and have never been disappointed. Be sure to go early, as specialties and favorites DO run out (just like at all other comparably great places!)Special Features:
- PleasantGinnyDined on 8/20/2014Nice menu delicious clams appetizer and all raviolis outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ristorante PiccoloMPNGourmetDined on 8/18/2014This restaurant on 31st NW in Georgetown just off of M St. is a great find. It's a quaint place with two floors for dining including a cozy balcony upstairs and fireplaces on the ground floor and features a large varied menu of Italian-inspired dishes incorporating some touches of classical French preparation in the sauces. Daily specials add to the choices. The service is impeccable and gratious and what one would expect to find in a restaurant with a much higher price point- as Piccolo is reasonably priced for excellent food and service. The wine list compliments the menu and offers several choices by the glass. This was my first visit, but I can assure you I will be back as there are so many delicious choices to enjoy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a great time at PiccoloKenyaDined on 8/17/2014Although our favorite server Maya was not on duty, we were greeted by a very friendly hostess and placed with Omar-who was great! We received a very special welcome from Piccolo's great assistant manager Moh. He immediately sent over two glasses of champagne-this even before we opened the menus. The Calamari Fritti appetizer started dinner-delicious! My wife ordered the Gamberi Ameberi-fresh broiled shrimp with garlic, bell peppers, peas in white wine and light cream sauce over angelhair pasta. I had one of the dinner specials-Bistecca di Lombo-which was London broil brushed with olive oil, (YES) perfectly grilled and topped with lump crabmeat, bernaise sauce and served over mashed potatoes with arugula. Our night-5 stars! Always SUPERB!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food great viewschollieDined on 8/16/2014Food was good but not the best I have had. My wife agreed. Sat on balcony on a beautiful night overlooking the action on the street below. It was our anniversary. I write that in the Open Table reservation but the restaurant didn't mention it. Ok if they don't do that type of thing, but was a bit disappointing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great violinistErnieDined on 8/16/2014Great food, good service. Enjoyed Jim Deal, their violinist.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Well worth a visitStycksDined on 8/10/2014Very good menu and excellent food, the service was first class, the ambience also and a very reasonable price for what we enjoyedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CharmingluckyrenoDined on 8/6/2014The food was delicious. We had 3 pasta dishes and one chicken piccata. The service was good. She was knowledgeable and helpful in our choice selections. There was a large party of 16 with an infant that was unhappy being there so it made for a less than enjoyable meal. Overall a nice time and will return.Special Features:
- Would not go back!DisappointedDined on 8/5/2014The food was bland and overpriced and the seafood entrees were overcooked. Service was very poor. Our waiter brought out the wrong food to the two of us, and did not return to the table once to check on how everything was once the correct entrees were brought out. In addition, we ordered a bottle of wine and when we asked to have the bottle corked at the end of the meal, our waiter took out a cork from another random bottle from his apron. There are too many good restaurants in DC and I would not recommend this place to anyone.
- Very unique restaurantRedheadDined on 8/2/2014Our food was delicious. Our was just a bit snippy. Didn't pay attention to the small details of our needs. Got one of the orders wrong. Then had to wait for the right order to come out. She did offer free desserts for the wait we had for our food. Atmosphere was great. Nice restaurant....we will try again when we are back in Georgetown.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another lovely mealNomNominDCVIPDined on 8/2/2014We had another great meat at Ristorante Piccolo. I won't repeat myself re: the service and ambiance which are both great. I just want to make a specific note about the gnocchi with mushroom /cream sauce that my boyfriend had (it was a special). The gnocchi was well cooked and the mushroom cream sauce was delightful. Thank you Piccolo for another great evening.Special Features:
- FantasticTiggercrazeDined on 8/1/2014I had a great time here. The food was amazing the staff was friendly. I already recommended this place to a stranger looking for a place to eat with her friends their last night in DC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I will go backSLTheFoodieDined on 7/27/2014The food was very good, but not necessarily great. The service was adequate, but not really impressive. The menu is pretty extensive and I would go back to try more dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.