1167 Madison Avenue
New York, NY 10020Neighborhood:
Upper East Side
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.ristorantemorini.com/
- Phone: (212) 249-0444
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 2:30pm
Saturday - Sunday: 11:30am - 2:30pm
Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm
Sunday: 5:00pm -9:30pm
Monday - Sunday: 2:30-5:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Michael White
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Ristorante Morini
Ristorante Morini celebrates Italian cuisine by offering regional specialties, showcasing Chef Michael White’s modern interpretations of traditional dishes. Upon arrival, guests are welcomed by a lively first floor dining room, featuring a stunning backlit bar. The bar at Ristorante Morini features seasonally crafted cocktails along with a full menu. Ristorante Morini takes reservations 30 days in advance and by phone for the first floor dining room.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Ristorante Morini reviews from OpenTable diners
190 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (115)neighborhood gem (97)special occasion (92)notable wine list (61)romantic (48)great for lunch (41)good for groups (40)hot spot (29)great for brunch (10)vibrant bar scene (8)late-night find (8)scenic view (3)kid-friendly (3)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Positively outstanding in every way!bpanarelVIPDined on 11/17/2014Food is the best Italian around. The service impeccable. The people are friendly and the accommodate my allergies without rolling their eyes as some restaurants do. This is an A+ restaurant. Prices are reasonable for the food you receive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go elsewhereControlitDined on 11/16/2014I was excited to try this new restaurant and the downstairs has a very nice ambience..Maybe a bit loud but it's fine for drinks. We chose to eat upstairs and I was expecting an outstanding meal. The menu offered great selections. I had the veal chop and my date had the duck for main courses. The duck which I suggested medium as often it seems to come out to rare when ordering medium rare. I mentioned this to the waiter and still the duck came out very rare. It was also thick and my date didn't make a single comment (neither of us did) about the food being good (or bad). The veal chop was ok but noting special. I said to the waiter that I felt I was on a cruise..I wasn't even sure why I said it but really it did remind me of a cruise in that the menu was excellent, the food visibly looked appealing but there was just something about it that made me think it was at best a step up from a buffet. The appetizers were ok, I can't remember what they were but nothing special. The coffee was excellent and the milk was heated, a nice touch. The service was good, the table comfortable. I am not overly harsh and critical as a rule but anyone who would have the same meal we did and would be happy or satisfied is clueless. This was at a level I would expect to find way outside of Manhattan and I wouldn't like it there either. Forewarned is forearmed. You hopefully will never know how I just helped you avoid yet another disappointing meal in Manhattan...It shouldn't be this way.
- Good not greatMSSCMLDined on 11/9/2014The best thing about Moriani is that you can actually have a conversation there -- the tables are spaced comfortably apart and the ceilings are high. The food is really average for Italian in New York -- and it is expensive for that. Good bartender and service. If you sit at a banquet you may need to ask for a pillow to sit on, which they will provide. Won't go on our favorites list.
- exquisite food!geminiDined on 11/9/2014This is truffle season; and, in addition to all the other marvelous offerings, the chef added special truffle dishes. DELICIOUS!!! I had the best Dover Sole I've ever had (and this is saying a lot)! It was the sole with raisins and almonds and... all kinds of wondrous things. The polenta with the oeuf was heavenly as well.Special Features:
- delicious - but not enough lobsterpeter0924Dined on 11/6/2014this was my first time there at lunch.My guest ordered tuna to start and was delighted by it. We both ordered the lobster tortelli, me as starter, he as a main course. Both lobster and pasta were delicious. We were disappointed by there being just a few very small pieces of lobster in our servings - very different from when I had it at dinner. If it is a matter of cost, thetc restaurant should raise the price if need be, rather than disappointing like that. My main course was rich sea bass. One pat of butter for two was meager. Could have been much better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best on the upper east sideUESdinerDined on 11/2/2014Morini is my favorite of the Altamarea Group restaurants, and lucky for the upper east side, it's close by! From the warm welcome at the door, to the extensive wine list and superb sommeliers, to the delicious and beautifully prepared food... It's perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedCotymomVIPDined on 10/27/2014Granted we went on a Monday night but at their prices no excuse for the entree that came out of the kitchen. I asked for well cooked swordfish and twice it came Out thick and rare. Ugh. Pink thick chunks of swordfish. Not such a difficult request to honor. Waiter offered more wine for my wait which was nice. Ultimately I gave up on the fish and risotto was fine. A better choice We opted to eat in less formal bar downstairs and the music was loud and nasty when we came in. They did lower it but just not an appropriate choice for the clientele they draw. So all in all a disappointment. It may work for wk nite dinners on UES looking for a quick meal out but I wld not go out of my way for this dinner
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/25/2014I like food but I am not a crazy foodie, but when I tried their veal chop I literally stopped speaking for a few minutes and just ate. It was amazing. My girlfriend's meal was delicious as well, friendly and knowledgable staff, busy but not overly loud. Easily one of my favorite restaurants.Special Features:
- Outstanding food and serviceDiningJenVIPDined on 10/25/2014This was our first visit to Ristorante Morini and we'll definitely be back. The service was impeccable and the dinner, drinks and desserts were fabulous. A wonderful find!Special Features:
- Outstanding Italian FoodbpanarelVIPDined on 10/24/2014They have Gluten Free pasta! All the food is served European style which is nice size serving with wonderful mixture of flavors. They also have great fish and other selections. Something for everyone. Staff is friendly and you feel like they enjoy their job which enhances your dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great discovery.ApergoVIPDined on 10/20/2014We went on a Monday night and thought we were going ti be the only ones at the place. To our soprise the restaurant was full of elegant and cool people making a great ambiance. Food was very good they had a nice list of wines and we had a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overrated + OverpricedwnrdnrVIPDined on 10/18/2014Was looking to show special out of town guests an outstanding NYC evening. Chose this Altamarea location because of proximity to where they were staying. Was compelled to write this review after such a disappointing experience. We were first seated in an uncomfortable, high traffic thoroughfare, though the dining room was nearly empty. Staff is attentive, yet unfriendly. Both first and main courses were served tepid. I had far higher expectations of the ultimately mediocre meal. But, perhaps the most unsettling part, we were charged an astronomical $50 for water. Yes, water. The upside is that the acoustics are ideal for conversation, which is necessary considering the food is unremarkable.
- Nice Surprisejmg28Dined on 10/18/2014I lived on the upper east side for years and never ventured to 86th & Madison. Exceptional food & service. A bit on the pricey side, but worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A outstanding restaurantcagerVIPDined on 10/17/2014This Michael White Resturant will not disappoint you. The cuisine is amazing and the service was paced just right. Will return to this place when we travel to NYC again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth the moneyplatoDined on 10/17/2014We sat down for close to 10 minutes before someone gave us the menu. The food is salty. It was hit or miss. It was cool to have a sommelier wine tasting station in the center of the dining room. It was not cool to see our waiter drank the wine left by the sommelier.
- Happy occasionboxcajaDined on 10/14/2014Outstanding for dinner with friends. We enjoyed a first class dining experience in this lively, cheerful room; Michael White's delicious fish and pastas; friendly, intelligent, superbly paced service. The room is wonderfully arranged for conversation. Prices fair, but could have done without the white truffle "sticker shock".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- outstanding Italian//MediterraneanjanelexVIPDined on 10/13/2014Really enjoyed our meal. Fluke crudo was outstanding and beautifully presented. Mushroom risotto also delicious. Lovely upstairs dining room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great neighborhood additionpeter0924Dined on 10/12/2014We were a party of 4 on Sunday evening.The crudo, salads, pastas, porterhouse steak for two, lamb chop, vegetable sides, and the ice creams were all delicious, and we were all delighted with the experience. All flavors were clean, precise and worked well together. The wine list is noteworthy for its inspired breadth and epth of choices. . The decor could be usefully cheered up. I particularly liked the fluke and yellowtail crudo, Maine lobster tortelli, lamb chop and chocolate ice cream. The staff were all very friendly. While there was an occasional lag in checking if we wanted service, it was all very pleasant. We would all certainly go again as well as recommend to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best...VirginiaDined on 10/9/2014Food, service, atmosphere. Have been there several times and am never disappointed. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- LisaVIPDined on 10/8/2014Poor attitude on the part of the staff. Mediocre food. Prices are way too high for the quality of the food and service with "attitude". Once is too much for a visit to this restaurant.Special Features:
- Pricey but value in quiet & serenenyc2centsVIPDined on 10/8/2014Have only sat upstairs a few times.The prices are quite expensive, but the restaurant is beautiful and serene and most importantly, upstairs the tables are very well-spaced apart so if one wants to have a private conversation, or simply enjoy the ability to hear your table mates and not the noise from other tables, this is a good choice. Also a good choice if one person has hearing loss, easier for them to filter out the background sounds.Special Features:
- Solidluv2dineVIPDined on 10/6/2014This is my third or fourth time here and I have always been happy with my meals. I continue to be shocked by how empty it is. I wish the prices were slightly cheaper as then it could become more of a regular for me and our family but at those rates it simply can't. Nor does it qualify for a special night out. That said, the food has always been good and the service solid.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Morini was MarvelousOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/4/2014We had a large group (9) but had excellent service and the food was delicious. The only complaint was that my husband's veal chop was fatty, but when he commented on that to the waiter, he brought us a complimentary dessert. I would definitely go back again.Special Features:
- $$$$ but not *****awhite31VIPDined on 10/3/2014The restaurant is pleasant on the inside and the service was good. My wife and I felt the food was: a) average at best (there are several Italian restaurants in our neighborhood we prefer); b) way overpriced (all three courses, and wine list too); and c) delivered in tiny portions (we ate when we returned home). Our advice would be for Morini to double the food portions or halve the prices.
- Wonderful dining expereience!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/2/2014We loved everything we ordered - everything! I loved the monk fish and the brussel sprouts - will try a pasta dish on next visit!Special Features:
- Definitely a winnerWillbeback4sureDined on 10/2/2014Each course was truly a culinary delight! The food was fabulous! The staff was attentive and not obtrusive Would definitely recommend highly and will go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fab!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/2/2014I had dinner here 2 nights in a row. First as a guest, then as a host. The receptionists and staff couldn't be friendlier. UES neighborhood is perfect for me!Special Features:
- Very NiceporkyVIPDined on 10/2/2014Restaurant is a great local restaurant that is elegant and a place where one is able to have a conversation without screaming their lungs out! Much appreciated.Special Features:
- Delicious ItalianermaDined on 10/2/2014Six of us ate there; four had the prix fixe. Everything was great, including the veal chop, lamb, and several fish dishes. Two areas of preference separated the meal from perfection. I like my monkfish a little underdone, but I realize that is not really typical. It was not really overdone, but it was at the high end of the range of acceptable. Also, the gnocchi is soft and pillowy, whereas some might like it a little firmer. Since most gnocchi is inedible while this was very good, this is not really just guidance. Nobody finished their plates--especially the meat entrees--so portion size was not an issue. I also think the desserts were not as strong as the rest. Biggest complaint--the only Sauterne was $50 a glass.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Addition to NeighborhoodbpanarelVIPDined on 9/30/2014The Chef provides a wonderful selection of Italian pastas and fish dishes-actually everything is great! Flavors are wonderful and the portions are just the right size. They also have Gluten Free pasta! You have to try it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- way over priced!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/28/2014Food was good as always but it is way way over priced! Simple salad and pasta meal for 4 for $400!!!Special Features:
- DonFistclassguyDined on 9/27/2014Second time at this relatively new restaurant. It is a special place. Everything about it is perfect. iSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No love in the foodBeanerVIPDined on 9/26/2014We were really looking forward to trying Morini because its in our neighborhood. The service is Outstanding, the menu fine (except the calamari salad with buratta cheese is a big mistake) but what struck my husband and me is there was NO LOVE in the food. You could taste that it was just slapped together, robotically. Very uninspired first and main courses - we had the calamari, beef carpaccio, poached halibut and cod. The saving grace was the chocolate bomba dessert. Unfortunately, we will not be going back - not worth it.
- fantasticdutchesDined on 9/25/2014great food - what a treat in an area where there are not many great restaurants.Special Features:
- Best bet for a special eveningHipdeliciousItaliangemVIPDined on 9/24/2014Gorgeous contemporary Italian design pairs with delicious Italian cuisine beautiful festive crowd makes it a great party you won't mind paying for... The bill will be high but so will your spirits be leaving this great new addition to the neighborhood!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a difference a change makesJustUs2VIPDined on 9/23/2014Our return visit but not our last - this time the dining room was fuller and the noise level higher but the table placement made it work and we could hear our table mates. the food was extraordinary - innovative yet familiar - as was the wine Thanks againSpecial Features:
- Elegant ItalianArthurVIPDined on 9/23/2014Recent addition to the Upper East Side, this restaurant combines first rate service with a good menu and a superb wine list. The dishes re well diversified between antipasto, pasta, meats and fish. The cooking is perfectly done. Service even goes beyond the normal high end as they will deliver reading glasses to you. Modern, spare decor lends a elegant chic to the atmosphere. I only wish the portions were bigger so I could eat more of the meal.Special Features:
- Good restaurant but expensiveMic58Dined on 9/20/2014The design is great, the service very good. We enjoyed the food but felt it was over pricedSpecial Features:
- Versatile and always deliciousLewisVIPDined on 9/19/2014The food has consistently been fantastic. Recently I had a risoto which was both simple and mind blowing. Additionally, this place is great for romantic date, business dinner, and brunch with a child. I've done all three here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Neighborhood Gem!diniVIPDined on 9/13/2014The Altamarea group does it again with this warm, friendly Upper East Sider that gets its fish just right! The branzino and arctic char are sublime. The service is most friendly and accommodating, and the ambiance is very inviting. It's a bit pricey, but this IS the UES, after all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.