San Francisco, CA 94109Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.milanosf.com/
- Phone: (415) 673-2961
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Italian
- Executive Chef: Aldo Blasi
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wine
- Catering: The full menu is available, in addition to custom orders.
- Private Party Facilities: We can accommodate private lunch functions, and semiprivate parties for dinner. Also, the entire restaurant is available for buy-outs.
- Private Party Contact: Aldo Blasi 4156732961
A word from Ristorante Milano
The flavors of Milano's food and the rhythm of the dining room are reminiscent of trattorias in Italy's cities, according to Gourmet Magazine. It is a charming, intimate restaurant with an Italian staff, top quality ingredients, homemade pastas, exceptional veal, polenta, risotto, and fresh seafood delivered daily, served in warm surroundings. Known as the "hidden jewel of Russian Hill" The San Francisco Chronicle calls Milano "one of the most consistent restaurants in the city".Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Ristorante Milano - Best Restaurants in Russian Hill ›
Ristorante Milano reviews from OpenTable diners
96 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (80)fit for foodies (55)romantic (41)special occasion (27)notable wine list (25)good for groups (8)hot spot (3)kid-friendly (3)late-night find (2)Show More
- Awesome truffle dinnercawineguyVIPDined on 11/18/2014Each year I look forward to returning to Ristorante Milano for a very special treat: simple pasta with white truffle shaved on top. It is a great dish; there is no way to leave unhappy. Try it, you'll love it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent neighborhood Italian RestaurantJimCVIPDined on 11/15/2014This is one of our favorite SF restaurants. Aldo is a gracious host and the food is always excellent. My wife raves about all his seafood dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectMattVIPDined on 11/12/2014One of my best Italian meals ever. The burata was perfect The swordfish was tender and freshSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food and serviceAsh1Dined on 11/9/2014Delicious fresh handmade pasta, friendly and attentive service and an intimate setting. We had a great night!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/7/2014Outstanding food and service, we were lucky enough to have truffle shaved on your pasta, it was Devine. We eat in silence no need to express the joy we were having our taste buds exploding with happiness!Special Features:
- Worthy of a special tripOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 11/1/2014This was my first time to Restorante Milano and it exceeded all expectations. It is a small, intimate space and we changed at the last minute to a larger group of 7. They handled the change without problem. All of the dishes were delicious and beautifully prepared. The calamari entre was a particular standout. The service was friendly and expert with both the food and wine, the ambiance warm and neighborhoody. A joy all around. It is definitely a restaurant worth seeking out in SF.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingCflitterDined on 10/27/2014Wonderful food, fabulous service and can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- internationalfoodnutinternationalfoodnutDined on 10/25/2014had a nice dinner here on back upper level. starters, strawberry and arugula salad, burrata and bruschetta, entrees, lasagna, veal limon, and seafood linguini. all shared and all good. dessert only two, pera cotta and chocolate cake, both good. will repeat when in s.f. great server made the meal enjoyable and timely. great all around!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MBBBVIPDined on 10/18/2014Tight, cozy, & busy - sure. East Bay resident enjoys finding the SF nbhd gems. Very, very good ravioli, gnocchi, brussel sprout soup, bruschetta. Will return.Special Features:
- Loved this place!nplambeckDined on 10/15/2014I was in San Francisco on business and wanted to eat at a local place with good food. This place was exactly what I was looking for. As a solo diner, the ambiance was welcoming and inviting, and Susanna was the perfect hostess and server. She spent time helping me choose my wine and meal, and we shared stories about what we loved about San Francisco. By the time I left, I felt as if I had made a friend. I highly recommend Ristorante Milano.Special Features:
- Oustanding cuisine and serviceLuvgr8cuisineVIPDined on 10/12/20141st dinner @ Milano for a birthday event. Food quality was outstanding. One of the best Italian meals I have had in the US. Fresh ingredients, detailed attention to quality, very good service. Wine list reasonably priced and has a great selection of lesser known labels. Will definitely return. A neighborhood gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not impressed at allFOODMANDined on 10/11/2014We had visited there with a group and the reception was pompous and rude. This continued through out our service. We felt rushed as if lots of other people were going to be coming in to this place and we were taking up space. No one came in to take our space! The food was not good. I expected based on reviews and the attitude of the waitress that all food was amazing. ALL of us agreed it was just OK. Thats too bad as italian food is not that hard to make fast amazing. I would not go back unfortunately. I'm sure from the attitude that the server gave us that this review will be looked at in the attune of "he doesn't really know good food" I assure you I do. I love upscale restaurants that make amazing food and this is not one of them.
- Like dining in Italy!FoodyoneVIPDined on 10/4/2014Love this place! The food is terrific and authentically Italian! The service is warm, friendly and helpful! We feel like we are dining in Italy! The grilled calamari with white beans was fresh and flavorful as was the salad, and salmon entrees! The tiramisu was out of this world! There is a very nice selection of wines from Italy, and the staff is helpful if you wish advice. On previous visits we have enjoyed the ravioli as well as veal and chicken dishes. We enjoy neighborhood Italian and it does not get better than this!Special Features:
- SFlovespastaDined on 10/3/2014Great food. My only complaint is they don't serve any soda. Some people like coke, rootbeer or sprite with their meal. It's odd that they don't carry any soda.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WinnerBillDined on 9/27/2014This is one of the best places in SFO. Family operated, great food and friendly place.Special Features:
- Phenomenal Neighborhood SpotpeterDined on 9/27/2014Absolutely great dining experience. The wine menu perfectly accentuates the delicious Italian food you will enjoy here. Cheers!Special Features:
- If you're want for a magical placeJaimeseyDined on 9/26/2014...then, look no further, Ristorante Milano is the place. This little gem is nestled on Pacific Street, and, one has the unique experience of being honored guests of the servers, hosts, and owners. I can't wait to eat there again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MartyDined on 9/24/2014In a word, Ristorante Milano is FABULOUS. One of the best italian meals we have had in San Francisco if not THE best. Even better is the staff. From the chef to the busboy all were attentive, friendly and knowledgeable. We will be back. Our only regret is that we do not live in the neighborhood so we could eat there more frequently.Special Features:
- A neighborhood restaurantKennDined on 9/21/2014This is our go-to place for Italian food. The quality of the food is high and the service is outstanding. They have a great wine list focused on Italian wines, and they are passionate about their wines. Another advantage of this place is that it is reasonably quiet and you can carry on a conversation at a normal volume level. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- First time to write a reviewPepperVIPDined on 9/20/2014Never written a review (although dined many times through open table) wanted to comment on the level of the food and wine which was very high.... I would recommend this to anyone looking for spot on northern italian cuisine....great apps, entrees and wine.Special Features:
- Outstanding!Jhenry60Dined on 9/19/2014The croustini fungi, insalata mista, ravioli special and lamb chops with a very reasonably priced Seghesio Zin (2012) and of course, service that was above and beyond, resulted in a dining experience that we will be talking about for years to come. Simply outstanding! Wish we had another opportunity before leaving and will definitely recommend Milano to anyone we know who is traveling to San Francisco.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous, as alwaysMikeTheKnifeVIPDined on 9/18/2014I have been coming to Milano for special occasions, date night, and business dinners for more than 20 years. It has never disappointed. Service and food are always top notch at this cozy place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not great for the pricegongtaoDined on 9/13/2014I wanted to try this restaurant because it was very well reviewed both here and on Yelp. What I found was an unpretentious neighborhood restaurant, cramped and noisy when full (although the noise and lack of space are pretty typical in SF). We ate grilled chicken livers with radicchio (excellent), burrata with greens (burrata was substandard and dressing on the greens had much too much vinegar), and veal saltimbocca (OK but not special). My wife had a vegetable and lentil soup, which I did not try, but she said it was something we could have made at home. If I lived close by and the prices were more reasonable, I could see myself going again, but the for the prices here we could have gone somewhere much better, both in food and atmosphere.
- nice business dinnergkla1Dined on 9/11/2014Good food, unobtrusive service. Enjoy the gnocchi.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KrzyjaloDined on 9/7/2014Simple restaurant with good Italian food. Typical without high special something.Special Features:
- Lovely!RickDined on 9/4/2014Good Italian food, decent wine list and friendly and knowledgeable service.Special Features:
- "Amazing" is an understatementbbmiamiVIPDined on 9/3/2014The outstanding ratings are accurate. This is an intimate and charming location with wonderful food and outstanding service. If you're visiting, you will feel like a San Francisco native in this neighborhood gem location. The food was excellent. The salad (heirloom tomato and strawberry) was one of the best I've ever had, and the bruschetta was amazing. The seafood linguine had fresh and ample variety, and the veal with eggplant was tender and flavorful. The service was friendly and professional. We asked our server to recommend a wine. Upon tasting it (we thought it was OK), she thought it was a little "corky" and brought us a different bottle, which was noticeably better, and wonderful. Don't miss this place!Special Features:
- Delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/31/2014food was great, service was fantastic. we really enjoyed our meal at this restaurant and will be returning.Special Features:
- Neighborhood GemFood4thoughtVIPDined on 8/26/2014Restaurant is off the beaten path. Owner is in house most nights and doubles as greeter. I almost never order off the menu, as their specials are usually superb. Servers are great and have personality and they don't rush you. Little bit noisy, but if you want quieter ask to sit in the front room, as it holds less people.Special Features:
- Restaurant MilanoOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/24/2014We go to Restaurant Milano often during the year.....driving down from the Peninsula. It is just one of the best local SF restaurants anywhere. Food is always fresh and creative and the owner Aldo and his family/staff are great. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicioso!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/22/2014Get the gnocchi you will not be disappointed. Our family stumbled upon this neighborhood gem while on vacation in 2013. We just visited again this August and we're delighted it was still there and as good as we remembered. Ciao.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!JennandEric14Dined on 8/22/2014My fiance and I have date night once a week and I am always looking for new places to eat that can satisfy a night of indulgence. I found Ristorante Milano on Yelp and am very pleased we did..... the food was so good and flavorful! It is small but a great place for a romantic night with a significant other, the service was perfect and it feels like you are in Italy with an italian family there running the restaurant.Special Features:
- Solid ItalianOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/15/2014Our Order: Grilled Calamari Pinot Grigio, 'Simcic' Collio, Sloveno, 2011 Lasagna (on Special) Gnocchi with Gorgonzola Sangiovese, 'Mazzoni', Toscana, 2010 Tiramisu Vin Santo, Vigna del Papa, Toscana, 2005 The tiramisu was just okay. Everything else was delicious. The squid was cooked perfectly, with great grilled flavor. The gnocchi was soft and tender. The lasagna had a nice, meat ragu and the texture of the pasta was great. Milano was delicious.Special Features:
- Milano'sGenevois2Dined on 8/12/2014Food is always fresh and great tasting. A local gem!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/7/2014We forgot to review this after our meal, but we wanted to attest to that Milano is still fine Italian dining. We have eaten here on almost every visit to The City and our 2014 experience at Milano was still excellent. The difficult-to-please family of our sister were our guests at this dinner. They loved Milano and raved about it for months later. Everything is good on the menu, the dining is intimate and friendly. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Une belle cuisine authentiqueFrenchyDined on 8/2/2014Perché sur Russian Hill, avec une toute petite salle, ce restaurant donne l'impression d'etre invités comme à la maison. La cuisine italienne y est authentique, bonne et bien présentée. Le service rapide et efficace. Un bel endroit pour un beau moment de cuisine traditionnelle. La place y est tout de même comptéeSpecial Features:
- Our favorite SF restaurantSusanDined on 8/1/2014We have been going to Milanos for more than 20 years and it never fails. It's a family favorite for birthdays besides non celebrations. Aldo always welcomes us warmly and the rest of his staff is first class!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Italian foodfoodpassionateVIPDined on 7/28/2014I have been a regular at Ristorante Milano for several years and consider it my go to Italian destination. Great waitstaff, excellent specials, affordable and thoughtful wine list. Genuinely run by Italians who really care. Everyone remembers your name, welcomes you and is sincere in asking you how you are enjoying the meal. Best of all, when you ask what is really good they don't say Everything!Special Features:
- Bravo!!LindsVIPDined on 7/27/2014This place is simply the best. We had my 30th birthday here on a Sunday evening, and everything was perfect! Everyone was happy with their dishes, and the staff was very accommodating to our group of 8. I will be back here for many birthdays days to come!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 750 reviews are from the Ristorante Milano reviews archive.
- happy recommendationSeattledinerDined on 7/20/2014A friend of my daughter's suggested this restaurant so we made reservations. We arrived a little early and were seated right away as it was a fairly quiet Sunday evening. My daughter had the lasagna special and I had the chicken saltimbocca. Both were perfect and the lasagna wasn't overly heavy. Service was attentive and thoughtful. Even though a couple of larger tables came in later, the noise level wa reasonable. We would highly recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.