San Francisco, CA 94109Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.milanosf.com/
- Phone: 4156732961
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Italian
- Executive Chef: Aldo Blasi
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wine
- Catering: The full menu is available, in addition to custom orders.
- Private Party Facilities: We can accommodate private lunch functions, and semiprivate parties for dinner. Also, the entire restaurant is available for buy-outs.
- Private Party Contact: Aldo Blasi 4156732961
A word from Ristorante Milano
The flavors of Milano's food and the rhythm of the dining room are reminiscent of trattorias in Italy's cities, according to Gourmet Magazine. It is a charming, intimate restaurant with an Italian staff, top quality ingredients, homemade pastas, exceptional veal, polenta, risotto, and fresh seafood delivered daily, served in warm surroundings. Known as the "hidden jewel of Russian Hill" The San Francisco Chronicle calls Milano "one of the most consistent restaurants in the city".Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Ristorante Milano - Best Restaurants in Russian Hill ›
Ristorante Milano reviews from OpenTable diners
88 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (74)fit for foodies (45)romantic (35)special occasion (23)notable wine list (19)good for groups (8)kid-friendly (3)hot spot (2)late-night find (1)Show More
- First time to write a reviewOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/20/2014Never written a review (although dined many times through open table) wanted to comment on the level of the food and wine which was very high.... I would recommend this to anyone looking for spot on northern italian cuisine....great apps, entrees and wine.Special Features:
- Outstanding!Jhenry60Dined on 9/19/2014The croustini fungi, insalata mista, ravioli special and lamb chops with a very reasonably priced Seghesio Zin (2012) and of course, service that was above and beyond, resulted in a dining experience that we will be talking about for years to come. Simply outstanding! Wish we had another opportunity before leaving and will definitely recommend Milano to anyone we know who is traveling to San Francisco.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous, as alwaysMikeTheKnifeVIPDined on 9/18/2014I have been coming to Milano for special occasions, date night, and business dinners for more than 20 years. It has never disappointed. Service and food are always top notch at this cozy place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not great for the pricegongtaoDined on 9/13/2014I wanted to try this restaurant because it was very well reviewed both here and on Yelp. What I found was an unpretentious neighborhood restaurant, cramped and noisy when full (although the noise and lack of space are pretty typical in SF). We ate grilled chicken livers with radicchio (excellent), burrata with greens (burrata was substandard and dressing on the greens had much too much vinegar), and veal saltimbocca (OK but not special). My wife had a vegetable and lentil soup, which I did not try, but she said it was something we could have made at home. If I lived close by and the prices were more reasonable, I could see myself going again, but the for the prices here we could have gone somewhere much better, both in food and atmosphere.
- nice business dinnergkla1Dined on 9/11/2014Good food, unobtrusive service. Enjoy the gnocchi.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KrzyjaloDined on 9/7/2014Simple restaurant with good Italian food. Typical without high special something.Special Features:
- Lovely!RickDined on 9/4/2014Good Italian food, decent wine list and friendly and knowledgeable service.Special Features:
- "Amazing" is an understatementbbmiamiVIPDined on 9/3/2014The outstanding ratings are accurate. This is an intimate and charming location with wonderful food and outstanding service. If you're visiting, you will feel like a San Francisco native in this neighborhood gem location. The food was excellent. The salad (heirloom tomato and strawberry) was one of the best I've ever had, and the bruschetta was amazing. The seafood linguine had fresh and ample variety, and the veal with eggplant was tender and flavorful. The service was friendly and professional. We asked our server to recommend a wine. Upon tasting it (we thought it was OK), she thought it was a little "corky" and brought us a different bottle, which was noticeably better, and wonderful. Don't miss this place!Special Features:
- Delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/31/2014food was great, service was fantastic. we really enjoyed our meal at this restaurant and will be returning.Special Features:
- Neighborhood GemFood4thoughtVIPDined on 8/26/2014Restaurant is off the beaten path. Owner is in house most nights and doubles as greeter. I almost never order off the menu, as their specials are usually superb. Servers are great and have personality and they don't rush you. Little bit noisy, but if you want quieter ask to sit in the front room, as it holds less people.Special Features:
- Restaurant MilanoOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/24/2014We go to Restaurant Milano often during the year.....driving down from the Peninsula. It is just one of the best local SF restaurants anywhere. Food is always fresh and creative and the owner Aldo and his family/staff are great. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicioso!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/22/2014Get the gnocchi you will not be disappointed. Our family stumbled upon this neighborhood gem while on vacation in 2013. We just visited again this August and we're delighted it was still there and as good as we remembered. Ciao.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!JennandEric14Dined on 8/22/2014My fiance and I have date night once a week and I am always looking for new places to eat that can satisfy a night of indulgence. I found Ristorante Milano on Yelp and am very pleased we did..... the food was so good and flavorful! It is small but a great place for a romantic night with a significant other, the service was perfect and it feels like you are in Italy with an italian family there running the restaurant.Special Features:
- Solid ItalianOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/15/2014Our Order: Grilled Calamari Pinot Grigio, 'Simcic' Collio, Sloveno, 2011 Lasagna (on Special) Gnocchi with Gorgonzola Sangiovese, 'Mazzoni', Toscana, 2010 Tiramisu Vin Santo, Vigna del Papa, Toscana, 2005 The tiramisu was just okay. Everything else was delicious. The squid was cooked perfectly, with great grilled flavor. The gnocchi was soft and tender. The lasagna had a nice, meat ragu and the texture of the pasta was great. Milano was delicious.Special Features:
- Milano'sGenevois2Dined on 8/12/2014Food is always fresh and great tasting. A local gem!Special Features:
- Une belle cuisine authentiqueFrenchyDined on 8/2/2014Perché sur Russian Hill, avec une toute petite salle, ce restaurant donne l'impression d'etre invités comme à la maison. La cuisine italienne y est authentique, bonne et bien présentée. Le service rapide et efficace. Un bel endroit pour un beau moment de cuisine traditionnelle. La place y est tout de même comptéeSpecial Features:
- Our favorite SF restaurantSusanDined on 8/1/2014We have been going to Milanos for more than 20 years and it never fails. It's a family favorite for birthdays besides non celebrations. Aldo always welcomes us warmly and the rest of his staff is first class!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Italian foodfoodpassionateVIPDined on 7/28/2014I have been a regular at Ristorante Milano for several years and consider it my go to Italian destination. Great waitstaff, excellent specials, affordable and thoughtful wine list. Genuinely run by Italians who really care. Everyone remembers your name, welcomes you and is sincere in asking you how you are enjoying the meal. Best of all, when you ask what is really good they don't say Everything!Special Features:
- Bravo!!LindsVIPDined on 7/27/2014This place is simply the best. We had my 30th birthday here on a Sunday evening, and everything was perfect! Everyone was happy with their dishes, and the staff was very accommodating to our group of 8. I will be back here for many birthdays days to come!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- happy recommendationSeattledinerDined on 7/20/2014A friend of my daughter's suggested this restaurant so we made reservations. We arrived a little early and were seated right away as it was a fairly quiet Sunday evening. My daughter had the lasagna special and I had the chicken saltimbocca. Both were perfect and the lasagna wasn't overly heavy. Service was attentive and thoughtful. Even though a couple of larger tables came in later, the noise level wa reasonable. We would highly recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/19/2014Consistently excellent food and ambiance. Great small neighbor hood gem.Special Features:
- Italy in SF!FoodyoneVIPDined on 7/19/2014Every time we come here it reminds us of dining in Italy. Everything is freshly prepared with the very best ingredients. Tonight we began with the grilled calamari with white bean appetizer, which was superb! My wife had the grilled veal chop,,,, as good as any she has ever had! I had the veal piazziola.... made with the very finest quality veal and delicious! Great gelato desert! Even the cappuccino was outstanding! The service is as great as the food....very knowledgable, attentive and friendly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Italian experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/12/2014Delicious and authentic Italian food. Focaccia was freshbaked and flavorful. We came for the zabaione, but the chef doesn't offer it on Saturday - too time consuming for them to make.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointslongtimefansDined on 7/6/2014Ristorante Milano has been a winning restaurant for at least 20 years and shows no sign of resting on its laurels. Just great food, great service and a friendly inviting small restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Neighborhood RestaurantJimCVIPDined on 7/3/2014We go here fairly often and have never had a bad meal. We recently brought some of out of town friends here and they loved it.Special Features:
- neighbourhood paradiseOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/2/2014Well worth the walk from Financial District to this venue where the burata, if that is how it is spelled, and that we shared, was heavenly, the home made ravioli, light and extremely tasty, the king salmon cooked just so with a subtle, yet intense basil pesto coulis, followed by the dessert special. The waitress was a delightfully feisty, funny, and very helpful person... the entire evening was a treat!Special Features:
- drm27Dined on 7/1/2014I dine here often. In a neighborhood of many small restaurants, this one stands out.Special Features:
- Never disappointstImnSFODined on 6/29/2014This place is my favorite Italian restaurant in SF. It is authentic Italian with the owners and servers all from Italy. It's cozy, comfortable and the service and wine list are great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What A Wonderful San Francisco GemOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/29/2014My wife an I were spending our 34th anniversary celebration as a weekend in San Francisco. I wanted to go somewhere new within walking distance of our hotel. Through Opentable I discovered Ristorante Milano. The menu was very inviting with a terrific assortment of starters, home made pastas, main courses and desserts (don't miss the homemade gelatos). The food and service was superb, and the wine choices and recommendation spot on for our four course dinner. My wife and I felt like we were transported to Italy for the evening and we will definately return.Special Features:
- exceptional food1foodmaniacVIPDined on 6/27/2014Ristorante Milano is a very small and in a somewhat cramped space, but the food was over the top! The best Tiramisu I've ever tasted. Organic , farm fresh produce made the food prepared, exceptional. The wait service was also very good. I would definitely recommend this place to others. Reservations a must!Special Features:
- Authentic ItalianDonfromcambellDined on 6/27/2014We come to San Francisco a couple of times per year, and with all the good restaraunts in SF, we always come back. We have enjoyed everything we have tried, love the service, and think of it as our special place to go in SF.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great customer serviceonthegoDined on 6/21/2014We made early Saturday reservations at 5pm. My friend and I arrived late due to traffic with no problem, even greeted with a smile. Food was delicious! We had a mushroom crostini & argula salad with strawberries as appetizer-yummy. Our main meal was a salmon dish which could have used a little more seasoning, but good. For desert we had a light and tasty glazed roasted pear served with vanilla ice cream-also yummy! To add to the overall ambiance of dining in a neighborhood Italian restaurant was hearing Italian spoken by the wait staff and other diners. I'm glad we "accidentally" ended up at this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- poppascottDined on 6/20/2014Pay attention to the subtle flavors and tastes. Charming neighborhood northern Italian restaurant. Should be on your list of winners.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good service, good foodRenniePennieDined on 6/14/2014We found this restaurant through OPen Table. We'd never have known about it as it's off the beaten track. Our main problem with the restarant is the lack of parking. Our reservation was for 8pm so we were lucky to find street parking three blocks away. Food was well prepared and hot. Service was handled by two servers so hopefully the tip was shared between the two. Both were personable.Special Features:
- Excellent neighborhood restaurantplaygoerDined on 6/14/2014Food is always really good here. We have been coming for special occasions for years. We live in Fremont and it is worth the drive. Prices are reasonable for the food quality and very good service. It is not in North Beach so attracts the locals and not too many tourists. It really helps that they have a deal with the wine shop down the street that you can pay to park in their lot. Otherwise, there is never any street parking.Special Features:
- Authentic Italian TreatGuidoDined on 6/13/2014You are quick to feel you have been transported to Italia. The menu and ambience provide you a great italian dinner! have been a few times and plan to return soon!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful neighborhood Italian RestJimCVIPDined on 6/7/2014This one of our favorite Italian restaurants in SF. On our most recent visit my wife had the grilled salmon and I had lamb meatballs over polenta. Both were excellent. The service is always friendly and welcoming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/30/2014Have eaten here several times over the years and am never disappointed, the food is always amazing as is the service. I've brought several people here and they have always been impressed.Special Features:
- OutstandingabcdVIPDined on 5/29/2014Delicious food, great wine and outstanding service. Favorite neighborhood restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 730 reviews are from the Ristorante Milano reviews archive.
- great!MDMDVIPDined on 5/24/2014Really enjoyed our time here. Great authentic Italian food and exceptional service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.