59 Penhallow Street
Portsmouth, NH 03801Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.ristorantemassimo.com/
- Phone: 6034364000
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm
Monday - Friday: for groups of 5 or more - We ask that a guest call by 12:00p.m. the day of the reservation to cancel or we reserve the right to charge a $20.00 per person fee.
Saturday: all reservations - We ask that a guest call by 12:00p.m. the day of the res reservation to cancel or we reserve the right to change a $20.00 per person fee.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Jethro Loichle
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Ristorante Massimo is the perfect setting for celebrating a special occasion or hosting a corporate event. Here guests can enjoy customized menus, an intimate setting and impeccable service. Our elegant private dining room can accommodate up to 20 guests and special arrangements can be made for larger groups. State-of-the-art audiovisual equipment is available. We look forward to taking personal care of every detail of your entertaining needs.
- Private Party Contact: Massimo Morgia 603-436-4000
- Entertainment: Our staff!
- Cross Street: State Street
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: Ristorante Massimo offers complimentary weekend valet service. Our private lot is available for guest parking midweek. Simply alert the maitre d' of your arrival via telephone and we will gladly provide access to our gated lot.
A word from Ristorante Massimo
Nestled like a hidden jewel in historic downtown Portsmouth, New Hampshire, Massimo's warmly lit brick and stone grotto walls, fresh flowers and oil paintings of magnificent Italian landscapes transports guests to Florence, Rome and Venice. Guests relax in a richly appointed atmosphere beneath mahogany-beamed ceilings and private parties unwind in their own intimate dining room. Ristorante Massimo offers authentic dishes from all regions of Italy. From innovative concepts to timeless Italian favorites, our executive chef creates each dish with a distinctive, refined touch as found in some of the worlds most celebrated restaurants. Thoroughly unforgettable, unbelievable satisfying. **limited dining room availability offered online**Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Ristorante Massimo - Best Restaurants in Portsmouth ›
Ristorante Massimo reviews from OpenTable diners
101 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelModerate
romantic (85)special occasion (82)fit for foodies (55)notable wine list (47)neighborhood gem (38)good for groups (9)late-night find (6)hot spot (4)vibrant bar scene (3)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Great PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/20/2014We were looking for a nice place to meet out of town friends for dinner. From the second we arrived and had drinks at the warm and friendly bar to our meal downstairs everything was super. We've decided to add Massimo to our recommended and return list.Special Features:
- We WILL be back!TheHowellsDined on 10/17/2014Love this place! Absolutely outstanding food and service! Great for special occasions. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/15/2014we enjoyed our time at Ristorante Massimo the Restratore was very personable, Waitress was very very good, wine was awesome.We ejoyed our time at Massimo's about 4hrs everthing was greatSpecial Features:
- Birthday celebrationCTreviewerDined on 10/13/2014Made a reservation based upon Trip Advisor recommendations. Previous reviews were right on the nose. Excellent meal in a quiet authentic location. We each had the lobster which were prepared uniquely and tastefully. Would highly recommend. We went on a Monday, but on Thursdays there is a fixed price menu that looks quite appealing.Special Features:
- Excellent!FootlooseDined on 10/11/2014We met friends for a special celebration and we're not disappointed. Our waiter was excellent, our food was excellent and we were not rushed as they space reservations out to allow a relaxed dining experience. The ambiance was great and even though the place was packed, it was not overly. If you like veal, try the veal Milano!Special Features:
- Almost Great.......LincDined on 10/9/2014We had a great meal except 2 of the 3 pieces of veal in the Saltimboca were very tough. The appetizers, deserts, and my wife's entrée were perfect. I loved the flavor of my dish, it was the tough veal that detracted from it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ambience Abounds!TerrierDined on 10/6/2014We enjoyed or anniversary celebration at Ristorante Massimo. The Wine List is fantastic, winning awards from Wine Spectator numerous times. The atmosphere is romantic and very cozy. We found the staff to be courteous and knowledgeable. The only problem was the food! My wife enjoyed a chicken dish, but I found my meal, a ravioli special, to be mushy and nearly inedible. I was told by our server that authentic pasta IS mushy. Well after enjoying Italian food for 59 years, I guess I've learned I don't like "authentic" Italian pasta. I'd give the restaurant another go, but avoid the pasta!Special Features:
- Muffyloves2dineDined on 10/4/2014One of the best restaurants in Portsmouth. Best of the Best.Special Features:
- Spectacular Dining!LudiDined on 10/4/2014My wife & I dined at Ristorante Massimo on Saturday October 4th for the very first time & were overwhelmed by the food, ambiance, & service. We were seated by Massimo, the owner, who treated us like his best long-term customer . I had requested a quiet corner table & lo & behold we were seated in a very romantic quiet alcove that seated only two. The food was creative, unique, extremely flavorful, & bountiful. The service was impeccable & the prices quite reasonable. I've dined at hundreds of restaurants over the years & I'd put Ristorante Massimo in my all time top five. Do yourself a favor the next time you dine in Portsmouth, NH & check this restaurant out. You will not be disappointed.Special Features:
- OutofTownerDined on 10/3/2014Very fine evening eating at this restaurant. Food was well prepared and very nice presentation. Our waiter Ken was excellent. Would revisit this restaurant again.Special Features:
- PriceyKelly123Dined on 9/20/2014It was great for a special occasion just not on our budget.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- When in Portsmouth, NH....MorticiaDined on 9/13/2014Ristorante Massimo is fabulous on all levels. The food, staff, wine selection and ambiance are top notch! Do not miss a chance to dine here when in the area.Special Features:
- OutstandingBrendaDined on 9/13/2014The ambience, food and service are all outstanding. The owner is present and friendly! Service staff professional and the food is simply outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wife/Lover will Melt in your ArmsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014Great place to impress your date. Expect a steamy night of loving after visiting this place, but be prepared to shell out some clams. Food was great, as was the service. I was very surprised by the amount of children considering the sophistication of the menu, but I guess in a tourist area you have to expect that some people don't use their best judgement.Special Features:
- CathyVIPDined on 9/8/2014What a pleasure to dine here....spotlessly clean; beautifully clad wait staff in tuxedos who gave great service, lovely room and superb food. And guess what? You can actually carry on a conversation! The mix and match starters offering, among others, grilled local white asparagus, stuffed zucchini blossoms, goat cheese stuffed figs, various cheese and Italian cured meats - perfect portions all wonderfully prepared and delicious. Possible to share an appetizer portion of the pasta special (shrimp stuffed ravioli in lobster veloute.....divine) and then a veal chop and for me a rib eye. Both came with plenty of vegetables (another rarity these days) carefully cooked and beautifully presented. Worth every penny.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved itcamjacoVIPDined on 9/6/2014So glad we went there....was incredible food and Massimo was very friendly and welcoming. Will go back when we are in the area.Special Features:
- A Great Dining Experience.AgustaDined on 9/6/2014My wife and I have been there 4 times and every experince we have had was fantastic. The wait staff is great and having Mr. Massimo walking around ensuring folks are happy is great. He takes pride in his business and so does the entire wait staff. I have recommended this place to many folks and will continue too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 39 AnniversaryLUCKY39Dined on 9/6/2014WE had a wonderful time. Ken was our waiter, he was FANTASTIC!!! He took the time to share with us our Anniversary. Our Meals were amazing. I had the Raviolli with lobster sauce for appetizer, Main meal called Arogosta: was 2 Lobster tails with Lobster and Risotto. My wife had a Pappardelle(which is black pasta with sausage.Special Features:
- Dissapointed.PaulieVIPDined on 9/5/2014No chicken dishes on menu. Limited seafood considering it's in a seafood city. Ordered steak they brought out veal chop. Owner tried best to make up and at end did not charge for steak. Classy move.Special Features:
- BillTBillTDined on 9/2/2014Very nice atmosphere. Excellent service. High end Italian food. If you looking for the regular Italian pasta dishes this is not the place. Will go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- remarkable hostOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/29/2014The owner of Ristorante Massimo is the most attentive, hands on host we have ever seen. The quality of his food compliments his welcoming, personal touch with all patronsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional diningPaulQDined on 8/29/2014The food is delicious, beautifully presented and efficiently served.Special Features:
- Welcoming As AlwaysScotia65girlDined on 8/29/2014On the occasion of my husband's long awaited retirement I made reservations. As always greeted at the door with a warm smile and conversation. Love the old world ambience. Wait person was wonderful, attentive, made suggestions about wine choices for my husband, nice sense of humor and very professional. We enjoyed the meal, we always do on our special occasions. Ordered ahead of time a special dessert for my husband and it was done and quite delicious. All in all it was a lovely evening topped off with a walk through downtown Portsmouth ,,,,,,,,,,, just perfect! Now that he is retired we will be able to dine there on more than special occasions ; )Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as always.LorenzoDined on 8/23/2014I am never disappointed at Massimo's! Food is perfectly prepared. As good or better than any place in about on.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014We were welcomed and seated promptly by the staff while we waited for our guests. The food, cocktails, and service were outstanding! I highly recommend Ristorante Massimo, and will return again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- palu22Dined on 8/19/2014Had a great dinner to celebrate our 50th anniversary. Massimo spent a good deal of time with us and made us feel welcomed. We were seated in a private and quiet back room which was nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thanks for a great eveningsupt493massDined on 8/18/2014We had not been to Massimo in several years and were surprised to find their new lounge area upstairs. The food was outstanding! Great wine. Ken, our wait person, was friendly, attentive, and made great recommendations. We thoroughly enjoyed our anniversary dinner at Ristorante Massimo. We would highly recommend this restaurant. Thanks for a wonderful evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- upscalePhilVIPDined on 8/14/2014Wonderful cuisine. Not your "typical" Italian American restaurant. The chef's selections transcend the peasant dishes, which we all love and are wonderful, and take the diner into Italy's finer gourmet cuisine. It is wonderful, wonderful. Go!Special Features:
- Best Italian in NH.NHseacoastDinerDined on 8/7/2014Friendly and professional staff. I've never had a bad meal here and always leave full and pleased. Wonderful meats and cheeses in the Charcuterie and the best Gnocconi I've had in a long time.Special Features:
- Portsmouth DelightStudenDined on 8/7/2014Ristorante Massimo provides an outstanding locale for intimate, relaxed dining. The wide selection of entrees is matched by the attention to all of the elements that make for a memorable dining experience. Go! Enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Massimo's is a GemBillDined on 8/4/2014We have dined at Massimo's on quite a few occasions. It is, by far, the best Italian themed restaurant North of Boston!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unexpectedly GREAT!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/1/2014Our first visit to Portsmouth - We secured this reservation as a "default" after 3 other recommended restaurants were booked solid. All I can say is WOW - Lucky us!!! Everything about this place is excellent - food, service, wine selection, ambiance. Would 100% recommend - cannot imagine any of the other 3 restaurants we "missed out" on were better than Ristorante Massimo!! Five stars!Special Features:
- ExcellentBSO1Dined on 7/30/2014Food, service, ambience - all were wonderful! This was our pick, out of so many area restaurants, to celebrate our anniversary.Special Features:
- 45th Wedding AnniversarynicetocelebrateDined on 7/29/2014We chose this restaurant for our anniversary, knowing it would be a good experience. From the moment we arrived, we were treated very special with each staff member wishing us Happy Anniversary. It made our anniversary celebration really special. The atmosphere here is quiet and comfortable with wonderful service. The grey sole I had and the veal dish my husband had were both prepared perfectly. We have dined here before and will continue to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Touch of ClassRobertBDined on 7/29/2014Ristorante Massimo didn't disappoint. The restaurant is located in a quietly elegant brick cellar dining room that is is both comfortable and intimate and is a step or two ahead of most of the offerings in trendy Portsmouth NH. The house-made tagliatelle carbonara and pappardelle della nonna pasta plates were served al dente in attractive, lid-covered white ceramic deep dishes; and both were hot, fresh and delicious. Our entries - vitello alls griglia (grilled veal chop) and gamberetti fritti (gulf shrimp served over ratatouille) were moderately priced and were also excellent and are highly recommended. R. Massimo's wine list is not extensive, but is well represented by well-priced, mid-level, high quality Italian and US wines.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FCJReviewDined on 7/28/2014great service. would return to try again, but highly recommend the beef tenderloin. The reduction sauce was the finishing touchSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always TerrificredwineVIPDined on 7/26/2014Ristorante Massimo always pleases. The service is impeccable, and Massimo can be seen going from table to table, checking that everyone is happy with their meals. The food is interesting and well prepared with many small plate offerings. As always, it was well worth the drive from Boston.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 7/25/2014Wonderful restaurant and perfect for a special dining night. Somewhat pricey but the food and service lived up to the expense. They even took the time to stuff our martins olives with blue cheese.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/19/2014We had a wonderful evening. The food items are inventive and excellent.Special Features:
- A special nightFoodDude16Dined on 7/19/2014My wife and I enjoyed a relaxing and pampered evening. The waitstaff is trained and attentive. The food is artistic and good tasting. The atmosphere cozy and romantic. Prices are reasonable for what you get. Ordering is a bit challenging and you need to really read through how each item is prepared to make sure you are not making a mistake getting something you will not appreciate. There are taste melds that occur and these may not be attractive to individual palates. Overall a nice dining experience.Special Features: