59 Penhallow Street
Portsmouth, NH 03801Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.ristorantemassimo.com/
- Phone: (603) 436-4000
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm
Monday - Friday: for groups of 5 or more - We ask that a guest call by 12:00p.m. the day of the reservation to cancel or we reserve the right to charge a $20.00 per person fee.
Saturday: all reservations - We ask that a guest call by 12:00p.m. the day of the res reservation to cancel or we reserve the right to change a $20.00 per person fee.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Jethro Loichle
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Ristorante Massimo is the perfect setting for celebrating a special occasion or hosting a corporate event. Here guests can enjoy customized menus, an intimate setting and impeccable service. Our elegant private dining room can accommodate up to 20 guests and special arrangements can be made for larger groups. State-of-the-art audiovisual equipment is available. We look forward to taking personal care of every detail of your entertaining needs.
- Private Party Contact: Massimo Morgia 603-436-4000
- Entertainment: Our staff!
- Cross Street: State Street
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: Ristorante Massimo offers complimentary weekend valet service. Our private lot is available for guest parking midweek. Simply alert the maitre d' of your arrival via telephone and we will gladly provide access to our gated lot.
A word from Ristorante Massimo
Nestled like a hidden jewel in historic downtown Portsmouth, New Hampshire, Massimo's warmly lit brick and stone grotto walls, fresh flowers and oil paintings of magnificent Italian landscapes transports guests to Florence, Rome and Venice. Guests relax in a richly appointed atmosphere beneath mahogany-beamed ceilings and private parties unwind in their own intimate dining room. Ristorante Massimo offers authentic dishes from all regions of Italy. From innovative concepts to timeless Italian favorites, our executive chef creates each dish with a distinctive, refined touch as found in some of the worlds most celebrated restaurants. Thoroughly unforgettable, unbelievable satisfying. **limited dining room availability offered online**Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Ristorante Massimo - Best Restaurants in Portsmouth ›
Ristorante Massimo reviews from OpenTable diners
122 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelModerate
romantic (106)special occasion (101)fit for foodies (75)notable wine list (60)neighborhood gem (52)good for groups (16)hot spot (8)vibrant bar scene (7)late-night find (6)Show More
- More than you expect ...FineDinerVIPDined on 11/20/2014The food is always very good and the attention you receive from the owner and staff is wonderful. They always go above and beyond to make your visit quite pleasurable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Throwback Thursday is a HitBBR2VIPDined on 11/20/2014Not our first time here, the food & service is the best in Portsmouth. The prix fixe Throwback Thursday menu delivered generous portions with a selection for every palate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant week at MassimoBigRdDined on 11/15/2014We had a great dining experience at Massimo. The menu selections were excellent and the portions were generous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Satisfied with service, food, ambiance,EVERYTHING!PortAliDined on 11/15/2014My 4th visit here and I've never been disappointed with anything in this Portsmouth gem of an eatery. My son and his girlfriend recently ate upstairs in the wine bar. They felt it was somewhat noisy so if you are looking for a more intimate setting, head downstairs. I give it 5 stars...always have.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant WeekportsmouthladyDined on 11/14/2014We selected three restaurants for Restaurant Week in Portsmouth, all high end. This was absolutely the best, hands down.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, service, atmosphereFireballVIPDined on 11/14/2014Wonderful food- everything we had was delicious and well prepared. The Pork Osso Bucco was a hit, a large enough portion to share, but too good to share other than tastes to my two companions! Staff are knowledgeable, helpful and friendly from the time you walk in until you leave. There are several rooms to dine in, varied sizes- pleasant atmosphere. Definitely a place to return to and feel comfortable recommending to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Respect Your NeighborBBR2VIPDined on 11/12/2014The food is superb and the service is the best in SE NH but unfortunately we were seated in a small wood paneled room with a low ceiling and there was a woman at the next table who wanted to entertain the whole restaurant with her life history. Some people should just use their mouths for eating, she talked non-stop and I can imagine how she ate anything. It started as we sat down, I thought about getting up and leaving but the food and service is so good that I decided to tough it out. People should have some respect for their neighbors and shut their yap if they don't have an inside voice!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service , Ambiance and FoodSnipperetteVIPDined on 11/11/2014My husband and I had a late reservation at Massimo's. We had been interested in trying the restaurant, and Portsmouth Restaurant Week was the perfect reason to stop in. The restaurant was full and we were a few minutes early, so the owner guided us upstairs to the bar, where we had a few drinks and a complimentary small plate of meatballs (which were fantastic!) while we waited for our table. The staff members were fantastic and upbeat and our table downstairs ended up being very much worth the wait. We had a fantastic dinner, great service all evening, and enjoyed the romantic feeling of the restaurant. We will definitely be returning to Massimo's some time soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always excellentLewHDined on 11/11/2014Portsmouth is well-known in the region for its great restaurants. We've lived here for 38 years. This is the best restaurant in town. For sure. A long track record of excellent food and great atmosphere. Prices reflect that fact. But it's always, always a great value. This visit was no different. Excellent in every way.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will return soon!BoomersDined on 11/10/2014As shown in my rating above, very pleased with our dining experience. "Private" parking directly across street, welcoming host, party of six seated quickly, attentive staff with service when needed and everyone in party was pleased with menu choices, presentation and quality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousjeannieDined on 11/9/2014Outstanding in every respect. Massimo himself was there to personally greet us and come by our table. Celebratiing its 25th year in Portsmouth, this restaurant represents the best in Italian cuisine in an elegant, yet casual environment and offers fabulous entrees and an excellent wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Resturant week2fordinnerDined on 11/8/2014Went to this resturant due to recommendations from friends. The owner was super friendly, staff very good, service great. However the food was disappointing. Presentation beautiful but everything was very bland. From appetizer to dessert nothing had flavor. I still would give the resturant a second try due to the staff and ambianceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of our FavoritesDexterDined on 11/8/2014Massimo's is amazing. The food, The ambiance, The Wine, The wait staff. WE always have a great meal. Candance is the Best, always offering great food and wine selections. We will be back soon.Special Features:
- Fantastic experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/8/2014My husband and I have been wanting to dine here for a long time. I made reservations a couple of weeks ago for last night (Saturday night during restraunt week)...I read all the reviews and must agree.......it's definitely one of the best places to dine in portsmouth! Service was superb, Ken did a fantastic job...he knew the menu very well and gave us some excellent suggestions. .....the staff worked in unison and was very attentive. the food was delicious. What a nice experience, you'd think we were in the north end of Boston.....I'm sure we will be back!!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/7/2014We have been patrons for many years and Massimo's continues to exceed expectations. We always feel welcome and satisfied.Special Features:
- Great ExpectationsGrav22Dined on 11/7/2014We thought Massimo's would be a real treat. We were shown to a lovely table, but unfortunately things went downhill from there. Our server was a little unpolished and intrusive, perhaps a little more training is called for. The food, on the other hand, could not be saved. We had the gray sole and salmon dishes and both were bland, bordering on tasteless. It doesn't take a lot of effort to go from good to great; I'm willing to put up with a lot to get a great meal. But I sensed that Massimo's had been better in the past, and that things have slipped and no one seems to have noticed. Even the owner seemed to lack interest in being a restauranteur. It's a real shame, because the potential is definitely there.
- MassimoKejeeDined on 11/7/2014Nice atmosphere, a little dated. Very quiet location, food was good.Special Features:
- Ristorante Massimo a special placedinefromRyeDined on 11/6/2014We have been going to Ristorante Massimo for years and it continues to be our favorite special place to go. Starting with the warm greeting, leading to the superb food and ambiance. A place to bring friends who will appreciate the best in fine Italian Dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a pleasurable experienceRobertDined on 11/6/2014We were dining with friends, and for them it was a first time experience to dine at Ristorante Massimo. The food was superb and the service attentive. It's always a wonderful experience that gets talked about for weeks to come.Special Features:
- Absolutely Perfect!SpacehydrantDined on 11/6/2014My fiance and I went to Restorante Massimo and were pleasantly surprised! The host, wait service, food, and ambiance were excellent! The staff went out of their way to make us feel special and catered to our every request. Honestly, I could not find a negative about this place! If you are an Italian food lover, you MUST stop by Ristorante Massimo!Special Features:
- nice placeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/4/2014Booked for a birthday celebration. Meatballs and a salad were shared. 2 guests has filet and 2 had veal for main entrees. All the food was reportedly delicious. Service was great.Special Features:
- Good all aroundwineguyVIPDined on 11/1/2014Considering restaurant is in the basement, the visit was first rate. You quickly forget you are underground in the warm inviting atmosphere. Food is well prepared and reasonable size. If you are looking to supersize your meal this is not the place. If you want to leave feeling you ate just the right amount of tasty dishes, this is a good find. Wine list reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/1/2014We ended up at Massimo's after visiting their upstairs bar for small plates and a glass of wine in the spring. We were so impressed with the small plates we went for dinner. The menu is limited but every item we had was exquisite. I would return without hesitation and with anticipation of an exceptional meal.Special Features:
- Best Service & Italian in townradioman42001Dined on 11/1/2014From the moment you walk into Ristorante Massimo, you know you are in for a treat. It is the lower level of an old building in downtown Portsmouth, NH. Very tastefully restored. The staff is dressed to the 9's! Everyone greets you, and asks if there is anything you need. Our waitress took the drink orders, and delivered them herself. Food orders were delivered by others, but she was always back to make sure all was done well. They have tastefully designed dishes, and presentation is first class. Even when leaving for the evening, everyone we walked near, asked if we had a good time, and thanked us for coming. Even the owner came to the table, and met us as we were leaving. You cannot go wrong here unless you do not like food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- kevmoDined on 10/24/2014What a gem. The food is great, the service is attentive but not smothering. A great date night destination.Special Features:
- Lovely and accommodatingOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/24/2014We made very early dinner reservations since we had a show to attend. We were given a table in a lovely spot and were provided wonderful service. Massimo's bread is very similar to actual Tuscan yet more palatable to our liking. We chose a meat and cheese plate that was complemented very nicely with pairing options. For wine, I loved the Sean Minor Cabernet. We had a small plate of the Tagliatelle Carbonara, which was delicious. I regret that I didn't ask for an entree portion as I was disappointed in my expensive Vitello alla Milanese. The Pollo alla Anna was a good choice. Our server presented us with a gorgeous mini cannoli & candle as a birthday treat. Overall, we would love to return and I will ask for the pasta full plate!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic Italian foodJaniceVIPDined on 10/23/2014Massimo is the nicest restaurant in Portsmouth if you are looking for great food plus Ambiance. Nice menu, great variety, and excellent service makes a enjoyable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointedhard2pleaseDined on 10/22/2014From the reviews, we thought this would be a fine dining experience, but alas... First, the staff members with whom we came in contact, had a bit too much "attitude" for us. We have eaten in some of the best restaurants in the world and have found that the better the restaurant, the more polite and helpful the staff. Without going into detail, we did not find that to be true here. Secondly, though the meats we ordered were very well prepared, the surrounding accompaniments were not. The vegetables were poorly cooked, the bread was stale and hard, and we wished we had a hatchet to crack through the crust of the cannolis. Most disappointing.
- Great PlaceMCBorsiDined on 10/20/2014We were looking for a nice place to meet out of town friends for dinner. From the second we arrived and had drinks at the warm and friendly bar to our meal downstairs everything was super. We've decided to add Massimo to our recommended and return list.Special Features:
- We WILL be back!TheHowellsDined on 10/17/2014Love this place! Absolutely outstanding food and service! Great for special occasions. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/15/2014we enjoyed our time at Ristorante Massimo the Restratore was very personable, Waitress was very very good, wine was awesome.We ejoyed our time at Massimo's about 4hrs everthing was greatSpecial Features:
- Birthday celebrationCTreviewerDined on 10/13/2014Made a reservation based upon Trip Advisor recommendations. Previous reviews were right on the nose. Excellent meal in a quiet authentic location. We each had the lobster which were prepared uniquely and tastefully. Would highly recommend. We went on a Monday, but on Thursdays there is a fixed price menu that looks quite appealing.Special Features:
- Excellent!FootlooseDined on 10/11/2014We met friends for a special celebration and we're not disappointed. Our waiter was excellent, our food was excellent and we were not rushed as they space reservations out to allow a relaxed dining experience. The ambiance was great and even though the place was packed, it was not overly. If you like veal, try the veal Milano!Special Features:
- Almost Great.......LincDined on 10/9/2014We had a great meal except 2 of the 3 pieces of veal in the Saltimboca were very tough. The appetizers, deserts, and my wife's entrée were perfect. I loved the flavor of my dish, it was the tough veal that detracted from it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ambience Abounds!TerrierDined on 10/6/2014We enjoyed or anniversary celebration at Ristorante Massimo. The Wine List is fantastic, winning awards from Wine Spectator numerous times. The atmosphere is romantic and very cozy. We found the staff to be courteous and knowledgeable. The only problem was the food! My wife enjoyed a chicken dish, but I found my meal, a ravioli special, to be mushy and nearly inedible. I was told by our server that authentic pasta IS mushy. Well after enjoying Italian food for 59 years, I guess I've learned I don't like "authentic" Italian pasta. I'd give the restaurant another go, but avoid the pasta!Special Features:
- Muffyloves2dineDined on 10/4/2014One of the best restaurants in Portsmouth. Best of the Best.Special Features:
- Spectacular Dining!LudiDined on 10/4/2014My wife & I dined at Ristorante Massimo on Saturday October 4th for the very first time & were overwhelmed by the food, ambiance, & service. We were seated by Massimo, the owner, who treated us like his best long-term customer . I had requested a quiet corner table & lo & behold we were seated in a very romantic quiet alcove that seated only two. The food was creative, unique, extremely flavorful, & bountiful. The service was impeccable & the prices quite reasonable. I've dined at hundreds of restaurants over the years & I'd put Ristorante Massimo in my all time top five. Do yourself a favor the next time you dine in Portsmouth, NH & check this restaurant out. You will not be disappointed.Special Features:
- OutofTownerDined on 10/3/2014Very fine evening eating at this restaurant. Food was well prepared and very nice presentation. Our waiter Ken was excellent. Would revisit this restaurant again.Special Features:
- PriceyKelly123Dined on 9/20/2014It was great for a special occasion just not on our budget.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- When in Portsmouth, NH....MorticiaDined on 9/13/2014Ristorante Massimo is fabulous on all levels. The food, staff, wine selection and ambiance are top notch! Do not miss a chance to dine here when in the area.Special Features: