59 Penhallow Street
Portsmouth, NH 03801Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.ristorantemassimo.com/
- Phone: 6034364000
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm
Monday - Friday: for groups of 5 or more - We ask that a guest call by 12:00p.m. the day of the reservation to cancel or we reserve the right to charge a $20.00 per person fee.
Saturday: all reservations - We ask that a guest call by 12:00p.m. the day of the res reservation to cancel or we reserve the right to change a $20.00 per person fee.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Jethro Loichle
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Ristorante Massimo is the perfect setting for celebrating a special occasion or hosting a corporate event. Here guests can enjoy customized menus, an intimate setting and impeccable service. Our elegant private dining room can accommodate up to 20 guests and special arrangements can be made for larger groups. State-of-the-art audiovisual equipment is available. We look forward to taking personal care of every detail of your entertaining needs.
- Private Party Contact: Massimo Morgia 603-436-4000
- Entertainment: Our staff!
- Cross Street: State Street
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: Ristorante Massimo offers complimentary weekend valet service. Our private lot is available for guest parking midweek. Simply alert the maitre d' of your arrival via telephone and we will gladly provide access to our gated lot.
A word from Ristorante Massimo
Nestled like a hidden jewel in historic downtown Portsmouth, New Hampshire, Massimo's warmly lit brick and stone grotto walls, fresh flowers and oil paintings of magnificent Italian landscapes transports guests to Florence, Rome and Venice. Guests relax in a richly appointed atmosphere beneath mahogany-beamed ceilings and private parties unwind in their own intimate dining room. Ristorante Massimo offers authentic dishes from all regions of Italy. From innovative concepts to timeless Italian favorites, our executive chef creates each dish with a distinctive, refined touch as found in some of the worlds most celebrated restaurants. Thoroughly unforgettable, unbelievable satisfying. **limited dining room availability offered online**Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Ristorante Massimo - Best Restaurants in Portsmouth ›
Ristorante Massimo reviews from OpenTable diners
92 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelModerate
romantic (78)special occasion (74)fit for foodies (48)notable wine list (37)neighborhood gem (36)good for groups (9)hot spot (3)late-night find (3)vibrant bar scene (2)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- remarkable hostOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/29/2014The owner of Ristorante Massimo is the most attentive, hands on host we have ever seen. The quality of his food compliments his welcoming, personal touch with all patronsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional diningPaulQDined on 8/29/2014The food is delicious, beautifully presented and efficiently served.Special Features:
- Welcoming As AlwaysScotia65girlDined on 8/29/2014On the occasion of my husband's long awaited retirement I made reservations. As always greeted at the door with a warm smile and conversation. Love the old world ambience. Wait person was wonderful, attentive, made suggestions about wine choices for my husband, nice sense of humor and very professional. We enjoyed the meal, we always do on our special occasions. Ordered ahead of time a special dessert for my husband and it was done and quite delicious. All in all it was a lovely evening topped off with a walk through downtown Portsmouth ,,,,,,,,,,, just perfect! Now that he is retired we will be able to dine there on more than special occasions ; )Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as always.LorenzoDined on 8/23/2014I am never disappointed at Massimo's! Food is perfectly prepared. As good or better than any place in about on.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014We were welcomed and seated promptly by the staff while we waited for our guests. The food, cocktails, and service were outstanding! I highly recommend Ristorante Massimo, and will return again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- palu22Dined on 8/19/2014Had a great dinner to celebrate our 50th anniversary. Massimo spent a good deal of time with us and made us feel welcomed. We were seated in a private and quiet back room which was nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thanks for a great eveningsupt493massDined on 8/18/2014We had not been to Massimo in several years and were surprised to find their new lounge area upstairs. The food was outstanding! Great wine. Ken, our wait person, was friendly, attentive, and made great recommendations. We thoroughly enjoyed our anniversary dinner at Ristorante Massimo. We would highly recommend this restaurant. Thanks for a wonderful evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- upscalePhilVIPDined on 8/14/2014Wonderful cuisine. Not your "typical" Italian American restaurant. The chef's selections transcend the peasant dishes, which we all love and are wonderful, and take the diner into Italy's finer gourmet cuisine. It is wonderful, wonderful. Go!Special Features:
- Best Italian in NH.NHseacoastDinerDined on 8/7/2014Friendly and professional staff. I've never had a bad meal here and always leave full and pleased. Wonderful meats and cheeses in the Charcuterie and the best Gnocconi I've had in a long time.Special Features:
- Portsmouth DelightStudenDined on 8/7/2014Ristorante Massimo provides an outstanding locale for intimate, relaxed dining. The wide selection of entrees is matched by the attention to all of the elements that make for a memorable dining experience. Go! Enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The flavor of PortsmouthjerseygirlDined on 8/6/2014A spectacular evening, a gracious host and a very helpful waitstaff. A wonderful place for a special celebration (for us it was a birthday) however, any evening spent in such a lovely environment suddenly becomes special. The food is delicious and the choices are many. Spend a lovely evening at Ristorante Massimo and you will find yourself going back again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Massimo's is a GemBillDined on 8/4/2014We have dined at Massimo's on quite a few occasions. It is, by far, the best Italian themed restaurant North of Boston!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unexpectedly GREAT!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/1/2014Our first visit to Portsmouth - We secured this reservation as a "default" after 3 other recommended restaurants were booked solid. All I can say is WOW - Lucky us!!! Everything about this place is excellent - food, service, wine selection, ambiance. Would 100% recommend - cannot imagine any of the other 3 restaurants we "missed out" on were better than Ristorante Massimo!! Five stars!Special Features:
- ExcellentBSO1Dined on 7/30/2014Food, service, ambience - all were wonderful! This was our pick, out of so many area restaurants, to celebrate our anniversary.Special Features:
- 45th Wedding AnniversarynicetocelebrateDined on 7/29/2014We chose this restaurant for our anniversary, knowing it would be a good experience. From the moment we arrived, we were treated very special with each staff member wishing us Happy Anniversary. It made our anniversary celebration really special. The atmosphere here is quiet and comfortable with wonderful service. The grey sole I had and the veal dish my husband had were both prepared perfectly. We have dined here before and will continue to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Touch of ClassRobertBDined on 7/29/2014Ristorante Massimo didn't disappoint. The restaurant is located in a quietly elegant brick cellar dining room that is is both comfortable and intimate and is a step or two ahead of most of the offerings in trendy Portsmouth NH. The house-made tagliatelle carbonara and pappardelle della nonna pasta plates were served al dente in attractive, lid-covered white ceramic deep dishes; and both were hot, fresh and delicious. Our entries - vitello alls griglia (grilled veal chop) and gamberetti fritti (gulf shrimp served over ratatouille) were moderately priced and were also excellent and are highly recommended. R. Massimo's wine list is not extensive, but is well represented by well-priced, mid-level, high quality Italian and US wines.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FCJReviewDined on 7/28/2014great service. would return to try again, but highly recommend the beef tenderloin. The reduction sauce was the finishing touchSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always TerrificredwineVIPDined on 7/26/2014Ristorante Massimo always pleases. The service is impeccable, and Massimo can be seen going from table to table, checking that everyone is happy with their meals. The food is interesting and well prepared with many small plate offerings. As always, it was well worth the drive from Boston.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 7/25/2014Wonderful restaurant and perfect for a special dining night. Somewhat pricey but the food and service lived up to the expense. They even took the time to stuff our martins olives with blue cheese.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/19/2014We had a wonderful evening. The food items are inventive and excellent.Special Features:
- A special nightFoodDude16Dined on 7/19/2014My wife and I enjoyed a relaxing and pampered evening. The waitstaff is trained and attentive. The food is artistic and good tasting. The atmosphere cozy and romantic. Prices are reasonable for what you get. Ordering is a bit challenging and you need to really read through how each item is prepared to make sure you are not making a mistake getting something you will not appreciate. There are taste melds that occur and these may not be attractive to individual palates. Overall a nice dining experience.Special Features:
- Outstanding!buster007Dined on 7/19/2014This was our 2nd time there and it did not disappoint. Ambiance is exceptional: service was outstanding. The waiter knew every food and how it was made. He is a genius with wine. An overall 5 star rating and a great place especially for a romantic night out! Its a little pricy but worth it.Special Features:
- Great ExperienceNH603Dined on 7/12/2014My girlfriend and I had wonderful dinner at Massimo. Our waiter Maurice was both knowledgeable and pleasant. The ambiance was very warm and classic Italian. We had the scallop dish as our first course and then ordered both the carbonara and gnocconi with beef to split. For desert we tried the s'mores dish that was very interesting. We would highly recommend the scallops and the gnocconi as those dishes were absolute top notch. Overall every aspect of the experience was great and we will be going back to Massimo.Special Features:
- MarleneDined on 7/11/2014My husband and I ate at Massimo's about 4 years ago. The food was outstanding and so was the service. We had a chance to go back to Portsmouth so we decided Massimo's was a good choice for dinner. Unfortunately, the waiter got our dinner mixed up with the table next to us. When dinner was served, the gentlemen got my husbands dinner and the lady got what she ordered. I was served an entirely different dinner and waited, in my opinion, too long for the correct dinner to arrive. My husband ate as slow as possible so he wouldn't finish before I received my dinner. I think this was an isolated incident and I am not judging the restaurant on this one hicup. I got a free dessert which was delicious. We will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VERY good upscale Italian foodchuckmac07VIPDined on 7/10/2014it's in a basement so it's a bit dark/dreary, but more than makes up for the setting with attentive, stellar service and terrific food choices & execution. scallops, pasta & apps were all excellent. a very strong choice in Portsmouth & the best Italian on the Seacoast region.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh & FlexibleOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/9/2014The food was very fresh. Also there were unique and lovely Italian wines to choose from. The menu list was short but the waitress (and chef) accommodated our table's (of 8 people) every request for individual preparations Definitely going backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional!joanneDined on 7/5/2014We have been enjoying Massimo's for years. It is one of our favorites. The food, service and ambience are the very best! The owner Massimo always personally stops by each table. Massimo's is an exceptional place.Special Features:
- Fabuloustlc946Dined on 6/27/2014One of the finest meals in Portsmouth! Outstanding service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FANTASTICDexterDined on 6/27/2014We had the seven course chef tasting menu. It was the best meal I ever had. We chose to do the wine pairing as well which was a great idea. Everything paired very well with each dish. We will return many time. Our server Candace was fantastic. Thank you Massimo for a very enjoyable evening you always make it special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/20/2014We had a wonderful dining experience on our return to celebrate birthdays. Our waiter, Ken, had excellent recommendations for the menu selections and wine. He was detailed and attentive. We were in the room at the back which is lovely but when you sit facing a wooden wall the experience would be better with a mirror to project the ambience of the room that is lost on the diner that gets to face the wall.Special Features:
- Fantastic food experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/18/2014Our dinner at Massimo's was superb. We felt like we had been transported to Italy with beautiful setting and music, thoughtful service and excellent food. When they ran out of the lobster special for the night the chef went out and got a lobster and whipped up another portion for us. I recommend this restaurant to anyone who truly appreciates great food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousFreddyDined on 6/7/2014The restaurant is wonderful. Nice atmosphere and great food. Reserve early, there's never any seats left.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great timedavid38766Dined on 6/4/2014I took a first date here and we had a great time. Our waiter, Maurice, was exceptional. The food was great and the atmosphere was perfect.Special Features:
- GeoffDined on 6/3/2014Good food, service and ambience. Everyone in our party enjoyed our dining experience.Special Features:
- HungryDined on 5/31/2014Massimos is always top-notch. Very consistent with excellent food and wine, and Massimo himself always makes everyone feel welcome. Our favorite restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- birthday dinnervisitingVIPDined on 5/24/2014Great place, very elegant place to dine, very good service, friendly and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a special placeseabroncoDined on 5/17/2014Massimo graciously welcomes and sets the tone for a wonderful evening. Waiters are helpful and food selection is fabulous. Great wines with a comfortable pricing range accent the outstanding taste of the food. A truly memorable evening with Massimo bidding you a good evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expected a little moreOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/17/2014What a beautiful restaurant! The atmosphere was lovely - the food however, not so great. The manager was very nice and came and spoke to us regarding our occasion. He was very accommodating. The service however, not so great. We clearly weren't a priority as some of the other patrons.Special Features:
- DisappointedDennisDined on 5/10/2014I have been to this restaurant before and really loved it. But this time I chose the special because the entre sounded so good with pouched shrimp over ravioli. The dish I received was fried soft shelled crab over ravioli. I like crab so I ate it...half way through I told our waiter what I had as I felt he needed to know so he wouldn't advise others it was shrimp. He apologized and said he thought that special was over and he would correct it but I was almost through so I said no that was alright. When I was done, a bowel of shrimp appeared..too lateSpecial Features:
- Dinner in ItalyFoodieDined on 5/8/2014Having dinner at Massimo's is as close to Italy as you can get without traveling there! The space is beautiful, food excellent, and service impeccable. Your host, Massimo will welcome you and make you feel like you are family. Enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.