Ristorante La Luna Rossa
2404 Edmonton Trail NE
Calgary, AB T2E 3M8Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
Ristorante La Luna Rossa
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.lalunarossa.ca/
- Phone: (403) 452-3080
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30 AM - 2:00 PM;
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00 PM - 10:00 PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary Italian, Italian, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Benny Ricioppo
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Cafe, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We do offer private dinning. Our restaurant capacity is 45. Parties between 35-45 you may book the entire restaurant.
- Private Party Contact: Fausto Ricioppo 4034523080
- Cross Street: 23rd ave. NE
- Public Transit: There are several public transit stops. One is right in front of the restaurant heading north bound. The second heading south bound both on Edmonton Trail.
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: We offer free parking to all our clientele. Parking is right in front of the restaurant and is very accessible.
A word from Ristorante La Luna Rossa
We are one of Calgary"s best and authentic Italian restaurants. We have been recognized by the Italian government "Ospitalita Italiana" for outstanding quality and authentic products from Italy. Whether it may be our made in house pastas, our weekly fresh fishes and great quality products from Italy, we have something to offer everyone! Our fantastic duo of Chefs Benny and Alessandro Ricioppo have been cooking great Italian cuisine for years and are coming up with fresh new ideas everyday and have incorporated them in both our lunch and dinner menus. To our outstanding friendly and great staff we are sure your dining experience with us will be a joyous occasion!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Ristorante La Luna Rossa reviews from OpenTable diners
17 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (13)fit for foodies (10)romantic (7)special occasion (7)good for groups (6)notable wine list (4)great for lunch (3)late-night find (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- WSB TravellerEvccarlDined on 11/21/2014Great Restaraunt, service was very good, food was hot and very good! Would recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Part of the FamilyJoanneVIPDined on 11/8/2014You feel like part of the family when you walk into La Luna Rosa and the food is exceptional. Our favorite go to restaurant!Special Features:
- Food to rememberFredLikesgoodfoodDined on 11/7/2014Absolutely fantastic Italian food, its like dinning in Florence or Rome !!! What I do is tell the chef to choose what he would recommend as he knows what food ingredients are the best that day. I just say a" pasta dish " + " mixed grill " specifying what my likes and dislikes are such as I want fish or I want rack of lamb, and then leave the rest up to him. The wine list is good without being ridiculous , and is reasonably priced. The food is reasonably priced. It is best if you have a group of 4 or more, so you can have a variety of the best food that day. If you are just 2, then order a la carte and go with their recommendations.Special Features:
- Always a favouriteKdinerDined on 10/23/2014Over many years & no matter how long between visits, food always wonderfully prepared, & tasty! Service is thoughtful & perfectly paced! Always make me feel welcome. In my top 3 restaurants overall!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of Calgary's best kept secretsFeedMeVIPDined on 10/10/2014I'm not sure how I didn't know about this place. The quality of their food is outstanding. Everything was fresh and well prepared. And, DELICIOUS. Although the prices were a bit of a shock initially, the bill certainly was worth it, particularly when compared to other restaurants in Calgary. In sum: great Italian food and great service. I look forward to my next visit there.Special Features:
- OutstandingCannuckDined on 9/18/2014A real gem. Outstanding food and outstanding service. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Great food but slow serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/12/2014Be prepared to wait for your food. Appetizer took 45 minutes to come out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 50 reviews are from the Ristorante La Luna Rossa reviews archive.
- definitely coming backitalianfoodieDined on 7/26/2014This is definitely a great little restaurant. I know I will be heading back in the near future. When we first were seated I was not to happy cause we were right beside the open kitchen. But in the end I didn't even notice the noise as they stayed nice and quite. If your looking for Italian food look no further and come here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Classic Italian RestaurantregularcalgarydinerVIPDined on 7/25/2014We always get excellent food and friendly service from this family run restaurant.Special Features:
- Old FaithfulEatoutalotDined on 7/24/2014We used to dine at their previous premises on 14th St. NW and have never been disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tourist101Dined on 7/19/2014Second time we've been to this restaurant and both times the service and food were excellent family owned and operated. Love the small intimate atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BillyDined on 7/2/2014First time visit and was very pleased. Greet food, great and friendly service. Will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Italian restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/21/2014This is our " go to" Italian Restaurant. The specials are always varied and tasty and the pasta dishes are excellent. We have never had a bad experience.Special Features:
- Traditional ItalianAdelleDined on 6/12/2014We went on a Thursday evening with my parents. They were looking for Italian food and we were not disappointed. We asked the chef to cook a meal for us and we were treated with a delicious antipasto platter that include prosciutto and melon, shrimp, capresse salad and a meatball with fresh parmesan. The main was a nice selection of two pastas, veal scaloppini, a small hen with a crispy skin and grilled veggies. Dessert was a delicious cannoli. Great service. The only negative to the evening was a fellow diner that was seated at the table next to us who was very loud and was monopolizing the conversation at his table, which was very annoying and distracting.Special Features:
- Best kept secret Italian restaurantwattsviewDined on 5/27/2014This is an old style, family run restaurant where the kitchen is open to the guests and you can see "papa" cooking your dinner while sons/daughters serve it to you. Food is fresh, "home made" and great wine selection in mid price range. Don't be put off by its location in the burps....it is inner city and only a 10 minute drive from down town (Car2Go, anyone?) and parking is free. Great all year round, but they do usually shut down for the month of August so the family an go "home" to Italy, so plan accordingly!Special Features:
- Great italian foodThomiThumbDined on 5/17/2014Wonderful meal! Our group of 4 had: liver special; lobster tail, veal scallopini al limone, and ravioli. It was all great. Also had a delicious dark chocolate gelato for dessert. Very happy to have found this spot!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Genuine service but meh foodSeanBearDined on 5/16/2014Went here with visiting family members. Ambiance is nice and the staff were very friendly. Drink orders taken promptly and they are not shy about filling your glass. Food timing was biggest problem. From seating to cheque took 3 hours and entrees took over 2 hours with at least 1 hr from ordering to delivery. Food itself is decent but portion sizes were small. I left feeling hungry. I'd like to see them get better as it seems like a nice joint but all in all, I'm in no hurry to return.Special Features:
- Wonderful food!TerryDined on 5/16/2014If I could, I'd adopt the whole family! La Luna Rossa is a family owned and operated business- and the care that is put into every aspect of the restaurant reflects their well-deserved reputation for excellence. I had liver for the first time in 30 years because I knew that if Benny or Salvatore cooked it I would like it. And I did! Terri's lovely lemon sponge cake was the lightest counterpoint to a perfect meal and her bread is an addiction of it's own. Yum! :) The front of the house is managed by Faustino and like the rest of his family, he is a most gracious and caring host. I've been here several times, always had great service and an outstanding meal. Thank you! I can hardly wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our Favorite Italy away from ItalyThemasDined on 5/14/2014We go to La Luna Rossa for all of our special occasion. The service and ambiance is spectacular there. It is so warm and inviting because of all the family members that work there. One or more of us, always orders the special, because Benny does so good a job, that our mouths are watering from how good the dish always turns out! We will always return to La Luna Rossa!.Special Features:
- italiandiningDined on 5/6/2014We look forward to coming back again. We recommend to friends.Special Features:
- Great food....a local favouriteregularcalgarydinerVIPDined on 5/3/2014Service and atmosphere are always excellent and friendly in this family run restaurant. Specials and desserts are always the best part of the menuSpecial Features:
- Wonderful food and servicetravelingsandsDined on 5/2/2014Had our anniversary dinner at La Luna Rossa, and it was fantastic. The food was delicious, reminded us of our times in Italy. The service is outstanding, everyone is so friendly! We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's was an average restaurant,ChuckieDined on 3/14/2014It's was an average restaurant, the food was alright. We had the pasta overpriced for what you received and under sauced. The place was nice would give it another chance just wouldn't have the pasta. The hockey game in the corner absolutely ruined the dining experience.Special Features:
- So good we returned the next week!NewNicknameVIPDined on 3/7/2014Food & service was great. Relaxed. Perfect location (parking no problem)Special Features:
- BravodinnerVIPDined on 3/7/2014As always the best authentic Italian food in the citySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Service disappointing foodNMB123Dined on 3/6/2014Took my Mom there for dinner, I ordered gnocchi pomodoro, Mom had seafood soup and my boyfriend ordered the risotto. My gnocchi was so very disappointing. Over cooked and mushy, mom's soup tasted good but disagreed with her stomach when she got home. My boyfriends risotto was under cooked even though he ordered it the minute he sat down, to give them more than enough time to prepare. Sevice was fantastic, there were 2 waiters for 2 tables in the entire restaurant. I normally complain (having worked many years in the industry), as I feel the restaurant would want the feed back but my boyfriend hates it when I do that.Special Features:
- Great Authentic ItalianNewNicknameVIPDined on 2/28/2014We very much enjoyed our entire evening...food, wine, service...and very reasonably priced Will definitely returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful neighbourhood gemOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 2/27/2014Picked this with the very loose criteria of 'Italian', 'in the north of downtown' and 'on Open Table'. Driving up, it's an unassuming stucco building in an unassuming part of town. Walk in, and you enter a genuine italian bistro. Pellegrino and wine on each table, friendly service and an impressive range on the menu. House wine is excellent. The appetizers were authentically sicilian and amazingly flavourful. The main course (rack of lamb special) was absolutely spectacular; perfectly prepared, lovely reduction, and vegetables with flavour, not just included as an afterthought. Spectacular meals that foodies will enjoy. Will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- long waitOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/15/2014We have been to this restaurant several times and the food has generally been good with good service. This past weekend, we decided to try it again and while the food was good, we had to wait 1 hour for our dinner. I'm not sure what the delay was, as the restaurant was not full and we did not have any special requests. Contrary to the wait staff's claim that "it is worth the wait" - I respectfully disagree.
- Nice little restaurant, littleOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/15/2014Nice little restaurant, little over priced, $20 for gnocchi with sauceSpecial Features:
- Great Neighbourhood FindSuzeDined on 1/25/2014We are always looking for a nice little Italian restaurant that doesn't require us driving to the other end of the city and close enough to home that we don't feel it will be too expensive if we decide to indulge and take a taxi. Ristorante La Luna Rossa did that for us this weekend. Something new, something close and a pleasant little place to hang out with our daughter for an evening. The service was very good as was the food. There seemed to be quite a few young families there so if you have young ones this would be a good choice. Ours are no longer young but still loves to be taken out for Italian as often as possible :-)Special Features:
- Great ExperienceSammyDined on 1/24/2014This was one of the best dinning experience we have had I Calgary. Highly recommend for a nice dinner out. A little pricey but worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful Anniversary DinnerNeviDined on 1/24/2014Another fantastic dining experience complemented with great service & a lovely dinner! This is a dining favorite where you are always well looked after and pampered. A wonderful evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great LunchTuscanyBrentDined on 1/14/2014I was able to book lunch, the day of my customer meeting which was fantastic. The restaurant is a wonderful spot to take customers for lunch, as it was very quiet, the food was excellent, and the service outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Met all expectations!!AmandaDined on 1/2/2014My husband and I were last at La Luna Rossa when they were located on 14th street. We thought that it had closed up and were very disappointed, until we realized they had just moved! We went last week for a much deserved date night! The food and atmosphere were as wonderful as we remembered. Our server was very attentive and helpful. We cannot wait to go back!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Italian in CalgaryOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 12/28/2013Besides the food being amazing and super fresh, La Luna Rossa consistently has some of the best service at any restaurant in Calgary. I've eaten here at least 40 times and have never had a dining experience that didn't leave me totally satisfied. This is a wonderful family-run business that just keeps doing the little things rights. Best upper-scale Italian restaurant, and one of the best overall restaurants in Calgary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place to enjoy a groupRose2561Dined on 12/17/2013Great place to enjoy a group or an intimate meal. Presentation excellent, wine was great.Special Features:
- This is one of the best ItalianFredLikesgoodfoodDined on 11/29/2013This is one of the best Italian restaurants in Calgary. It is as good as any I have visited including in Italy. The lamb is especially good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great place !ChocothunderVIPDined on 11/8/2013awesome service and food ! home made feel ! cozy .. ! can be nooisy if there is a large group or family sitting adjacent to you, but its all part of that " family " run style!Special Features:
- Expensive for MediocrebellaDined on 11/1/2013First thing I noticed was that wine was $10/glass. Pretty pricey for an average pinot grigio. Started off with appetizer calamari, was simple fried topped with a spicy tomato sauce. Found Calamari to be chewy and lacked a good flavor. For a main course we had Gnocchi and the Luna Rossa (spaghetti w mixed seafood). Gnocchi was in a very thick white sauce and a healthy portion was given. The Luna rossa came with mussels, shrimp and squid. Once again squid was chewy as was the same as appetizer. Mussels did not taste good, kinda off. The only think that was good were the shrimp and the spaghetti, however if you want something authentically Italian, I don't believe this is the place.