Ristorante La Buca
711 Locust Street
Philadelphia, PA 19106Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Ristorante La Buca
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.ristlabuca.com/
- Phone: 2159280556
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Italian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room
- Private Party Facilities: Please call for details
- Private Party Contact: Guiseppi or Anthony Giulanni (215) 928-0556
A word from Ristorante La Buca
The name translates as 'the cave' with rooms decidedly 'dark,. La Buca offers excellent, fresh fare (especially the outstanding grilled fish & other traditional Italian seafood!) & experienced old-world service. La Buca is located below street level on Washington Square.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Ristorante La Buca reviews from OpenTable diners
30 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (17)special occasion (15)fit for foodies (14)good for groups (13)romantic (11)notable wine list (6)great for lunch (5)kid-friendly (2)late-night find (1)vibrant bar scene (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- dinner before a shownonnycarolannDined on 9/24/2014Ristorante La Buca is consistently a great place to go before the theater. The food is always delicious and well prepared and the service fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fav Philly Italian restaurantlsworkDined on 9/20/2014Love this restaurant. It never disappoints. Great food, great staffSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- avoid during restaurant weekdeliciosaDined on 9/19/2014At first our group of 7 was told we could not have the Restaurant Week lunch menu because there was a large group in the back room. We complained saying that was not our understanding when we made our reservation so they relented. The they said we could but everyone in our group 'must' have the "Restaurant Week menu. Again we strongly objected - and the waiter relented. 2 persons had the restaurant week menu - the rest ordered from the regular menu. Service was slow - and there was one order delivered that was totally incorrect. He gave the person the option of the erroneous meal at the Panini price - or he would get her Panini. She chose the meal delivered in error due to time concerns.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent restaurant in all ways!NormluvsgreatstuffDined on 9/18/2014This restaurant is our favorite restaurant and Tom Daley is our favorite waiter. The langastinos, sword fish, salmon are all outstanding. Tables are spaced to allow for private conversations without having to raise your voice. Always a perfect dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still grey food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 9/18/2014This restaurant has maintained its high standards for quality food and old fashioned excellent serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre-Theater dinnerdavesdiningDined on 9/5/2014Wonderful, friendly staff and a knowledgeable, friendly server. Our whole family was delighted and everyone had a different main course-all prepared beautifully and completely delicious! We loved it and will come back whenever we're in Philadelphia.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything was wonderful!going2mauiDined on 9/5/2014What a great experience. Everything was wonderful, the service, the food and the setting. I got held up in traffic getting to the restaurant and that was not a problem. Great place for dinner.Special Features:
- As good as everTapperVIPDined on 8/29/2014For those of us who appreciate the classic preparations, outstanding service, and attention to detail, La Buca is our reward! Fresh seafood abounds. The service is personal. You are treated like family. On my most recent visit, one of the greatest chefs Philadelphia has ever known was prominently seated at the bar enjoying a glass of wine. He knows La Buca is great, too! I encourage everyone to take their place at a table and savor a taste of the old school. The staff at La Buca will treat you to a dining experience second to none they will do it for a very reasonable price by anyone's standard. As always, I look forward to my next visit. Cheers!Special Features:
- Great food and staff!KatrinaDined on 8/23/2014Initally came across La Buca while helping a friend locate restaurants for her wedding rehearsal. We were looking for something in the city that would accomodate a large group and was near the hotel all of the out of towners were staying at. Lu Buca also happened to be right around the corner from the wedding venue. Upon arrival it is very quiet and laid back atmosphere. The staff are very nice and the Assistant Manager Abraham was wonderful. Very friendly and helpful. And then came the food! We had a great spread. Grilled shrimp, salmon and swordfish. Along with some grilled veggies and pasta. What an amazing meal! If you want great food and service I highly suggest this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best Northerrn Italian in CityNormluvsgreatstuffDined on 8/16/2014My wife and I have been to this restaurant countless times and have yet to be disappointed. We always ask to have Tom Daley serve us. Go and enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodReredishDined on 8/2/2014Food was excellent. Veal was tender and flavorful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always delivers gr8 food & servicelatinprofVIPDined on 7/1/2014our fav place pre-walnut theater. wonderful service for the wonderful food ...fish is always marvelous and other entrees are also outstanding. service is professional and friendly. highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Return to La BucaSandyDined on 6/24/2014I had not been to La Buca in many years, but for a pre-theater meal it was perfect. The food was as good as I remembered, the service was unobtrusive and respectful, and it was quiet enough for uninterrupted conversation. After I paid, the waiter politely asked if our meal was Ok, and when told yes, quietly and quickly retreated. I then realized that I had undertipped, and immediately excused myself to remedy the situation. Our waiter was pleased. I am not sure why La Buca had dropped off our radar, but the overall experience was excellent and we will make an effort to return again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ccpickellDined on 6/20/2014Great restaurant for a meal before the theater - very accommodating in getting us out in time for the play without being rushed. Excellent and varied menu. We will definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always enjoyableCeeCeeVIPDined on 6/7/2014Service, friendliness, food, never disappoints. Langoustino sweet and delicious, whole Dover Sole filleted table side, excellent .Special Features:
- The following 260 reviews are from the Ristorante La Buca reviews archive.
- Always a winner!KrisDined on 5/23/2014My family has been going here for over 30 years and the food, service and overall experience have always been beyond excellent. We've had only 2 waiters over all those years, even the staff keep coming back for more!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful and consistentlatinprofVIPDined on 5/23/2014Service is wonderful and food may be even better than that!!! Fish is always outstanding and veggies are perfectly cooked ...Veal is tasty and tender ...Desserts to die for...Perfect for neighborhood and pre-theater.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MehsteveDined on 5/17/2014A serviceable meal, but eminently forgettable. And too expensive for the quality of the cuisine.
- SpaciousvisitorDined on 5/16/2014It was graduation and prom night!! Hard to find a reservation for a party of 8 but this place is cavernous, literally! Food decent, service decent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not cool or trendy but still goodzeuscareusDined on 5/3/2014I have been to many of the restaurants in the city. Whenever I forget to make a reservation in time, my fall back is always La Buca. It's not cool or trendy but I must say, I've never had a bad meal there. The wine list is decent as well. I'm not sure why it doesn't draw more people, but that's fine with me. Their specialty is seafood prepared in an Italian style. The grilled langostinos are always very good and the branzino (filleted at the table) is very good as well. I can honestly say that I've never had a bad meal there.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/3/2014Consistently good food and especially fresh seafoodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SatisfyingOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/25/2014We have been here on numerous occasions & have always enjoyed the good food & excellent service. It is also close to the theater so it is a good choice in every respect.Special Features:
- favorite pre-theater dininglatinprofVIPDined on 4/16/2014love the food...usually get fish, but veal piccante was excellent.service always above average.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- La BucaOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/12/2014Dinner was delicious and one of the best parts was we could hear each other (4 in group) without shouting. While this is not cutting edge dining the food is fresh and the service is professional without hovering. A very relaxing and enjoyable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quiet lunchReviewer1VIPDined on 4/8/2014The food was very good, and the service was polite and attentive. The ambience is likely better at dinner. Only two other tables were in use at lunch.
- Wonderful MealDianeDined on 4/1/2014We have been big fans of Ristorante La Buca for many, many years. They never fail to please us. Whether we order veal or pasta, the food is excellent. The wait staff is professional, helpful and pleasant.Special Features:
- Undiscovered lunch gemSteveinPhillyVIPDined on 4/1/2014La Buca (off Washington Square) has been here for ages and the decor hasn't changed - nor the great food. With REAL Italian food and prices under $15 at lunch this is a great find. It's never really busy so good place to meet friends and talk. This week's service was fine too. We'll be backSpecial Features:
- My long time favoritetsd3849Dined on 3/28/2014I have dinning at La Buca going on 26 years. I have never been disappointed. The Dover Sole is to die for. The drinks are generous and Tom, our server, as always, was at the top of his game. This restaurant continues to be at the top of list.Special Features:
- LaBuca is the Best!MargaretVIPDined on 3/15/201439 years after it opened, LaBuca is still packed, the wait staff consists of professional waiters, the food is delicious! A perfect getaway for a lovely meal and fine wine!Special Features:
- Food was good, but not excitingclicketyclackVIPDined on 3/15/2014If you are looking for a relaxed, old-world experience complete with the generally now-disappeared food cart then La Buca is your place. It was well attended mainly by a well-healed elderly crowd from the apartments nearby on Washington Square. Thus, it is in a very nice area. The service was very professional yet we did not feel rushed. The food was good, but uninspiring.Special Features:
- Classic Italian experienceFitzDined on 3/7/2014La Buca was recommended to us by our innkeeper at Locanda Sant'Agata in Tuscany Italy. Since the fare at Locanda Sant'Agata was outstanding we couldn't wait to take him up on his recommendation. We were dining early before an evening event. We called ahead for respervations and were seated immediately when we arrived. The service was prompt but unhurried. My wife ordered the eggplant casserole and branzino. The branzino was filleted at tableside by our server. Both courses were excellent. My meal was a speck salad and vitello la buca - a veal cutlet topped with asparagus and crabmeat. We didn't get a chance to sample the desert cart because of our evening plans. We look forward to returning to La Buca to explore the rest of the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- REAL Italian food at great pricesSteveinPhillyVIPDined on 3/6/2014La Buca has been around for 35 years (I think) but I always thought of it for dinner. Last week we went for lunch and the food was great and really reasonable. We efven ordered dessert and were out for under $25. before tip. The waiters are old school and try to be clever - somethimes they are.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cozy little findKelli11Dined on 2/27/2014Ristorante la Buca wasn't what I was expecting, but it was lovely. Very quiet and a little bit "old world," but the food and service were absolutely outstanding. We had the tomato mozzarella to start and then linguini with clams and veal parmesan. Everything was excellent. My glass of Pinot was also very generous. Great for a quiet date night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciosofoodisloveDined on 2/15/2014The food and desserts were amazing. The service was also spot on.Special Features:
- La Buca serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/24/2014Our server was especially talented at fileting the fish; she was also very polite and personable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We love it and go there often.DobbiDined on 1/16/2014We love it and go there often. We love it for reasons that might not appeal to some): the menu changes hardly at all; dignified atmosphere; no glitz; peace and quiet; comfortable seating. Food is entirely to our taste--fresh, simple, delicious Italian cuisine. Fine fresh fish. My five stars for the food might be your three stars, because the chef isn't always trying to create something new and exotic. Drinks are excellent. I could make a meal of their spinach with garlic. It's our "go to" restaurant whenever we want a lovely, dependable dinner.Special Features:
- Washington Square BestLocaldocVIPDined on 1/13/2014Washington Square's Cheers. Informal bar (dinner at the bar is discounted). Usually the bar is populated with locals, but seldom crowded. Have never had a bad meal here. Great pasta, Dover sole is to die for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had a 5:30pm reservationpeteDined on 1/4/2014We had a 5:30pm reservation because we had tickets to an 8:00pm show. We didn't get seated until after 6:00pm, we didn't get our appetizers until after 7:00pm and our entrees until 7:30. There was no time for coffee or dessert. Very, very disappointing.Special Features:
- good Italian dining in Center CityNantucketVisitorVIPDined on 12/20/2013Very nice once they moved us to another table, there were several holiday parties going on. Beef not recommended but the shrimp and risotto was wonderful and the staff was very attentive, especially since they were very busy.
- A favoriteDianeDined on 12/19/2013This is the first review I have written for LaBuca. It has been a favorite of our for many, many years. Why? The food is consistently excellent and the service can't be beat.Special Features: