Ristorante Don Giovanni - Mountain View
235 Castro Street
Mountain View, CA 94041Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Ristorante Don Giovanni - Mountain View
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.dongiovannis.com/
- Phone: 6509619749
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:30pm, Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Friday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Saturday - Sunday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Dessert, Italian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, BYO Liquor, Cafe, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Catering is available upon request - contact us for details and pricing! Experienced corporate catering to large events.
- Special Events: Turkey Earthquake Relief Benefit Dinner - November 13th at 6:30PM - $55 per person Includes delightful menu, free bottle of wine for every pair of tickets sold. All proceeds go directly to victims of the earthquake via the Kurdish-American Cultural Center. Please help the people of Turkey! --- FREE Thanksgiving Day Dinner All day Thanksgiving, from 11AM to 4PM, no reservations, first come first served.
- Cross Street: Villa
- Public Transit: One block from Downtown Mountain View Caltrain and Light Rail station. VTA bus lines 34, 35, 51 and 52 stop at the Villa and Castro intersection.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Public parking is readily available. Public parking lots and street parking is available behind the restaurant and on surrounding streets.
A word from Ristorante Don Giovanni - Mountain View
Ristorante Don Giovanni welcomes you to enjoy authentic Italian cuisine on Castro Street in Mountain View, California. The warm and inviting atmosphere complimented by the Italian decor, makes this the place to celebrate any special occasion, romantic dinner, or just a simple home cooked Italian meal. Lunch and dinner menus include: Antipasti, Insalate & Minestre, Pasta, Rotisserie, Panini, and Fish along with an extensive Wine list and Full bar. Let Ristorante Don Giovanni provide you with excellent service and facility for your next event. We offer custom tailored menus that are just right for your breakfast, brunch, lunch, and/or dinner needs. Our facility can provide: TV * VCR * PA SYSTEM WITH MICROPHONES * POWER POINT * OVERHEAD PROJECTOR * WIRELESS MICROPHONE * FLIP CHART STAND/PADS/MARKERS * DIRECT PHONE LINES AND INTERNET ACCESS * MOTEL AND TRANSPORTATION ACCOMMODATIONSContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Ristorante Don Giovanni - Mountain View reviews from OpenTable diners
59 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (26)good for groups (21)fit for foodies (20)special occasion (15)romantic (14)notable wine list (13)great for lunch (10)great for outdoor dining (8)kid-friendly (6)late-night find (2)Show More
- Great dining placeHHfoodieDined on 10/10/2014Good ambience, tasty food and nice professional staff. Recommend this place for a group of friends or a nice dinner for 2.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worst experience everLASfoodDined on 10/8/2014Immediately upon our informing wait staff we were using voucher, we were treated like second class citizens. Although the voucher specifcially stated terms and food availability, we were restricted to what could be ordered, and service was inefficient, infrequent, and surly attitude. While I am a generous tipper (for acceptable to good/great service) I tipped based on service received, (more than deserved) for worst service ever experienced Upon departing, we were CHASED out of the restuarant, and told that we HAD to tip 17 or 18% based on voucher requirement. Not only did voucher not state that, just the nerve alone of the person chasing us out in the parking lot to pay additional tip was beyond belief.
- Good Food & Friendly ServicenotafoodreviewerDined on 9/26/2014Food was good and service was outstanding. Was satisfied with me and my wife's dinner at Don Giovanni.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, quiet for a WednesdayAnneBDined on 9/17/2014The price was right and it was not crowded at all so the slow service at the end of our meal was inexcusable. Overall, however, we had good service and good food. I'd go back again.
- Good classic ItalianLaurahVIPDined on 9/13/2014The menu is classic Italian, not exciting, but the food is well prepared. The wine list is also extremely classic -- all the California wines are well-known vintners. We had a nice meal -- the special veal chop was excellent, the mixed mussels/clams were delicious. The dipping sauce for the bread was insanely garlic-y (which isn't necessarily a complaint).
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/10/2014The service was lackluster - we were forgotten for the first 10 minutes. Our waiter twice asked us to rearrange things on the table so he could place bread and later our antipasti, not in any appreciative or apologetic way. I don't mind things like that when a the staff is clearly overloaded, but he had an attitude as if it was our job to do. Bruschetta was unappealing and overloaded with salt. The rest of the food was fine, but the whole experience was definitely not worth the price.
- Sunday dinnerMom05112014Dined on 9/7/2014We have eaten at this restaurant several time. It's nice to see that most of the same people are still there after all these years. The food was extremely good. We had Oysters Rockefeller that were the best we have ever had. The only disappointment was our table was facing the wall and wine display. It felt cramped. We will definitely be back, however. This is one of our favorite restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Find - Off the Beaten Pathmac10Dined on 9/7/2014Great Italian food at affordable prices. Everything was tasty and well-prepared. Service was excellent. We're really glad we tried this restaurant. Didn't know Mountain View had such a gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placePenguinVIPDined on 9/2/2014Outstanding with good good, wine. Positive energy. Fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- just okOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/31/2014I went to the restaurant because I had heard about how the owner provides a free meal on Thanksgiving (or Christmas, I can't remember) for people in the community (assuming those who are poorer) and wanted to support the business. The food was fine, not exceptional though. The restaurant interior was quite nice and comfortable. I felt that our waiter was a bit brusque and even a bit condescending towards me (and my mom). I would go back if it weren't for the service.
- Very poor serviceMypersonalopinionDined on 8/30/2014The food was good but we did not receive a water refill, an offer for coffee or a dessert menu, and several tables left before us, having been seated and served after we arrived. I had to lay my credit card on the table in plain view and stop a server - not ours - just to get the check. Admittedly they were busy but having been a customer there for over 10 years, I am very disappointed in the service and will not return.Special Features:
- a nice eveningshirlVIPDined on 8/26/2014as always a very good dining experience. the restaurant wasn't very busy, so the noise level was down, making conversation easy. i continue to return time and again.Special Features:
- Usual high qualitySonnyjDined on 8/24/2014Back to one of our favorites. Service and food were outstanding. We had some special requests , ie no garlic, which were accommodated without question.Special Features:
- Once Appropriately SeatedbillhiltonDined on 8/23/2014We were seated promptly, unfortunately next to a table with a man using his cell phone and talking rather loudly. I requested that he go outside to talk on the phone. He didn't move. I expressed disapproval of his choice in firm tones. Almost immediately afterwards, a waiter asked if we'd like another table, and when we said yes, were moved to a quiet corner table. From that moment, our foursome had a delicious, well-served, comfortable dinner. Everything after relocation was GREAT! Two veal scaloppini's were wonderfully tender and flavor filled. A special linguini was terrific. Two desserts were pronounced excellent.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/2/2014Excellent dining. Wonderful service with a great attitude and personality. Will be sure to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Menue and KitchenOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 7/27/2014While food we've ordered and delivered to us was of good taste and value, the following 2 facts definitely have made negative impact on overall experience. 1. At 5:30 pm sitting, we were some of the very first evening visitors. There was ON MENU cream brulee ... which was later reported by the Kitchen that they "run out" of this on-menu offered selection. 2. Even worst was with the listed ON MENUE cherry gelato. Without telling us that they have none, we were server raspberry sorbet (neither gelato, not cherry) in - I assume - believe that we,as customers, would not see/know the difference. The waitress was very apologetic and supportive AFTER we've pointed to the substitution and offered not to charge us for the sweets.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner before a concertZmanDined on 7/26/2014I had never been here before but other reviews said it was good so we gave it a try. We were impressed with the great food and service. Our server was attentive but not bothersome. I am leery of specials but the halibut was fresh tasting and we were very pleased with our whole experience. On top of it all it's only a short distance from Shoreline Amphitheater!Special Features:
- ExcellentVivaVinoDined on 7/23/2014Had dinner on a Thursday night with a group of friends from work. The food was delicious and reasonable priced. I have dined at Don Giovanni quite frequently and was glad my friends enjoyed the meal. All said they would return with their families. If you want a delicious Italian meal, great service and not break the bank. This is the place for you! You will not be disappointed. Guaranteed.Special Features:
- Pasta with extra garlic please!ChefrjVIPDined on 7/23/2014One of my regular dinning spots for pasta but they always have excellent daily specials.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SpikeemDined on 7/15/2014Good time for our group. Nice selctions to cover various taste and diet requirements.Special Features:
- Great Italian foodSeniorDinerDined on 7/12/2014The fried calamari appetizer was the best I've had anywhere. The breading was light but crisp and the squid was very tender. Our group had three different pasta dishes for lunch. All were cooked perfectly, served piping hot with sauces that were balanced, well blended and exquisitely seasoned. We topped off the meal with a marvelous,decadently rich chocolate mousse with strawberries and whipped cream. The house Pinot Grigio was a nice complement to the linguini with clams. You can take your gourmet friends there with confidence knowing they will enjoy a very nice meal.Special Features:
- Great RestaurantKalSandhuVIPDined on 7/3/2014This restaurant has been in downtown Mountain View for a long time. The beuaty is that the servuce and food are always outstanding. And every Thanksgiving they feed over a thousand folks for fre as a thank youy to tyhe community.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a good choiceCabogalVIPDined on 6/27/2014We all had an enjoyable meal with good food served promptly. The vegetables were fresh and varied, not the typical packaged mix. Servings are sized well and look appetizing on the plate. We all had the Greek salad, which was a generous portion and nicely dressed. My chicken piccata was very tasty. The chocolate mousse was yummy. My only service suggestion is that plates are not taken away before everyone has finished. I actually had to grab mine back because I was saving my favorite little bites for last and my plate was almost empty.Special Features:
- Service outstandingcricketDined on 6/25/2014Food was mixed. Bruschetta was very good; for some reason this restaurant doesn't seem to believe in crispy Calamari. Maybe crispy style is an Americanism or something, but that's how I prefer it. Overall the food was not up to the standards I expected from prior visits.
- The following 347 reviews are from the Ristorante Don Giovanni - Mountain View reviews archive.
- Excellent FoodbellamtnviewDined on 6/18/2014It was my first time at this restaurant. I read the yelp review and wanted to take my friends who live around this area to a fine dining experience. We really enjoy our food, they were delicious. However, we had to wait for awhile for our service from our waiter even though the restaurant wasn't busy. Later our waiter explained to us what was the holdup so it was fine. Overall, I would strongly recommend this Italian restaurant.Special Features:
- Chock BlockedLondon16Dined on 6/14/2014In London when a restaurant is fully booked - it is referred to as chock blocked. This was the case at Don Giovanni Mountain View when we had arrived - never the less our reservation was honored and had received our table within three minutes. Food, service and ambiance were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don GiovannifiedlerDined on 6/5/2014We went for lunch and I had the Frutti di Mare which comes with a mild saffron sauce. All of the various fish was very good but the sauce was tasteless. My wife had the Rigatoni con Salsiccia and said it was very good.The restaurant was clean and the wait staff very friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don GianvonniItalianDined on 6/3/2014Great restaurant. Excellent food and friendly professional service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday Graduation DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/31/2014The atmosphere was open and delightful. The wall scenes are very artistic and colorful. It was a fun and comfortable dining room. Red Zin was great! Our waitress Josie was helpful, friendly and fun. The calamari was tender, crispy but slightly salty for me. I tried the polenta appetizer and it was very good. The sourdough was soft and tasty but was not hot, which I love. The Halibut special was delicious. My family also loved the Bolognese and the Filet special (Pricey!) Desert was ordered, Mousse, Bread pudding and Gelato, all good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Group experienceDavidFDined on 5/25/2014Our group if 16 arrived at 5:30 on a Sunday afternoon with reservations and we were seated promptly in a quiet, uncrowded restaurant. The service and food were excellent, and people in the group could converse easily with adjacent friends. It was a good experience for us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LunchnamasteDined on 5/21/2014Had a nice lunch with excellent service which was polite and attentive to our needs. Food was excellent. Only had lunch so don't know how dinner would be. Will try one time a dinner for sure.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/10/2014We were a party of 12 and had attentive and timely service. The food was delicious and was enjoyed by all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A reliable favoriteSuzanneDined on 5/5/2014As always, the staff makes us feel like they are happy to see us. No matter if we are bringing out of town company or our children with us, there is something for everyone in a fine dining atmosphere. It's our "go to" restaurant. We enjoy the food very much. Love, love, love Don G's!Special Features:
- Deb18VIPDined on 4/30/2014This is one of our favorite restaurants that we come to often. We were celebrating our 13th anniversary and came to this restaurant on our first date. We were wished "Happy Anniversary" by more than one employee. Service and food were outstanding as usual! With dessert, we were each given a complimentary after-dinner drink. What a nice surprise!!Special Features:
- Great late lunchSonnyjDined on 4/24/2014Oir first time here for lunch. Have had dinner several times. Arrived about 1:30 for lunch. They close at 2:30 until dinner. Fast , professional service. Food arrived quickly and was outstanding, as usual.Special Features:
- Seafoodlover2014Dined on 4/19/2014Made resv for a birthday dinner on Aril 19th on Opentable, request a nice table. When we arrived, restaurant didn't care if we had a resv. or not. We were seated a table near the front door which was open and the cold air was chilling(it was a cool evening). The server didn't take time the difference of the 2 Italian wines and the specials well. The is no excitement , character in the food. I won't return to the restaurant again
- Don GiovanniwassDined on 4/18/2014Overall we had a good meal. The menu is mostly Northern Italian, which means it is much more than pasta. The pictures of the Godfather were a little confusing, but we enjoyed the dinner. My wife had the clams and I had the sole--both cooked nicely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice first experienceRookiestarrDined on 4/13/2014We visited on a Sunday night so it was quiet. The service was very good. Great salads, bread, and dipping sauce. We all liked our dinners. The only slightly negative comment was that the Pollo ai Carciofi did not have any Marsala flavor. The rest of our party loved their meals.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- shirlVIPDined on 4/13/2014the food and service were just great. another dining pleasure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had a great dinner andTallSwedeDined on 4/10/2014We had a great dinner and my friend is allergic to Garlic and they worked around it beautifully.Special Features: